(Topic ID: 138491)

Ok this is a dumb question, but I have to ask it.

By adam12hicks

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3838.jpg
#1 8 years ago

So I ordered one of the NVRam DMD+ chips so that I can pull the batteries from my board and not have to worry about it. It appears there are two memory controllers on my CPU board. I labeled them A and B in the picture attached. First, can someone tell me which of these I will need to replace? I believe it is A, but want to make sure before I cause any problems. Total newbie question I know.

Second total newbie question - there are some updates to the ROM firmware which I think would be beneficial (ability to bypass OPTOs when they go out, etc) so I have ordered a set of ROMs from someone who burns them. It was listed as 'Stern Pinball Roller Coaster Tycoon ROM Upgrade Set CPU 7.02 Display 7.01'

I am assuming that my labeled C and D chips are the CPU and display ROMs that I will be replacing? I feel dumb asking, but I don't want to plug anything in the wrong slots and cause problems.

Thank you!
Adam

IMG_3838.jpgIMG_3838.jpg

#2 8 years ago

(also notice my missing Q5 transistor. Hopefully that will be replaced tomorrow with great success!)

#3 8 years ago

Display rom goes on the PCB on the back of the DMD display itself.
CPU EPROM goes where you have marked "C" below the batteries.

#4 8 years ago

Ok thank you! I totally brain-farted on marking the sound chip as D. That makes perfect sense.

#5 8 years ago

As far as the NVram I beleive it goes in "A" only. That is a whitestar board right?

#6 8 years ago

wait, did you order DMD proms or NVRAM?

if it's NVRAM (so you can remove your batteries) that replaces the RAM, on that whitestar board it would be the socketed IC all the way to the right, under the batteries

the other RAM IC is for the audio section and is not battery backed up at all normally

#7 8 years ago

Please make sure to align the notches in the chips properly when putting in new chips to save yourself some headaches.

#8 8 years ago

Adam, it would have been dumb not to ask. Its better to check with someone who knows and to be sure that what your doing is right. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. Its better to take a few minutes and ask, instead of frying something.

#9 8 years ago

Thanks guys! And to answer flecom, I ordered both - an NVRAM replacement so I can pull the batteries, and updated display and CPU ROMs as the machine currently has the base / original chips and reviewing the changelog there are a number of things that will be nice to have / fix.

It's kinda funny to me that this is a 2002 board, but I feel like I'm working on an old 286 computer again as a kid. Just missing some SIPPs

#10 8 years ago

But of course this all depends on my soldering the new replacement transistor in later today, and not blowing everything up to begin with!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-this-is-a-dumb-question-but-i-have-to-ask-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.