(Topic ID: 238142)

Oktoberfest or Houdini

By slavin20

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Also does anyone know how many of these are being produced?

#2 5 years ago

I don't know about anyone else but the women in Oktoberfest a pretty homely. What a missed opportunity.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from slavin20:

Oktoberfest or Houdini

Yes please.

I own a Houdini and love it. I'm interested in Oktoberfest as well, but I haven't played it yet. The jury is still out for me accordingly.

Production quantities are unknown and no limits set as far as I'm aware. Have heard guess on Houdini production at around 500 so far.

#4 5 years ago

Oktoberfest would've been better with a monkey reaching up a skirt on the cab art.

#5 5 years ago

Hated Houdini personally. Everything is super tight. Animations and call outs were meh.

Oktoberfest I would LOVE if they fixed the music. The animation and art is meh but I could get over that if they fixed the music. The rest of the pin looks awesome.

I’d go Oktoberfest

#6 5 years ago

Having never played Oktoberfest and watching mininimal video I can confidently say it's the better game.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from slavin20:

Also does anyone know how many of these are being produced?

Why limit yourself to these two titles? There are way better pins available for the same price.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Why limit yourself to these two titles? There are way better pins available for the same price.

What ones are you referring to?

#9 5 years ago

Play both if you can. Get the one you like.

Shows coming up like Texas Pinball Festival and Midwest Gaming Classic will have both.

List your location so people can help you find games nearby to try.

Oh heck. Get one of each.

LTG : )

#10 5 years ago

I've had Houdini in our lineup since October & it's a phenomenal machine. Very challenging w/ an incredibly deep rule-set makes Houdini perfect for home use. Looking forward to test driving Oktoberfest, as AP certainly has my attention. Oktoberfest is still in it's inception w/ the early code, but Houdini is almost complete w/ four or so updated codes. Houdini for the win, but Oktoberfest will be another great title in a year or so. Go w/ Houdini now, then Oktoberfest w/ code progression.

#11 5 years ago

Played octoberfest at Louisville show. Had test code running, so not sure what the final version will be. Playfield was very nice, well designed and fun to play. Overall I give the play a 8.5. Never played Houdini to compare it.

#12 5 years ago

My friends, wife and I love Houdini. It is indeed challenging but with so many modes it is really entertaining. We are anxious to play Octoberfest.

#13 5 years ago

I love Houdini. I really like the Oktoberfest theme so I’m just waiting to play it first. The argument for buying an API game is that they represent a very good value for the money. Much more going on the playfield than a Stern. Unhappy with the Stern Pros and yet the Stern Premium and JJP are too expensive? Then American is an excellent choice.

#14 5 years ago

I've played Houdini. Never played Oktoberfest, but, Oktoberfest.

#15 5 years ago

Played both, i also previously owned Houdini for about a month and between the two games I would have to pick Houdini.

#16 5 years ago

question is, is anyone considering buying one for the house or is this more of a location game?

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

question is, is anyone considering buying one for the house or is this more of a location game?

Houdini is like WOZ, best for home environment.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Houdini is like WOZ, best for home environment.

but what about oktoberfest?

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Played both, i also previously owned Houdini for about a month and between the two games I would have to pick Houdini.

I'd agree with this, I bought Houdini because I really liked it from the first plunge at the Louisville show last year. I played a pre-production OKF at Pincinnati and the test game at LAX this year. I like the game quite a lot but it did not "click" with me like Houdini did. However the best bet is to play both and decide which one YOU like better, tastes vary wildly and one glance through the Houdini threads will show you how polarizing it seems to be.

6 months later
    #20 4 years ago

Any new or change of opinions after the past 6 months ?

#21 4 years ago

I like Houdini a lot. It is a keeper for me. Played Oktoberfest at Pinfest. Liked OF better than the new Sterns or JJP. Will play OF but will not buy one.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

I like Houdini a lot. It is a keeper for me. Played Oktoberfest at Pinfest. Liked OF better than the new Sterns or JJP. Will play OF but will not buy one.

Houdini also a keeper for me - I have not had enough time on an Oktoberfest to decide whether it might make its way to the house or not. I am almost a 100% lock on Sherlock Holmes though

1 week later
    #23 4 years ago

I was told that Sherlock Holmes is definitely not AP’s next game. Was told probably the next game will be in the beginning of next year, and will have ‘mass’ appeal compared to first two games.

Back to topic though, I can’t seem to enjoy Oktoberfest. I love the theme, but wish the music was more interesting and I don’t seem to hit shots on it. Houdini on the other hand has really grown on me and I’m thinking of getting one for home.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

I was told that Sherlock Holmes is definitely not AP’s next game. Was told probably the next game will be in the beginning of next year, and will have ‘mass’ appeal compared to first two games.
    Back to topic though, I can’t seem to enjoy Oktoberfest. I love the theme, but wish the music was more interesting and I don’t seem to hit shots on it. Houdini on the other hand has really grown on me and I’m thinking of getting one for home.

Quoted from callaway15:

Houdini is really really fun. It is criminally overlooked. Sad to hear SH may not be the best game. I was really looking forward to that!

#25 4 years ago

Houdini can be brutal if you're not dialed into the shots but when you get on a roll it's a masterpiece. If you're looking for open and easy with a shallow ruleset then look at Monster Bash (which I love and own). Houdini's at the other end of the spectrum; tight, deep, and has many deep paths to explore.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from konjurer:

Houdini can be brutal if you're not dialed into the shots but when you get on a roll it's a masterpiece. If you're looking for open and easy with a shallow ruleset then look at Monster Bash (which I love and own). Houdini's at the other end of the spectrum; tight, deep, and has many deep paths to explore.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Houdini is really really fun. It is criminally overlooked. Sad to hear SH may not be the best game. I was really looking forward to that!

Thanks for your comments!

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

Thanks for your comments!

I wanted to clarify - I meant to say "I'm sorry to hear Sherlock Holmes may not be the NEXT game" . Really looking forward to game 3 regardless. JJP has had a good run lately with POTC but I still think AP has the most creative modes/games out there

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

JJP has had a good run lately with POTC but I still think AP has the most creative modes/games out there

I 1000% agree with that. I will be in on any AP game as long as they keep packing the playfields and stay creative. And if JJP does another widebody with a good theme and packed...another Stern will be on the market to pick one of those up also.

#29 4 years ago

Seems like few people own or have played Oktoberfest. I got one a couple weeks ago. Love it. Probably the most loaded, feature-rich pin you can buy new today. Different type of fun than Houdini. Less serious. Good humor. Excellent use of theme. Genuinely feels like you're at an Oktoberfest. Still plenty challenging, but the shots aren't as tight as Houdini. May have broader appeal than Houdini due to that. Very impressive start by AP so far.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Seems like few people own or have played Oktoberfest. I got one a couple weeks ago. Love it. Probably the most loaded, feature-rich pin you can buy new today. Different type of fun than Houdini. Less serious. Good humor. Excellent use of theme. Genuinely feels like you're at an Oktoberfest. Still plenty challenging, but the shots aren't as tight as Houdini. May have broader appeal than Houdini due to that. Very impressive start by AP so far.

Pretty sure this is my next game, but I have to figure out what game to get rid of next... STTNG ? Ugh

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

Not sure the last time you played Oktoberfest but the music has been greatly improved with updates. Actually not sure how they could improve it now. Ompah music, what else is there? It's also a good home pin and an excuse to throw an Oktoberfest party with friends.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Not sure the last time you played Oktoberfest but the music has been greatly improved with updates. Actually not sure how they could improve it now. Ompah music, what else is there? It's also a good home pin and an excuse to throw an Oktoberfest party with friends.

Oktoberfest is the best game in my lineup. I'd love a Houdini someday, going to be my next pin.

#33 4 years ago

I can’t get into Houdini. Seems clunky with its shots. Love theme though.

Octoberfest seems more like pinball to me. Fun, lighthearted. Love the ramps.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pretty sure this is my next game, but I have to figure out what game to get rid of next... STTNG ? Ugh

Always painful making cuts. If your taste is anything like mine you wont regret it for this pin.

#35 4 years ago

I like Oktoberfest so much I sold my AC/DC prem ve to get a Houdini. I had never played Oktoberfest or Houdini before buying them, no where near me has any.

I love the fact that AP is doing one model of each game, and loading the playfield really well. And they are just so different than anything else, very creative.

I am in on AP's 3rd game no matter what it is, as long as the playfield is loaded.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-or-houdini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.