4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
oktoberfest_release_notes.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_8800 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3852 (resized).JPG
IMG_3853 (resized).JPG
IMG_0796 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0797 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0805 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0804 (resized).jpeg
E219F1A7-33FE-44EC-BEA9-7793FFBC2135 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0733 (resized).jpeg
20240209_183019 (resized).jpg
Screenshot from 2024-02-09 17-17-36 (resized).png
View recent photos (resized).jpeg
IMG_6897 (resized).jpeg
20240120_170206 (resized).jpg

There are 2,253 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 46.
#851 3 years ago

Hey everyone. I am looking at buying this pin, but have a question. I know you can modify the call outs and stuff like that, but in regards to the artwork and video would you consider this a family friendly game? I have kids between 9 and 11.

#852 3 years ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

Hey everyone. I am looking at buying this pin, but have a question. I know you can modify the call outs and stuff like that, but in regards to the artwork and video would you consider this a family friendly game? I have kids between 9 and 11.

hi,no touble for a family game,i have a kid with 6 years old

#853 3 years ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

If you think Scared Stiff is OK for your family, this game will be fine. Inga is full of innuendos, but nothing explicit in the audio or the art that I’m aware of. Like Scared Stiff, I would guess the jokes go over the heads of younger players.

#854 3 years ago

There are a few “spicier” callouts if you disable Family Mode. But in general we had family friendliness in mind. @cheeks’ description is probably spot on.

#855 3 years ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

I haven't verbally heard anything that would really give me pause, but there are several busty/sexy women depicted in the artwork in various places. So I would personally be more worried about that, than any particular callouts. But if you checkout pictures of the pf, plastics, and backbox, then you should basically be fully informed.

#856 3 years ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

My 6 y/o loves it. very kid friendly. call outs are subtle.

#857 3 years ago

The call outs I'm not too worried about. It was the artwork and the videos. Thanks everyone for their input.

#858 3 years ago

I made this 3D Printed air ball protector for the beer barrel ramp. So far, it appears to solve two problems that come up occasionally. This prevents the ball from flying off the ramp and get stuck behind the bar, and it also slows down the ball so that it will roll down the habitrail nicely and not hit the metal channel that feeds into the beer barrel (and potentially cause the ball to bounce out).

My Okto has the new coil stop on it, so it became easier to shoot the ramp so well that the ball could fly off or travel too fast.

This is an easy mod to install, it is held in with just one screw and that seems to be enough. I want to make a few more subtle changes to it before I upload it to thingiverse, but I will let you guys know when it is up, so you could download and print it yourself.

20210309_210843 (resized).jpg20210309_210843 (resized).jpg

#859 3 years ago

One thing I would like to do is to add some theming to this air ball protector. I was thinking of adding a roller coaster train, a sausage, a pretzel, or ducks to the top of it. It would be more aesthetically pleasing than just a flat piece of plastic.

#860 3 years ago
Quoted from E_Gpinball:

I want to make a few more subtle changes to it before I upload it to thingiverse

Great idea! Might be time to get a 3D printer or beg someone to sell me one once you have the design finalized.

#861 3 years ago
Quoted from E_Gpinball:

One thing I would like to do is to add some theming to this air ball protector.

Good ideas... also a swooshing arrow or text of some saying. Cheers!

#862 3 years ago

I would like one

#863 3 years ago

Speaking of air balls... once in awhile the rail that feeds the left inlane from the VUK - the balls hops over the rail at the end instead of dropping and either goes straight in the drain or a may catch a lucky bounce and keep it in play. For those that have experienced this too does bending the top of the rail up a bit solve the problem? Ideas?

P.S. I have adjusted the coil power FWIW.

#864 3 years ago
Quoted from SLicK350:

does bending the top of the rail up bit solve the problem? Ideas?

Yes. pull up on the top ring a little. Just enough so the ball doesn't get wedged between the metal below it.

#865 3 years ago

I’d be interested in buying the plastic piece behind Otto. Anxious to see the final product.

#866 3 years ago
Quoted from E_Gpinball:

I made this 3D Printed air ball protector for the beer barrel ramp. So far, it appears to solve two problems that come up occasionally. This prevents the ball from flying off the ramp and get stuck behind the bar, and it also slows down the ball so that it will roll down the habitrail nicely and not hit the metal channel that feeds into the beer barrel (and potentially cause the ball to bounce out).
My Okto has the new coil stop on it, so it became easier to shoot the ramp so well that the ball could fly off or travel too fast.
This is an easy mod to install, it is held in with just one screw and that seems to be enough. I want to make a few more subtle changes to it before I upload it to thingiverse, but I will let you guys know when it is up, so you could download and print it yourself.
[quoted image]

I've never had this happen once on my game after 2 years of play. Even after the coil stop. Have you tried lowering the flipper setting?

#867 3 years ago
Quoted from E_Gpinball:

One thing I would like to do is to add some theming to this air ball protector. I was thinking of adding a roller coaster train, a sausage, a pretzel, or ducks to the top of it. It would be more aesthetically pleasing than just a flat piece of plastic.

Interesting idea...perhaps google images of the actual Oktoberfest in Munchen and get some ideas from the "Wies'n"...there is a ton of stuff that can be incorporated into this game...maybe event he actual marquee from the Looping coaster they have, or the Paulaner tower...more...

#868 3 years ago

Someone made a foodstand for the vux on this thread or the other one? It was ok but a great idea. I would like to see the roller coaster become more obvious to players.

#869 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Someone made a foodstand for the vux on this thread or the other one? It was ok but a great idea. I would like to see the roller coaster become more obvious to players.

So, on Elvira House of Horrors a "Gargoyle" Tunnel mod was made that fits on to the right ramp...perhaps a similar idea could be used with a 3-D printed coaster train on top...seems there is a enough space coming out of the coaster lock.

#870 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I've never had this happen once on my game after 2 years of play. Even after the coil stop. Have you tried lowering the flipper setting?

I have lowered the coil power to a level where the shot is still easy, but not overpowering and it still happened on occasion. (not very often, but often enough to motivate me to make this solution.)

Even if it doesn't fly off the ramp, I think it is still good to have it to slow the ball after the shot has been made. Slowing the ball right before the habitrail makes it go into the beer barrel easier and less likely to hit the metal walls that feed into the barrel lock. That has been my experience so far, we'll see how it holds up.

#871 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I guess I will add a roller coaster train to the top of this.

#872 3 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

Interesting idea...perhaps google images of the actual Oktoberfest in Munchen and get some ideas from the "Wies'n"...there is a ton of stuff that can be incorporated into this game...maybe event he actual marquee from the Looping coaster they have, or the Paulaner tower...more...

jrw3vpw8yimvjqjnqwkr (resized).jpgjrw3vpw8yimvjqjnqwkr (resized).jpglooping coaster (resized).jpglooping coaster (resized).jpglooping coaster 2 (resized).jpglooping coaster 2 (resized).jpg
#873 3 years ago
Quoted from E_Gpinball:

I have lowered the coil power to a level where the shot is still easy, but not overpowering and it still happened on occasion. (not very often, but often enough to motivate me to make this solution.)
Even if it doesn't fly off the ramp, I think it is still good to have it to slow the ball after the shot has been made. Slowing the ball right before the habitrail makes it go into the beer barrel easier and less likely to hit the metal walls that feed into the barrel lock. That has been my experience so far, we'll see how it holds up.

Thats crazy, whatever works. My problem for 10 months of the ball not going in was the metal plate on the yellow ramp under the barrel had 1 screw come off and it would send the ball around wacky. Couldnt see this until I cleaned the playfield one day.

#874 3 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yep, that's the one...

#875 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

It usually happens when you are able to land the ramp shot on the fly, when the ball already has a lot of speed to it.

#876 3 years ago

For those that where looking for an extra Otto head to customize, we now have unpainted (and painted) heads posted on the API webstore: https://store.american-pinball.com/products/oktoberfest-otto-head-toy0012-00?variant=39269048025186

Screenshot 2021-03-17 144231 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-03-17 144231 (resized).png
1 week later
#877 3 years ago
Quoted from E_Gpinball:

[quoted image]

This is needed. I've got my Oktoberfest on location, and I've got a particularly skilled player who's good at hitting the barrel-lock on the fly. If the ball is going fast enough, it sometimes flys off the ramp. Had a ball get trapped b/c if it. Luckily the player was able to shake it free, but it cost him a tilt.

So this is awesome. Please, let us know when it's ready, my brother has a 3D printer.

#878 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

If the ball is going fast enough, it sometimes flys off the ramp. Had a ball get trapped b/c if it.

Months ago the first time I read about this issue I thought I am so glad this never happens to me.

Then like I got jinxed or something I started having this problem all the time, and the ball was getting stuck in areas that I had to lower the glass to free it.

It is very crude (and I don't have a smart phone to make a pic), but I used clear vinyl tubing on my ramp to fix this.

I wish AP or someone would make something easy to install that looks good and encloses the entire ramp all the way to the barrel.

This is a awesome game! So many different things to try for.

#879 3 years ago

For any American Pinball owners of Houdini, Oktoberfest or Hot Wheels that have a moment, we’re looking to analyze the gameplay audits from the collective players base out there to see the frequency of how often various features are started. If you’re interested in helping, please shoot an email of the audits from your game to [email protected]

If you happen to be an IFPA ranked player, please send your player ID number as well in the email.

To copy game logs and audits (Requires: A FAT 32 formatted USB 2.0 drive):

- Open the coin door and locate the provided USB extension cable on the right-hand side of the coin door below the flipper switch.
- Insert the USB drive into the USB extension cable.
- If power is turned off, turn on.
- Wait for the completion screen on the monitor and remove the USB drive.
- Power cycle the game.

#880 3 years ago

I published my airball protector to thingiverse. You may download it from here. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4807108

This is not my final version, this is the same model that you see in the picture I posted earlier. It is perfectly functional, but I plan on working on it some more to make it look nicer and add some theming to it.

I appreciate any feedback you could provide.

#881 2 years ago

I made this video to help owners troubleshoot lock switches and show how shiny chrome pinballs can cause trough problems on games with magnets.

#882 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I made this video to help owners troubleshoot lock switches and show how shiny chrome pinballs can cause trough problems on games with magnets.

Great information, I used this and it remedied an issue that I was having on my O'Fest...these maintenance/instructional video's are a great idea from American Pinball...thank you!

2 weeks later
#883 2 years ago

Hi I love my October fest but currently it is a mess. The upper slingshot keeps going off by its self and the Otto door opens up only half way. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Charles

#884 2 years ago
Quoted from smognote:

Hi I love my October fest but currently it is a mess. The upper slingshot keeps going off by its self and the Otto door opens up only half way. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Charles

Give me a call 833-API-HELP

#885 2 years ago

#OF was on my wish list from the time I played it at Pinball Gallery in Exton, PA (Bill Disney is great). I was able to save up and get one NIB from Coin Taker (Melissa is great). Not a shill for either of those, just my great experiences with each and wanting to share and would recommend.

Having had more time on OF, I feel it is way UNDER RATED. If the theme is not something you like or can just see as a USA-style "fair" with an accent, then maybe you can't accept it, but I feel this is so loaded and fun. I am actually looking for a used one for another location it is so good. It has so many classic (1980's to 1990's) features all in one I would recommend it for anyone who can only have one machine. The code depth is good, but not too much (looking at you Stern Star Wars ;- )

If you just love pinball and are an "ok player" like we are (can't speak for tournament-type) this is for you. Not sure why I am oozing in the owners forum; you already know, but hey... I am, sorry.

For balance (?)... I had to reinstall Otto's head in the first hour as it was scraping on the sensor mount. He had some black marks on his beard too, so I deduce that, in packing the foam, he was pushed down on the shaft which also means it was not tight enough. Simple fix to remove the bar and lift Otto and tighten properly.

I also adjusted the trough ejector as I was getting random failures and two balls along with end-of-game after a ball save. I am not sure that is fixed and will look to the trough sensors if it persists.

Anyway... super fun and will (re)ask if anyone has:

1. Alternate translite sources
2. Lighting for the topper

I would like to buy another topper to work with (so as not to ruin the only one I have). I am not sure if there is a "safe" power source to tap to run LEDs for it, so if you do, please share. I am thinking a KISS-style light sequence would be nice.

Great job API. I liked Houdini, but was not good enough to enjoy its tight shots. I hope you keep producing OF and more discover what they are missing. Especially with pricing going crazy, a NIB OF is a DEAL! Buy, Buy, Buy

#886 2 years ago
Quoted from drdowns:

#OF was on my wish list from the time I played it at Pinball Gallery in Exton, PA (Bill Disney is great). I was able to save up and get one NIB from Coin Taker (Melissa is great). Not a shill for either of those, just my great experiences with each and wanting to share and would recommend.
Having had more time on OF, I feel it is way UNDER RATED. If the theme is not something you like or can just see as a USA-style "fair" with an accent, then maybe you can't accept it, but I feel this is so loaded and fun. I am actually looking for a used one for another location it is so good. It has so many classic (1980's to 1990's) features all in one I would recommend it for anyone who can only have one machine. The code depth is good, but not too much (looking at you Stern Star Wars ;- )
If you just love pinball and are an "ok player" like we are (can't speak for tournament-type) this is for you. Not sure why I am oozing in the owners forum; you already know, but hey... I am, sorry.
For balance (?)... I had to reinstall Otto's head in the first hour as it was scraping on the sensor mount. He had some black marks on his beard too, so I deduce that, in packing the foam, he was pushed down on the shaft which also means it was not tight enough. Simple fix to remove the bar and lift Otto and tighten properly.
I also adjusted the trough ejector as I was getting random failures and two balls along with end-of-game after a ball save. I am not sure that is fixed and will look to the trough sensors if it persists.
Anyway... super fun and will (re)ask if anyone has:
1. Alternate translite sources
I would like to buy another topper to work with (so as not to ruin the only one I have). I am not sure if there is a "safe" power source to tap to run LEDs for it, so if you do, please share. I am thinking a KISS-style light sequence would be nice.
Great job API. I liked Houdini, but was not good enough to enjoy its tight shots. I hope you keep producing OF and more discover what they are missing. Especially with pricing going crazy, a NIB OF is a DEAL! Buy, Buy, Buy

Couldn't agree more. Just picked up a NIB a few weeks ago and have been playing it quite a lot. Just beginning to get a handle on the rules and features. I know that there's a lot of depth to keep me going for ages. Surprisingly, I'm really enjoying the music. Who would have thought that polka / rock could work so well for pinball. Liking the non family friendly callouts too. Enough to make me smile without being too crude. My wife has even adopted a few of them. Added Pinstadiums to it and now it really stands out in the dark.

Only issue I've noticed so far is the bar door seems to be dragging a bit. Didn't see this for the first week or two but it's been more noticeable lately. I'll have to pop the hood and look for anything obvious but I've been enjoying playing it too much to take the time.

#887 2 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

My wife has even adopted a few of them.

Do tell.

Thanks for the kind words, folks... so glad that you're loving the game!

#888 2 years ago

I am enjoying mine so much I am seriously thinking of a Houdini next. That seems like another good coded game that would have longevity in my collection. Waiting to see whats next though!

#889 2 years ago
Quoted from drdowns:

Working on it.

#890 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Working on it.

An Actual Topper would be amazing for this title (so much to choose from)...but adding lights to the the existing topper would be awesome as well.

#891 2 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

An Actual Topper would be amazing for this title (so much to choose from)...but adding lights to the the existing topper would be awesome as well.

I’d be in for a real topper.

#892 2 years ago

What does ball lock compensation do?

#893 2 years ago

Lock Switch Compensation makes the game software a bit more tolerant of errant switches in the Beer Barrel and Corkscrew locks. Since these membrane switches aren’t really adjustable, and many folks may not have spares in their parts box, enabling this setting can help keep a game with a glitchy lock switch running until you can get a replacement switch installed.

#894 2 years ago

Thanks Ferret, I was more or less looking for a deeper explanation of what exactly it is doing to compensate for false/missed ball locks.

#895 2 years ago

I guess the inner workings of this function is a highly guarded secret LOL. No big deal, just curios.

So on more than one occasion, I had a failed attempt at a ball loading into the shooter lane which resulted in ending a ball I never started. Maybe this is a known bug or possibly I have something else going on that I am unaware of.

I think this is a fantastic game. I can see how people are turned off by the art though. To me I think it has grown on me (most of it). Some of the animations are crappy but some I really like. I think in the end for me I am a player, and this game checks that box for me. So I am able to look past some of the games weak points. It would be great if at some point they cleaned up the animations. One in particular off the top of my head is the guys walking around the food stand. They remind me of.....an 80's computer game. The Fud guy, he doesn't seem to fit with the style of any of the other characters etc. The game play is awesome though. I like the Steins adding to the tent modes. It just feels like a lot of thought went into it. The mag nabs are great, I love having that bit of control and I really enjoy the playfield layout. I think the top ramp is not as hard as some say. For a beginner, maybe but the average player wont have too much trouble. I usually manage to fill the barrel almost every game. The only settings change I made was setting the out lane ball save to easier, but having played the game for a few days now I could probably set it back to factory and still have a good game. I think this game is going to hang around for a while.

#896 2 years ago

Suuuuper highly guarded secret, LOL. The details are somewhat gnarly without having some background in the logic that supports lock device management... the Q&D summary is that setting changes around some timing and debounce parameters, and also adds some compensatory logic if the switches report any "unexpected" states. Most pinball code generally tends to trust whatever the switches say, but that setting tweaks the code to be a bit less trusting of the switches if they report anything weird.

Re: ball ending unexpectedly if the trough fails to eject... if you encounter this again, please capture the logs if possible and send them to myself and/or @rosh, we'll be happy to take a look at what's going on. I can't say that you're the first person to report that, but as I recall, in most cases the culprit turns out to be (wait for it) magnetized balls.

Thank you for your feedback about the game! Happy to hear it's a keeper for you.

#897 2 years ago

Thanks Ferret I will report back if I see it again. I did have a game crash today, locked up and I had no way out but to power cycle. I have since played a few games since then. (and will probably play a couple more). Sorry I know you have mentioned it before on how to capture the logs but if you can just run it by me real quick I can send something when needed. I am guessing just format a stick FAT32, slap it in there and there is a menu somewhere to select this function? Then just email you the files it captured?

#898 2 years ago

You're correct, @pinstyle, except there's not even a menu option involved... the system will copy off the logs when you insert a formatted USB stick. I'm sorry to hear that you had a lockup.... if you can send us info on what you were doing at the time, we'll try to figure it out. If it was just tonight, you should still be able to capture the logs -- we retain logs for the last 10 power-ups of the machine. Thanks!

#899 2 years ago

I copied the logs for you. Unfortunately I have no idea what I was doing at the time but I believe it was pretty early in a game. I think the game was only power cycled twice after the incident. Once to clear the lock up (a few games were played afterwards), and again to capture the logs. Where can I send these to?

#900 2 years ago

Added a cap to the ramp. Nothing special but it works great. Sorry about the sideways pic, for some reason I was unable to rotate it.

5401E106-8C54-4D9E-B969-D52FF23199FF (resized).jpeg5401E106-8C54-4D9E-B969-D52FF23199FF (resized).jpeg6808ED1F-482B-4B65-8DAD-520EDCD9E85E (resized).jpeg6808ED1F-482B-4B65-8DAD-520EDCD9E85E (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
There are 2,253 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-owners-10-/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.