7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CraigC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

This is getting to be a chore to wait wait wait for updated codes.
They take our money and move onto the next title before even getting your previous machine codes completed!

How about finishing the X-men code before selling your next title, I'm starting to feel that this is about time that I stop buying NIB from Stern any more.

So Avengers was nearly completed, BUT that too could do with another code polish!
How long did it take Stern to complete TF's code, more than a year is way way too long to wait!
Should I dare to mention WOF

#2 7 years ago

I believe they said it is low priority and they will try as time permits

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I believe they said it is low priority and they will try as time permits

....and several machines away from the newest...the older the game gets, the lower the priority

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

....and several machines away from the newest...the older the game gets, the lower the priority

No premiums to sell and XM Pro is old news.

XM was a bit of a fiasco - lost my shirt on XM LE and won't buy unless Lyman is the lead.

#5 7 years ago

No more Stern pins for me until they finish XM code

Total bs, this plus price hikes could be the doom for Stern

#6 7 years ago

I wouldn't be holding my breath for any type of update in the near future.

Stern just has too much on their plate and an Xmen update is not a priority.

#7 7 years ago

Yup..
PPS got my ST money for the MMr.

Next up...The Hobbit

Being my last 2 NIB pins were MetLE and Wolverines...both game missing major modes...I'm done with Stern. Way to many options out there now

My fault for not waiting...not playing that game anymore

#8 7 years ago

With the rate they churn out games, its no surprise they cant finish the code in time for release. I for one would never buy ANY unfinished product, no matter how much my desire tells me otherwise.

#9 7 years ago

I swapped my wolverine out for an acdc premium. I'm going for the complete games now....

#10 7 years ago

I like my XM
whats the code missing?

#11 7 years ago

I actually have enjoyed my X-Men with all codes and all updates. I am not such a purist were I guess I expect everything to be perfect. Stern has been hit and miss on NIB with need for code updating. Avengers and Tron code are great and people seem to be happy. I think X-Men kinda gets picked on because of need for code update upon release. It has been tagged as the game with in-complete code. Metallica code needs some buffering, but overall is a great game. I own a WOF and think it is a highly under-rated game. Many people choose not to give a title a chance because of incomplete code. WOF is very difficult, almost as hard as Iron Man. To score high or even get close to the imaginary wizard mode would be quite the accomplishment on WOF. So even with incomplete code I really enjoy playing.
Stern needs to release a specific amount of pinball machines per year in order to stay in business. Some deadlines and timelines may be unrealistic and thus code will need continuous improvement. Star Trek is a prime example. Overall the design and flow is great, but some of the animations, voices and other code issues will need to be adjusted. I am willing to buy one and enjoy it while it continues to improve. Some people prefer not to own a game until they feel the code is perfect. Perfection can differ from one person to another. I guess I have lowered expectations?

#12 7 years ago

If you wish upon a star....................... lol

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I actually have enjoyed my X-Men with all codes and all updates. I am not such a purist were I guess I expect everything to be perfect. Stern has been hit and miss on NIB with need for code updating. Avengers and Tron code are great and people seem to be happy. I think X-Men kinda gets picked on because of need for code update upon release. It has been tagged as the game with in-complete code. Metallica code needs some buffering, but overall is a great game. I own a WOF and think it is a highly under-rated game. Many people choose not to give a title a chance because of incomplete code. WOF is very difficult, almost as hard as Iron Man. To score high or even get close to the imaginary wizard mode would be quite the accomplishment on WOF. So even with incomplete code I really enjoy playing.
Stern needs to release a specific amount of pinball machines per year in order to stay in business. Some deadlines and timelines may be unrealistic and thus code will need continuous improvement. Star Trek is a prime example. Overall the design and flow is great, but some of the animations, voices and other code issues will need to be adjusted. I am willing to buy one and enjoy it while it continues to improve. Some people prefer not to own a game until they feel the code is perfect. Perfection can differ from one person to another. I guess I have lowered expectations?

Ok, Metallica is a great game but it needs more than buffering! It is way incomplete at the moment. I know this will hopefully be addressed next update though. It better be

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I like my XM
whats the code missing?

This is what I have been wondering about since the release of X-Men... I am still pretty new to the pinball hobby, as I am not sure what is expected as far as code goes. What is there missing from X-Men that doesn't make it the game everyone wants it to be? And Metallica as well for that matter.

#15 7 years ago

I like my XM
whats the code missing?

Not so much missing code but way too many errors like Cyclopse saying "you missed it" after you make the shot etc. too many sloppy things like this.

You finish a mode like Rogue and it takes 5 seconds delay before you get the complete call out this is sloppy, I play Tron and the call outs are spot on, no delays.

On XM I don't know the mode is done except that I know that I got it, the call outs are way way sloppy too slow after the shot.

I'm sure there are lots of other things that can be tightened up such as not starting completed modes or again BS things like that.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Buffpac5:

This is what I have been wondering about since the release of X-Men... I am still pretty new to the pinball hobby, as I am not sure what is expected as far as code goes. What is there missing from X-Men that doesn't make it the game everyone wants it to be? And Metallica as well for that matter.

Metallica has -

No band member modes
No Crank it up
No End of line

Once these are in the game, it could be off the charts.

#17 7 years ago

People say Stern needs to make 2 - 3 games a year to stay in buisness, but this is naive now that we have more choices.

Stern needs to produce hits or great games, they have great code such as AcDc or Tron but then they have fubar code like XM which won't sell a lot of games because of it, and so the can't re run XM over and over like if it was Tron.

To me it's better to have less games but great games and you'd have repeat customers rather than many so so games that you will sell me one but then if it's shit code I will never buy another game from you again.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Star Trek is a prime example. Overall the design and flow is great, but some of the animations, voices and other code issues will need to be adjusted. I am willing to buy one and enjoy it while it continues to improve. Some people prefer not to own a game until they feel the code is perfect. Perfection can differ from one person to another. I guess I have lowered expectations?

Star Trek needs a heck of a lot more than an "adjustment". The alpha code on it is a "rinse, lather, repeat" kind of thing someone scribbled up on the back of a napkin. Now if I was a pinball god kind of player, that would sound hollow, but I'm just an average player. Yet I saw the whole game in less than 10 plays. And if I had known about timing out modes, I could have seen it faster and scored higher. And the one that completely irritated me was that "The Captains Chair" wasn't there. Here is a basic mode of the game. Not just an unused insert, but the rules to qualify it written right there! And that is missing from the shipped code? That isn't an "adjustment". I don't think Stern should have shipped it like that. I wanted to buy one (it would have been a pro), but now I just have a bad taste in my mouth about it. That killed all the excitement I had for the game. The flow is still there. It was a fun shooter, but without the real guts of code it is hollow. So now they would have to release absolutely supreme code to get over that, and I don't think they will invest enough time to do that.

HOWEVER, that business model works for them. They are not actually trying to satisfy people like me. The ones that play before they buy and that keep games a long time. They are going for the hyped up quicker buyers.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not so much missing code but way too many errors like Cyclopse saying "you missed it" after you make the shot etc. too many sloppy things like this.
You finish a mode like Rogue and it takes 5 seconds delay before you get the complete call out this is sloppy.

Is that all? I don't have problems with that...
I hope they will finish the Metallica code soon !!!

#20 7 years ago

Start a Metalica thread too! We need to be heard

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Yup..
Next up...The Hobbit
Being my last 2 NIB pins were MetLE and Wolverines...both game missing major modes...I'm done with Stern. Way to many options out there now

Like he said ! My Met Le was my first nib and my first stern, and the last !!! I'm bored with no updates and no official news about future updates !

MMr on order, The Hobbit already paid ! Bye bye Stern ! No more sterns for me until they release finished products !

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from kosmo:

Monster_Bash said:

Yup..
Next up...The Hobbit

Like he said ! My Met Le was my first nib and my first stern, and the last !!! I'm bored with no updates and no official news about future updates !

MMr on order, The Hobbit already paid ! Bye bye Stern ! No more sterns for me until they release finished products !

Just about the same for me. I bought T/F, X-Men, and Avengers LEs NIB. Now I'm pretty much done with Stern thanks to better alternatives that we didn't have not long ago. Got RHZA and MMr on order. Companies aren't generally good at sensing the market shifts that eventually harm them greatly until it's too late. I think the sand is shifting hard and fast under Stern at the moment. Hopefully, they'll sense it and tighten things up on technology, code completion, etc. They've improved licenses in the past couple of years, so maybe they can pull these changes off too.

#23 7 years ago

Xmen is almost there. Not quite but almost. Avengers is fine. Code update be nice but definitely not needed. Transformers was finished a long time ago. They only released an update recently to address massive public complaints about mb progression. That didnt mean the code was unfinished that whole time

#24 7 years ago

Metallica feels about 60% done to me, Needs so much more to be added.
While I'm being patient with a Met code update many of my friends who enjoy playing my games quickly grew tired of it & can't understand why I would buy a half finished game.

Best thing about PPS doing remakes is that Stern will have to pull their heads out of their a$$ when it come to finished code. They need to hire some extra software guys to ensure the code is as close to "1.0" as possible upon release. I will not be buying another nib Stern until they change this.

#25 7 years ago

Maybe they have ... a new programmer started at Stern on Monday.

Quoted from conserx:

Metallica feels about 60% done to me, Needs so much more to be added.While I'm being patient with a Met code update many of my friends who enjoy playing my games quickly grew tired of it & can't understand why I would buy a half finished game.
Best thing about PPS doing remakes is that Stern will have to pull their heads out of their a$$ when it come to finished code. They need to hire some extra software guys to ensure the code is as close to "1.0" as possible upon release. I will not be buying another nib Stern until they change this.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Maybe they have ... a new programmer started at Stern on Monday.

hmmmmmm

#27 7 years ago

I hear his first job is the profanity WOF ROMs

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Buffpac5:

Look at this topic I created back a couple of months. It has many issues and even some great requests: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-bugrequest-list

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You finish a mode like Rogue and it takes 5 seconds delay before you get the complete call out this is sloppy, I play Tron and the call outs are spot on, no delays.
On XM I don't know the mode is done except that I know that I got it, the call outs are way way sloppy too slow after the shot.
I'm sure there are lots of other things that can be tightened up such as not starting completed modes or again BS things like that.

The Cyclops quote IS correct. If you hit the Cyclops spinner, the target is the Storm ramp. If you hit Storm ramp, he says "Bullseye". Hit the pop bumper or Rogue he says "That was Close". Anything further away (Wolverine, Xavier) and he says "Nooo! I missed it". If you didn't hit anything and shoot cyclops shot again, the pop bumper is the target and follows similar logic but centered around the pop bumper.

The call outs seem fine to me. I use hero stacking and even with tons of animations starting and ending, the mode totals come up quick. I use the center ring to tell when I did finish a hero and the villain lights for them.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

People say Stern needs to make 2 - 3 games a year to stay in buisness, but this is naive now that we have more choices.
Stern needs to produce hits or great games, they have great code such as AcDc or Tron but then they have fubar code like XM which won't sell a lot of games because of it, and so the can't re run XM over and over like if it was Tron.
To me it's better to have less games but great games and you'd have repeat customers rather than many so so games that you will sell me one but then if it's shit code I will never buy another game from you again.

ACDC and Tron didn't have huge followings until a few updates came out. Even more people jumped on these games as the code developed.

#31 7 years ago

Agree X-men update would be nice Although I feel bad for the Metallica crew, but I know that one is coming soon! As for X-men who knows>>>>>? anyone got info on next update

#32 7 years ago

This will be the common sentence for all stern games... Where's my finished code for.......? U add the title. Its only a list that's going to get longer and longer

#33 7 years ago

I'm told an xmen update is planned but not in the near future. All focus is on Star Trek now.

Quoted from mummite:

Agree X-men update would be nice Although I feel bad for the Metallica crew, but I know that one is coming soon! As for X-men who knows>>>>>? anyone got info on next update

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I have access To XM and MET (both pros) I'd still keep MET over XM if Stern announced there would never be another update. Xmen The only game that is more enjoyable with the volume off. I AM SSSTTOOOORRRRM!

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Xmen is almost there. Not quite but almost. Avengers is fine. Code update be nice but definitely not needed. Transformers was finished a long time ago. They only released an update recently to address massive public complaints about mb progression. That didnt mean the code was unfinished that whole time

THIS

As a pro owner and someone that has made it to every mode in the current software in one game; xmen feels complete. That said, here's a copy + paste I put down on another thread that will polish xmen up:

-hellfire club mb: once completing this mode, I would kill all flipper power, show an epic final animation then resume play with 1 ball.
-brotherhood mb: same as above
- dark Phoenix: once lit, I would make all shots on the board unlit and meaningless. Make the only shot on the board the scoop to start DP. Don't allow the player to start a hero mode or magneto. Only DP.
- final wizard mode: get a name for it. Make it so the player has to battle magneto one more time before playing; if the player defeats magneto - increase scores of the final wizard mode. If the player does not defeat magneto; make wizard mode scores default.
- add combo EB
- add combo mb (dead pool?)

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

I. I AM SSSTTOOOORRRRM!

Storm has some pretty bad call outs. But I actually love this one. Especially when the music and lighting changes and gets dark from spinner or pops.

#37 7 years ago

I love everything about the game except that Deadpool is missing. Add Deadpool and I'd consider it complete.

I know some of you have reached the wizard mode that says wizard mode or something like that (obviously a placeholder), so that should be completed too, for you immortals that can play better

#38 7 years ago

I too have jumped off the NIB LE Stern train strictly because of lack of code updates and QC (Mostly code though).

It's a shame too because I pretty much purchased every LE new in box as they were released since Tron - Metallica.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I love everything about the game except that Deadpool is missing. Add Deadpool and I'd consider it complete.
I know some of you have reached the wizard mode that says wizard mode or something like that (obviously a placeholder), so that should be completed too, for you immortals that can play better

Even though it says 'wizard mode' there are rules in place. So it is complete. But I agree, clean up the verbiage and give it a little more personality.

#40 7 years ago

I like my XM
whats the code missing?

Off the top of my head:

Wolverine stand alone mode (in settings doesn't exist in game)
Deadpool Mode (in settings doesn't exist in game)
Placeholder text for missing animations in places

It could use some tweaking, for example if you collect and X-MEN team member you shouldn't be able to start their mode again.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The code on Stern games has always had this order of operations mentality... so if you have a lot going on you can sit there while the game processes each triggered event and displays it on the DMD.

#42 7 years ago

I am sorry XM is in no way 'complete'. That is a very inaccurate description of it's current state. No extra ball at 25 combo's a few bugs still need to be fixed and Deadpool needs to be added before we even start talking about it being complete. For how much crap early owners have gone through and problems with the LE we are owed a very nice update to finish this pin off. Sooner rather than later IMO. I mean it has been long enough customers deserve at least one more update and that is long overdue. It is frustrating that Stern has time and time again neglected to provide substantial updates for newer releases and games 1 to 2 years old remain unfinished.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I too have jumped off the NIB LE Stern train strictly because of lack of code updates and QC (Mostly code though).
It's a shame too because I pretty much purchased every LE new in box as they were released since Tron - Metallica.

Code has never been released completed by any manufacturer; even the beloved BW games. But they usually get it completed in a timely manner. But speaking of stern only, here's how I see it:

-Lyman coded game: most creative, most involving code, but seems to take more time to polish and complete
-Lonnie coded game: quicker to be finished, complete, and highly polished; yet not as creative or inventive as a Lyman code

-Lyman and Lonnie together (ie IM, avatar, BBH, etc...): quick to complete, polished and inventive. Best duo to get a code complete the fastest.

-waison: he's only programmed one game and it was a complete nightmare for its first 10 mos. but in the end, while its creative and fun, it lacks polishing. Longest to program which is expected as he's new.

-new guy(forget his name); he's about to make his mark with ST. Time will tell and I understand anyone who would not buy this game for that reason. But Steve Ritchie, the king, is guiding him. And there's some faith that stern learned from the mistake of xmen. Time will see.

All in all; I just don't see code being a bad thing as long as you, the buyer, know the tendencies of the design team associated with the game. This includes designer and programmer. People bought early on MET because it was Lyman. Now they complain? But they gotta know his code tendencies; it takes longer but in the end he gets it to be the best the game can be!

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I am sorry XM is in no way 'complete'. That is a very inaccurate description of it's current state. No extra ball at 25 combo's a few bugs still need to be fixed and Deadpool needs to be added before we even start talking about it being complete. For how much crap early owners have gone through and problems with the LE we are owed a very nice update to finish this pin off. Sooner rather than later IMO. I mean it has been long enough customers deserve at least one more update and that is long overdue.

Not sure if you were quoting me or not but I said it 'feels' complete. But definitely could use polishing as both you and I mentioned already. In short, I agree

#45 7 years ago

I am sorry XM is in no way 'complete'. That is a very inaccurate description of it's current state. No extra ball at 25 combo's a few bugs still need to be fixed and Deadpool needs to be added before we even start talking about it being complete. For how much crap early owners have gone through and problems with the LE we are owed a very nice update to finish this pin off. Sooner rather than later IMO. I mean it has been long enough customers deserve at least one more update and that is long overdue.

Here, here. I've owned this game since NIB pre-order, because I'm an X-Men fan. Most of the time its sat with a sheet over it because I was so disappointed. It's gotten much better, but I still feel like it's missing something. It's on the sales block early next year if no new code. Also, no more NIB Sterns for me now that I have options! Game over baby on that, like so many people on this forum.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I agree 100%, Stern has turned a blind eye on customers when it comes to code for their new pins and their quality control could be much better as well. With the aux issues on XM LE and code problems with Metallica hammer, many issues needing adjustment on Avengers. I really hope they improve on this type of thing in the future to win you and other customers back fattrain.

#47 7 years ago

I agree 100%, Stern has turned a blind eye on customers when it comes to code

Folks say that it doesn't matter, because the game is already paid for. But this XMLE buyer, and owner, has shifted his pinball fund into MMR instead of Metallica or ST, and that's pretty major. ST is a great title, but if it takes them a year to polish up this code, I'll have MMR BEFORE the code is fixed on ST, nevermind XMLE.

-Wes

#48 7 years ago

Where are my AC/DC, Avengers and Metallica Updates

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Storm has some pretty bad call outs. But I actually love this one. Especially when the music and lighting changes and gets dark from spinner or pops.

Totally agree that storm is the best character mode, especially after starting storm it feeds the left flipper. Then it does feel great to go around right orbit back to the bumpers then to left flipper cradle to cyclops and around storm to finish the mode. This way you can get right back to wolverine. I think it's the horrible voice acting. Not necessarily the callout itself. Great counterpoint. Sometimes I forget which but rogue or phoenix sounds like the same voice to me. Yes you can post catch out of storm starting but flow is fun! cradling is for competing! heh.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside