(Topic ID: 67594)

Please Stern - ACDC Summer '14 Update Request (SUR)

By BillP

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 210 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dmand.gif
78644-thats-what-she-said-gif-LfdW.jpeg
Stern-TF-Board1.jpg
image.jpg
acdc-xmas.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
image-805.jpg
TOB.jpg
There are 210 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from charliex:

I heard that the ACDC code is done and they have just been slow to release. Should be coming soon.

Wow, really? That would be awesome. The last update was in March so having another would be great considering how some game play features could be used more.

Besides Star Trek its been really quiet in general on the Stern code front.

#102 10 years ago

As an ACDC pro owner myself that has played the heck out of it, the code feels pretty darn good to me. Any further improvements are appreciated but just gravy. I'd rather have Metallica or Star Trek updates any day. Then hopefully I won't find something brilliant looking like Metallica more boring than I think it should be when I go play it on location. In a perfect world it might be be nice if they open sourced it so you could make some improvements yourself and feed them back, but like that will happen.

#103 10 years ago

I have not noticed any kind of combo or loop shot count on the lower playfield on AC/DC premium. Am I wrong? That seems like a great idea, based off of the difficulty in making several loops in a row. The only part of the game I truly think needs more/better code is the lower playfield. Many people tend to avoid the lower all together. That could change if there was a significant risk reward or combo type situation.

#104 10 years ago

I want some Transformers code. Just to make the rocking playfield have different progressives depending on which level sensor gets hit. And change up the robot modes to be a little more diverse.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I have not noticed any kind of combo or loop shot count on the lower playfield on AC/DC premium. Am I wrong? That seems like a great idea, based off of the difficulty in making several loops in a row. The only part of the game I truly think needs more/better code is the lower playfield. Many people tend to avoid the lower all together. That could change if there was a significant risk reward or combo type situation.

Agree, lower pf and more bell awards, if true and an update is on the horizon as Charlie reports, I will be very happy

#106 10 years ago

Ah, so Steve Ritchie is "someone?" Playfield inserts that do nothing are just fine? Steve himself talked about a multi ball that plays the top and bottom play fields at the same time. The cannon, probably the main toy in the game has 3 inserts that don't do anything.

Just so I understand, as long as the code is good, they can say whatever they want and make all the promises they want and never complete them?

ha, "I'll repeat", repeat all you want. The game isn't finished, not by Steve's standards, not by Lymans, not by the players.

Nobody is saying the game isn't great as it is. I think everyone is happy with the code, it's just not done, figure out the differance.

Quoted from markmon:

Irrelevant. They've gone way beyond and given great features like VIP pass that were never promised. That more than makes up for features that may or may not have been fun being implemented because someone suggested it early on. I'll repeat. Anyone that isn't happy with acdc code cannot be pleased no matter what. Talk about crying wolf. Geez.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Ah, so Steve Ritchie is "someone?" Playfield inserts that do nothing are just fine? Steve himself talked about a multi ball that plays the top and bottom play fields at the same time. The cannon, probably the main toy in the game has 3 inserts that don't do anything.
Just so I understand, as long as the code is good, they can say whatever they want and make all the promises they want and never complete them?
ha, "I'll repeat", repeat all you want. The game isn't finished, not by Steve's standards, not by Lymans, not by the players.
Nobody is saying the game isn't great as it is. I think everyone is happy with the code, it's just not done, figure out the differance.

The layout by Steve Ritchie on acdc is boring and average. Its his most unimaginative layout ever. Pops in the middle, targets all over. Pure fan layout. Super horribly ugly artwork. Lower playfield isn't very fun. I am a huge Steve Ritchie nut. Love his work. But acdc layout is not great. It shoots smooth and polished, but there's not much exciting in the layout.

Everything that makes acdc good is done by Lyman. The only redeeming quality in the game is the code. Its all in the code. And the code is fantastic. Its quite possible that Lyman discarded a lot of Steve's plans as "not fun" and went his own way. And who can argue? The code is a masterpiece. So yes, it's nuts whining about acdc code updates. It feels totally disrespectful to the code team in this one that did such a good job with the code.

#108 10 years ago

We pretty much completely agree. I do think it's harder than you think to just make a "fan" layout game, very small tweaks here and there can have a large impact. But you're right, it's a standard fan layout.

And you're right, the lower play field isn't very fun, but it can be. Code can take the mini to the next level.

Lyman, Steve, Gary, they don't sit here on Pinside and worry about what people are saying. AC/DC and it's sales numbers speak for themselves about how people appreciate the game. They don't take it personally when people talk about how they want all the features to work.

When Lyman himself is telling people it's not done, and different versions of code are showing up at pinball shows, and it's been 8 months since the last public release, can you really blame people for starting to wonder where the code update is?

All I want, is all the features to work and some improvements that the team has admitted the game needs implemented.

Quoted from markmon:

The layout by Steve Ritchie on acdc is boring and average. Its his most unimaginative layout ever. Pops in the middle, targets all over. Pure fan layout. Super horribly ugly artwork. Lower playfield isn't very fun. I am a huge Steve Ritchie nut. Love his work. But acdc layout is not great. It shoots smooth and polished, but there's not much exciting in the layout.

Everything that makes acdc good is done by Lyman. The only redeeming quality in the game is the code. Its all in the code. And the code is fantastic. Its quite possible that Lyman discarded a lot of Steve's plans as "not fun" and went his own way. And who can argue? The code is a masterpiece. So yes, it's nuts whining about acdc code updates. It feels totally disrespectful to the code team in this one that did such a good job with the code.

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Time for a power pack gift for under my Christmas tree. I'll go with acdc first, followed by Tron

Dear Santa,

see above

#110 10 years ago

for the cannon inserts. Just have it keep track of how many times you spell fire. That's what they should have been for anyway, so you know when that 3rd one is coming

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Irrelevant. They've gone way beyond and given great features like VIP pass that were never promised. That more than makes up for features that may or may not have been fun being implemented because someone suggested it early on. I'll repeat. Anyone that isn't happy with acdc code cannot be pleased no matter what. Talk about crying wolf. Geez.

Yes but the issue I have is that there is new ACDC code that they use in tournaments. its a real minor update, but why not give it to us?

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Yes but the issue I have is that there is new ACDC code that they use in tournaments. its a real minor update, but why not give it to us

From what I heard, the new code used at PAPA had some bugs.

Yes, AC/DC code is awesome - probably one of Stern's best rule/code sets since LOTR. That being said, there is still room for improvement, and I hope we do see new code released.....eventually.

#113 10 years ago

W/ the ACDC Luci, I'm hoping or let's say expecting new code yet in 2013. Merry Christmas

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

image-805.jpg 30 KB

Ouch. That probably hurts.

2 weeks later
#115 10 years ago

Did you guys see the post on Facebook yesterday? Hint hint?

acdc-xmas.jpgacdc-xmas.jpg

#116 10 years ago

I think there is a high probability that a good chunk of Lyman's time is being devoted to the new Stern platform. That's where I would expect them to maximize their bang per Lyman buck. Everyone keeps saying that he's working feverishly to debug the hammer issue on METLE but he's dealt with similar mechanisms dozens of times before. If it were a simple patch it would have shipped by now.

MET update coming reasonably soon? Probably. AC/DC on the other hand strikes me as unlikely.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

Did you guys see the post on Facebook yesterday? Hint hint?

acdc-xmas.jpg 105 KB

I love that song.

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

MET update coming reasonably soon? Probably. AC/DC on the other hand strikes me as unlikely.

If new AC/DC code is released before Metallica, Pinside will hit DEFCON 1.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

If new AC/DC code is released before Metallica, Pinside will hit DEFCON 1.

That is very funny.
And sadly, true.

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Lower playfield isn't very fun.

It's an Italian bottom. Although technically Steve is Italian, he didn't invent the Italian bottom.

Quoted from markmon:

Its quite possible that Lyman discarded a lot of Steve's plans as "not fun" and went his own way.

That's ridiculous. Next time you see Lyman, ask him who came up with the idea for the jukebox. It's a kinda important part of the rules. Steve's idea. HTH

#121 10 years ago

ACDC is boring layout? blah can't disagree more. I love it. Fast, dangerous targets, risk/reward (bell), kick a$$ music, nothing more satisfying than linking a bunch of ramp shots together..its the only time I don't get heckled
Next to LOTR its my favorite Stern ever. I really hope they release an update thats just icing on the cake.

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Smells like pure fabrication to me.

Quoted from PW79:

image-805.jpg 30 KB

Wow... I guess that crow was hard to swallow

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I tried to "thumbs down" my own post, but it wouldn't let me
If a software update in fact ships with the Luci version, I will gladly eat that crow and have a second helping for good measure.

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

And who can argue? The code is a masterpiece.

Which along with the music makes it fun and a blast to play, what more do you want?

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I tried to "thumbs down" my own post, but it wouldn't let me
If a software update in fact ships with the Luci version, I will gladly eat that crow and have a second helping for good measure.

I found the updated versions suprising as well.

On the software.. I'm happy with what they have. Of course there could always be more.. the only thing that really stands out looking at the game is the horn inserts and the cannon modes IMHO. A upper/lower multiball would be fun.. but would it be more than a bash mode? Dunno. That said... Powerball mania is fun and it could be a lot like that!

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I found the updated versions suprising as well.
On the software.. I'm happy with what they have. Of course there could always be more.. the only thing that really stands out looking at the game is the horn inserts and the cannon modes IMHO. A upper/lower multiball would be fun.. but would it be more than a bash mode? Dunno. That said... Powerball mania is fun and it could be a lot like that!

Both left and right flipper switches are 2 stage, so you can hold balls on the main PF and still use the flippers on the lower if you are skilled at using staged flippers. I know Bowen always complains about not having mastered that skill.

#127 10 years ago

Something I would put on a wishlist is having a mode where you are required to lock balls at the bell, juke and cannon. Kind of like how you have to lock balls in 3 places in T2 or on TSPP Alien Invasion.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

what more do you want

New shoes !

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm confused

New code is good

It's not here however

Hopefully it will be someday though

Luci was a surprise but does it ship with Jedi code?

Hope so but Im not betting money

Is it crow is it's something I want to happen lol?

#130 10 years ago

To those having issues with the Devil Horns, they do give you small points right now, and the horns insert on the bell lights for a larger jackpot when you have three multi-ball modes running at the same time. So technically the horns indeed do something right now. Perhaps they can make them a bigger part of the game though, either in the form of a special mode, or an added Jackpot on the cannon (like the Combo, Loops, and Target jackpots)?

Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Something I would put on a wishlist is having a mode where you are required to lock balls at the bell, juke and cannon. Kind of like how you have to lock balls in 3 places in T2 or on TSPP Alien Invasion.

This is actually a great idea and would mix up the flow of the game quite a bit. Someone else previously mentioned a boring playfield layout. I personally don't think it's boring, per-se, but when you are going through the songs to reach Encore, the game can get repetitive. You are essentially lighting the same five shots over and over again to progress through your songs, and having a multi-ball mode that requires locking would definitely help to mix things up.

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from Mantra:

ACDC is boring layout? blah can't disagree more. I love it. Fast, dangerous targets, risk/reward (bell), kick a$$ music, nothing more satisfying than linking a bunch of ramp shots together..its the only time I don't get heckled
Next to LOTR its my favorite Stern ever. I really hope they release an update thats just icing on the cake.

I feel the same way. LOTR is my fav stern, and Ac/dc is my second. But both games have boring cookie cutter fan layouts. if it wasn't for the rulesets, both games would blow ass.

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

It's an Italian bottom. Although technically Steve is Italian, he didn't invent the Italian bottom.

That's ridiculous. Next time you see Lyman, ask him who came up with the idea for the jukebox. It's a kinda important part of the rules. Steve's idea. HTH

Its not ridiculous. And its obvious who came up with what:
- If there's an insert or physical device for it, Steve came up with it
- if there's not, likely Lyman came up with it.

Rather then implementing some insert mode, we got VIP pass. Definitely a Lyman invention. Fits his style perfectly. And the way VIP pass is integrated enhances the fun factor by a large margin. In fact, I'd consider it the turning point in the game.

Quoted from iceman44:Which along with the music makes it fun and a blast to play, what more do you want?

The music sucks. I'm not an acdc fan. I replaced the entire sound track.

Quoted from jalpert:

When Lyman himself is telling people it's not done, and different versions of code are showing up at pinball shows, and it's been 8 months since the last public release, can you really blame people for starting to wonder where the code update is?
All I want, is all the features to work and some improvements that the team has admitted the game needs implemented.

But a topic of "ok stern, where's our acdc update" doesn't quite speak this sentiment. Its uncalled for, and frankly there are better things to be complaining about. The acdc code is not a "problem". The topic title makes it sound like it is. As it stands, it would be nice if acdc got updated. But no one is entitled or owed an update for this well coded game.

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I'm confused

You called out his leak about new editions of the game as fantasy. We all know you weren't questioning the 'simultaneous release' point of of his post with your Wayne's World gif

#134 10 years ago

I want to see a Tranformers update more than anything. AC/DC is fine as is right now.

#135 10 years ago

Fark acdc, that plank has had enough updtaes.
Fix X-men!!

#136 10 years ago

Xmen, pfffffft that game is great, now that I don't own it.

1 week later
#137 10 years ago

I would love to see more use of the magnet. It is a very underwhelming feature as it stands now.

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I want to see a Tranformers update more than anything. AC/DC is fine as is right now.

I have a blast with xformers as is. Yes the right pf is useless, but I just only use it to progress towards the next mode.

#139 10 years ago

I'd like to see the bell be more involved and to have the lower PF going with the upper PF on some modes.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I have a blast with xformers as is. Yes the right pf is useless, but I just only use it to progress towards the next mode.

Agreed. Transformers does not need an update.

1 month later
#141 10 years ago

Wow that would be awesome. Add that and some different type of cannon shots and I'd be in pinball heaven.

2 weeks later
#142 10 years ago

So AC/DC are entering studios in may, what do you think.
Is the final update going to be released when the new Album hit the stores, the tour starts or soon ?

#143 10 years ago

That would be an awesome mode. Plus you could have it, that when you lock the 3rd ball in, you play the mini playfield to determine what your jackpots are worth. Maybe have it so the mini increases it 1 million per hit. Light the grid fully at first. If you make all 5 shots, then each shot only lights one at a time, adding a million to your jackpot each time. So everytime you do that multiball, you could have 1 million jackpots one game, or 20 million on another, depending on how well you did on the mini.

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

That would be an awesome mode. Plus you could have it, that when you lock the 3rd ball in, you play the mini playfield to determine what your jackpots are worth. Maybe have it so the mini increases it 1 million per hit. Light the grid fully at first. If you make all 5 shots, then each shot only lights one at a time, adding a million to your jackpot each time. So everytime you do that multiball, you could have 1 million jackpots one game, or 20 million on another, depending on how well you did on the mini.

Great ideas. I hope we get another update for ACDC. Its been nearly a year since we received an update...

#145 10 years ago

I would also say a good way to start this multiball, would be after you completed all 3 multiballs. Similar to destroy the ring on LOTR, after you start all 3 multiballs. Then you lock it in the bell to start the lock sequence. Shoot the jukebox for the next, and cannon ramp for the 3rd piece. Play your jackpot mini, fire the cannon (hit your target to collect your first jackpot) and start the multiball.

#146 10 years ago

Maybe it's because I don't own an AC/DC but I don't see the need for updated code... especially after seeing several playoffs in PAPA on video with AC/DC.... didn't seem like the game was broken at all... it seemed like a fun game. Maybe fun enough to try and find room for a Luci somewhere in my ever shrinking basement.

They also have used Metallica in several broadcasts for PAPA... and it seems like the game works just fine.

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Maybe it's because I don't own an AC/DC but I don't see the need for updated code... especially after seeing several playoffs in PAPA on video with AC/DC.... didn't seem like the game was broken at all... it seemed like a fun game. Maybe fun enough to try and find room for a Luci somewhere in my ever shrinking basement.
They also have used Metallica in several broadcasts for PAPA... and it seems like the game works just fine.

AC/DC does not need a update but it has gotten to the point that every one with a sam board feels they are owed a update every six months

#148 10 years ago

The game does work just fine.
But more is better

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

The code in the PAPA playoff videos has NOT been released to the public.

#150 10 years ago

Maybe we will be able to enter a custom message on it yet someday

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Williamsburg, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 29.95
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
$ 29.95
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 210 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-stern-where-is-our-acdc-updates/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.