IMG_0457 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0455 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 4.26.50 PM (resized).png
Pinside_forum_7355536_2 (resized).jpg
oktoberfest shooter 2 (resized).jpg
Oktoberfest Shooter (resized).jpg
IMG_9338 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
oktoberfest_release_notes.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_8800 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3852 (resized).JPG
IMG_3853 (resized).JPG
There are 2,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 46.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Is it possible that the new code is fleshing out this issue? Now that you describe it, I'll tell you I have been using a playfield protector since day one and I've never seen the API cockpit recommend that there is a switch issue. The way the protector is cut, the ball could have never literally made contact with the metal plate in the playfield because the protector covers it. I had always just assumed that it was some kind of eddie sensor and that the plate was basically an antenna for it.
I am now wondering if my game has never fully worked due to the playfield protector I installed. That said, the switch warning is new. I can confirm that because I have a picture from the first time I serviced the machine in June.[quoted image]

It is possible the ball is completing the circuit when entering the bar, so would not show up as a switch error.

Covering the metal plate is going to limit how often bar will be open. Also as Lloyd stated important to keep both the plate and door surfaces clean.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

It is possible the ball is completing the circuit when entering the bar, so would not show up as a switch error.
Covering the metal plate is going to limit how often bar will be open. Also as Lloyd stated important to keep both the plate and door surfaces clean.

Ok, I am going to cut the protector away and see if that improves it. Thank you for the info! I can’t believe I never knew this. :/

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Ok, I am going to cut the protector away and see if that improves it. Thank you for the info! I can’t believe I never knew this. :/

you may need to cut it away at least an inch around the plate, to reduce the skipping when it comes off the protector

#254 4 years ago

@aniraf, who sold you your playfield protector?

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

aniraf, who sold you your playfield protector?

I bought it from https://www.playfield-protectors.com/. I've grown to like them as my overflow machines are in a bar and it gives me some peace of mind.

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

you may need to cut it away at least an inch around the plate, to reduce the skipping when it comes off the protector

Yeah, I was certainly thinking about that. I've had some luck using a butane torch and warming the plastic to smooth it out. That allows me to both cut and clean the edge. I have certainly run into issues with the protectors even though they are super thin. A ball with just the right amount of speed and get stuck on the protector lip. I work really hard to make that impossible on my games.

#257 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me if this is the same size as a stern or jjp? Want folded down dimensions to make sure itll fit in my car

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Can anyone tell me if this is the same size as a stern or jjp? Want folded down dimensions to make sure itll fit in my car

It is not the same but it is close. I last time I measured it was within .5 inches on width and I think length was the same.

#259 4 years ago

Ok thanks. Just want to make sure it will fit out of box. I can fit stern and jjp nib in my car, but not data east or gottlieb system 3

#260 4 years ago

The time given to chose a stein before the game selects the one you're considering is 3 seconds... that's not even enough time to look at the map and make sure that stein is not for a completed mode... not to mention think about if the generic game benefit is what you want bearing in mind where you are in the game... several times it's selected a stein I don't want... I realise I can get round this by repeatedly pressing the flipper button so the timer re-sets, but this is a nuicence to then have to scroll back to the stein you started from if you realise you do want it... and is also accompanied by the Stein change sound bite, which is annoying to hear it again and again and again and again and... is it good coding when players have to do that? Can this please be fixed in the next code update? Either make the time adjustable in the menu or have the auto-select on-off... a response from AP re whether they have this in the plan would be appreciated. Thanks.

#261 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

The time given to chose a stein before the game selects the one you're considering is 3 seconds... that's not even enough time to look at the map and make sure that stein is not for completed mode... not to mention think about if the generic game benefit is what you want bearing in mind where you are in the game... several times it's selected a stein I don't want... I realise I can get round this by repeatedly pressing the flipper button so the timer re-sets, but this is a nuicence to then have to scroll back to the stein you started from if you realise you do want it... and is also accompanied by the Stein change sound bite, which is annoying to hear it again and again and again and again and... is it good coding when players have to do that? Can this please be fixed in the next code update? Either make the time adjustable in the menu or have the auto-select on-off... a response from AP re whether they have this in the plan would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pretty confused by your 'annoying' comment, when moving between steins, you only get a sound effect, not a sound bite. If you are talking about the sound effect, most players want a sound indication when moving between options. I have had no one else comment about not liking having the effect.

As you said, you can flip to get more time (and can just flip right back to that time if needed), extending that time would slow things down too much for those not familiar with selecting steins, etc. Heck, I hear a lot more of the opposite, with folks feeling the game should just randomly give you a stein and not let you select it, since that slows things down.

#262 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Pretty confused by your 'annoying' comment, when moving between steins, you only get a sound effect, not a sound bite. If you are talking about the sound effect, most players want a sound indication when moving between options. I have had no one else comment about not liking having the effect.

Sorry, please let me elaborate... I see a stein and have to decide if I want it... what I'd like to do is look at the map and find the mode that that Stein helps... usually, by the time I've done that, the game selects the Stein for me (I've only got 3 seconds after all). To avoid the game auto selecting that stein I have to keep pressing one of the flipper buttons to re-set the timer, thus moving to a different Stein... this un-necessary cycling of the Steins just to avoid the auto select keeps making the game fire the sound effect... if I'm playing with a newbie and explaining what I'm doing, hearing that sound effect (this is what I meant when I said sound bite) repeating is, I find, annoying... not to mention having to get back to that stein if I find I want it... sure, I can use the two handed left-right technique as you suggest... my suggestion is not to extend the time, but to add in the menu an option for the owner to turn the auto select function off... or to allow the time to be extended by the owner... the default time can stay as is to avoid the scenario you're referring to... best for everyone... no? Should be pretty easy to code in I imagine and help owners like me enjoy the game more... much more relaxing

Just to clarify, the sound sample itself is not annoying... only when repeatedly heard as scrolling through Steins while trying to decide on one particular stein... I'd be much happier listening to the more ambient background crowd sound as I think what I want to do...

The repeating sound element of my frustration is the least annoying part of this issue to be honest... the most annoying thing is having to do all this Stein scrolling to avoid the game selecting for me... I just want to play in peace... it's like the game is nagging me to make my mind up...

#263 4 years ago

So, the question is... can there please be an option for the owner to turn off the auto select feature for the stein selection? Please? May as well do it for tent selection too... kill 2 birds with one stone as it were

I realise I'm probably being very annoying asking for this... but it's a win-win at the end of the day... it certainly can't make the game any worse if the default is to leave the timer as-is... so it can only get better... for people such as myself

I'm also happy with the randomly give Stein idea personally by the way, it just makes tournament play an issue... but when there IS a choice, can't we, the owners, decide if we want to have time to think about it (I mean more than 3 seconds) ?

#264 4 years ago

We certainly want the default for this to remain as it is now, but sure, we can make this timer be adjustable in the next release.

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

We certainly want the default for this to remain as it is now, but sure, we can make this timer be adjustable in the next release.

Fully understood and totally agree.. for site locations, the player shouldn't be left wondering what's happening! If you do have an adjustable timer, PLEASE have the option to simply turn off the auto select... for home use it would make it a nice feature to allow the player to re-fill his/her stein... and provide the peace of mind to know that he's able to ponder over the magic of the strategy that the code has created!

#266 4 years ago

I agree pinballslave, it could be nice to can set a timer at on/off for choosing steins

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

New Oktoberfest owner here. Did anyone have any issues with the door under Otto's bar when they first turned their game on? If his door is open, the stepper motor sounds like it is trying as hard as it can to close, but nothing is moving. The door works fine in test mode and seems to not be hung up on anything. It only happens when you turn the game on and the door is open or partially open. If you turn the game on and the door is closed, there is no issue. Obviously the door isn't going to be closed every time the game is turned off. I'm afraid one of my kids is going to turn all of the games on and the motor will burn out! It's really loud too.

My Oktoberfest starting to have the same issue. Very loud buzzing sound with the bar door closing, then vibrating. Takes away from wanting to play it is so loud. I can see the bar door closing and vibrating. I haven't downloaded the latest update. Should that take care of the problem?

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from mpgeden:

My Oktoberfest starting to have the same issue. Very loud buzzing sound with the bar door closing, then vibrating. Takes away from wanting to play it is so loud. I can see the bar door closing and vibrating. I haven't downloaded the latest update. Should that take care of the problem?

Contact Barry in tech support [email protected]

#269 4 years ago

Do try the latest code update first to see if that resolves buzzing of the bar door.

#270 4 years ago

I just joined the club! I played a game, then my son played a game, and somehow off his first plunge (i missed what he did) he had a 6 ball multi going. Is this normal or some sort of glitch?

#272 4 years ago

I also found that sometimes off the plunge, the ball will go into the bar doors, it will auto plunge a second ball, but the flippers are dead because im still choosing a stein. Very odd stuff, latest code. Ill email american pinball

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Ill email american pinball

Include a log copy from your game.

LTG : )

#274 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

american pinball

Luckily this Oktoberfest has been perfect so far. One night Houdini acted real funny with balls not registering when they drained, but we turned it off, waited 5 minutes and turned it back on, and 40 plays later it is still doing fine.

Anyway, did you try just turning it off and on again? I was so glad that worked for me that time.

And I am sure AP or LTG will help soon, they are awesome!

#275 4 years ago

Just like Superman he is always right there!

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Luckily this Oktoberfest has been perfect so far. One night Houdini acted real funny with balls not registering when they drained, but we turned it off, waited 5 minutes and turned it back on, and 40 plays later it is still doing fine.
Anyway, did you try just turning it off and on again? I was so glad that worked for me that time.

That i have not tried yet. Ill try that in the morning before emailing. I also was thinking of reinstalling the code, and checking all switches. I did get over 5 million pretty easily with glitches!

#277 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

I did get over 5 million pretty easily with glitches!

I am not that great of a player so if a glitch was helping me I may ignore a few days.

Houdini was not registering when the ball drained to give a ball save, so that had to be fixed asap.

Every time my computer has ever messed up and I am ready to call a repair guy, friends say just turn it off and then turn it on again and it may be ok.

So far with me anyway, computers and pinball machines have been fixed a whole lot of times by just restarting.

By all means though, if that does not work contact AP. And like LTG always says, send them the data.

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Rosh or Barry will help, or you can email Barry, [email protected]

I don't have a game to try and help beyond basics.

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

before emailing.

You can also use their website support system : https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

#280 4 years ago

Thanks ltg!

#281 4 years ago

After a restart it appears to be working normally. Ill just have to play it all day to make sure its good!

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

I also found that sometimes off the plunge, the ball will go into the bar doors, it will auto plunge a second ball, but the flippers are dead because im still choosing a stein. Very odd stuff, latest code. Ill email american pinball

I've had similar issues with some inapporpriate ball saves. I'm beginning to suspect it has something to do with the balls not registering in the tough correctly. A couple of logs have been sent and I'm waiting to see if there is data to support it. I've also had the same issue with the 6 ball "multiball". When changing the flipper rubbers to real rubber, unbeknownst to me, one one of the originals fell in the ball trough. When I tried starting the game, holy crap the game started throwing out balls like candy. Once the rubber was removed life was good again. It is sporadic but thankfully has not happened in a while.

#283 4 years ago

At least im not the only one. Ill check the trough. If you do hear back, please let me know

#284 4 years ago

Question about an Oktoberfest issue that a reboot has not fixed. It seems the Beer Barrel lock switch continues to be tripped and starts kicking out extra balls. Makes for an interesting game but would prefer it to not happen every few games.

Anything I can check on this? Does the switch need to be cleaned or is it a symptom of a bad switch?

thanks!

#285 4 years ago
Quoted from t500:

Anything I can check on this? Does the switch need to be cleaned or is it a symptom of a bad switch?

I don't have a game to check, but I'd concentrate on the switch. Opto - check for cold solder joint on the optos, micro mini switch - check wiring to it, adjustment, and correct number of balls in the game and all accounted for.

And definitely contact American Pinball - https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ they are great at getting you going. They want you enjoying your machine as much as possible.

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

I've had similar issues with some inapporpriate ball saves...

It’s happened in my game a few times (a second ball is launched when it’s not supposed to). I sent Rosh the log the other day. Speaking of “the log”, it gets pretty large after a while. The one I sent was about 10 megabytes (compressed). Is there an easy way to clear the log?

#287 4 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Is there an easy way to clear the log?

Nothing in the manual. Ask Rosh ( Josh the software guy )

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Is there an easy way to clear the log?

No need to clear logs. The machine only keeps logs from last 10 times the machine was turned on. So size is really tied to the amount of game play each time the game was booted up. So if you are getting better and playing longer games, well, logs will get bigger, but never so big that they become a problem unless you went days without powering off/on.

#289 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

No need to clear logs. The machine only keeps logs from last 10 times the machine was turned on. So size is really tied to the amount of game play each time the game was booted up. So if you are getting better and playing longer games, well, logs will get bigger, but never so big that they become a problem unless you went days without powering off/on.

Good to know. Gmail file attachment size limit is 25MB. Sounds like that won’t be a problem.

#290 4 years ago

As a follow-up, a new membrane switch in the Beer Barrel Lock appears to have fixed my issues.

#291 4 years ago

On the Tilt Warning screen is it normal to have a horizontal line across the top part of the monitor? This only shows up on the Tilt screen and is not any other time. Just want to make sure this isn't an early sign of a bad screen.

One more question, is there a shortcut to end a game? For example if a multiplayer game is accidentally started can you kill the game without turning off the power?

tilt (resized).jpgtilt (resized).jpg
#292 4 years ago
Quoted from t500:

On the Tilt Warning screen is it normal to have a horizontal line across the top part of the monitor? This only shows up on the Tilt screen and is not any other time. Just want to make sure this isn't an early sign of a bad screen.

I believe that's a masking line that I meant to fix but obviously didn't. It's not a problem with your LCD.

Quoted from t500:

One more question, is there a shortcut to end a game? For example if a multiplayer game is accidentally started can you kill the game without turning off the power?

Yes, two solutions:

1) If it's ball 2 or later, you can press and hold the Start button for a few seconds until the game ends.
2) You can open the coin door and hit Enter, Exit to pop in and out of service mode, which ends the game.

#293 4 years ago

Hi guys,

I have general illumination "anormally" blinking sometimes. Make that on yours?

And last time, the scoop didn't want to eject my ball, I think that was during duck derby. I had to wait until the pinball start all coils, but when ball was ejected from the scoop, flippers didn't work and I lost my ball. I Checked the concerned switch (scoop) but it seems to work normally.

Anyone had these issues?

Have a nice day.

#294 4 years ago
Quoted from raboulduke:

Anyone had these issues?

There is a switch test in the game, roll a ball to it and see if it closes and stays closed.

And please contact them, they want you enjoying your game as much as you do :

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from raboulduke:

Hi guys,
And last time, the scoop didn't want to eject my ball, I think that was during duck derby. I had to wait until the pinball start all coils, but when ball was ejected from the scoop, flippers didn't work and I lost my ball. I Checked the concerned switch (scoop) but it seems to work normally.
Anyone had these issues?
Have a nice day.

Make sure you have the latest code installed. The previous code had a bug where if you double flipped to bypass the duck derby animation too early it would cause this issue. It should of launched a second ball still for the Duck Derby mb.

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from raboulduke:

Can you provide more details on what you're observing? Under what circumstances does it happen? There is at least one GI lighting effect that looks like blinking: any time playfield X is active (T-A-P lanes), all GI do an alternating pattern.

Quoted from raboulduke:

I have the same suspicion as @PokerJake, as that was indeed a bug in Duck Derby in previous releases. Make sure you're running the latest code (19.10.27)... if you're on an older version for some reason, you can avoid that bug simply by allowing the Duck Derby intro sequence to run normally, not double-flipping to cancel.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

There is at least one GI lighting effect that looks like blinking: any time playfield X is active (T-A-P lanes), all GI do an alternating pattern.

I noticed that and was a tad concerned, now I know this machine is 100%.

Thanks again AP! I am glad you guys and LTG are always around.

#298 4 years ago

We want to make sure our customers love their American Pinball games!

And although LTG doesn't work for us, he's freakin' awesome! (or should I say... Great!)

#299 4 years ago

Black Friday Special.

AP (resized).jpgAP (resized).jpg
#300 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Black Friday Special.

A separate promotion for games.

ap2 (resized).jpgap2 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,296 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-owners-10-/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.