Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by bazou
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hi all
    Looking to get my first pin
    And having played Oktoberfest a few times it’s a game in enjoyed playing and am very close to pulling the trigger
    Here is the catch
    The SWMBO is not into pinball so I want to get a machine that may spark her interest. Was also looking a monster bash SE
    She will play, I know to try to beat any score I put up LOL
    What others would you possibly recommend? It would need to be enticing and one that keeps you wanting more
    I have played many but I need to have a theme that is family friendly
    Kids love playing too

#2 3 years ago
    #4 3 years ago

IMVE? Popular family theme and people love bashing the monger.

Xmen? Stem JP?

#5 3 years ago

Willy Wonka.
    all.day.long.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from PeteUK:

Hi all
    Looking to get my first pin
    And having played Oktoberfest a few times it’s a game in enjoyed playing and am very close to pulling the trigger
    Here is the catch
    The SWMBO is not into pinball so I want to get a machine that may spark her interest. Was also looking a monster bash SE
    She will play, I know to try to beat any score I put up LOL
    What others would you possibly recommend? It would need to be enticing and one that keeps you wanting more
    I have played many but I need to have a theme that is family friendly
    Kids love playing too

Ya as much as I love okt,it beer and boobs,I think it’s one of the best unique game around but if you have the change willie is a blast and the shots are easy ,and the camera with the kids pictures would be a very good choice.

#7 3 years ago

...or almost anything else theme-wise. It has mechs and cool shots, but the artwork and theme kills it.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from mikepmcs:

Willy Wonka.
    all.day.long.

I just played a Wonka LE on location again this weekend trying to force myself to like / enjoy it and failed. I can't exactly put my finger on it but I just cannot find it enjoyable to play at all. If you where going JJP WOZ would be a much, much better choice in my opinion.

#10 3 years ago

Not fixed for manufacturer
    However prob does need to be newer
    As said the kids will play anything and the main goal is to get the wife to play
    The other thought as mentioned would be monster bash SE
    Needs to be fun
    I liked Oktoberfest as it had good shots, I like the theme, if others don’t
    Prob at the top end of spend limit
    If got a stern I would have to get a premium at minimum

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from PeteUK:

Not fixed for manufacturer
    However prob does need to be newer
    As said the kids will play anything and the main goal is to get the wife to play
    The other thought as mentioned would be monster bash SE
    Needs to be fun
    I liked Oktoberfest as it had good shots, I like the theme, if others don’t
    Prob at the top end of spend limit
    If got a stern I would have to get a premium at minimum

Hot Wheels. Available for immediate shipping and a fun fun family pin. Lots of cool stuff from beginners to experts.

#12 3 years ago

My suggestion if you find one, ToM. This probably only matches some of your criteria--but it is on point with the most important one--kids and women (who are not serious players I would imagine) love it. Only game my wife and daughter would play. I didn't like it all that much and sold it--they have not played anything since.

#13 3 years ago

Scared stiff or original medieval madness, my wife’s two favorite games.

#14 3 years ago

Does not matter too much what your first game is. Just start planning for space where you will put game 2 and 3.

I do like Oktoberfest.

#15 3 years ago

My wife likes the Oktoberfest theme, but cleavage art doesn't bother her anyway. Oktoberfest also has a family friendly setting that removes the mildly raunchy puns and double entendres.

#16 3 years ago

MBrSE is a good choice with women and kids... they are drawn to the Frank toy and when it stands up and you have to bash him... they make the immediate connection with the name, same goes with Drac when he comes out of the coffin and they have to shoot him... Bashing monsters kinda hits a nerve for kids... Didn't take but one look at the MBrLE for the wife to instantly greenlight the purchase.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Didn't take but one look at the MBrLE for the wife to instantly greenlight the purchase.

It’s almost as if your wife has a hidden pent up wish to smack a Huge guy repeatedly with heavy objects..... hope all is healthy and well my tall friend lol.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

It’s almost as if your wife has a hidden pent up wish to smack a Huge guy repeatedly with heavy objects..... hope all is healthy and well my tall friend lol.

Ok, this was hilarious, I needed a good laugh, thanks @yelobird.

#19 3 years ago

If you like Oktoberfest you should buy that, it will last a lot longer. The thread has many owners who have kids that go crazy over it. It's a fun festival theme they can use their imagination.
    If you are going strictly for their enjoyment Jurassic Park, Hot Wheels or Star wars.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

If you like Oktoberfest you should buy that, it will last a lot longer. The thread has many owners who have kids that go crazy over it. It's a fun festival theme they can use their imagination.
    If you are going strictly for their enjoyment Jurassic Park, Hot Wheels or Star wars.

Mine love it. especially my 5 y/o daughter. She quotes the Quack attack and the little Weenie dogs to scared to go done the slide all the time.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

MBrSE is a good choice with women and kids... they are drawn to the Frank toy and when it stands up and you have to bash him... they make the immediate connection with the name, same goes with Drac when he comes out of the coffin and they have to shoot him... Bashing monsters kinda hits a nerve for kids... Didn't take but one look at the MBrLE for the wife to instantly greenlight the purchase.

MB gets old quick in home for the actual pinball players though, especially if it's your only game. OKT would have much better staying power from that standpoint, just have to make sure it's not too difficult for the non-players.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

MB gets old quick in home for the actual pinball players though, especially if it's your only game. OKT would have much better staying power from that standpoint, just have to make sure it's not too difficult for the non-players.

OP needs to follow this advice. You’ll soon learn in this hobby that the games aren’t for your wife or kids. Get a game with last ability that can keep you coming back. OKT or HW seem like great picks from American pinball to fit the bill.

If you want a stern, then maybe Deadpool or Jurassic Park.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

OP needs to follow this advice. You’ll soon learn in this hobby that the games aren’t for your wife or kids. Get a game with last ability that can keep you coming back. OKT or HW seem like great picks from American pinball to fit the bill.
    If you want a stern, then maybe Deadpool or Jurassic Park.

I second the vote for Hot Wheels. Fast, fun, simple enough for the average player yet deep enough to keep it interesting. Best game from API in my opinion especially for the price.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

You’ll soon learn in this hobby that the games aren’t for your wife or kids.

+1. Sorry!

#25 3 years ago

Wizard of Oz. A beauty to look at and an iconic license. Lots of stuff to interact with and has a deep code (maybe too deep for some).

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I'd say. I played it today and kt always gets old after 2 games. Most beautiful and appealing theme game made but the linear rules and call out kill me.

#27 3 years ago

I have OKT, GOTG, and now TMNT. My older son and I play OKT, but it’s really 2 different games. You have the tents and modes like juggling, fud frenzy, ring toss, chugging, etc that gives you a bunch of mini games that are interactive. Then you have trying to get multi ball via the corkscrew and keg. The keg is a very difficult shot for the average player. The corkscrew is part of a tent game but is not available for multi ball until you light Oktober and fest which are side to side shots opening you up to outlanes. So unless you can adjust that which I haven’t checked on, some of the major toys won’t get used much by kids. With that said it’s a huge payoff when u get MB during a game and there is a bunch to do in the pin either way. Call outs are entertaining as well. Build quality is awesome. As for HWs, my wife, son, and I barely finished our first game. Kinda meh to us, but others seem to like it. Our GOTG gets 2 plays to OKT, has an easier multi ball, great code update by Cleland, and accessible ramps. However, our TMNT is a huge favorite. Pick a turtle, play co op, 2v2, multi ball modes, ramps, three flippers, spinning disc, and good light shows. A bang for the buck for the pro. I am shocked how much the family and friends enjoy it. I was turned off by the theme, but now that we have one, I can’t imagine it leaving anytime soon.

#28 3 years ago

Deadpool. Trust @hollywoodbone.

1 week later
    #29 3 years ago
    Quoted from smokinhos:

I have OKT, GOTG, and now TMNT. My older son and I play OKT, but it’s really 2 different games. You have the tents and modes like juggling, fud frenzy, ring toss, chugging, etc that gives you a bunch of mini games that are interactive. Then you have trying to get multi ball via the corkscrew and keg. The keg is a very difficult shot for the average player. The corkscrew is part of a tent game but is not available for multi ball until you light Oktober and fest which are side to side shots opening you up to outlanes. So unless you can adjust that which I haven’t checked on, some of the major toys won’t get used much by kids. With that said it’s a huge payoff when u get MB during a game and there is a bunch to do in the pin either way. Call outs are entertaining as well. Build quality is awesome. As for HWs, my wife, son, and I barely finished our first game. Kinda meh to us, but others seem to like it. Our GOTG gets 2 plays to OKT, has an easier multi ball, great code update by Cleland, and accessible ramps. However, our TMNT is a huge favorite. Pick a turtle, play co op, 2v2, multi ball modes, ramps, three flippers, spinning disc, and good light shows. A bang for the buck for the pro. I am shocked how much the family and friends enjoy it. I was turned off by the theme, but now that we have one, I can’t imagine it leaving anytime soon.

I am exactly in the same situation as OP, except that I actually hesitate with TMNT. So your feedback is much appreciated!
    The toys and quality of OKT appeal me a lot, especially since I love beers and grew up next to the German border.

However I am a total newbie in the hobby and would like a pin that would be fun with friends who are not in the hobby. Co-op and 2v2 modes from TMNT sounds like the killing feature for me in that context. Even if I am a bit sad that TMNT pro has not so many toys...

But since I am so inexperienced I would be glad to have additional opinions from you wise guys!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-or?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.