(Topic ID: 20560)

Okay, I give up. I can't decide... STTNG, Tron, or X-Men...

By Frax

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Bison
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Okay, I give up. I can't decide... STTNG, Tron, or X-Men...”

• Keep STTNG. 49 votes
    46%
  • Tron Pro 31 votes
    29%
  • X-Men Pro 19 votes
    18%
  • TF LE 8 votes
    7%

(107 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tronring.gif
#1 11 years ago

This. Sucks.

All three themes are near and dear to me, STTNG and Tron probably resonate the most. As games, I really love both STTNG and Tron, but I feel like there's an empty void in my soul until I get to Portal multiball.

Tron got me back into pinball in a huge way. It was finding out that there was a Tron machine being made that got me looking for games to buy...I had no clue that pins were actually still being produced. I hadn't been in any kind of arcade for probably 10 years that wasn't in a movie theatre. I've been a Tron fanboy for years, long before there was even a whiff of a second movie.

STTNG is a childhood memory, really. I would visit family in OKC, there was a putt-putt type place called Perfect Swing, basically a FEC..... they had a STTNG tucked away in a corner upstairs and I would go rock it for hours getting replay after replay because I had mastered the cannons and locking for multiball. Good times. My STTNG was bought on a lark really, for an excellent price, and it's in GREAT condition IMO. It needs head decals, but other than that.. everything is awesome. I rebuilt both cannon harnesses, put in the full led kit (no flickering, no rom patch. CT premiums = awesome.) including LED flashers. Looks great, not completely overwhelming IMO. Repinned the GI headers and connectors. Completely replaced rubbers, star posts, lane guides, pop caps. Entire playfield was stripped, cleaned, waxed. Brand new plastics set went on with pinbits protectors, lane guides, cliffy protectors, colored post sleeves. The only thing I have NOT done to this game is replace the stupid head decals and put on pinball-inc ramps. The game plays great, and stupid fast.

X-Men, comic draw as a kid, looks like it may end up being a pretty deep game, which I like. I've never owned a game with magnets in it yet, which is a bonus, and I know my older kid would love it. I think it's awesome that they finally went to a game with custom dots and music, supporting that would be nice, and short of NOT selling my STTNG, this is the cheapest option available...

I guess frankly I would throw in a fourth option - TF LE, because they're selling for about the same price as a Tron Pro, I actually like the game, so does my wife and kid.

#2 11 years ago

Tron Pro! After this its hard to ever want an older pin again.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

This. Sucks.
All three themes are near and dear to me, STTNG and Tron probably resonate the most. As games, I really love both STTNG and Tron, but I feel like there's an empty void in my soul until I get to Portal multiball.
Tron got me back into pinball in a huge way. It was finding out that there was a Tron machine being made that got me looking for games to buy...I had no clue that pins were actually still being produced. I hadn't been in any kind of arcade for probably 10 years that wasn't in a movie theatre. I've been a Tron fanboy for years, long before there was even a whiff of a second movie.
STTNG is a childhood memory, really. I would visit family in OKC, there was a putt-putt type place called Perfect Swing, basically a FEC..... they had a STTNG tucked away in a corner upstairs and I would go rock it for hours getting replay after replay because I had mastered the cannons and locking for multiball. Good times. My STTNG was bought on a lark really, for an excellent price, and it's in GREAT condition IMO. It needs head decals, but other than that.. everything is awesome. I rebuilt both cannon harnesses, put in the full led kit (no flickering, no rom patch. CT premiums = awesome.) including LED flashers. Looks great, not completely overwhelming IMO. Repinned the GI headers and connectors. Completely replaced rubbers, star posts, lane guides, pop caps. Entire playfield was stripped, cleaned, waxed. Brand new plastics set went on with pinbits protectors, lane guides, cliffy protectors, colored post sleeves. The only thing I have NOT done to this game is replace the stupid head decals and put on pinball-inc ramps. The game plays great, and stupid fast.
X-Men, comic draw as a kid, looks like it may end up being a pretty deep game, which I like. I've never owned a game with magnets in it yet, which is a bonus, and I know my older kid would love it. I think it's awesome that they finally went to a game with custom dots and music, supporting that would be nice, and short of NOT selling my STTNG, this is the cheapest option available...
I guess frankly I would throw in a fourth option - TF LE, because they're selling for about the same price as a Tron Pro, I actually like the game, so does my wife and kid.

I love the Tron theme more than STTNG or X-Men, but I would not give up my STTNG for one. STTNG is on a totally different level than Tron or TF. Can't speak for X-Men yet as I haven't played it, but I can't see it being any different. They don't make them like STTNG anymore and the stuff they make nowadays costs 2x as much.

#4 11 years ago

I've owned two STTNG's over the years. it's a great game, but the theme is why I never keep it (plus they seem to be a fixing nightmare). Tron seems to be a hit with everyone after a year, and X-Men has the new game momentum. I personally would pick Tron (slightly over STTNG).

#5 11 years ago

If you have a Tron reasonably close it makes sense to buy one of the other titles that you don't have easy access to

#6 11 years ago

I do not think you can go wrong.

I have STTNG but would love to ad either of the other titles to my collections. funds just don't currently allow it. Maybe next month =-)

#7 11 years ago

I have spent a *lot* of time fixing STTNG, and there's still a few things for me to fix..thankfully everything I am aware of right now is MY fault, not the game breaking down...

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

If you have a Tron reasonably close it makes sense to buy one of the other titles that you don't have easy access to

Two tron pros... one is usually very poorly adjusted.... backbox light was out and I had to raise the front left leg leveler over an inch the other day... I don't even bother asking them anymore if I can do it.. I just squat down, lift it up and do it..... The other one plays pretty nice, but it's also 50 cents a game versus 20 cents.

The place with the crappier one got rid of my all time favorite, LOTR a few months ago because of maintenence issues...with stuff starting to crop up on their Tron, I wonder if it's just a matter of time. I know the guy that works on the other one through another messageboard, but no telling how long it will stay there..

#10 11 years ago

Guess

tronring.giftronring.gif

#11 11 years ago

Keep it! As mentioned, They dont make them like that anymore!

#12 11 years ago

I have had STTNG twice. It is a fun game but nowhere close to Tron.
I would have no trouble with this decision Tron all the way. You will be able to upgrade to the fiber optic ramps soon is just icing on the cake.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

I have had STTNG twice. It is a fun game but nowhere close to Tron.
I would have no trouble with this decision Tron all the way. You will be able to upgrade to the fiber optic ramps soon is just icing on the cake.

Oh, you just had to mention that... I had forgotten.

#14 11 years ago

Tron LE left, STTNG is still here. While STTNG is not as fast, crazy and multi-ball centric as Tron, I prefer the layout (other than the slings), rules, music, sounds, dots and light show, and has earnable extra balls (STTNG has probably the best EB sound/light show ever). Best bet is to have both though.

#15 11 years ago

This is another easy one, at least for me, STTNG. Its just has it all, great toys, deep rules, fast, amazing flow, cool theme, and very mod-able.

Tron never did much for me and neither did TF. X-Men I've never played but, I prefer the ST theme more.

#16 11 years ago

I guess that's kind of an internal hypocricy for me. I don't consider STTNG deep. Maybe it's because you don't have to COMPLETE all the modes to get to Final Frontier, though admittedly, rarely if ever is Final Frontier part of my scoring tactic. Frankly, super spinner is awesome.

Okay, so I think I've completely ruled out Transformers and X-Men at this point.

#17 11 years ago

My STTNG isnt going anywhere unless I ship it to Chris Hutchins. That game is awesome and I totally love it.

#18 11 years ago

Frax,

Did you install a shaker in STTNG & upgrade the sound system (FF or PB Pro)? If you haven't, do youself a favor and install these, it makes STTNG even better and you will have answered your own question.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Two tron pros... one is usually very poorly adjusted.... backbox light was out and I had to raise the front left leg leveler over an inch the other day... I don't even bother asking them anymore if I can do it.. I just squat down, lift it up and do it..... The other one plays pretty nice, but it's also 50 cents a game versus 20 cents.
The place with the crappier one got rid of my all time favorite, LOTR a few months ago because of maintenence issues...with stuff starting to crop up on their Tron, I wonder if it's just a matter of time. I know the guy that works on the other one through another messageboard, but no telling how long it will stay there..

You have a place nearby where it is 20 cents a game? Holy cow! How does that operator make money?

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

You have a place nearby where it is 20 cents a game? Holy cow! How does that operator make money?

3$ entry fee, 20 cents per game for pinball. Lots of new Sterns (Tron, AC/DC, Avatar, BDK, Spiderman, IJ4, Transformers).

They make money by doing as little maintenence as humanly possible to the games (example...backbox light was out on Tron and it had the common disc-freaking-out opto issue) and they have a METRIC CRAPTON of redemption games for kiddies. They do birthday parties and groups and crap too.

There's no shaker in my STTNG. I didn't feel the cost was warranted for the kit. I do have a subwoofer hooked up on it right now, but I'm quite happy with the speakers that are in it.... I don't think that paying out the rear for speakers to play what are really low quality sound clips is for me. I can see it on the newer pins, and have heard it specifically on a Tron LE before...the subwoofer made WAY more difference than the speakers.

Either way, I'm not spending 300-500$ on those two upgrades...too much money, not enough benefit. =\

#21 11 years ago

That is a heck of a good deal for pinball. I wish they something like that in my area. Very cool!

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That is a heck of a good deal for pinball. I wish they something like that in my area. Very cool!

Hey, I told you that you needed to come buy STTNG, didn't I?

I played Tron for about 3 hours the other night. I had a streak where I had about 6 free games in a row.....4 on scores, 2 on matches. Going in there is practically like highway robbery if you can get on a machine you like and it's semi-level.

3 weeks later
#23 11 years ago

Tron! Not even close!

#24 11 years ago

Tron..... STTNG a close second.

#25 11 years ago

RISE FROM THE GRAVE!

Thread is irrelevant now...lol..

I sold my STTNG, bought a minty HUO LOTR with the money.

#26 11 years ago

A HUO LOTR is not a bad way to go. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

#27 11 years ago

Transformers LE! Its an awesome pin! Being that the other sterns aren't the le versions and I think TF LE is a little better then STTNG

#28 11 years ago

Oww shucks
Sell the STTING and get a HUO LOTR

#29 11 years ago

Tron Pro!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/okay-i-give-up-i-cant-decide-sttng-tron-or-x-men and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.