0FDD1C21-77B6-453C-86FB-981C835EDC30 (resized).jpeg
CF41E053-800B-42F0-8BDB-829A992E5B27 (resized).jpeg
4D1C8739-1E1C-4EAE-B105-1AEEBCD948F9 (resized).jpeg
20220728_163751 (resized).jpg
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

The Otto on the playfield is not what I envisioned when Joe Balcer first described him. I don't think it lived up to his vision either. To me he looks more like an evil dwarf in a barrel than Otto the Oktoberfest bartender. I got a 3d printer for my birthday, and since I had some time on my hands, I decided it was time to see if I could bring my vision for Otto to life. I've always felt we should see more of his body and arms, but I knew from the start it would be a challenge given the limited space to work with (a big reason why Otto is like he is). It has taken a lot of trial and error, but I am very pleased with how he came out . . .

I think, he looks a lot more like Otto with the arm movement adding a whole new dimension. The effect is a bit different whether Otto is left or right handed. While I am not a professional modder, I would like to see this version of Otto in more machines, so I will make these available to those who are interested.

Each Otto will be painted by hand, and it takes about a week to go through the process of printing, sanding, priming, painting (10 colors), second coats, touch ups and finally a satin finish. I expect there will be some variation between Ottos. I can only make a few at a time, and there are already names on the list, so I want to set expectations that these won’t be shipping tomorrow. 
 In addition, I may find I need to make some tweaks after the first few get installed, given potential differences in how things are mounted in the machines.

The cost will be $200 + shipping ($15 for US48). You can choose if you want him left or right handed, but I will also offer the option of a second set of arms (with pretzel and beer stein), so you can switch Otto to be the other way. Cost for the second set of arms will be $30.

If you want to get on the list, please send a PM and I will add you. As I said, I am not a professional modder, so I have no clue on shipping things outside the US, so for now it will be US only.

Questions?

#2 1 year ago

Excellent Otto Josh !

Makes me wish I had the game to stick him in.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Wow, that turned out fantastic. Great job! How about a double stein option? I have heard that Otto can really slam it down! haha.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from RobF:

Wow, that turned out fantastic. Great job! How about a double stein option? I have heard that Otto can really slam it down! haha.

Tried that originally, but the space is just too tight.

#5 1 year ago

Awesome!

#6 1 year ago

That's amazing Excellent work and idea.

#7 1 year ago

Holy cow! That looks great!

#8 1 year ago

Ich Liebe Otto!
Pm sent for the list.
Thanks for doing these and excellent job!

#9 1 year ago

That looks incredible! Resin or FDM print?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That looks incredible! Resin or FDM print?

FDM, pla+ and petg for the stein

#11 1 year ago

Great job, rosh!

#12 1 year ago

That looks amazing! We received our Oktoberfest last week, it's such a great game. A very nice addition!

#13 1 year ago

Wunderbar Rosh!

PM sent

#14 1 year ago

Wow, that's great Josh! Tempted to get on the list even though I don't have an Oktoberfest yet.

#15 1 year ago

Honestly this looks like a labor of love you took in your hands, and it's very beautiful, you're making my favorite game even better.

#16 1 year ago

I need a lefty Otto.

#17 1 year ago

Wow! You made the ultimate feel-good pin feel even better.

#18 1 year ago

You hit the bullseye with this one!
Great mod!

#19 1 year ago

I want to thank everyone for the positive feedback, it is nice to see how the hard work to bring my vision to fruition is appreciated.

I have now replied to anyone who has sent a PM, if you did not get a reply, please message me.

BTW, on those on the list, it is an even split between left and right handed. One person wanted left, as they are a lefty. Another wanted right since Otto is holding it in his right hand on the backglass. I will point out that when playing one handed, you are holding your stein in the left. As I mentioned there is a little bit of a difference as to how he looks based on left and right handed, depending on where he is looking during game play. I could not decide which I liked better, those the reason I went with the choice. To be honest, took a bit of work to get him to work both ways, as the clearance on side is a bit tighter than the other.

#20 1 year ago

I do enjoy the left handed one, I feel like he's got a good eye on the ball and drinks to celebrate better as a lefty, as the ball hits the ramp and loads the keg.

#21 1 year ago

The arm movement being done by the simple rail is pure genius. I don't know how you thought of that and worked it in a limited space.

#23 1 year ago

PM sent. What a great upgrade for a great game!

2 weeks later
#24 1 year ago

Josh - Any possibility of turning this project into a mechanical topper build for OKT? I’d love to see Otto on top of the head tapping a keg or chugging a frosty brew. Something Bavarian or cuckoo-clock style.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Josh - Any possibility of turning this project into a mechanical topper build for OKT? I’d love to see Otto on top of the head tapping a keg or chugging a frosty brew. Something Bavarian or cuckoo-clock style.

I have not really thought about doing that and I have some different thoughts on a topper, if I ever did one.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

I have some different thoughts on a topper,

Dancing beer maidens with big mugs. Like the figures that come out of a cuckoo clock and go in a circle and dance.

#27 1 year ago

First batch of Ottos have gone out.

IMG_6737 (resized).JPGIMG_6737 (resized).JPG

a QR code to get to the Installation video is in the box, but here it is as well . . .

#28 1 year ago

Oktoberfest Masskrugstemmen Pinball style
Prost!
Love it Rosh, outstanding job!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#29 1 year ago

Wow, looks so great
Still no shipping to Germany ?
Would be great, if you can do it

Prost and many thanks anyway

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

[quoted image]
a QR code to get to the Installation video is in the box, but here it is as well . . .

Looking great and a lot of lefties!

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

An amazing job Josh. A great addition to Oktoberfest !

Quoted from jellikit:

a lot of lefties!

Sounds good to me.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from wizard1:

Wow, looks so great
Still no shipping to Germany ?
Would be great, if you can do it
Prost and many thanks anyway

I will add you to the list, be at least a month before I get to you, so gives me time to see what the options are. Please PM me your address so I can look into it.

Quoted from jellikit:

Looking great and a lot of lefties!

In this batch, I believe, there were 3 right handed, 1 left handed and 4 both sets of hands. I tested all of them, as I don't like to glue the stein or pretzel in until I do. I test both sets of arms, so they will then ship with whichever I test last. Of course not every machine is going to be exactly the same, so variations in the 'height/placement' of the metal disc Otto sticks to could create some issues, requiring some adjustments on the machine or a different 'ring'. Hopefully, we won't see that often.

#33 1 year ago

Those look fantastic Josh! Can’t wait to get mine!

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

In this batch, I believe, there were 3 right handed, 1 left handed and 4 both sets of hands. I tested all of them, as I don't like to glue the stein or pretzel in until I do. I test both sets of arms, so they will then ship with whichever I test last. Of course not every machine is going to be exactly the same, so variations in the 'height/placement' of the metal disc Otto sticks to could create some issues, requiring some adjustments on the machine or a different 'ring'. Hopefully, we won't see that often.

I was also counting lefties, ha! These look great!

After watching the install video, very clever design as well!

#35 1 year ago

"Don't spin otto" .... Last step of instructions "spin otto"

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

"Don't spin otto" .... Last step of instructions "spin otto"

LOL, I thought I said don't spin Otto fast, maybe I forgot the fast part, but doing it slowly is okay. Not sure at what RPM you would create enough power to damage the boards, but probably not a lot, and last thing I want is someone toasting a driver board while installing Otto.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from domvertorix:

very clever design as well!

Thanks, I know a few folks thought I had some kind of gearing inside, but sometimes the simple solutions work best. When I went to do the first print, I thought I should do the arms separate to make it easier. And from there it was a very short trip to the idea of making them move and within a few minutes the idea of the ring with the humps was formed. I probably went through more than a dozen rings and quite a few versions of the arms, to get it to work as desired. Originally I had him holding two steins, but once I went to the movement, that just was not feasible with the limited space.

#38 1 year ago

I think I see a resemblance between the new Otto and Josh, (or maybe I just had one Weihenstephaner too many for breakfast this morning). Nice work!

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I think I see a resemblance between the new Otto and Josh, (or maybe I just had one Weihenstephaner too many for breakfast this morning). Nice work!

I see the self-portrait as well. A true master of his craft!

#40 1 year ago

I love mine and he is very happy on my game,I was an early adopter with one of the first Octoberfest and have always wanted some mods other than the flags,the way you made it so very simple is the best part

Thanks so much.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#41 1 year ago

I had no idea how the arms moved before it was pointed out,very creative.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

LOL, while someone else said that, I think you have had one too many Weihenstephaners I based it on the images of Otto used on the backglass and in the game. So any deviation from Otto's look, is purely due to my limited skills in creating sculptures in Blender. Not saying there is no resemblance, we are both very good looking, and we both have close set eyes and a grey beard, but the rest of my hair is not grey and my big nose is long with a bump vs being bulbous, I also have a narrow face vs his is wide.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I love mine and he is very happy on my game,I was an early adopter with one of the first Octoberfest and have always wanted some mods other than the flags,the way you made it so very simple is the best part
Thanks so much.
[quoted image]

That got to you fast, I just shipped them yesterday. I assume that ramp cover is not interfering with his arm movements. I did do a test with one of those, but it was a different design then the one you are using.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

LOL, while someone else said that, I think you have had one too many Weihenstephaners I based it on the images of Otto used on the backglass and in the game. So any deviation from Otto's look, is purely due to my limited skills in creating sculptures in Blender. Not saying there is no resemblance, we are both very good looking, and we both have close set eyes and a grey beard, but the rest of my hair is not grey and my big nose is long with a bump vs being bulbous, I also have a narrow face vs his is wide.
[quoted image]

Ok, now I have to ask, you ever curl that stache?

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Ok, now I have to ask, you ever curl that stache?

Nope, never

#46 1 year ago

The first time may be Expo...

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gifezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
#47 1 year ago

Otto has already found a drinking partner.

20220728_163751 (resized).jpg20220728_163751 (resized).jpg
#48 1 year ago
Quoted from domvertorix:

Otto has already found a drinking partner.
[quoted image]

Is that a tap handle topper project?

#49 1 year ago

Wünderbar!
Look what was waiting for me when I got home tonight! Thanks Rosh! The Lagniappe was a nice surprise and the perfect touch!
Won’t ruin that part for the others by posting a pic.
Prost!

4D1C8739-1E1C-4EAE-B105-1AEEBCD948F9 (resized).jpeg4D1C8739-1E1C-4EAE-B105-1AEEBCD948F9 (resized).jpeg
#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Is that a tap handle topper project?

That thought crossed my mind, but only after I started collecting. Board is 3' and will eventually hold 10 handles. I suppose it could be shrunk to 6 spots for the official Oktoberfest/Munich breweries. That would make for a sweet topper.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-s-otto-reimagined?hl=nicoy3k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.