IMG_0457 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0455 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 4.26.50 PM (resized).png
Pinside_forum_7355536_2 (resized).jpg
oktoberfest shooter 2 (resized).jpg
Oktoberfest Shooter (resized).jpg
IMG_9338 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
oktoberfest_release_notes.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_8800 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3852 (resized).JPG
IMG_3853 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Gilboys:

Send us owners a rule set and with it more explanations about how the Steins help out in a tent

I believe the manual will be updated soon with more detailed rule set information.

There's no mystery about how the steins help tents. Every stein is associated with a specific tent (shown on-screen when selecting a stein; also, when choosing a tent, the stein icon will show up on the door if you have it). If you have one stein, the associated tent is scored at 2X. If you have two steins, the associated tent is scored at 3X. And if you have three steins, the associated tent is scored at 4X.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

1.) From time to time my food tent drop down continuously goes up and down a few times.
2.) The ball goes flying down the food tent ramp almost always hitting the glass and flinging down the left out lane, what adjustment should I make?

Try coil adjustments for both of these... for the first issue, slightly increase the coil power for "Drop Target". What you describe can happen if there's not quite enough power to lock the drop target in place when resetting it.

For the second issue, try decreasing the coil power for "VUK". You want enough power so the ball consistently gets up the vertical and onto the horizontal wireform, but no more power than that. At that point, if balls still fly off the rail instead of dropping cleanly into the inlane, you might need to slightly bend the wireform... contact American Pinball Support for help with this. <https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/>

1 month later
#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Just offer a squeaky clean "family friendly" version and an "adults only" version with edgy humor. No need for anything more and owners/operators can simply choose between one or the other.

This is exactly what we're doing. "Family Friendly" is the default setting, but owners/operators can turn this setting off if they want the spicier A/V.

2 weeks later
#104 4 years ago

Nah. Once in awhile when you make the left orbit -> upper ramp combo, Otto will say "The Picard Maneuver! Nicely done." We're just having a little fun.

1 week later
#117 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

I'm seeing some multimillion mode scores across the board, is there some kinda multiplier going on? A Stein exploit?

Hopefully there's no stein *exploit* (but I'd love to hear about it if there is)... but multipliers, we've got those a-plenty. Tent scoring multipliers via steins, playfield scoring multipliers via the top TAP lanes, bonus multipliers via duck targets.

There's a pretty decent, though still incomplete, rule sheet over on TiltForums: http://tiltforums.com/t/oktoberfest-pinball-on-tap-rulesheet/5353?u=joe

2 weeks later
#209 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

So I actually just went back to the game and manually put it into the flipper meistro mode again. Once the 2nd to last ball drained (thus ending the multiball mode and being left with 1 ball), the screen went black and the game reset. This is how it happened the first time also. It’s got to be something with this mode.

I may have fixed this a week or two ago, but Josh and I will examine the logs you sent and make sure it is indeed fixed. Apologies for the trouble.

1 month later
#246 4 years ago

Paul_from_Gilroy is correct, bar hit switch is when the ball is on the metal plate and touches the metal of the bar door. Make sure the plate is firmly pressed level onto the playfield so the ball doesn’t hop.

#254 4 years ago

@aniraf, who sold you your playfield protector?

#264 4 years ago

We certainly want the default for this to remain as it is now, but sure, we can make this timer be adjustable in the next release.

#269 4 years ago

Do try the latest code update first to see if that resolves buzzing of the bar door.

1 week later
#292 4 years ago
Quoted from t500:

On the Tilt Warning screen is it normal to have a horizontal line across the top part of the monitor? This only shows up on the Tilt screen and is not any other time. Just want to make sure this isn't an early sign of a bad screen.

I believe that's a masking line that I meant to fix but obviously didn't. It's not a problem with your LCD.

Quoted from t500:

One more question, is there a shortcut to end a game? For example if a multiplayer game is accidentally started can you kill the game without turning off the power?

Yes, two solutions:

1) If it's ball 2 or later, you can press and hold the Start button for a few seconds until the game ends.
2) You can open the coin door and hit Enter, Exit to pop in and out of service mode, which ends the game.

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from raboulduke:

I have general illumination "anormally" blinking sometimes. Make that on yours?

Can you provide more details on what you're observing? Under what circumstances does it happen? There is at least one GI lighting effect that looks like blinking: any time playfield X is active (T-A-P lanes), all GI do an alternating pattern.

Quoted from raboulduke:

And last time, the scoop didn't want to eject my ball, I think that was during duck derby. I had to wait until the pinball start all coils, but when ball was ejected from the scoop, flippers didn't work and I lost my ball. I Checked the concerned switch (scoop) but it seems to work normally.

I have the same suspicion as @PokerJake, as that was indeed a bug in Duck Derby in previous releases. Make sure you're running the latest code (19.10.27)... if you're on an older version for some reason, you can avoid that bug simply by allowing the Duck Derby intro sequence to run normally, not double-flipping to cancel.

#298 4 years ago

We want to make sure our customers love their American Pinball games!

And although LTG doesn't work for us, he's freakin' awesome! (or should I say... Great!)

1 month later
#346 4 years ago

Ducks do indeed increase the scoring of tent modes. It's not a straight multiplier in the same way that the stein/tent pairings are... as a very rough rule of thumb, playing a tent with 20 ducks will score about double the points of playing that tent with 0 ducks, all else being equal (same steins and shots made).

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

That would explain why the points start piling up once you hit like 60 ducks and have 2 steins and start that mode. Big points!

Yep. Pretty much any tent mode can be worth mongo points with enough ducks. Also, remember that winning a tent mode gives ducks too -- 5 + 5 for each additional tent won on the same ball. So basically a feedback loop: doing well makes it easier to do even better.

Quoted from T3quila:

Do they affect the Multiball jackpots as well? I know there is a Stein for that!

Calories from the Food Stand serve the same purpose of boosting multiball (Corkscrew, Beer Barrel) scoring, that ducks do for tent modes. And yes, you've also got the steins for increasing scoring for those two multiballs.

Quoted from T3quila:

What's you favorite strategy?

Y'know, there are so many viable strategies on the game, that I change it up with some frequency. I'll often start with Frosty Ferret, because 1) hey, that's my stein and 2) it pairs with Duck Hunt, which gives additional ducks while you're playing it, and isn't too hard to win for the +5 duck bonus. So I hope to come out of Duck Hunt with a dozen or more ducks, which sets me up nicely for better scoring on future tents. It's tempting to also take Abby Nirmal Cider ("Easier to get ducks"), but that pairs with the Bumper Cars tent, and I usually try to defer that until I have a multiball ready, so I usually don't grab that stein until I've locked a ball or two. Engler Pale Ale (more tent time + Chugging) is often my next choice, although I also like Ish Pale Ale (easier to collect steins + Sky Slide). Sky Slide isn't too hard a tent to win... so now if I've got a couple tent wins on the same ball, I'm eyeing Reclab Redrum Stout (more bonus X + Stein Race) because the Tent Win Bonus is multipliable and can get very juicy. You'll note that I haven't really mentioned multiball to this point... I find that the PROST and OKTOBER FEST targets kinda take care of themselves from random bounces... when I'm getting close to having locks lit, I'll definitely do a couple spinner rips if needed to open the Food Stand and get a food feature running to get some calories. (And if you're doing that, might as well visit the Rockin' Express tent at the same time...) By design, the even numbered food features are the lucrative ones, so if you want nice multiball values, you sorta have to survive the first Food Stand to reach the second, or survive the third to reach the fourth. If I've gotten good calories and have locks lit or nearly so, for sure I'll take Freak Show Rooster and/or Frosty Ferret to amp the respective multiballs. Through all of this, one important thing to remember is that you can take multiples of the same stein... have you really crushed some tent modes and therefore have a serious Tent Win Bonus? By all means, take some extra Reclab steins to crank the bonus X even higher. Same idea with the Freak Show and Frosty Ferret steins if you have lots of calories.

But all that is my answer right now. Ask me again in a month and I'll probably say something different.

#352 4 years ago

I'm so happy that you love the game!

I rarely post pass on Oktoberfest, because the tent scoop serves that need for me... if I have the ball on the right flipper but I want it on the left, I shoot the scoop, and let it eject and dead-bounce to the left flipper. If I have the ball on the left flipper but want it on the right, I shoot the scoop and drop-catch the eject on the right flipper. This works great since the scoop spots T-E-N-T letters (unless you're already playing a tent mode) so these passes also give me progress towards the next tent mode start.

But certainly reaching Flipper Meister or Stein Slinging is not easy to do... which is why we have intermediate goals like Duck Derby.

#356 4 years ago

Every tent has slightly different behavior on how scoring increases with more ducks, because we had to balance the scoring of modes with lots of potential shots (e.g. Fud Frenzy, Bumper Cars) vs modes with few shots. And I just realized I misspoke in my previous comment: it's actually that WINNING a tent with 20 ducks scores ~2x WINNING that tent with 0 ducks, based on Medium difficulty, all else being equal.

But the scaling due to ducks is linear, not exponential.

In the end, don't overthink it too much: "More Ducks = More Points" is the key takeaway.

Quoted from T3quila:

One thing I noticed is, that if you hit the same duck multiple times in a row you don't get more awarded. Despite making the quack sound it is inactive until you hit a different duck.

Actually, in normal use, duck targets are inactive until you complete the set of duck targets. The "can't repeat the previous target" rule applies during Duck Hunt.

#363 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

When I get a set do I have to hit the question mark to light mystery or does it just light? Also, once I have all 4 do I need to "redeem" mystery or do become all 4 eligible targets again immediately?

As soon as you complete the four duck targets, they all unlight so you can immediately start collecting them again, and Mystery immediately lights on the scoop, and Bonus X is increased.

Quoted from T3quila:

When the strong man contest is not lit then I don't get mag nabs for completing it until I got the loop ramp right?

True... unless you hit the High Striker immediately after a left orbit shot. (i.e. Left Orbit -> High Striker combo) That always gives a MagNab even if not lit.

Quoted from T3quila:

And last but not least, when the game activates a mag by itself, does it use my mag nabs, or are they free?

pinballslave is correct.

Quoted from T3quila:

Sorry for bugging you with this, just curious.

No worries at all, I'm happy to talk about the game!

#365 4 years ago

The "?" is lit green to spot an OKTOBER FEST letter any time it's possible to collect OKTOBER FEST letters. It'll light yellow to collect a duck target when you only have one duck target left to complete the set.

#366 4 years ago

Oh, and my (legit) high score is around 45 million... a mere shadow of some of the boss scores I've seen. I believe Joshua Henderson posted a score approaching 700M!

#368 4 years ago

For mid-level scores (double-digit millions) either tents or multiballs can get you there.

For monster scores, I think absolutely the way to go is crushing tent modes. Tent Win Bonus can become very, very lucrative if you win several tents on the same ball. Never start a multiball without starting a tent first, and spend the first part of the multiball using your balls to win and then run up the score of the tent. The multiball jackpots will be waiting for you when the tent times out.

Also, here's a random tip for boosting multiball scores: start a Food Stand mode, then start Juggling. Pay no attention to the Juggling shots -- in fact, avoid them as much as possible -- and use the multiball to rack up calories. As I mentioned earlier, the even numbered Food Stand features are the juicy ones, so for example if you can start the second Food Stand feature and then stack Juggling, keep throwing the balls into the pops and try to rack up as many calories as you can. That'll position you well for big scoring in Corkscrew and Beer Barrel MBs.

But certainly there are lots of strategies for big scores in this game, and I'd love to hear any other approaches y'all discover!

#370 4 years ago

Hey, great score! You're not competing against the entire universe, you're just aiming for great scores on your machine. 4M points is definitely above average.

I hope that your wife giggling means that she was having a great time! Or maybe that she was having fun teasing you.

#372 4 years ago

That is not currently an option in the API system. Extra Balls get played right away, as has been done in pinball for decades.

#376 4 years ago

Yes, I think that’s the concept as JJP has implemented it. IMHO my concerns with it: everyone needs to pay very close attention to what’s going on. After 3 balls complete for everyone, suddenly perhaps it’s player 2’s turn after player 4 (because P2 earned an EB but P1 didn’t) which breaks the established pattern “it’s my turn after Bob”.

Also, if you plan to play more than one game with your group, it does not actually save other players from having to wait to play, it just moves around the wait time.

If we receive a lot of requests for this behavior, we certainly would consider making it an option, but to my memory this was the first such request.

#381 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

seems to me unpolite (doesnt know is this word exist, but you understand)

That English word is "impolite". "Unpolite" would seem to make sense but is not correct, because English is weird.

3 months later
#415 4 years ago
Quoted from Bencollins:

How many tents do you have to get to go to the big tent in the middle.

13 smaller tents have to be played (not necessarily won) to qualify the big tent wizard mode, Flipper Meister. (14 is a number you'll see throughout this game, representing the 14 primary tents at the Munich Oktoberfest.)

Quoted from Bencollins:

Does it have multiple wizard modes.

Yep, 4 of them.

Quoted from Bencollins:

Do you think they will do anymore major updates.

Don't expect "major" updates, but we do have an update in testing with some bug fixes and minor improvements.

Congrats and thanks for your purchase, I hope you'll love the game!

#421 4 years ago

Interesting comment, since all three of those are Joe Balcer designs.

3 months later
#468 3 years ago

Very happy to hear that you're loving your new game, JonCrox !

And you also, FtrMech !

#478 3 years ago

Doesn’t it kind of take away the “specialness” of huge multiballs if they’re easy to get?

#480 3 years ago

You can get to 5 ball play in Juggling by making enough shots.

Besides that, 5+ ball play is reserved for the advanced wizard modes like Stein Slinging and Flipper Meister.

#498 3 years ago

We put out a beta release a few months back, but we were all-hands-on-deck getting Hot Wheels ready and polished. Now that HW is out, doing great, and has had a couple post-launch updates, we have turned our sights back to the lingering beta updates... rosh on Houdini and me on Oktoberfest. Here's what's in store (a few additional things may join the list):

CHANGE LOG

20.08.13 (TEST BUILD)

NEW -- Settings > Oktoberfest > Lock Switch Compensation: if set to YES, the game will be more tolerant of erratic lock switches. Only enable if you know your lock switches are malfunctioning. ** NOTE ** changing this setting requires a game restart to take effect.
NEW -- Settings > Oktoberfest > Selection Timeout: now adjusts or disables the timer when selecting steins or tents.
NEW -- Settings > Pricing: added new pricing plans and support for Tokens.
NEW -- Settings > Replay: added Automatic Replay Percentaging.
NEW -- Attract: add score award (Replay, Extra Ball) info page to attract mode.

MODIFIED -- Beer Barrel Multiball: slightly increased scoring (again).
MODIFIED -- Boot: improved speed of powering up the game.
MODIFIED -- Calorie Coma: now shows total points earned when the mode concludes.
MODIFIED -- Coils: some defaults and ranges were adjusted; current settings will not be changed.
MODIFIED -- Coils: should be smarter about trying to free balls from devices when release doesn't immediately work; also don't retry forever so coils don't burn up.
MODIFIED -- Match: improved choreography.
MODIFIED -- Presets > Competition: now sets "Juggling Shots to Win" to 1, to discourage players from intentionally losing this tent. (Not that doing so was ever a good idea...)
MODIFIED -- Service Mode: minor improvements to UI.
MODIFIED -- Tap It: earning a replay or extra ball by score award during Tap It will skip the usual animation so the video mode isn't obscured.
MODIFIED -- Target Shooting: improved choreography.

FIXED -- Calorie Coma: scoring should now be working as intended.
FIXED -- Duck Derby: fixed a bug that could incorrectly award a player victory when their duck actually lost the race.
FIXED -- Duck Derby: losing the race should no longer cause loss of turn.
FIXED -- Duck Derby: don't allow the Derby to continue after a tilt.
FIXED -- Mystery: Points award now honors current Playfield X.
FIXED -- One Handed Play: no longer activates ball search if you hold balls on the left flipper for a long time.
FIXED -- Service Mode > Audits: now correctly tally Games Played - All Time.
FIXED -- Service Mode > Tests > Lamps: fixed a bug that could have broken normal game lighting after running Lamp Test.
FIXED -- Settings > Standard > Tilt Bob Settle Time / Tilt Warnings: now take effect immediately, instead of waiting for the next power cycle.
FIXED -- Stein and Tent Selection: cancel selection if the game is tilted while on the selection screen.

#499 3 years ago

Oh, BTW: the guy on the Rotor is joined by friends as you make more shots in the tent mode.

Also, the monkey tends to get sick on rides. You do NOT want to clean up after he rides the Rotor...

#505 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Same with the Green Tent arrows on Re-Entry.

What is the green tent arrow bug on Re-entry? Do the arrows all get stuck green or something? Don't think I've seen this one.

#508 3 years ago

Oooh, using the knocker to simulate the anti-rollback, that's a neat idea... I'll have to fiddle with that to see if I can make it sound right.

We already do fire some shaker as the coaster goes down the hill... not too much, it's a smooth metal coaster, not a woodie.

#525 3 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Installed new coil stop for the upper flipper. The ball now flys off the yellow ramp & gets stuck behind Otto. Exciting! But unwelcome.

Try reducing the power to the Upper Right flipper, via Settings > Coils. If it's going airborne, it's getting too much juice.

1 week later
#544 3 years ago

The targets over each outlane that can qualify ball savers... the first few (adjustable) outlane saves are “easy”, but then you have to earn the save via Last Call or Re-entry.

#546 3 years ago

Still looking at that lighting issue in Last Call... it's one of those weird/annoying ones that isn't readily reproducible, but I'll figure it out.

We're good with our beta pool right now, but I'll ping ya if we need additional testers... thanks for offering. Enjoy the game!

#555 3 years ago

I like to think that it’s because more people have gotten a chance to play the game, especially with later code revisions, and they’ve come to realize that it’s really a great game! So much to do, infinite strategy options, interesting playfield design. And of course, who doesn’t love festivals and beer?

#568 3 years ago

Not sure of your question, but there is an active beta test cycle right now for Oktoberfest code. It's currently in the hands of the beta testers, and will be released to the public before long, hopefully.

1 week later
#578 3 years ago

Jayzerblade ... hmmm. I thought this was fixed, but just in case: do you have Match turned off? If so, please try turning it on and see if that problem persists.

#580 3 years ago

Well, nuts. That was fixed and verified, but apparently did not get packaged into the build properly. Sigh. Sorry for the inconvenience, we’ll figure out what happened and get it fixed.

Meanwhile, if anyone else experiences a crash at end of game, please try turning Match back on in Settings > Standard.

Thanks.

#584 3 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Guess I will wait a bit...

No need to wait unless you're severely bothered by having Match enabled.

#589 3 years ago

And y'know... hopefully things like a significant code update 1.5 years after the game is released, the tweaked coil stop, etc give you a good feeling about how American Pinball supports our games.

#610 3 years ago

Oktoberfest does use its 4 magnets a lot, so balls -- especially "shiny" ones -- are prone to becoming magnetized and doing weird things in the trough. Certainly checking for magnetized balls should be one of the first things to try if you encounter any weird trough feeds or lock behaviors.

1 week later
#627 3 years ago

Hmmm. I played several games a couple days ago and did not notice anything unusual with the magnets. Of course an occasional fling can happen, as well as bad timing for manual MagNabs (since it IS a skill feature) but the auto should be successful easily 90+% of the time... is this not your experience?

#632 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Not anymore. It used to be super strong and grab and hold tight. Now it seems weak and seems to grab and release.

And you believe this coincides with installing the latest game software? There were no changes to how we pulse the magnets in the recent code release, so that would be quite unexpected... but stranger things have happened...

#634 3 years ago

Hop-Pac ... are you seeing this on both player-controllable magnets, or just one of them?

#639 3 years ago

OK, please let us know. It could theoretically be something as simple as the connector for that magnet being a little wiggly and needing to be reseated. If you're bored, you could potentially try downgrading to the previous software release and see if things improve, then reinstall the latest and see if it gets worse again. I really have no idea why that would be, since as I mentioned, our belief is that we didn't change anything about how the magnets are driven... but more data about a problem is always interesting.

#652 3 years ago

I don’t believe any audio volume mixing happened in the last code update.

Unfortunately, we don’t currently offer the ability to change the volume of speech vs music separately.

1 week later
#665 3 years ago

Hey, thanks for making Oktoberfest your first pin, NIB or otherwise, Filimurz ! You can only ever have one "first pin" and we're honored that you chose Oktoberfest, and very happy that you're enjoying the game. Prost!

#675 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Can anyone explain to me when the beer barrel magnet will grab the ball without pressing the mag nab button?

The most common times for this are either an inlane -> orbit combo (which might auto-grab at either the upper flipper magnet or the TAP lane magnet, depending on what is lit on the game), or if you hit X number of pop bumpers and then have the ball exit the pops toward the upper flipper... this is the case where Inga will call out "Eins... zwei... drei... strike!". Hits on the High Striker (captive ball) are worth extra at this time, but of course you can also shoot the bar, the beer barrel ramp, or even the tent.

Quoted from manadams:

Also is there anyway to code the TAP lane lights to not flash blue when you make a shot, makes it hard to know which lane is not lit when trying to increase your playfield X.

I'll take a peek at this for our next code release.

#685 3 years ago
Quoted from PeteUK:

Is fitting the shaker motor easily done
Like plug and play easy

It's very easy. Here are the instructions:

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2019-9/Oktoberfest-Shaker-Installation.pdf

#700 3 years ago

If you have the latest code, try turning on Settings > Oktoberfest > Lock Switch Compensation. Exit the service menu, THEN POWER CYCLE THE GAME.

Let us know if this helps.

#707 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Another suggestion for future code, the extra ball lit screen comes up when your in video mode in "tap it" and blinds you momentarily.

Gah, I fixed it so that Extra Ball (or Replay) AWARDED displays would be suppressed during Tap It, didn't think about Extra Ball LIT... I guess that is from winning the tent and earning enough ducks to light EB? Thanks for the report, added to to-do list.

1 week later
#719 3 years ago

An occasional fling by the magnets is not unexpected. We don't have specific stats, but it'll happen. Just shouldn't be "frequent".

2 weeks later
#728 3 years ago

Huh. Not sure what to tell you about that. Can't even ask you for the logs, wouldn't really tell me anything about the magnet's effect on the ball. Are you seeing that on both the TAP lane magnet and the upper flipper magnet?

Oh, for the ball save thing: make sure your trough switches are all working properly, and that the balls aren't magnetized. A high percentage of problems with unexpected ball launches wind up being caused by magnetized balls.

#733 3 years ago

Yeah, the food plate during Füd Frenzy once you've made a few shots looks spot on for Thanksgiving.

1 week later
#743 3 years ago

Hmmm. Mac or Windows or other? Make sure your USB thumb drive is formatted as FAT32. There should be nothing magical about the update file, it has no weird metadata or forks or anything, it's just a typical compressed/encrypted archive.

1 week later
#752 3 years ago

The on-screen visuals, callouts, and music of the game are vastly different from when it was first revealed. I think most people find them much better now.

1 month later
#779 3 years ago

Hi chatplume51 ... congrats on your new game, but sorry you're having problems.

A couple things to try:

- Remove the balls, make sure they're not magnetized. (Touch a metal paper clip to each ball and see if it "sticks".) Magnetized balls can get gummed up in the trough and confuse the system, sometimes leading to extra balls getting served. Also make sure 6 balls are installed.

- Using the Switch Test, make sure that each trough switch lights up correctly when you drop the balls back into the trough... when all the balls are back, 6 trough switches should be lit up, no more, no less.

Odds are that it's something simple, like magnetized balls, or a wiggly connector somewhere since you just moved the game... we'll getcha sorted out so you can get back to playing.

Also don't hesitate to submit a service ticket requesting help... <https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/>

Thanks!

#782 3 years ago
Quoted from chatplume51:

i changed balls in doubt
Game was normal at first,then with juggling tent i had one ball instead of two and when l lost it,game didn't recognize it and didn't give me another.

So just to clarify... you changed balls and your problem went away for awhile, and then returned with a different symptom? So now instead of spitting out too many balls, it's spitting out too few?

Quoted from chatplume51:

With another game flipper meister insert stay lit with no particular reason

I can't quite tell the colors (yellow vs amber is kinda subtle) but could this be from you selecting the Pin Wiz Pale Ale stein? When you choose a stein, it lights up the corresponding tent insert in an amber color (it's supposed to look like beer ) until you play the tent... which of course could be awhile for Flipper Meister.

#784 3 years ago

Did you have a chance to try the test I mentioned above: ejecting all the balls, then going into Switch Test and dropping the balls back in one by one, monitoring the trough switch status as you do so? I'm curious if any of the trough switches are acting up.

Merci!

#786 3 years ago

That's Settings > Oktoberfest > Lock Switch Compensation. Worth a shot. Note that if you change that setting, you need to exit out of service mode and then power-cycle the machine for it to take effect.

2 weeks later
#812 3 years ago

Try visiting Service > Tests > Switches and see if any of the lock switches are firing unexpectedly, including if you jostle the playfield (e.g. try thumping the playfield lightly with your hand) ... both with and without ball(s) in the lock.

2 weeks later
#843 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I have been trying to get to Flipper Meister for a few weeks, just focusing on completing the modes and timing them out after they turn green.

FWIW, you don't have to "beat" tents (turn them green / get the confetti celebration) to qualify Flipper Meister... though certainly Meister scoring (and end of ball bonus) is much more valuable if you do.

Sorry for the tough drain, though. Done that more times than I care to mention...

2 weeks later
#854 3 years ago

There are a few “spicier” callouts if you disable Family Mode. But in general we had family friendliness in mind. @cheeks’ description is probably spot on.

1 month later
#887 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

My wife has even adopted a few of them.

Do tell.

Thanks for the kind words, folks... so glad that you're loving the game!

#893 3 years ago

Lock Switch Compensation makes the game software a bit more tolerant of errant switches in the Beer Barrel and Corkscrew locks. Since these membrane switches aren’t really adjustable, and many folks may not have spares in their parts box, enabling this setting can help keep a game with a glitchy lock switch running until you can get a replacement switch installed.

#896 3 years ago

Suuuuper highly guarded secret, LOL. The details are somewhat gnarly without having some background in the logic that supports lock device management... the Q&D summary is that setting changes around some timing and debounce parameters, and also adds some compensatory logic if the switches report any "unexpected" states. Most pinball code generally tends to trust whatever the switches say, but that setting tweaks the code to be a bit less trusting of the switches if they report anything weird.

Re: ball ending unexpectedly if the trough fails to eject... if you encounter this again, please capture the logs if possible and send them to myself and/or @rosh, we'll be happy to take a look at what's going on. I can't say that you're the first person to report that, but as I recall, in most cases the culprit turns out to be (wait for it) magnetized balls.

Thank you for your feedback about the game! Happy to hear it's a keeper for you.

#898 3 years ago

You're correct, @pinstyle, except there's not even a menu option involved... the system will copy off the logs when you insert a formatted USB stick. I'm sorry to hear that you had a lockup.... if you can send us info on what you were doing at the time, we'll try to figure it out. If it was just tonight, you should still be able to capture the logs -- we retain logs for the last 10 power-ups of the machine. Thanks!

1 week later
#913 2 years ago

Hi @pinstyle, I'm very sorry that you've been having problems. Certainly what you describe are not normal behaviors, so we need to figure out what's going on with your machine and help you get it fixed. Please submit a support ticket at <https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/> and our team will work with you to get things sorted out. Thanks for your patience, and looking forward to you being able to enjoy your Oktoberfest smooth and problem-free.

#916 2 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Mr. Ferret, can you explain the beer barrel lock? I noticed if I am one letter away from completing Prost when shooting the beer barrel, it will complete that last letter and lock the ball. Today I noticed I was two letters away from Prost and it completed the two letters and locked the ball. Is this normal and do I just have some incredibly easy setting? Lighting one letter per barrel shot seems reasonable, but two is a little nuts. Sorry if this has been covered before but I do not recall seeing it.

Shooting the Beer Barrel ramp always spots a letter in PROST if possible. It does this before deciding whether lock is lit, so the dirty little secret is that you can just light 4 letters of PROST and then shoot the ramp, and you'll get your lock.

If you shoot the left orbit and combo that directly into the Beer Barrel ramp, you'll get 2 PROST letters spotted instead of just one.

(There's a similar perk if you combo left orbit -> captive ball: this awards you +1 MagNab, even if that shot isn't currently lit for MagNab.)

Quoted from pinstyle:

I also had something weird happen that I never heard before. The beer barrel shot grab magnet actually did a double countdown, one audio being about a second behind the other. It was weird..

I have heard this a couple times... it seems to be very infrequent and doesn't seem to hurt anything, so identifying and fixing it hasn't been a priority. Maybe the player is just drunk and hearing double.

#918 2 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Oh I see, thats a nice perk with the barrel lock. I never noticed about the mag nabs but I haven’t been paying that close attention other than whether or not I have one to use. Have you considered the Prost targets returning to their unlit state after collecting that last letter on a lock? I notice all Prost targets will be lit after that, it seems almost too easy to just freely be able to lock another ball. Or maybe even a difficulty setting?

Settings > Oktoberfest > Beer Barrel Lock Difficulty.

However, the Beer Barrel has a feature where locks can be "stolen" across players and even across games (unless you turn on Settings > Oktoberfest > Release Beer Barrel Locks at Game End, which disables the "across games" feature). What this means is that if you have a ball or two in there and you lock another ball, you qualify locks for whatever is in the barrel, so you may not need to qualify those locks again. PROST stays solidly lit if you don't need to qualify any more locks.

#923 2 years ago

Can you provide some more context to your inquiry? I tried enabling and disabling Otto (Settings > Oktoberfest > Otto), and when enabled, he spun around, generally following the ball during game play... when disabled, he remained still. I had no reboots. This was on the latest code (20.09.23). Can you give specific repro steps for the reboot that you describe? Thanks.

#926 2 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

If I select "bartenderEnable(C15) the game reboots.

Ewww, yuck. Confirmed and fixed. Thanks for the report!

That item, and several of the others that you remark don't seem to do anything, were actually supposed to be hidden on that list, but the hide flag was not set correctly... that will also be corrected in the next code release.

#929 2 years ago

American Pinball has a strong history of supporting our games. We've had code updates for all of our games within the past few months ... even our oldest game, Houdini, got a huge update earlier this year. Of course, eventually there comes a time for every product where you've just gotta say, OK, this is it... but we try our best to give our customers a great experience and great value from their purchases.

Thanks for supporting American Pinball!

3 weeks later
#966 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Thanks for the head up on the beer barrel multiball. I will see what it does next time. So the normal behavior would be to drop all 3 balls and begin multiball, correct?

Yes. If you're seeing other behavior, use Switch Test to verify the behavior of the beer barrel lock switches with various numbers of balls installed.

BTW, to your other question: a lot of conversation about Oktoberfest also happens on the "Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin." thread.

#970 2 years ago

Yes. Winning several modes in the same ball can be insane points... it's all about Tent Win Bonus. And then you start thinking about some Reclab Red Rum Stout.

#976 2 years ago

Yep. That's why I'm wondering which secret you're talking about.

1 month later
#996 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Mine must be turned off. Is each an individual setting or a single for all modes?

There are a couple of them. Settings > Oktoberfest > ...
Mechanical Knocker on Shooting Modes
Mechanical Knocker on Bumper Cars

Quoted from SLicK350:

I've noticed that on the LCD display there's a floating balloon that indicates the current ball in play. Once the score is over a million though this balloon covers up the last digit of the score, and if match is turned on one can barely make out what the last digit is depending on the animation. Perhaps this balloon animation can be moved to the right a bit in the next code release.

Ah, good catch, the balloons are supposed to go away during the Match sequence... adding that to the list. Thanks for the report.

#1007 2 years ago

6 degrees pitch is what’s recommended by the designer, yes.

1 week later
#1025 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Also, what gives extra balls? I earned two last game but not sure how.

X number of ducks collected, X number of steins collected, X number of tents played... these are all adjustable via Settings > Oktoberfest.

EB lit is also available as a Mystery award.

#1028 2 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Otherwise the only way to shoot the bar is off the pop bumper or from a plunge.

Random tidbit: my favorite way to shoot the bar is actually a ricochet off the PROST targets (typically from a left flipper shot).

#1032 2 years ago

Yeah, once you find the proper angle on your machine, it’s surprisingly easy to hit the bar that way. I rarely shoot the bar with the upper flipper — save that for the ramp or striker shot.

#1039 2 years ago

Very glad that you're loving Oktoberfest!

There are SO many strategic options, but the single monster strategy is probably: WIN several tents on the same ball. Tent Win Bonus can become incredibly valuable.

Obviously, easier said than done.

#1041 2 years ago

Sorry! Didn't mean to kill your competitive edge.

We got a Hot Wheels at our league location... I've been sharing every detail I can think of with everyone who asks. So far I've had the edge just from sheer knowledge of rules... but I know that won't last long, as players with superior flipper skills get the hang of it and take over. I'm OK with that...

#1046 2 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

So steins, calories, and # of ducks all add to point values in tents?

Ducks increase the base scoring levels of all tent modes. (The exact details vary for each tent mode.)

Each stein acts as a scoring multiplier for the one specific tent mode that it's paired with. These accumulate linearly, so for example, if you have 1 Frosty Ferret, Duck Hunt scores at 2X; if you have 2 Frosty Ferrets, Duck Hunt scores at 3X; etc.

Calories increase the base scoring levels of Corkscrew and Beer Barrel Multiball jackpots. No effect on tents.

Quoted from Hop-Pac:

And, besides the Reclab Redrum stein, how do I increase the bonus multiplier?

Bonus X is increased by hitting each of the 4 unique duck targets. (This also lights Mystery.) When you do this, Bonus X increases by 1 + the number of Reclab Redrum steins that you have. Just having a Reclab Redrum stein doesn't automatically increase Bonus X, you still gotta shoot the duck targets.

1 week later
#1051 2 years ago

If you can send us the logs, that would be great to see if they shed some light on what went funky there. Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

2 weeks later
#1069 2 years ago

That’s the clever part of the Oktoberfest business plan… we get the entire world to advertise for us (for free!) every year.

1 week later
#1092 2 years ago

Check your Left Orbit switch. It looks like it's activated, and the ramp won't go down if it thinks that switch is closed (so it doesn't trap a ball behind the ramp flap). Of course, it would affect the game's ability to award left orbit shots if that switch is malfunctioning.

The Coaster Lock switches are probably red because balls haven't been able to reach the upper lock if the ramp flap isn't dropping.

Hope this helps!

#1094 2 years ago

Sorry, I do not know the answer to that, beyond the obvious things I suspect you've already checked like "make sure all the connectors are seated firmly".

But @brenna98's API Support probably knows.

You can file a service ticket here:
https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

#1096 2 years ago

Sounds good. I'm very sorry to hear that you've had a lot of trouble with this, but hopefully you're able to get a solution that fixes it once and for all.

#1102 2 years ago

Actually, both Stern Star Wars and American Pinball Houdini had video modes a year or so before Oktoberfest debuted.

#1104 2 years ago

So happy that you love Oktoberfest!

Latest Houdini code lets you avoid the giggling if you don't like that. Bring it back into the fold!

Hot Wheels is pretty dang fun too!

#1112 2 years ago

There is indeed a bug that can cause a crash if you have replay levels = 4. It’s fixed for the next code update… meanwhile, try going down to just 3 replay levels and see if that resolves the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

#1114 2 years ago

Please don't hesitate to capture logs and send them in to us for analysis if you encounter any game bugs or crashes. We can only fix the problems that we know about. Thanks!

3 weeks later
#1139 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Ferret are the logs encrypted? I just pulled them and they look encrypted. Is there a way for me to read these and figure out why it auto saves when it switches players occasionally?

They are obfuscated, yes. Seriously, you wouldn't really want to look at 'em anyway, they're quite a PITA to slog through.

Feel free to send us the logs along with the time stamp of when you observed the error, we're happy to help.

3 weeks later
#1145 2 years ago

Yes, Juggling can get to 6 balls. I believe both Stein Slinging and Flipper Meister can, also.

1 month later
#1161 2 years ago

Yep, already fixed in the upcoming code release. Thanks for the report!

1 month later
#1167 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I somehow achieved an extra ball while the mode was playing, obscuring the mode and causing me to mess up and end the mode. It would be nice to be able to finish the mode and then be awarded an extra ball.

Probably a score replay. I believe this is fixed in the upcoming beta. I think the variant that RipleYYY mentions was the slightly different version if you LIT EB during Tap It, which was fixed in a previous release.

#1177 2 years ago

No, that level of game logic misbehavior would not be expected even if the lock switches were acting up.

If you'd like, feel free to capture your logs and send them to me at ferret <at> americanpinball.com, and I'll be happy to take a look and see if I can identify what happened there.

3 months later
#1210 1 year ago

Same startup time as before. The super fast boot for Hot Wheels is due to a new software architecture, and it would be a prohibitive amount of effort to migrate Oktoberfest to that system.

Pro tip: while it’s booting, fill up your own stein with something good!

1 week later
#1216 1 year ago

Actually, I'm not aware of any ball tracking bugs per se. Most of the time when people have ball tracking issues, it signifies an issue with the membrane switches in the Beer Barrel and/or Corkscrew locks. You can see if this is the case by going into Switch Test and see if the lock switches are "flickering"... also test with 0, 1, 2, and 3 balls in the lock, since sometimes failure cases depend on what's in the lock. Also thump the playfield lightly to see if that triggers any weirdness.

If you do observe this, one potential Band-Aid if you haven't already done it is turning on Settings > Oktoberfest > Lock Switch Compensation. (If you change this setting, you need to exit service mode and power-cycle the machine for this change to take effect.) This compensation isn't perfect, but can be useful.

Hope this helps!

2 weeks later
#1239 1 year ago

Hey folks... I'm still here, haven't gone anywhere.

The delays in the next Oktoberfest code update are squarely on the shoulders of me, myself, and I. I'm sorry.

Tell y'all what... since (at least in my brain) it is more likely to get tasks on the front-burner when they have a specific date, instead of "coming soon", I'll make the commitment here and now to have the next Oktoberfest beta available within 30 days. You have permission to come after me with the torches and pitchforks if I haven't followed through by July 17.

One thing I'll note is that there are NOT general ball tracking fixes on the roster, because I'm not aware of any. The headline feature of the update is Team Play, and there are some minor feature enhancements and some other bug fixes. If your game has ball tracking issues, the likely culprit is one or the other of the membrane switches in the locks. When they decide to get flaky, the game can get confused -- much like trough or lock issues on almost any game; the difference here is simply that many people don't have a spare membrane switch sitting in their parts box. If you're having recurring ball tracking issues, feel free to DM me to discuss, I'm happy to try to help -- and if we do find a code bug, I'm VERY happy to fix it! -- but the underlying issue is probably the membranes.

Hope this helps. Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

#1242 1 year ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

I've had my Oktoberfest for 3 years now, and the one thing I would love to see added to it, is a selectable feature that allows you to let the game randomly choose the mode for you. I know this almost defeats the point of the steins, as the game may not select the mode that you have already chosen steins for.

It's not exactly what you're asking for, but close: which stein is initially selected when you enter the bar is random(ish). So if you want that sort of experience: just double-flip when you enter the bar, don't select your own stein. And same thing when you enter a tent, just double-flip on whatever the initial selection is (which is generally related to what steins you have). You should wind up with lots of different game play experiences.

Quoted from tectonyc:

Any chance for 1) swap the one handed mode buttons and 2) one handed mode high score board?

There's always a chance.

Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

How can i get some spare membrane switches to have on hand?

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/membrane-switch

And I still have an issue where 1 tent lights a different color than the rest during Attract mode. Any ideas on that?

Only during attract mode? If you go into Tests > Lamps, does it cycle red/green/blue/white/black along with all the rest?

#1249 1 year ago

Yes, I think we de-conflicted all the EB lit / EB awarded / Replay awarded displays so they don’t stomp on Tap It.

#1256 1 year ago

Yes, only one custom image. If this machine has more than one custom attract image, not sure how they're doing that, unless they've fiddled with the hard drive directly.

#1258 1 year ago

That actually varies a bit depending on whether you’re on Windows or Mac, and if you have Finder or Explorer configured to show or hide file extensions. Can get a bit confusing. But ultimately the file that goes on the USB stick must be named custom_message.png — not custom_message, not custom_message.png.png.

1 week later
#1266 1 year ago
Quoted from chewiec:

Ferret. Do you know if the next run will be the last of the classic (deluxe) design or will it be switched to the new design? Thanks!

I'm afraid I know nothing about that, sorry.

Hey Ferrett, 11 days until pitchforks and torches. Wink wink, nudge nudge

I haven't forgotten! I should be sending a package for alpha (inside the company) testing next week to hopefully guard against any complete idiocy on my part, before sending the beta the following week.

#1282 1 year ago

Ferret is minus five days late! String him up!

#1287 1 year ago

::nervously eyeing the lederhosen-clad approaching villagers::

Hey, folks! Set aside the torches and pitchforks, and pick up your steins! The next Oktoberfest beta test is just about here.

If you'd like to participate in the beta, please send your email address to ferret <at> americanpinball.com. If you join the beta, we would appreciate it if you would send detailed reports of any problems you encounter.

I would also strongly suggest that you NOT participate in the beta test if your machine is on location earning money, or if there is any other reason you want to ensure that your game remains working properly (hosting that big tournament next weekend?). Like all beta tests, things may break -- that's why we're testing! -- and I'd hate for any issues to be hugely problematic for you and/or your customers.

Thanks!

#1301 1 year ago
Quoted from Big_Whoopin:

Ferret, any chance the version display can support more than just YY.MM.DD? Would be nice if when you are sending out beta code that it could be suffixed with "BETA" or even just "b".

Yes, that crossed my mind when I was sending out the package, but I didn't want to rebuild/reverify it. Next time....

Quoted from Ballderdash:

I believe they already said no, that it’s a code and not hardware thing per se. That the code was re-written to speed things up on HW etc. and that wont be done for Oktoberfest.

Correct... Hot Wheels is the first game to use our completely rewritten A/V architecture. Unfortunately, it's not just a swap-in replacement for the old A/V system. Trust me, when I'm working on code changes on Oktoberfest, I might be restarting the game 30 times a day, so if there would be any reasonable way to put the new A/V system on Oktoberfest, I would've done so already.

#1305 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Should I buy a used Oktoberfest for $7,200 or wait for the new title from AP? I own a HW and have a Cactus Canyon on order.

Of course, you should buy every American Pinball game.

Seriously, though -- we try to produce a variety of games that we hope everyone loves. If you love Oktoberfest and can get one today, buy it! At the very least, you'll get lots of enjoyment out of it while we're finishing up our next game. If you love our next game even more... well, preferably add it to your growing collection! Or if you need the cash or space, sell one of your machines and buy the next American game at that time.

Thanks for your support!

#1307 1 year ago

Sorry, I have no idea about that. Contact your favorite distributor(s) to ask what they have available.

#1311 1 year ago

So glad you love our games, thank you! Unfortunately, gotta keep the next one under wraps until it's ready for the world.

#1330 1 year ago

That's correct... team play isn't really comparable to individual play, so it feels unfair to commingle high scores for individual play and team play.

Glad you're enjoying it!

#1337 1 year ago

Yes. From the release notes:

NEW -- Team Play support! Turn on Settings > Standard > Team Play Allowed, then hold the right flipper button while starting a game. Each player can choose their team (Team Inga or Team Otto) separately. Scores and all game features are shared between players on a team.

1 week later
#1353 1 year ago
Quoted from Scoot:

If you are about to time out on the mode, hitting the 180 will add more time when you need it.

This is kinda already in the game. For those who weren't aware, while a tent mode is running, collecting T-E-N-T letters on the inlanes/outlanes adds some time to the mode... and of course, shooting the right ramp is a great way to feed an inlane. Pro tip #1: the amount of time added by a T-E-N-T lane is inversely related to the amount of time left on the clock... so pounding out 4 quick right ramps at the start of a tent mode only adds a modest amount of time, but if you wait until time is running low, each T-E-N-T lane adds considerably more time. Pro tip #2: T-E-N-T letters you collect during a tent mode stay lit when the tent mode ends, putting you on the fast track for your next tent mode.

Quoted from SLicK350:

So the beta is out... how long before an official version release?

We'll have a second beta release in the next few days, with a goal for general release mid-August.

#1359 1 year ago

Another combo of sorts is PROST targets -> bar ... this immediately opens the bar.

#1368 1 year ago

That Beer Barrel ramp reminds me a lot of Whirlwind’s Millions Plus ramp. Not easy, but feels good when you make it.

I was just play testing last night for the beta refresh and got a couple Beer Barrel MBs over a few games. It’s really not bad at all on my particular machine, but YMMV.

#1370 1 year ago

Definitely logs, please. Can’t imagine what that might possibly be (especially surviving across a reboot!) but that’s what testing is for.

#1373 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

When power cycling always wait a few seconds before turning on.

Good advice for any electronic / electrical device.

2 weeks later
#1397 1 year ago
Quoted from Filimurz:

Any changes to the July Beta release?

There are a few bug fixes and bits of polish in the official release as compared to the original July beta. I didn’t comment on them separately since only a few people had the July beta.

Hope everyone enjoys the new code!

#1401 1 year ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

First game on the new code; I locked the third ball on the Looper and another ball kick out of the trough. It stayed confused the rest of the game. I had an extra ball, which was awarded while the 3rd of my 4 ball mb drained. So I still had two balls in play. When one of those drained, it crashed and reset.

Ack! Yes, logs would be good, please… ferret at americanpinball.com. Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience.

1 month later
#1441 1 year ago

splitcms chewiec Make sure you have the VERY newest code release -- Oktoberfest 22.09.19. Newer builds may have weaker scoop coils installed that need stronger coil power than the before. The 22.09.19 release allows cranking the Scoop eject power higher than previous versions.

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/updates/

Hope this helps!

#1444 1 year ago

Hmmm, @chewiec, that's weird if it's inconsistent. If you haven't already, I'd check the assemblies underneath to ensure that everything is nice and secure, no loose screws or anything like that. And it sounds like you have already adjusted the coil strength, but you can try adjusting it down as well as up ... counterintuitively, sometimes the ball can have a hard time getting out if the kicker is a bit out of alignment and a strong kick scrapes into something that it shouldn't.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Glad to hear you're loving the game, though!

1 week later
#1450 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Is there a polished adult mode option or has it been watered-down by the sensative people?

The game does have an adult mode with some pretty funny double entendres.

Quoted from splitcms:

Updates to latest code and the scoop eject is still horrible. Low dribble out. Should I submit a ticket for a new coil?

Just to be clear, after installing the latest code, did you crank up the strength of the Scoop coil?

#1457 1 year ago

splitcms chewiec - if you continue to have weak sickouts from the scoop, please do file a ticket with the Service department so Dave's team can help you out.

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

Sorry for the inconvenience!

#1473 1 year ago

We may add separate Team high score lists in the future, but unless/until that happens, it seemed unfair to allow teams of up to 4 players to be compared to solo efforts on the leaderboard.

1 week later
#1484 1 year ago

kevindrives - please do send those logs to me at ferret <at> americanpinball.com. If you know the approximate date/time of the issue -- and if your machine's clock is set correctly -- providing that info when you send the logs would be extremely helpful... otherwise it's quite a needle-in-a-haystack search: the logs can be huge.

Thanks!

#1488 1 year ago

Thanks for the info… please do update to the latest version. And certainly let me/us know if you have continued problems. Thanks!

1 week later
#1502 1 year ago

That bug was recently reported and will be fixed in an upcoming update.

2 weeks later
#1518 1 year ago

Was it a multi player game? If so, this is a known issue in the latest code, we’ll have a fix posted soon.

4 weeks later
#1584 1 year ago

Sometimes the membrane switches used in the Beer Barrel and Corkscrew locks can get flaky, resulting in problems such as the game thinking you’ve locked a ball when you haven’t. The proper long term fix is to replace the faulty switches … unfortunately, this is not a part that many people have just sitting in their parts box. Turning on Lock Switch Compensation makes the software more tolerant of these switches glitching … at the cost of slower recognition of balls entering and exiting, and potentially getting confused if weird events happen, such as two balls sneaking out of the lock when only one was meant to be released.

So in summary: if you have flaky lock switches, turning on Lock Switch Compensation may help your game remain playable until you can replace the switches. If your switches are working properly, it’s better to leave this setting off.

#1586 1 year ago

It is not dangerous to leave that option turned on all the time. But if you have to turn on that option, consider ordering a spare membrane switch or two for your parts box, because probably at some point, the membrane will get bad enough that the software can no longer compensate.

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/membrane-switch
Although apparently out of stock at the moment

We basically considered Flipper Meister (the tent wizard mode) as "the" wizard mode, which is why it has that huge insert -- which I guess makes the wizard modes for steins, ducks, and food stand "mini" wizard modes, if you want to think of it that way.

#1589 1 year ago

Hmmm, no, I believe the bar door should always be open when Collect Stein is flashing. Does the door move smoothly and consistently in Tests > Bar Door?

#1591 1 year ago

OK, that's good.

From your original question, it sounds like the bar door does sometimes open when Collect Stein is lit, but other times not? Have you been able to discern any pattern around this?

#1593 1 year ago

The only recurring glitch that I'm aware of with Oktoberfest is that the membrane switches used in the two ball locks (Beer Barrel and Corkscrew) can get sketchy. Normally, "switch is sketchy" isn't a big deal -- pretty much every pinball owner deals with adjusting or replacing switches from time to time -- but the membrane switches aren't really adjustable, and few people have spares of this uncommon part. And since these are lock switches that are supposed to indicate long-term position of balls, when they get sketchy, it can definitely confuse the code and impact gameplay -- just like a trough switch problem on any game. On the other hand, many machines have no problem with these switches (the ones on my Okto have been totally fine, with thousands of plays).

So generally I'd just suggest Oktoberfest owners order a couple of these for the parts box... but they're out of stock at the moment at the American Pinball store.

#1596 1 year ago

Frohes neues Jahr to you and everyone!

#1605 1 year ago

I don't remember. Note that document is labeled 2019.

#1608 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

For instance, try starting a game with the coin door open and see what happens.

Oh, neato. I'm pretty sure I know what causes this -- added to the queue to get fixed in a future release.

Quoted from pinstyle:

Some settings when adjusted introduced game lock-ups so while this was never a game killer for me it was an issue.

If you happen to recall what those setting changes were, I would welcome information, either here or via DM.

American Pinball wants to produce quality games. All of our owners and players are invited to let us know about issues, large or small, with any of our games. The best way is to file tickets at <https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/> so your issue gets formally tracked, but feel free to post here or contact me directly. I can't promise that every single bug will get fixed, but we do our best.

#1609 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

I’m wondering if anyone knows about the knocker. Is it included on all models? Also, is the shaker a necessary accessory? Thanks.

I do not believe that the knocker is included with all trims of Oktoberfest.

Both the knocker and the shaker are optional accessories, of course. They augment the experience. We try to use both of those devices in fun ways... the knocker is not just for replays, but is used in several modes where it makes sense. The shaker is used all over the place, from a low-level rumble in the pop bumpers, to more intense action in other features of the game. You can have a great time playing Oktoberfest without either of these devices, but it'll just be more fun if you have both of them.

#1611 1 year ago

Thanks for the kind words about the game.

As I mentioned above, I’m happy to accept bug reports for any of our games, and try to fix any such bugs. I just need to know what those bugs are. I play my Okto from time to time and haven’t seen any notable bugs except for one outstanding from the last release (and now the one you pointed out last night). We also have an Okto on location locally that is used for leagues and tournaments, and again, no issues have been reported to me. Send me details of bugs, and I’ll try to get them fixed.

Thanks.

#1613 1 year ago

It's normal for balls to eject from the Beer Barrel and Corkscrew locks when restarting the game -- we try to get all balls into the main trough as part of power-up initialization. This is no cause for concern.

I don't actually know if leaving balls in the locks for a long time increases wear on the membrane switches. I've heard some people say that, but I can't confirm from personal experience. My own game is set to the default of leaving Beer Barrel locks in the barrel (it is intended to be a carry-over feature), and I've had no problems in several years and countless games. I can't say for sure, but I suspect most customers don't have any problems with these switches... it's just that when there is a fault, the effect is potent.

There are already adjustments for "Release Beer Barrel Locks at Game End" and "Release Roller Coaster Locks at Game End" -- feel free to set both to "Yes" if you want to ensure that balls are ejected from the locks when games end. But again, the Beer Barrel is intended to be a carry-over / lock stealing feature, so that one should be set to "No" if you want to play the game as designed.

1 week later
#1625 1 year ago

The production line at the factory is aware of this, and machines on the line are being rechecked to verify that proper fuses are being installed.

#1629 1 year ago

Thanks for the reports, folks. I'll check it out.

1 week later
#1641 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

The single most annoying thing on my game, in fact the only annoying thing, is that when the ball is being held by the right magnet and is counting down to release the ball to the right flipper, the magnet will pulse off and on sometimes, seemingly randomly, throwing the ball either rapidly towards the flippers or upwards to the upper rollovers... all this before the count reaches zero, so before zero is reached the ball has shot of at high speed... I was hoping the latest code update might fix this... anyone also have this issue?

Although catching a moving ball can occasionally cause the effect you describe, in my experience, once the magnet catches the ball, it holds it OK. You might check the connector and wiring on the magnet to ensure that everything is nice and secure, so the magnet is getting a clean power feed.

Quoted from pinballslave:

One more niggle just came to mind, I started beer-barrel multihull and while the game was holding the balls on the magnet it went into ball search because a switch hadn't been hit for a while... I suppose I could hold a flipper up so the game thinks I'm cradling a ball next time! Can.the time to initiate ball search be changed in settings?

Wow... no, it can't be changed, though the ball search timeout should be way longer than the length of the Beer Barrel start sequence. That's pretty wacky... has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks. Enjoy your new game!

2 weeks later
#1652 1 year ago

Boooo! That was a good score you had working on ball 1 -- what a shame that it went splat.

Thanks for sending in the logs -- we'll get 'er fixed.

1 week later
#1683 1 year ago

As rosh noted, the bar door sensor works by having the metal pinball complete the circuit between the metal strip on the playfield and the metal strip on the closed bar door. To maximize sensitivity, make sure that the ball, the strip on the playfield, and the strip on the closed bar are all nice and clean. Also, closely examine that strip on the playfield surface. If the playfield metal strip is lifted over the wood surface of the playfield, the ball can "hop" when it strikes the metal strip, making it harder to complete the circuit. Less likely, but if the playfield strip is pushed too far down, the ball might not make good contact when it rolls over. Examine that strip carefully, ensuring that it's as flush with the wooden playfield surface as possible, neither too low nor too high. Getting this tuned is much like dialing in a slingshot or pop bumper switch on any game... millimeters matter. Takes a bit of futzing for best results.

#1693 1 year ago

There are soooo many ways to get big scores on this game. Probably the single best path is to blow up several tent modes in a single ball, and crank up the bonus X -- Tent Win Bonus can be huge. But to get the biggest tent mode scores, you want lots of ducks, so maybe grab a couple Abby Nirmal steins... or you can load up on the steins that boost the tent modes you play... or should you load up on Reclab steins to advance Bonus X faster? Or, yes, load up on calories to boost the multiballs... with a Frosty Ferret or a Freakshow Rooster?

I'm still amazed that after coding the game and playing it for years, I still don't have an obvious "best" approach to the game. Perhaps for some people, it's a little too much strategizing and not as much carefree shooting, but IMHO it keeps it fresh forever.

3 weeks later
#1729 1 year ago

Heya, great question. Seems we’ll have a little break in our daily insanity coming up soon, during which time I’m planning to release updates for both Oktoberfest and Hot Wheels.

Thanks for asking.

#1732 1 year ago

Scorbit capability will be the main feature, along with misc tweaks and bug fixes.

And yes, that inlane skill shot is legit!

#1736 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Is there a setting to allow more time when choosing a stein? Sometimes when I haven't played for a while I get stuck thinking my stein strategy and it times out if I'm not flipping through the choices.

Yes, there is: Settings > Oktoberfest > Selection Timeout (applies to both steins and tents). This includes an option of "Off" if you like to use that opportunity to top off your IRL stein.

#1746 1 year ago

Yes it is. I’d suggest downloading the latest code from the American Pinball site — there are all sorts of new goodies since the version you have.

#1751 1 year ago

Yes. Unfortunately, the membrane switches used in the locks have a well-deserved bad reputation. Many owners have no problem with them at all, but many other owners do have trouble with them, and the symptoms tend to be what you describe.

You may be able to mitigate this problem -- possibly for a long time -- by going into Settings > Oktoberfest > Lock Switch Compensation, and turning that ON. (Changing this setting requires a full reboot for the change to take effect -- the latest code should reboot automatically, but if not, just power cycle after exiting the service menu.)

Long term, it would probably be wise to order a couple of these membrane switches to have in the parts box if/when they flake out beyond the ability of the software to accommodate. They are available from the American Pinball store. <https://store.american-pinball.com/products/membrane-switch>

Hope this helps.

1 week later
#1766 1 year ago

Nice! Any particular strategy that you used, or was it just one of those “you can do no wrong” games?

#1774 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Is the latest code update available yet?

No, GTF release was just a couple days ago, please let us breathe a little bit first. Updates will be coming. Thanks for your patience!

#1780 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

How do you activate team play?

1) Ensure it's enabled: Settings > Standard > Team Play Allowed.
2) Hold the right flipper button while starting a game.
3) When each player starts their first ball, they will be prompted to choose Team Otto or Team Inga -- press the appropriate flipper button to join a team!

You can have any mix-and-match of players on teams that you want: all players on a single team, 3 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc.

Enjoy!

2 weeks later
1 week later
#1815 12 months ago

If you already have Lock Switch Compensation turned on, does that mean you had already experienced problems with the lock switches in the past?

Try going into Tests > Switches, thump on the playfield with the side of your fist (not TOO aggressively , and see if any of the Beer Barrel lock, Corkscrew lock, and/or trough switches "flutter" when you do this.

#1818 11 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Any AP folk know if there was ever an OKT prototype with an inner orbit rather than the newton ball/hammer feature next to Otto?

There was not. It was always a captive ball. I love captive balls, the curved lane is cool, and it's also cool that there are a couple switches in there so we can detect the strength of hits. It's just unfortunate that you can't SEE it.

1 week later
#1837 11 months ago

That is a really good question. Those membrane switches seem to have a mind of their own ... some of them work fine for long periods, others go flaky quickly. Wish I could promise you that a replacement would be permanent (or at least "really long time") but can't say that for sure. :/

3 weeks later
#1873 10 months ago

Only other thing I would check is that all the speaker cables (computer -> filter, filter -> amp, amp -> speakers) are nice and tight, so that it's not a matter of the shaker vibrating a wiggly connection.

Beyond that, I'd suggest filing a service ticket here: <https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/> ... always a good idea if you have problems with your game, just to get the ball rolling.

Has your machine always had this problem, or did it just start recently?

#1879 10 months ago

Heh... that is almost certainly true. Added to my Big To Do List, thanks for the report.

And very glad to hear that futzing with the cables fixed your audio problem. Pesky EMI. Hopefully something similar works for @skilame.

#1885 10 months ago

Thanks for the update, @skilame! Very glad to hear that you've happier with your machine's setup now.

And of course, great to hear that you're loving the game! So much to do, so many ways to approach it, so much fun.

Enjoy!

2 weeks later
#1910 10 months ago

Austin's not just my neighbor, he's a friend, fellow league/tournament competitor (who beats me up more often than not, unfortunately ), and all around good guy. Check out his other videos too, he has some great stuff.

Quoted from SLicK350:

Any rumours of a code update? Going on 9 months …

I haven't forgotten! We'll get there... hopefully soon.

#1918 10 months ago

The next (and probably last) code update fixes a few bugs, including the HSTD one, and adds Scorbit support. It probably would've already been out, except that there are some gymnastics involved with adding WiFi drivers for Scorbit support.

Ballderdash - I don't think I understand. Ball search doesn't trigger until ~20 seconds of inactivity. Are you saying there's some scenario where that causes a problem, but everything would be OK at 22 seconds of inactivity? I'm having a hard time picturing that case.

4 weeks later
#1942 9 months ago

Dave @ AP? If you're referring to Dave Brennan... please don't email him, he left American Pinball awhile ago.

If you think your machine is missing any parts that it's supposed to have, please file a ticket here: <https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/>. Our Service team will help you out. Thanks!

#1951 9 months ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Any updates on the code fix? Ferret
Still can't add high scores in multiplayer games. We have to play 2 or 3 single player games in case someone gets a high score. Kinda sucks playing this way

Still in the queue... we have an upcoming GTF code update in the next couple weeks, then I'll be able to focus on Oktoberfest and Hot Wheels updates again.

2 weeks later
#1957 8 months ago

It might be a bit of a hike for you, but last I checked, Knoebel's still has a shooting gallery, along with a bunch of other very cool old-time games -- Fascination is always popular. Super cool amusement park.

#1960 8 months ago

Knoebel's is like stepping back in time. Totally different experience from Cedar Point (which I lovvvvvve) but so much fun.

#1976 8 months ago
Quoted from Duster72:

My pinball skills have improved and I found the game much more enjoyable than before. I am starting to think this game is severely underrated.

I'm biased and all, but I absolutely agree with you, the game is woefully underrated. Perhaps more than any game I own, it's the one where I stop to think what strategy I'm going to try today. There are so many ways to approach the game, it really never gets old. And it's so fun to set things up with just the steins you want for the modes and/or multiballs you want, then watch the points explode when you get everything going ... or scream in agony when you drain before making that happen. All the better if you're competing against someone who also knows the game well.

On the other hand, it's probably all a bit much to absorb at a glance, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the lower ratings are players who just tried it a couple times at a show, couldn't immediately get a lot going, and gave it a low rating. IMHO it's a better "players game" and game for long-term ownership than it is a game for casual play.

#1979 8 months ago

There's a pretty decent rule sheet on TiltForums ... not 100% complete or accurate, but might answer some questions for ya.

http://tiltforums.com/t/oktoberfest-pinball-on-tap-rulesheet/5353

#1981 8 months ago

Here's a sneaky trick to opening the bar: a ricochet shot off the PROST targets into the bar will immediately open the bar. This is a surprisingly makable shot from the lower left flipper. (Similarly, a left orbit -> direct bar hit combo will also immediately open the bar, but if you're already having a hard time hitting it from the upper right flipper, it probably won't be easier when it's flying around the orbit at speed.)

You're correct in saying that if you tweak the upper flipper to make the Beer Barrel ramp easier, it makes the bar harder, and vice versa. Just the nature of the angles.

#1982 8 months ago

And BTW, for all of you lamenting Oktoberfest's low score on Pinside's ratings... y'all can do something about that, you know.

#1989 8 months ago

That callout is still in there. It is (and always has been) random, and percentaged to be infrequent... so if you haven't heard it lately, it's just bad RNG. There is zero justification for it thematically, but given the obvious similarity to that combo on STTNG, I couldn't resist the easter egg.

In a similar vein, keep your eyes and ears peeled for the rare "You Big Sausage!" bonus and callout after you've bashed Otto enough times -- a little something for fans of Funhouse or Road Show.

#1990 8 months ago

And thanks to everyone for the favorable ratings of Oktoberfest (and other American games too, of course!) -- we appreciate the support.

#2006 8 months ago

Are both switches malfunctioning right now? The top one in your photo is the actual high power interlock -- if that isn't working properly, none of your coils will work. The bottom switch in your photo basically just signals to the game code whether the door is open or closed, so it can show the "Coin Door is Open" UI -- if only that one was broken, the game would still be playable, just with the "Coin Door is Open" UI floating and annoying you.

3 weeks later
2 months later
#2056 5 months ago

It's still coming, but (just in the interest of transparency) Hot Wheels update will be coming first.

#2060 5 months ago

Yes, Hot Wheels and Oktoberfest are getting Scorbit support.

1 week later
#2074 4 months ago

I don't remember that video right now, but knowing his work, I suspect Dave did a good job explaining what needed to be done. Should be much easier than trying the same task on an older machine.

2 months later
#2185 74 days ago
Quoted from Top_Fuel_Friday:

Ferret AmericanPinball Have any connections on parts for Oktoberfest?

I don't, I'm afraid. I would just refer you to the Support team at American.

But I love what Big_Whoopin contributed... pinball is a whole new world with 3-D printing in the mix.

#2192 73 days ago

I for one am ecstatic to have LTG on the American Pinball team. He has decades of reputation of being knowledgable, helpful, and kind. That's exactly the person I want helping our customers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-owners-10-?tu=Ferret and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.