IMG_0457 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0455 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 4.26.50 PM (resized).png
Pinside_forum_7355536_2 (resized).jpg
oktoberfest shooter 2 (resized).jpg
Oktoberfest Shooter (resized).jpg
IMG_9338 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
oktoberfest_release_notes.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_8800 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3852 (resized).JPG
IMG_3853 (resized).JPG
IMG_0796 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0797 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0805 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 46.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

A detail like this that is so crucial to gameplay should probably be announced to a new owner in a way that does not leave anything to chance, don't you think? There should even be an short attract animation for potentially future owners of the same game so that this vital message will be passed on to them as well. I have not unboxed this game but based on the above statement, I'm assuming there is little to nothing explaining to owners that the game absolutely needs to be set up this way to play properly. I may be wrong but that post should not have been necessary otherwise.

This is what is under the glass when you receive your American Pinball Oktoberfest machine. You must physically take the glass off to remove this 11X17" sheet of paper!

I guess we could use zero length levelers..

Okf under the glass (resized).PNGOkf under the glass (resized).PNG
#52 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

put in some serious time on our local Oktober fest over the past few days and i'm definitely starting to appreciate the deepness of the code and all the different ways the game can be played. i think my best game has been ~13 million and i feel like i haven't even scratched the surface with what the game offers.
the side ramp is my only complaint (maybe our flipper power needs to be adjusted) but holy hell is it a hard shot to hit. and we've noticed issues with a ball that barely gets up the ramp will drop off the left side and get stuck in the little area between the plastic and the wireform. might be worth adding something there to make sure balls don't drop off that side of the wireform.

That side ramp shot and boomerang ramp are the two things holding me back... they remind me of the tin can shot on Houdini. So frustratingly hard to hit it becomes unfun.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

That side ramp shot and boomerang ramp are the two things holding me back... they remind me of the tin can shot on Houdini. So frustratingly hard to hit it becomes unfun.

adamross
I would initially agree with this however, the more you play the easier they get. It took me a lot of play to finally figure out the sweet spots. Beer Barrel often being done only when magnab is available. The corkscrew ramp hasn't been a problem. The U-turn shot is a pita sometimes.

Give it some more playtime, the game is a blast when you get the shots worked out.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

I kind of like the Houdini shots but only after putting in a TON of time on the game.... and they still can be frustrating.

But yea. They are a little hard to hit but its not taking away from how much fun I'm having (so far lol).

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from TODD969:

adamross
I would initially agree with this however, the more you play the easier they get. It took me a lot of play to finally figure out the sweet spots. Beer Barrel often being done only when magnab is available. The corkscrew ramp hasn't been a problem. The U-turn shot is a pita sometimes.
Give it some more playtime, the game is a blast when you get the shots worked out.

Appreciate the insight. Fortunately there’s one on location not too far from me so I’ll have some time on it this weekend.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from TODD969:

adamross

For me the beer barrel is easier without the magnab. The ball doesnt have enough momentum otherwise. This game is perfect in every way except the beer barrel. Its just too hard for any average player,I barely get it after playing for 2 weeks on mine. I have set the barrel to keep balls like the wonkavater. That way it gets some use. It really is a site when the barrel is tapped! Tons of fun. I cant imagine anyone locking 3 in a single game. I wish the corkscrew coaster got more use as well but Im still figuring out tents etc. That is easier to hit but not had it go off much for such a big feature in the game. I guess challenging stuff like this is why I bought it to keep me entertained at home for years but for friends and average players it can be confusing and frustrating.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

This is what is under the glass when you receive your American Pinball Oktoberfest machine. You must physically take the glass off to remove this 11X17" sheet of paper!
I guess we could use zero length levelers..

Yup, your post is nicely summarized in that box in the bottom right corner...I see it now. Thx.

#58 4 years ago

welp. looks like a transistor and subsequently the board it was on went out on the game i’ve been playing on location. something with the beer barrel lock. new board on the way but it sucks seeing people eyeing the game and wondering why it is off. hopefully not an issue that affects others.

#59 4 years ago

Picked up an Oktoberfest at SFGE. Got to meet and talk with Josh Kugler as well.

20190714_130804 (resized).jpg20190714_130804 (resized).jpg
#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

tely family friendly.

"Inga will be happy to hold your sausage so you can toss some rings!"

This version is better!!! Using sausage and tossing rings as an innuendo can be used/abused as much as possible and will never loose family friendliness imo... kids will hear sausage and ring tossing as just that, but adults will have a giggle!!

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

oodies in the future.

Just got over 200 new voice calls earlier this week, a large chunk are of the non family friendly variety, and to be honest, some might be too "offensive", for even the non family friendly setting.

Personally I think the more risky the innuendo the more fun the game will be... within reason!... use them all and get more!! It will make this game shine to have an array of innuendos! The problem with Scared Stiff, for example, is that the innuendos were limited in number, so they became a groan-fest for me... but this game is crying out for a stack of innuendos!! The humour in this can put it on a par with MM IMO, and quite easily beyond!!! For me, humour is a massive factor in a pinball!! A variety of accents would also help, as per the MM damsels for example... I would love to hear those 200 callouts, there is sooooo much scope for fun here!!!

Obviously the callouts can be grouped into different categories which can be selected by the user, which I guess is your plan... all I'd say is if you think any callouts are too risky even for the non-family Setting, put them in another category (extra non-family) and let the owner decide... f-bombs or any swearing would kill the game imo... keep if purely on the innuendo field, which I'm sure is your intention... or just plain funny... things like "please don't lie on the table sir, people are trying to dance there", all said with a strong female German accent of course. The inventive and imaginative use of funny innuendos and other humour would elevate this already awesome game to another level! Very interested in this pin...

Hallooo! Why don't you come into my tent and taste my lovely pretzels!?

P.s. sorry for posting here as a non-owner, but I am a serious potential owner, so I guess that lets me poke my head into a tent.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Personally I think the more risky the innuendo the more fun the game will be... within reason!... use them all and get more!! It will make this game shine to have an array of innuendos! The problem with Scared Stiff, for example, is that the innuendos were limited in number, so they became a groan-fest for me... but this game is crying out for a stack of innuendos!! The humour in this can put it on a par with MM IMO, and quite easily beyond!!! For me, humour is a massive factor in a pinball!! A variety of accents would also help, as per the MM damsels for example... I would love to hear those 200 callouts, there is sooooo much scope for fun here!!!
Obviously the callouts can be grouped into different categories which can be selected by the user, which I guess is your plan... all I'd say is if you think any callouts are too risky even for the non-family Setting, put them in another category (extra non-family) and let the owner decide... f-bombs or any swearing would kill the game imo... keep if purely on the innuendo field, which I'm sure is your intention... or just plain funny... things like "please don't lie on the table sir, people are trying to dance there", all said with a strong female German accent of course. The inventive and imaginative use of funny innuendos and other humour would elevate this already awesome game to another level! Very interested in this pin...
Hallooo! Why don't you come into my tent and taste my lovely pretzels!?
P.s. sorry for posting here as a non-owner, but I am a serious potential owner, so I guess that lets me poke my head into a tent.

At one point did talk about having multiple 'categories' or 'levels, but hard enough at times to decide if a voice call is family friendly or not, having three, four or five categories would be impossible. Even with just that one dividing line it can be hard to get consensus. Our recent 'game' of 'family friendly or not family friendly' during our seminar at SFGE had only 2 or 3 out of the 12 where it was unanimous as far as which side of the line it belonged.

There is no swearing, does not fit the theme, and there are very few themes that should require it to get humor into the game.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

At one point did talk about having multiple 'categories' or 'levels, but hard enough at times to decide if a voice call is family friendly or not, having three, four or five categories would be impossible. Even with just that one dividing line it can be hard to get consensus. Our recent 'game' of 'family friendly or not family friendly' during our seminar at SFGE had only 2 or 3 out of the 12 where it was unanimous as far as which side of the line it belonged.
There is no swearing, does not fit the theme, and there are very few themes that should require it to get humor into the game.

Josh -

I don't understand what the big deal is. Just offer a squeaky clean "family friendly" version and an "adults only" version with edgy humor. No need for anything more and owners/operators can simply choose between one or the other.

As a prospective buyer, and home collector without little kids, I'm looking for a game with mature humor callouts to match the already adult theme. Anything less (ala Stern's Deadpool) is not going to entice me to add this game to my private gameroom.

#64 4 years ago

Just offer a squeaky clean "family friendly" version and an "adults only" version with edgy humor. No need for anything more and owners/operators can simply choose between one or the other.

This is exactly what we're doing. "Family Friendly" is the default setting, but owners/operators can turn this setting off if they want the spicier A/V.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

This is exactly what we're doing. "Family Friendly" is the default setting, but owners/operators can turn this setting off if they want the spicier A/V.

Excellent!

#66 4 years ago

Just offer a squeaky clean "family friendly" version and an "adults only" version with edgy humor. N

Well, I do want the family friendly version to have some humor, so “squeaky clean” is not quite the goal, but when in doubt it will be tagged “adult”

#67 4 years ago

Not sure if this helps, but the Family Friendly litmus test for me is whether or not a callout would be embarrassing when playing the game with my daughters. It's not an exact science, that's for sure.

#68 4 years ago

"Inga will be happy to hold your sausage while you toss some rings" has to be family friendly however... Sure, it has a hint of innuendo if not a bit more, but kids won't get it anyway... so it can't be offensive... can it?

#69 4 years ago

There's nothing vulgar in the new shout outs. Sure, there is some innuendo there but kids won't know that. For example Inga will say "Are you ready to Bump with Inga?" when you start the bumper cars.

She also says "Does it hurt to lose a ball?" at various times. Whenever you are in the Fud tent she may say "Even Inga can't fit all of that in her mouth!"

If you don't like those you can disable them by putting the machine in family friendly mode.

Personally I think the shout outs are funny but to each his own.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from groffdaddy:

"Are you ready to Bump with Inga?" when you start the bumper cars.

She also says "Does it hurt to lose a ball?" at various times. Whenever you are in the Fud tent she may say "Even Inga can't fit all of that in her mouth!"

Excellent stuff!! The more of this the better... mix it with some non-innuendo stuff as well of course... you don't want to turn Oktoberfest into a groan-fest But making this game have some great humour puts the game on another level IMO!! I'm sure that's a big reason why MM is so loved!

1 week later
#71 4 years ago

Picked my game up at pintastic. Was fortunate to have Joe Balcer sign my machine he even helped me load it.
Have been loving playing it ever since.

012BEA06-1446-4E06-8BC4-EC7C8126BFD9 (resized).jpeg012BEA06-1446-4E06-8BC4-EC7C8126BFD9 (resized).jpeg
#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Static1976:

Picked my game up at pintastic. Was fortunate to have Joe Balcer sign my machine he even helped me load it.
Have been loving playing it ever since.[quoted image]

Glad you had a chance to meet Joe!
Outside of being one of the best designers working in the industry today he is a great guy that has an incredible passion for what he does and goes the extra mile for the customers/fans of our games.

#73 4 years ago

Thats cool! I wanted to have that done at the Oktoberfest in the factory but it was cheaper to have it shipped. I want to have the side blades signed by the team someday.
I like the new call outs for adults. I guess I was thinking more Ruff and Risque stuff. Its still pretty tame. Inuendos that you hear from movies like toy story.

#74 4 years ago

Has anyone noticed how great the quality is on AAP. After playing Oktoberfest for several weeks I went and played some Sterns at the arcade. They felt really cheap and the pop bumpers seemed like tin? I never noticed this in all the years playing until after owning this game.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Has anyone noticed how great the quality is on AAP. After playing Oktoberfest for several weeks I went and played some Sterns at the arcade. They felt really cheap and the pop bumpers seemed like tin? I never noticed this in all the years playing until after owning this game.

I haven't done a scientific study, but I think PROC based games (including Oktoberfest and Houdini) have the best feeling, most responsive coils amongst modern pins. As good or better than 90's Williams/Bally pins (which is something I never thought I would say). What do others think?

#76 4 years ago

What do people who've played this game a while think to the location of the magna-grab buttons (or whatever they're called)? I played a Munsters recently and I found the lower playfield buttons were somehow interfering with my fingers when I was using the normal flippers, so much so that it was becoming painful to play... does anyone have a similar issue with these magnet grabber buttons?

#77 4 years ago

What do people who've played this game a while think to the location of the magna-grab buttons (or whatever they're called)? I played a Munsters recently and I found the lower playfield buttons were somehow interfering with my fingers when I was using the normal flippers, so much so that it was becoming painful to play... does anyone have a similar issue with these magnet grabber buttons?

I have not had any issues with the magna grab buttons at all. My wife didn't even know they were there and she still can't seem to get the hang of using them.

#78 4 years ago

the button feels a little close for my tastes and i’ve definitely mis-triggered it a few times. and of course i forget to use it when i actually should be. i think it probably gets in the way for people who flip with their index fingers vs those that use their middle fingers. but nothing game breaking or anything

#79 4 years ago

Not a problem. And, the magnet actions are crazy fun. This game has so many great features.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

i think it probably gets in the way for people who flip with their index fingers vs those that use their middle fingers.

I think that's the problem with me... I use my index finger, so I find that where my middle finger would normally rest on the cab, on games where a 2nd button is close to the main flipper button, and below it, then I find I'm straining my middle finger to lift it away from this 2nd button... basically there's nowhere to rest my middle finger... I never had this issue with Black Knight for example... the buttons could always be re-positioned I guess, but it would mess up the side-rails... I could only play Munsters for about 20 mins before I felt some serious strain.

#81 4 years ago

Another option would be to reverse the switches so that the lower buttons are the flipper buttons... does anyone know if this would be easy? If they are opto switches mounted on a board I guess hacking the wiring would do the trick... but bridging the index finger over the upper button would probably be just as bad as elevating the middle finger I guess... 3rd option is to switch style and use the middle fingers

#82 4 years ago

Just curious for some of you new Oktoberfest owners... what serial number do you have? Curious to how it’s selling. The Podcasters seem to think it’s not selling well.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Do not set your Oktoberfest up like this owner.

What is the correct degree on the playfield?

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Just curious for some of you new Oktoberfest owners... what serial number do you have? Curious to how it’s selling. The Podcasters seem to think it’s not selling well.

I think mine is 152,got it 4 weeks ago. You will probably never know like Houdini. There is only 1 podcaster thinking its not selling well but I dont care because its awesome and no one is complaining. I think some people are holding there breath till Oktober to see about elvira and in the mood for beer and kraut. Its not going anywhere. I was holding off because I wasnt impressed with the sound and animation back in March but its great now. Just in time for Oktoberfest!

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

What is the correct degree on the playfield?

All the feet wound up with no space. No degree or else you wont make the ramps

#86 4 years ago

Are there two versions of the backglass? I know about the one where the monkey is reaching up to try and get some sausage, where the more imaginatively minded think he's putting his hands on ladies asses... but I also thought I saw somewhere a version where the monkey is gone... I'm thinking of ordering this game, and I want the monkey version if there's an option...

#88 4 years ago

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this... it's not been an easy decision with so many great titles out there at the moment, but this game does seem to have the biggest fun/humour element, which I personslly think is very important in a pinball... re options, I think the inner side decals are standard, correct? And shaker motor, is this available as an option? Do people think the invisiglass is beneficial in a properly lit room? I.e. is it primarily for stopping reflections from poorly positioned room lighting, or is there a benefit in stopping reflections from the game display itself? One final question to all owners, if there was one thing you would change on this game, what would it be?

Dankeschön, meine damen und Herren!

#89 4 years ago

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this... it's not been an easy decision with so many great titles out there at the moment, but this game does seem to have the biggest fun/humour element, which I personslly think is very important in a pinball... re options, I think the inner side decals are standard, correct? And shaker motor, is this available as an option? Do people think the invisiglass is beneficial in a properly lit room? I.e. is it primarily for stopping reflections from poorly positioned room lighting, or is there a benefit in stopping reflections from the game display itself? One final question to all owners, if there was one thing you would change on this game, what would it be?

Topper and art-blades are included
Shaker motor, Knocker kit and magic glass are add ons, all really add to the game IMHO

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Shaker motor, Knocker kit and magic glass are add ons, all really add to the game IMHO

Thanks for this! I'm in... I just pulled the trigger!

#91 4 years ago

Great decision. You will be glad you did. I equipped mine the same way.

#92 4 years ago

When you get it send me pics
As far as I know that will be our first Oktoberfest in the Czech Republic!

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

When you get it send me pics
As far as I know that will be our first Oktoberfest in the Czech Republic!

I feel privileged to be the 'probable' first importer of this game to this country, and I'll send a pic... It will actually be here in about 3 weeks...

It was an in-stock 'stock' game, so I didn't have the option to add extras... I'm guessing I can order these as add-ons from AP?

#94 4 years ago

I'm guessing I can order these as add-ons from AP?

You can order them from the American Pinball website or I am sure your local distributor can help you out as well.
Though I would STRONGLY recommend buying magic glass from someone local, shipping a sheet of glass intercontinental is a risky and expensive task.

#95 4 years ago

Hey owners!
For all interested we're having a contest for Oktoberfest swag on our Facebook page
Go check it out!
https://www.facebook.com/americanpinball/

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Hey owners!
For all interested we're having a contest for Oktoberfest swag on our Facebook page
Go check it out!
https://www.facebook.com/americanpinball/

Check it out. You can win some cool stuff.

LTG : )

#97 4 years ago

I would recommend buying pinstadium because it acts as invisiglass and the playfield is not lit very well. That wuld be my one complaint as well. All fixed by one device and it is easier to ship than glass. Prost! This game actually captures the feel and sound of the theme more than all the other titles releasing. Except for Nightmare Castle they have all let me down one after another.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I would recommend buying pinstadium because it acts as invisiglass and the playfield is not lit very well. That wuld be my one complaint as well. All fixed by one device and it is easier to ship than glass. Prost! This game actually captures the feel and sound of the theme more than all the other titles releasing. Except for Nightmare Castle they have all let me down one after another.

I agree, pinstadiums are a must and the knocker.

#99 4 years ago

I heard my first combo call out,”Picard maneuver well done”keep up the great work

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I heard my first combo call out,”Picard maneuver well done”keep up the great work

Nah. Wait, really? Now I need to hit the left orbit followed by the barrel ramp over and over to find out if this is true

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

There are 2,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-owners-10-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.