IMG_0457 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0455 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 4.26.50 PM (resized).png
Pinside_forum_7355536_2 (resized).jpg
oktoberfest shooter 2 (resized).jpg
Oktoberfest Shooter (resized).jpg
IMG_9338 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
oktoberfest_release_notes.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_8800 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3852 (resized).JPG
IMG_3853 (resized).JPG
IMG_0796 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0797 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0805 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 46.
#1251 1 year ago

Question, there's an Oktoberfest just listed today here on Pinside. In his pics, the machine is displaying some nice looking ladies in Attract mode. How is this done? Is it old code? New code? My machine does not have these images, bit I'd like it to.

Screenshot_20220627-114746_Brave (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220627-114746_Brave (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220627-114753_Brave (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220627-114753_Brave (resized).jpg
#1252 1 year ago

Something in the settings. Custom attract picture. Probably added via jpeg file on clean USB stick.

#1253 1 year ago

Page 29 in the manual. Custom message or what ever you want.

You can download the manual here - http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2021-10/Okto-english-manual-10-5-21.pdf

LTG : )

#1254 1 year ago

You can put up one "Custom Message" in attract. details in manual, but basically PNG file 1366x768, copy to USB and insert into USB extension cable in coin door, then enable in settings.

#1255 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

You can put up one "Custom Message" in attract. details in manual, but basically PNG file 1366x768, copy to USB and insert into USB extension cable in coin door, then enable in settings.

So only 1 image can be added? I'll definitely have a look at the manual.

#1256 1 year ago

Yes, only one custom image. If this machine has more than one custom attract image, not sure how they're doing that, unless they've fiddled with the hard drive directly.

#1257 1 year ago

In the manual it says rename as custom_message.png.
Just rename as custom_message as it’s already a png, or it won’t take.
Here’s the one I made following the you tube link directions for mine.

8EAD3151-3564-4946-84DE-F483DBB8A899 (resized).jpeg8EAD3151-3564-4946-84DE-F483DBB8A899 (resized).jpeg
#1258 1 year ago

That actually varies a bit depending on whether you’re on Windows or Mac, and if you have Finder or Explorer configured to show or hide file extensions. Can get a bit confusing. But ultimately the file that goes on the USB stick must be named custom_message.png — not custom_message, not custom_message.png.png.

#1259 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

That actually varies a bit depending on whether you’re on Windows or Mac, and if you have Finder or Explorer configured to show or hide file extensions. Can get a bit confusing. But ultimately the file that goes on the USB stick must be named custom_message.png — not custom_message, not custom_message.png.png.

Right! Trying not to confuse anyone confused about what can be A confusing direction!
it took me at least four tries before the light bulb went off for naming the file after staying to literal to the directions and not just thinking about it!
(Beer may or may not have been involved)

#1260 1 year ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

(Beer may or may not have been involved)

Thankfully you have the right game for that. PROST!

#1261 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

but the underlying issue is probably the membranes.

To increase longevity of the barrel lock switches, try turning off the feature to hold balls game-to-game.
I don't have solid data to support this, but I can say I troubleshoot that membrane switch 10x more with owners compared to the coaster lock which has the default to release the locked balls at the end of game.

#1262 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

To increase longevity of the barrel lock switches, try turning off the feature to hold balls game-to-game.
I don't have solid data to support this, but I can say I troubleshoot that membrane switch 10x more with owners compared to the coaster lock which has the default to release the locked balls at the end of game.

I'll add to this by saying: I never turn the machine off and walk away with balls remaining in the barrel lock. You're just asking for trouble if you do.

#1263 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I'll add to this by saying: I never turn the machine off and walk away with balls remaining in the barrel lock. You're just asking for trouble if you do.

Always!

#1264 1 year ago

@ferret. Do you know if the next run will be the last of the classic (deluxe) design or will it be switched to the new design? Thanks!

#1265 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I'll make the commitment here and now to have the next Oktoberfest beta available within 30 days. You have permission to come after me with the torches and pitchforks if I haven't followed through by July 17.

Hey Ferrett, 11 days until pitchforks and torches. Wink wink, nudge nudge

#1266 1 year ago
Quoted from chewiec:

Ferret. Do you know if the next run will be the last of the classic (deluxe) design or will it be switched to the new design? Thanks!

I'm afraid I know nothing about that, sorry.

Hey Ferrett, 11 days until pitchforks and torches. Wink wink, nudge nudge

I haven't forgotten! I should be sending a package for alpha (inside the company) testing next week to hopefully guard against any complete idiocy on my part, before sending the beta the following week.

#1267 1 year ago

Wait, so the next run of Oktoberfest might be different? Tell me more?! I have a deposit on a next run game. I’m excited!!

#1268 1 year ago

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/strong-demand-leads-american-pinball-to-build-legends-of-valhalla-classic

No it's this run that will be the final original run, after this run of Octoberfest Houdini and Hot Wheels, they will all have the same standard trim and legs, and the same uniform cabinet which means this is the last time you will see the wider head on Oktoberfest, as well as their unique powder coating colors, so they can save some money and get the machines out faster.

LOV has double the orders for the classic edition? So you're telling me it's already sold 1500 machines?

No wonder they're building a 3rd and 4th line, this is amazing news for American pinball, I'm glad LOV has gone gangbusters!

#1269 1 year ago
Quoted from Wizkid93:

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/strong-demand-leads-american-pinball-to-build-legends-of-valhalla-classic
No it's this run that will be the final original run, after this run of Octoberfest Houdini and Hot Wheels, they will all have the same standard trim and legs, and the same uniform cabinet which means this is the last time you will see the wider head on Oktoberfest, as well as their unique powder coating colors, so they can save some money and get the machines out faster.

So as Oktoberfest perhaps nears the end of production, even though the originals will have the wider head and more unique powder coating, the last runs will perhaps actually end up a little rarer by the numbers?

#1271 1 year ago

Holy moly I need it now

#1272 1 year ago

OK, this had better be available as an upgrade for existing owners. Not just on new production runs. Please say it's available separately.

#1273 1 year ago

OK, this had better be available as an upgrade for existing owners. Not just on new production runs. Please say it's available separately.

I believe this is all done exclusively by Josh and won't come on the new runs. Correct me if I am wrong though.

#1274 1 year ago

Anyone know the latest on production? Thought they were supposed to come off the line a few months ago.

#1275 1 year ago
Quoted from tectonyc:

Anyone know the latest on production? Thought they were supposed to come off the line a few months ago.

LOV has double the orders for the classic edition? So you're telling me it's already sold 1500 machines?
No wonder they're building a 3rd and 4th line, this is amazing news for American pinball, I'm glad LOV has

#1276 1 year ago
Quoted from chewiec:

I believe this is all done exclusively by Josh and won't come on the new runs. Correct me if I am wrong though.

But will it be available for purchase?
Edit: I see it will. I need to learn to read and not just watch the video....lol.

#1277 1 year ago

The new Otto is light years better than the old one and even matches the bar underneath better IMO. Well done Josh. I will be needing one for sure.

#1278 1 year ago
Quoted from chewiec:

Correct, AP and I parted ways at end of March, so this mod was developed by me. It should work on the games being made in the next run, not sure what changes might be made on future runs.

But will it be available for purchase?
Edit: I see it will. I need to learn to read and not just watch the video....lol.

lol, yeah, I wanted to lead with the video to get a good reveal, and I can see how the link below could be ignored after the wow of seeing it, probably should have put some info at the end of the video.

#1279 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I haven't forgotten! I should be sending a package for alpha (inside the company) testing next week to hopefully guard against any complete idiocy on my part, before sending the beta the following week.

In typical Pinside over reaction fashion, it's time for the pitch forks and torches!!

IMG_2100 (resized).jpgIMG_2100 (resized).jpg

#1280 1 year ago

In typical Pinside over reaction fashion, it's time for the pitch forks and torches!!

Whoa, hold on there. He's still got 5 days!

Quoted from Ferret:

Tell y'all what... since (at least in my brain) it is more likely to get tasks on the front-burner when they have a specific date, instead of "coming soon", I'll make the commitment here and now to have the next Oktoberfest beta available within 30 days. You have permission to come after me with the torches and pitchforks if I haven't followed through by July 17.

THEN we get the pitchforks and torches!

(All in good fun, @ferret!)

#1281 1 year ago
Quoted from Big_Whoopin:

Whoa, hold on there. He's still got 5 days!

THEN we get the pitchforks and torches!
(All in good fun, Ferret!)

Lol, for some reason I thought it was the 11th.... But seriously, I'm just grateful for an update whenever that may occur.

#1282 1 year ago

Ferret is minus five days late! String him up!

#1283 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Ferret is minus five days late! String him up!

That's about how pinside works isn't it?

#1284 1 year ago
Quoted from tectonyc:

I saw a passing reference to someone receiving one, but no idea if it's from this run or bought from Pinside market.

My distributor last said late July / early August, but anyone's guess.

#1285 1 year ago

My distributor has been saying very very soon for the last two months and I'm about to BURST because it's quite close to a year lead time,

I'm ITCHIN' to play it bad and rip that box open when it arrives.

#1286 1 year ago

The games is a lot of fun,wild magnets,cool ramps and great ball locks.

Enjoy.

#1287 1 year ago

::nervously eyeing the lederhosen-clad approaching villagers::

Hey, folks! Set aside the torches and pitchforks, and pick up your steins! The next Oktoberfest beta test is just about here.

If you'd like to participate in the beta, please send your email address to ferret <at> americanpinball.com. If you join the beta, we would appreciate it if you would send detailed reports of any problems you encounter.

I would also strongly suggest that you NOT participate in the beta test if your machine is on location earning money, or if there is any other reason you want to ensure that your game remains working properly (hosting that big tournament next weekend?). Like all beta tests, things may break -- that's why we're testing! -- and I'd hate for any issues to be hugely problematic for you and/or your customers.

Thanks!

#1288 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Hey, folks! Set aside the torches and pitchforks, and pick up your steins! The next Oktoberfest beta test is just about here.
If you'd like to participate in the beta, please send your email address to ferret <at> americanpinball.com. If you join the beta, we would appreciate it if you would send detailed reports of any problems you encounter.

I'll allow it - Community - Ken Jeong.gifI'll allow it - Community - Ken Jeong.gif
#1289 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

oktoberfest rifle (resized).jpgoktoberfest rifle (resized).jpg
#1290 1 year ago

Hi there- long time reader first time poster. Apologies for my noobie question, what is the protocol if you get a high score but don't deserve it? Do you just shut the machine off?

I recently purchased Oktoberfest and have been loving it so far. Every once in awhile it will start shooting all the balls into the playfield. Either right from the start or after a random ball lane save (not sure what I'm doing to cause this)- but when this happens and I rack up a ton of points I feel bad for getting on the leaderboard because I feel like I didn't really earn it. Anyone else have this issue? What do people do?

Also what strength do people have the VUK coil at? Mine jumps the rails about 30% of the time and I keep trying to find the right coil strength to keep it from jumping at the end of the wire form, hitting the glass, and guttering.

Thanks for this community btw- it is great to know there are others out there!

#1291 1 year ago
Quoted from SteveATX:

What do people do?

If you really feel bad. Go into the software and reset the high scores.

LTG : )

#1292 1 year ago
Quoted from SteveATX:

Hi there- long time reader first time poster. Apologies for my noobie question, what is the protocol if you get a high score but don't deserve it? Do you just shut the machine off?
I recently purchased Oktoberfest and have been loving it so far. Every once in awhile it will start shooting all the balls into the playfield. Either right from the start or after a random ball lane save (not sure what I'm doing to cause this)

You may have a bad membrane switch in either the corkscrew lock or the barrel lock. I would enter the switch test in the operator menu and see if you get erratic switch activity on either of those membranes with one, two, and three balls in those locks.

If you have a bad membrane switch, I would order another one and replace it.

The next step I would take is to enable, "Lock switch compensation." This option will can help compensate for erratic switch activity. Be sure to power cycle the game after enabling this setting.

I hope this helps.

#1293 1 year ago

Magnetized balls will cause a lot of problems too. Whenever I get a high score that is not deserved, I usually put my family names or make one up.

#1294 1 year ago
Quoted from SteveATX:

... I rack up a ton of points...

but than how much ? (lol)

#1295 1 year ago
Quoted from SteveATX:

...what is the protocol if you get a high score but don't deserve it? Do you just shut the machine off?

I don't think there is a protocol per se, it all depends on the person playing and if they want that ill-gotten score on their conscious. But when I'm working on a machine "in game" and rack up a large score or something that would award initial entry in general I will power off the machine before the test game ends.

Regarding why you got all the ball kickouts, check your lock switches as suggested by the others. And don't forget that API has a great system for capturing logs that you can send to support. I believe what they request is that as soon as you notice a problem you take note of what was going on just before it started and get a log captured. Off the top of my head I forget the log capture process, I think you just need to insert a USB thumb drive that is properly formatted into the cable inside the coin door and the game will dump the logs to it. Look it up in the manual to be sure. I'd even go and test the process first *before* you have another problem, just so that when you do have a problem you know the log capture process will work.

EDIT: for capturing and sending logs to API, make sure you've got your machine's time and date set correctly, and when the problem starts note the time that it occurred. That helps support to zero in on the issue.

#1296 1 year ago

So is anyone running the Beta test code yet? My machine isn't playable currently due to a room renovation.

#1297 1 year ago

So is anyone running the Beta test code yet? My machine isn't playable currently due to a room renovation.

Yes, but can't say much about it just yet. Got it installed and only played a single quick game before going back to work. But it at least installed with no issue! With the heat rolling through the east coast this weekend I may spend a good amount of time in the basement with the pins.

@ferret, any chance the version display can support more than just YY.MM.DD? Would be nice if when you are sending out beta code that it could be suffixed with "BETA" or even just "b".

I was also reminded of the slow Oktoberfest boot. When the "classic" edition is released will that be updated to the new hardware that HW and LOV uses? I forget on LOV but on HW that boots so fast! If classic starts using that hardware I might actually be interested in retrofitting it into my earlier Oktoberfest if it would be compatible. ("Whaaaaa! Slow booting! First world problems!)

#1298 1 year ago
Quoted from Big_Whoopin:

I forget on LOV but on HW that boots so fast! If classic starts using that hardware I might actually be interested in retrofitting it into my earlier Oktoberfest if it would be compatible. ("Whaaaaa! Slow booting! First world problems!)

I believe they already said no, that it’s a code and not hardware thing per se. That the code was re-written to speed things up on HW etc. and that wont be done for Oktoberfest.

#1299 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

I believe they already said no, that it’s a code and not hardware thing per se. That the code was re-written to speed things up on HW etc. and that wont be done for Oktoberfest.

Drat. Oh well.

#1300 1 year ago

Installing in the morning.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-owners-10-/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.