• GZ Pro 33 votes
    43%

(77 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DA358F99-0828-4597-A03C-5BC57010E501 (resized).jpeg
MS Paint skills... on point (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Considering changing up the lineup and looking at these three choices NIB, no premiums. The Prem's are too expensive and are going to take forever to acquire. "Well if you're considering OKT, you can just save up and get a Prem". No. Reread the 2nd sentence. OKT is (really) pushing the budget, but is still less than a Stern Prem, is readily available, and is loaded.

- For those that own OKT, how is the code now and is the membrane switch thing all fixed? Do you get tired of the game?

- For those that own JP Pro, I'd be selling TMNT Pro because we play it the least. My son says some of the shots are too tight/bricky, and I can see where he's coming from. Do you think JP Pro is more of the same (upper loop, right orbit, amber shot)?

- For those that own GZ Pro, do you have buyer's remorse not going Prem on this one (even though I can't swing or even get a Prem, it does have a lot less mechs which is something you'll notice when playing)? I usually go Pro on most titles, and don't regret it at all. Regrets on GZ Pro? Have you got through the honeymoon phase yet or is it still arguably the best KME pin to date?

MS Paint skills... on point (resized).jpgMS Paint skills... on point (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

I don't like OKT

The other 2 are great. I get to play both pro and pre versions of both regularly and would not miss any of the pre features.

JP is a harder game than GZ. If you're not a good player, you won't see much of JP which might be frustrating. I think GZ might be the way to go.

#3 2 years ago

People may give you opinions, and I've played all three myself, but the only way to truly answer your questions and help you get what you want is to play the games themselves first.

There's quite a few places you can go to play JP & GZ. For Oktoberfest you'll need to drive to Pastime Pinball in Manchester (Vermont) to try it out. Long drive but they have 60 games there so you can make a day of it. They also have GZ.

The worst thing you can do is ask for opinions, get them, and still make the wrong choice. That's happened to me before.

gl!

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

People may give you opinions, and I've played all three myself, but the only way to truly answer your questions and help you get what you want is to play the games themselves first.
There's quite a few places you can go to play JP & GZ. For Oktoberfest you'll need to drive to Pasttime Pinball in Manchester (Vermont) to try it out. Long drive but they have 60 games there so you can make a day of it. They also have GZ.
The worst thing you can do is ask for opinions, get them, and still make the wrong choice. That's happened to me before.
gl!

I've had a fair amount of time on OKT, so I know it shoots real well, but code was super early at the time, and it's been a few years. I played the JP Prem up at the VT Co-op and also had time on at least 3-4 other JP Pros. I've seen some of that game but not all, and do question if people think it's as tight as TMNT can be. GZ had the Pro at Pintastic but I only got time on the Prem's... which is why GZ Pro is the biggest wildcard in the bunch to me.

#5 2 years ago

There is a setting on OKT that can be changed if the membrane is acting up, had no issues with it after that. OKT is packed and perfect for home use environment, doesn't get a fair review on location usually because flippers aren't dialed in and you can't hear the music/callouts very well.

#6 2 years ago

My vote is for Oktoberfest

#7 2 years ago

OKT is really good. Ton of different ways to play it, challenging to get multi-balls. Every game can be played differently which really keeps the game from getting stale.

#8 2 years ago

In relative terms:

GZ Pro: 8.5
JP Pro: 8.2
OKT: 6

#9 2 years ago

If I were going to get an AP game, it would definitely be Hot Wheels. I think that's by far the most fun of the bunch.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

If I were going to get an AP game, it would definitely be Hot Wheels. I think that's by far the most fun of the bunch.

HW was our 2nd choice when we got TMNT, and I really do like it. A friend ended up getting one. I try to get games that are unique to my friends' collections so our (smaller) game room doesn't feel redundant. Another friend has JP Pro, but people go nuts over that game and I can get one pretty soon, so it came into contention.

#11 2 years ago

GZ over most any modern pin, it’s that good. Owned JP also but prefer the layout of Godzilla. Shots are a bit tighter on Jurassic Park if that’s a deciding factor. Either pin is excellent and can be swapped down the road if you choose. OKT would be strictly location play for me.

#12 2 years ago

I have played all three. I think GZ is the most fun, but I have considerably less time on Oktoberfest but I love the theme.

I have a GZ premium on order knowing it would be several months before I received it (played an LE on location enough that I decided to order a premium). I came across a NIB pro and picked it up despite never playing the pro thinking I’ll just play it until my premium arrives and then trade it for another pin. GZ pro is fantastic and does not feel incomplete at all to me. You don’t get the cool toys, but it does not change the gameplay that much for me. Yes the plastics are flat, but whatever. I’m more of a premium guy, but at this point I’m still not sure what I am going to do when the premium shows up. I may sell the premium and keep the pro.

My son says he feels like it shoots easier than the premium FWIW

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I've had a fair amount of time on OKT, so I know it shoots real well, but code was super early at the time, and it's been a few years. I played the JP Prem up at the VT Co-op and also had time on at least 3-4 other JP Pros. I've seen some of that game but not all, and do question if people think it's as tight as TMNT can be. GZ had the Pro at Pintastic but I only got time on the Prem's... which is why GZ Pro is the biggest wildcard in the bunch to me.

Nice reply! Hope you enjoyed your time at the co-op.

With Oktoberfest, I love the rules, I don't love the theme, I love some of the challenging shots and how well built the game is, but I am a little disappointed with some of the layout. The left side feels too cluttered for me.

With Godzilla, I've played both the premium and the pro. The biggest difference is the spinner. The premium spinner is so wide and easily hit with the left flipper. On the pro it's a lot narrower and I found it easier to hit by backhanding the right flipper. The building doesn't make any different, and even though the premium feeds opposing flippers when it goes down a floor, I didn't find that to be missing so much on the pro. It's basically the same game, minus the right spinner.

For Jurassic Park, I like the layout of the pro better because of the raptor pit. It's less dangerous to hit, and therefore it feels like a slightly wider game. I've also had tons of work performed on the T-Rex in the premium. Wires get loose, screws fell out, etc. It's been a pain. If I had the pro, there'd be less work for basically the same game.

=================================

ANSWERS to your QUESTIONS:

Oktoberfest: I've talked to two people who own the game with the new code. They LOVE Oktoberfest. They've had it for years and will not be parting with it any time soon.

Jurassic Park: I used to own TMNT so I get what your son is saying. JP is definitely wider open and has shots with more flow than TMNT. The hardest shot is the right orbit, but everything else is nice and smooth, especially compared to TMNT.

Godzilla: I prefer the pro when it comes to gameplay, and I prefer the premium if I wanted all the bells and whistles. It's fun to see people's reaction to the building doing its thing, and I like the spinner on the premium better than the pro. However, if all I cared about was gameplay, Pro is the way to go for me.

gl!

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

My son says some of the shots are too tight/bricky, and I can see where he's coming from. Do you think JP Pro is more of the same (upper loop, right orbit, amber shot)?

Yes. JP is my favorite game of all time, but the shots are tight. Difference is JP is immensely rewarding once you find the tight shots, but if you don't reach that point, it's gonna be as frustrating as TMNT.

GZ is tons of fun. Probably number two behind JP for me, but much friendlier shots. Definitely gets my vote in this poll.

I don't have anything nice to say about the third option.

#15 2 years ago

They will be making JP & GZ pro's for a long time, if you have a chance to snag a OKT then go for it. Go into Settings > Oktoberfest > Lock Switch Compensation and turn it on to fix most membrane issues. Here's a Deadflip video of how fun this game can be, start watching at 1:53:25 after his membrane issues are fixed.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

They will be making JP & GZ pro's for a long time, if you have a chance to snag a OKT then go for it. Go into Settings > Oktoberfest > Lock Switch Compensation and turn it on to fix most membrane issues. Here's a Deadflip video of how fun this game can be, start watching at 1:53:25 after his membrane issues are fixed.

I watched that this week, from that start point. Saw the drunk "Toto" mode to save the ball in play, and then the code blowing up at the end.

Actually just got a tip about a GZ Pro in the wild, so I'm going to go check it out now.

The more I think about it and hear feedback, this is quickly becoming a GZ Pro vs. OKT battle. A friend 4min down the road has JP Pro anyways and my kiddo may get frustrated with some of the tight shots.

For those who are voting OKT, do you find the flippers are strong enough for those very tall ramps? JD in that DF video has a substantial amount of half-ramp shots that come screaming back down.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

For those who are voting OKT, do you find the flippers are strong enough for those very tall ramps? JD in that DF video has a substantial amount of half-ramp shots that come screaming back down.

You can adjust the flipper power and will make it no problem with a clean shot. You will run into flipper fade if having a long game, there are fan solutions out there but don't know if kits are made for AP games specifically.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I love the layout and theme of OKT, but have yet to play one where the flippers can make the ramps more than half the time. The upper flipper to the intended left ramp, I have yet to make that shot on any OKT, the flipper strength just was never there.

Either JP or GZ has a good chance of being bolted to your floor. The code on JP is stellar, and is already fantastic on GZ.

#19 2 years ago

Oktoberfest is special. I love it. You'd be surprised what I'd chop before Oktoberfest.

#20 2 years ago

Not sure how Oktoberfest got in this grouping. I like that game but not something I'd personally want. Barcade seems like a seasonal winner.

JP Pro - Can't go wrong with that game.

GZ Pro - I've not played a GZ pro only Premiums. Premium in my opinion is worth the extra scratch

#21 2 years ago

Never had a single issue with OKT flipper power.
Underrated game.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Premium in my opinion is worth the extra scratch

Quoted from Yoko2una:

Considering changing up the lineup and looking at these three choices NIB, no premiums. The Prem's are too expensive and are going to take forever to acquire. "Well if you're considering OKT, you can just save up and get a Prem". No. Reread the 2nd sentence.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Not sure how Oktoberfest got in this grouping.

It's available, it's a great bang for the buck and I loved shooting it when it came out. This was like at least a year before COVID and was a bit turned off by some of the animations and early state of the code. But I heard it got better. So because I can barely justify increasing the budget to OKT, it enters the discussion.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Never had a single issue with OKT flipper power.
Underrated game.

Pretty sure out of the box from AP they need to be upped in power, same with most JJP games. Why these companies don't do it at the factory boggles my mind when people go to flip them and get a bad experience from soggy flippers, give people the right impression from the start.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Pretty sure out of the box from AP they need to be upped in power, same with most JJP games. Why these companies don't do it at the factory boggles my mind when people go to flip them and get a bad experience from soggy flippers, give people the right impression from the start.

JJP has claimed all their games are perfect in the factory. Honestly.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

JJP has claimed all their games are perfect in the factory. Honestly.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

#27 2 years ago

LZ Pro. Switch the songs out for tracks from The Carpenters Christmas album. Win win.

#28 2 years ago

Oktoberfest by far. Best game ever.

#29 2 years ago

First of all, LOVE the mashup!
I have had minimal time on JP, but didn't have that one more game feel to me. Oktoberfest and Godzilla keep me coming back. Both so fun. For longevity i would lean OF! so many ways to play, but if your a Godzilla fan, this theme was done right! I would almost put them neck and neck. OF! wins as its the dream theme i NEVER thought would be made.
https://o.pinside.com/4/91/92/4919223b2ac896c2b002f8fbb87e72b2befd6009.jpg

#30 2 years ago

To me Oktoberfest is just a whole mess of fun and something fun for the whole family. My dad and I really like the theme and it's actually going to be my first NIB game.

We love the music, we love the silliness of it all, and it's just stupid fun.

Godzilla has good flow but let me tell you, I can't get quite enough of Oktoberfest, there's no set strat for that game, so every game can be different, and it's quite enjoyable, at least to my family it is.

#31 2 years ago

Oktoberfest for me

DA358F99-0828-4597-A03C-5BC57010E501 (resized).jpegDA358F99-0828-4597-A03C-5BC57010E501 (resized).jpeg

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

How do you get the Last Call mode @ 2:26:38? Do you have to start every tent?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Tampa, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Side Gig Studios

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/okt-vs-jp-pro-vs-gz-pro?hl=greenandwhite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.