IMG_0457 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0455 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 4.26.50 PM (resized).png
Pinside_forum_7355536_2 (resized).jpg
oktoberfest shooter 2 (resized).jpg
Oktoberfest Shooter (resized).jpg
IMG_9338 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
oktoberfest_release_notes.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_8800 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3852 (resized).JPG
IMG_3853 (resized).JPG
IMG_0796 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0797 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0805 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 46.
#601 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

sometimes the ball will fall off the metal rail right before the barrel entrance and get stuck. Anyone have a suggestion to fix this

Check out post#492
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-owners-10-/page/10#post-5793483

#602 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Just traded for this game and I love it!!! Just don't get the hate that some put upon AP. I noticed that if I hit the beer barrel ramp too good sometimes the ball will fall off the metal rail right before the barrel entrance and get stuck. Anyone have a suggestion to fix this or have made a mod to help guide the ball better?

Have the same issue. Waiting for a fix.

#604 3 years ago

I actually bent the metal outwards even more than in that picture and haven't had any issues with that since then. Another thing you can try is to reduce the upper flipper power slightly. Try reducing the power by one and the ball could glide on those rails a bit nicer without compromising your ability to make the ramp shot. Widening the barrel entrance slightly should do the job.

#605 3 years ago

My game rebooted when trying to start one handed play

Anyone else?

#606 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Hey, we got you new code for the third weekend of September!

I know, and thanks to everyone who made it happen!

#607 3 years ago

Nothing says Oktoberfest like Hofbrau Bier...or Spaten, Augustiner, Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr...and of course Lowenbrau...but I only had a Hofbrau sticker. Yep, it's the little things...BTW, I am still loving this game!

20200925_135744 (resized).jpg20200925_135744 (resized).jpg

#608 3 years ago

Has anyone had an issue with balls continually being shot into the shooter lane. System checks out ok. Maybe a software issue? I have the latest release but had no issues until yesterday. Thanks.

#609 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

Has anyone had an issue with balls continually being shot into the shooter lane. System checks out ok. Maybe a software issue? I have the latest release but had no issues until yesterday. Thanks.

The issue was that the ninja balls became magnetized. Put the stock ones back in and no issue.

#610 3 years ago

Oktoberfest does use its 4 magnets a lot, so balls -- especially "shiny" ones -- are prone to becoming magnetized and doing weird things in the trough. Certainly checking for magnetized balls should be one of the first things to try if you encounter any weird trough feeds or lock behaviors.

#611 3 years ago

The magnet by the upper flipper hasn't been catching the ball. It just flings the ball. Any ideas?

#612 3 years ago

I heard something pretty cool last night while playing...I made a left orbit shot and used the upper flipper to send the ball into the beer barrel...to which I heard Otto say something to the effect "WOW, the Picard Maneuver, congratulations"...that may not be exact but hearing Otto call out the Picard Maneuver made me laugh and I thought was a great play by API. In fact, when I rated Oktoberfest in the "Top 100" I actually likened the Beer Barrel ramp shot to STTNG...ironic. I am sure many of you were already aware of this callout but it was a first for me...I am still discovering many cool things with this machine.

#613 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

The magnet by the upper flipper hasn't been catching the ball. It just flings the ball. Any ideas?

When going in which direction?

Pitch of your game?

#614 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

When going in which direction?
Pitch of your game?

It seems to do it in both directions. More often when I press the Mag Nab button as apposed to auto nab. It seems like it pulses, I've had it "juggle" the ball (catch and release upward then catch again)
Pitch is at factory recomend, leg levelers all the way in. I think that makes it at 6°

#615 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

It seems to do it in both directions. More often when I press the Mag Nab button as apposed to auto nab. It seems like it pulses, I've had it "juggle" the ball (catch and release upward then catch again)
Pitch is at factory recomend, leg levelers all the way in. I think that makes it at 6°

manual magnab is a bit of timing thing, given how it grabs and then holds. If the timing is off, the ball is getting there after the grab, but during 'hold' which is a patter, and can sometimes just fling the ball or slow it down.

I'll do some testing around it to see if we can make some adjustments.

#616 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

manual magnab is a bit of timing thing, given how it grabs and then holds. If the timing is off, the ball is getting there after the grab, but during 'hold' which is a patter, and can sometimes just fling the ball or slow it down.
I'll do some testing around it to see if we can make some adjustments.

It does it way more than it used to. It's become really hard to ever catch a ball at all. A few times, the ball is coming down the orbit, I hit Mag Nab button, and it stopped the ball then flung it up the lane and caught it on the other magnet above the TAP lanes

I actually catch the ball on the magnet about 1 in 10 attempts

#617 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

It does it way more than it used to.

So, I guess the question now is, what else has changed?

#618 3 years ago

Nothing else has changed that I can think of. Maybe I just don't know how it's supposed to work. Does it come on and stay on for x seconds? Does it grab then drop to a hold power (like a flipper)? Does it pulse?
If it's a player timing issue, I've not noticed it before

#619 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

It does it way more than it used to. It's become really hard to ever catch a ball at all. A few times, the ball is coming down the orbit, I hit Mag Nab button, and it stopped the ball then flung it up the lane and caught it on the other magnet above the TAP lanes
I actually catch the ball on the magnet about 1 in 10 attempts

I'm also seeing this alot more than before the update if that helps? I'm assuming something in the code changed to protect the magnets from burning out but the pulse now flings the ball instead of the solid grab from before...

#620 3 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

I heard something pretty cool last night while playing...I made a left orbit shot and used the upper flipper to send the ball into the beer barrel...to which I heard Otto say something to the effect "WOW, the Picard Maneuver, congratulations"...that may not be exact but hearing Otto call out the Picard Maneuver made me laugh and I thought was a great play by API. In fact, when I rated Oktoberfest in the "Top 100" I actually likened the Beer Barrel ramp shot to STTNG...ironic. I am sure many of you were already aware of this callout but it was a first for me...I am still discovering many cool things with this machine.

I have had mine almost 8 months and still catch something new I haven't heard or caught. 1st time I heard Otto refer to the Picard maneuver I was so surprised a lost my ball LOL. Loved what API did paying homage to what came before.

#621 3 years ago

Keep an eye out for this rubber breaking. I took it all apart today and replaced it with 3 rubbers to beef it up. I’m not going to lie it was buried but took my time and was like a 1hr job.

155C505F-BDC3-4D59-9FE7-BBBAE6D612EA (resized).jpeg155C505F-BDC3-4D59-9FE7-BBBAE6D612EA (resized).jpeg

#622 3 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Keep an eye out for this rubber breaking. I took it all apart today and replaced it with 3 rubbers to beef it up. I’m not going to lie it was buried but took my time and was like a 1hr job.
[quoted image]

I’ve had my for 3 weeks and it was about to break. I replaced with red tital rubber. Do you have a pick on what yours looks like now? Thanks.

#623 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

I’ve had my for 3 weeks and it was about to break. I replaced with red tital rubber. Do you have a pick on what yours looks like now? Thanks.

Here you go.

93E3832F-E6C7-4E7D-9154-7AA83BAA19A3 (resized).jpeg93E3832F-E6C7-4E7D-9154-7AA83BAA19A3 (resized).jpeg
#624 3 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Here you go.
[quoted image]

Thanks. I went with red there as well.

#625 3 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

[quoted image]

What size are they? going to preemptively order some. Good catch!

#626 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I've noticed it has been flinging and juggling the ball in auto nab.

#627 3 years ago

Hmmm. I played several games a couple days ago and did not notice anything unusual with the magnets. Of course an occasional fling can happen, as well as bad timing for manual MagNabs (since it IS a skill feature) but the auto should be successful easily 90+% of the time... is this not your experience?

#628 3 years ago

Not anymore. It used to be super strong and grab and hold tight. Now it seems weak and seems to grab and release. Last night auto nab was grabbing the ball weak and flinging it up then weakly grabbing again before just losing it.
Same behavior with manual mag nab

#629 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Yet another reason I need to buy an Oktoberfest: I purchased a future mod.
[quoted image]

Curious where this came from? Would love to have one!

#630 3 years ago
#631 3 years ago

see any good spots on the game where this figure could go? Having a hard time figuring where I could put it!

#632 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

Not anymore. It used to be super strong and grab and hold tight. Now it seems weak and seems to grab and release.

And you believe this coincides with installing the latest game software? There were no changes to how we pulse the magnets in the recent code release, so that would be quite unexpected... but stranger things have happened...

#633 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

And you believe this coincides with installing the latest game software? There were no changes to how we pulse the magnets in the recent code release, so that would be quite unexpected... but stranger things have happened...

I don't know if the new code has anything to do with it. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this behavior, and how to correct it

#634 3 years ago

Hop-Pac ... are you seeing this on both player-controllable magnets, or just one of them?

#635 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I saw it on on my game after installation of 20.09.23. Only on the upper magnet. I haven't played enough times to know how frequently it happens. I hit magnab, the magnet sorta grabbed the ball, but it jerked around wildy and was flung away. I hadn't seen that behavior before the code update. Truth be told, I don't use magnab to drop a ball into the bumpers very often.

#636 3 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I saw it on on my game after installation of 20.09.23. Only on the upper magnet. I haven't played enough times to know how frequently it happens. I hit magnab, the magnet sorta grabbed the ball, but it jerked around wildy and was flung away. I hadn't seen that behavior before the code update. Truth be told, I don't use magnab to drop a ball into the bumpers very often.

Just played a few games and focused on using the upper magnet. Didn't see the problem at all. Magnab button grabbed the ball successfully 8 times, auto-grab successfully grabbed it one time. Had one fast ball zoom past the active magnet. All normal I think, same behavior as before the code update. On a side note, I'm pretty sure the upper magnet pulses just a bit when it releases the ball (to make sure the ball comes off the magnet?).

#637 3 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Just played a few games and focused on using the upper magnet. Didn't see the problem at all. Magnab button grabbed the ball successfully 8 times, auto-grab successfully grabbed it one time. Had one fast ball zoom past the active magnet. All normal I think, same behavior as before the code update. On a side note, I'm pretty sure the upper magnet pulses just a bit when it releases the ball (to make sure the ball comes off the magnet?).

we did not want it to just be a gimme on getting the TAP letter, so we give it a bit of pulse so it bounces around a bit and makes you work those flippers to get an unlit lane in the right spot.

#638 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

hop-pac ... are you seeing this on both player-controllable magnets, or just one of them?

The main issue is with the magnet by the spinner. (I use this one more often)
I'll play some games tonight and see how the top magnet behaves

#639 3 years ago

OK, please let us know. It could theoretically be something as simple as the connector for that magnet being a little wiggly and needing to be reseated. If you're bored, you could potentially try downgrading to the previous software release and see if things improve, then reinstall the latest and see if it gets worse again. I really have no idea why that would be, since as I mentioned, our belief is that we didn't change anything about how the magnets are driven... but more data about a problem is always interesting.

#640 3 years ago
Quoted from stuckey_t:

see any good spots on the game where this figure could go? Having a hard time figuring where I could put it!

I don't own an Oktoberfest yet, but I was thinking she might go well on top of the plastic over the PROST targets.

#641 3 years ago

I Had an issue with my O'Fest last night...during rollercoaster lock, when I got the third ball locked and started multi-ball only the first ball was released down the wire-form, the other two remained up in the lock. When my 1st ball drained, the other 2 still stayed up in the lock...the game remains playing as though there are still 2 remaining balls in play, I have to tune the game off to get out of the mode, when I turn it back on the balls are released...this continues this way, not a one off. Any thoughts?

#642 3 years ago

AP what brand of balls are used in Oktoberfest? I really like how these have played and need to get new ones! Thanks

#643 3 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

the game remains playing as though there are still 2 remaining balls in play, I have to tune the game off to get out of the mode, when I turn it back on the balls are released...this continues this way, not a one off. Any thoughts?

Check the lock switches in switch test. Do all three register?
Did you put super shiny balls in the game? If so change to standard.

#644 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

AP what brand of balls are used in Oktoberfest? I really like how these have played and need to get new ones! Thanks

Standard pinballs are best for games with magnets.
https://www.pinballlife.com/1-116-pinball-standard-size.html

#645 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

OK, please let us know. It could theoretically be something as simple as the connector for that magnet being a little wiggly and needing to be reseated. If you're bored, you could potentially try downgrading to the previous software release and see if things improve, then reinstall the latest and see if it gets worse again. I really have no idea why that would be, since as I mentioned, our belief is that we didn't change anything about how the magnets are driven... but more data about a problem is always interesting.

I played a few more games. The top magnet seems to be ok, it grabs the ball pretty hard (but the ball is usually moving slower across that magnet)

The side magnet still seems weak. A slower ball will get caught most of the time. A faster ball will mostly get flung from the magnet. Like a Hot Wheels car on a track, the ball never stops, it gets accelerated across the magnet

I reseated the connector and there was no change, still weak or flings the ball

When I get some extra time, I'll reinstall the last code to see if it changes

#646 3 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

I Had an issue with my O'Fest last night...during rollercoaster lock, when I got the third ball locked and started multi-ball only the first ball was released down the wire-form, the other two remained up in the lock. When my 1st ball drained, the other 2 still stayed up in the lock...the game remains playing as though there are still 2 remaining balls in play, I have to tune the game off to get out of the mode, when I turn it back on the balls are released...this continues this way, not a one off. Any thoughts?

It happened to me but the release lock was working fine, ended up being I needed to bend outwards the ball trough guide so balls would roll easier.

#647 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I played a few more games. The top magnet seems to be ok, it grabs the ball pretty hard (but the ball is usually moving slower across that magnet)
The side magnet still seems weak. A slower ball will get caught most of the time. A faster ball will mostly get flung from the magnet. Like a Hot Wheels car on a track, the ball never stops, it gets accelerated across the magnet
I reseated the connector and there was no change, still weak or flings the ball
When I get some extra time, I'll reinstall the last code to see if it changes

I’ve been having this happen with my Oktoberfest for a while, well over 6 months (I’ve had the game for over a year, so it took a while for it to start happening). So I can’t imagine it’s a code thing. It will either fling the ball all the way back up to the pop inlanes, or downwards, straight to the flippers. I always assumed it was from the magnet maybe getting a bit dirty, so every once in a while I would clean it off. Whether or not that helped is hard to say. But I guess I’ve just learned to live with it. But I know exactly what you’re describing.

#648 3 years ago

Has anyone developed some trough lighting kits. I tried the Mezel mods one that is 5 volts but I don’t think the gi on the machine is enough.

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

It happened to me but the release lock was working fine, ended up being I needed to bend outwards the ball trough guide so balls would roll easier.

Thanks for the intel...I pulled the playfield back and found the release coil loose, the screw holding the assembly had backed out. Thinking I found the fault, I put it back together and tested it and the same thing happened...had to leave for an event this weekend so couldn't do any further trouble shooting until last night...I went through all the diagnostics/tests and all worked fine...really didn't do anything other than clean the surface of rollercoaster switches (interesting switches)...now it works fine, no issue. That kind of stuff doesn't give me any repair confidence but we will see. In the AF we call it a CND, Cannot Duplicate...no body liked those, especially Maintenance Supervision/Op's.

#650 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Check the lock switches in switch test. Do all three register?
Did you put super shiny balls in the game? If so change to standard.

Copy, I checked them out and all checked fine, I did find the release coil loose...the balls are the original balls that came with the game. See my other response above to another poster...I appreciate all the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-owners-10-/page/13?hl=filimurz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.