(Topic ID: 67594)

Please Stern - ACDC Summer '14 Update Request (SUR)

By BillP

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 210 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

dmand.gif
78644-thats-what-she-said-gif-LfdW.jpeg
Stern-TF-Board1.jpg
image.jpg
acdc-xmas.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
image-805.jpg
TOB.jpg

There are 210 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

What's so great about superbands? Do they change gameplay that much?

Well, they are "SUPER" bands, after all.

I mean, come ON.

#52 5 years ago

The next update of ACDC code will be shipped with the "Special Editions" that are due to be made

Much like TAF had a gold series to commemorate its high sales, Stern will be looking to wring every drop out of the cash cow that is ACDC. I expect the only reason they haven't announced it yet is the controversy it will cause with the LE owners.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

The next update of ACDC code will be shipped with the "Special Editions" that are due to be made
Much like TAF had a gold series to commemorate its high sales, Stern will be looking to wring every drop out of the cash cow that is ACDC. I expect the only reason they haven't announced it yet is the controversy it will cause with the LE owners.

Speculation, or inside info? Why would waiting change the way LE owners feel about another limited run? "good thing they waited a few more weeks, or I would have been really upset!"

???

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

Are there going to be 'special editions' of ACDC ?

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Are there going to be 'special editions' of ACDC ?

Same question here.......Where is the ACDC SE "special edition" news come from?

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

Smells like pure fabrication to me.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

image-805.jpg
#58 5 years ago

somewhere in there.

maxresdefault.jpg
#59 5 years ago

What's so great about superbands? Do they change gameplay that much?

Yes, the game plays great with the new flipper super bands. The under the bell shot is made much more as well as shot control. It feels like cheating .

I am a believer .

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sure, there's massive creative potential, Lyman knows this, and he'll do it when he has time....he always does!
There's a difference between BROKEN (X-Men), DISAPPOINTMENT that can be remedied with some options (Transformers), and POTENTIAL (AC/DC). AC/DC is stellar as-is....yes, I will jump for joy when an update comes out - but it's not a deal-breaker like it has been on other titles.

Stop trying to appease me, I just want new code. Not AC/DC's fault it's a better game than most. Doesn't mean it should suffer not getting it's intended updates in a timely manner.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

Stop trying to appease me, I just want new code. Not AC/DC's fault it's a better game than most. Doesn't mean it should suffer not getting it's intended updates in a timely manner.

Code would really make many here happy. Great game but far from done or polished.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

where "are" our updates.
Signed,
Grammer Police

Grammar.

#63 5 years ago

I am afraid sooner or later this code mess will bite Stern in the ass. Their name is fast going downhill atm. Lots of people have now come to a point, that this is it. If they dont step up now, those kind of costumers are gone.

And i dont have a single clue why??? Why Stern????

Is it really a money thing? There are numerous solutions for that.

What about a team of students, not sure how its called in english, but in Holland we name them ''stagaires'', that are students who work part time with a company, to help their study, getting experience. Most of the time they dont get payed, sometimes a gift after the project has finished succesfully.

Why does Stern not go for that? Just start a student project. 5 or 6 students, and let them start with WOF. Let them work on that pin, and let them show you what they can do. When they are done, stern can adjust it, send it back to the students table, or just aprove it. And give it to their costumers.

This has some mayor positives.

- for costumers: finaly they get updates.

- for students they have a great ''stagaire'' working place for their study

FOR STERN!!!!!

- happy costumers............. very important, dont you think?

- their own products will be better. So this will help in future sales.

- it will cost them not much to set this up, but a way better name. = more sales.

- students will learn, hey, maybe there is a real pinball code talent among them? Maybe time to get in some new talent. Maybe they have some fantastic ideas...... just for free......... (almost free)

Now....... this is one idea, not even fully worked out, but you see...... they have tons of options to clean their code mess.... But they just go on, dont respond, just bring out the next pin with unfinished code.....

WAKE UP STERN!!!!

Before its to late.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Yes, the game plays great with the new flipper super bands. The under the bell shot is made much more as well as shot control. It feels like cheating .
I am a believer .

Nice thanks for the heads up, I'll have to give them a try.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

in Holland we name them ''stagaires''

In the States they are called 'interns'. I like your idea~!

#66 5 years ago

Nice thanks for the heads up, I'll have to give them a try.

Get a friend to help install them as they are much tougher than regular rubbers to install... my poor fingers

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I am afraid sooner or later this code mess will bite Stern in the ass.

People have been saying that for many years.

But somehow Stern keeps selling pins.

#68 5 years ago

For future ACDC updates, I wouldn't expect much more than rule/scoring tweaks. And sadly, like most companies, there are likely bureaucracy hurdles to jump over before you can get software revs out the door.

The rule/scoring tweaks for Highway to Hell mode on ACDC was VERY effective in creating more variety of play in a competitive format. Gone are the days of everyone choosing HTH to start things out.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But now there is more competition in the last year.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

They used to say that about the Blackberry.....

As for the superbands that I got and put on Ac/dc, since I'm a world class professional style player it just made it way too easy so I had to take them off!

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As for the superbands that I got and put on Ac/dc, since I'm a world class professional style player it just made it way too easy so I had to take them off!

lol

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

But now there is more competition in the last year.

What competition?

The company that will be remaking a 17 year old pin? Or the other company, who also released a pin with woefully incomplete code?

I don't consider either of them to be viable competition in terms of releasing NEW pins with complete code.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The company that will be remaking a 17 year old pin?

When the pin is MM I think that's serious competition. Based on the success of this there will be more remakes coming.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

When the pin is MM I think that's serious competition. Based on the success of this there will be more remakes coming.

No doubt.

That's why I said NEW pins. MM is a remake of a 17 year old pin, so the new company making it doesn't exactly deserve credit for supplying us with complete code. The code was complete 17 years ago!

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What competition?
The company that will be remaking a 17 year old pin? Or the other company, who also released a pin with woefully incomplete code?
I don't consider either of them to be viable competition in terms of releasing NEW pins with complete code.

I see the glass half full.....sort of anyways

1. One of the most soughtafter pins of all time with finished code. Sold out 1000 in less than 24 hours and still selling.

2. Other company releasing solid code on a monthly basis. I would not say woefully incomplete. It is much farther along than MET at this point. There are more modes and more coming.

#76 5 years ago

How about Stern is so far behind and that switching to a new platform is going to kill all games on the old platform. I doubt once Borg's next game comes out that we will get any more updates on the older games. Stern owes us an update on X-men as it is promised and they completely screwed us on it.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I see the glass half full.....sort of anyways
1. One of the most soughtafter pins of all time with finished code. Sold out 1000 in less than 24 hours and still selling.
2. Other company releasing solid code on a monthly basis. I would not say woefully incomplete. It is much farther along than MET at this point. There are more modes and more coming.

Again, I just don't understand the idea of giving a company credit for releasing a pin with complete code when that pin is a remake of a pin made 17 years ago. <shrug>

I completely agree that MMr is most obviously "competition" to ALL of the other pin manufacturers, but I am just talking about new pins being made and the status of their code when the pins are released.

WOZ was definitely woefully incomplete when it was first released. Even the most ardent WOZ fanboys seemed to admit that. Yes, it has got better with the recent updates, but MET got better with the August update too.

But the point is that there are NO pin manufacturers releasing NEW pins with complete code when you open the box.

#78 5 years ago

Sort of makes you fell like the customers are the crash test dummies and in the end give the manufacturers free fault finding for many months as well as free ideas to make game play better.

I really like the idea of letting a handful of software students have a crack at tweaking the software in house. Who knows what sort of new ideas would come from it. Great opportunity to think outside the square????

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Sort of makes you fell like the customers are the crash test dummies and in the end give the manufacturers free fault finding for many months as well as free ideas to make game play better.
I really like the idea of letting a handful of software students have a crack at tweaking the software in house. Who knows what sort of new ideas would come from it. Great opportunity to think outside the square????

I read this as students twerking the software, and honestly I think I prefer that thought

#80 5 years ago

Regarding shipping pins with unfinished software, I just saw this video

If you were new to the hobby, perhaps a Star Trek fan thinking of buying the pin, you might see the guys get up to warp 9.9, realise nothing happens, hear them say "That's it?" and be totally discouraged from your purchase

Shipping unfinished code has a major impact on how the public, and especially newcomers to the hobby, perceive the game. If we want the industry to survive, we have to ensure the public never has the chance to see videos like that

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from 2000_Alum:

I read this as students twerking the software, and honestly I think I prefer that thought

Good idea, may make a good DMD animation as well.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What competition?

Its more important how you finish and JJP has been releasing code updates regularly (I think around 20 since April) for WOZ with a lot of content in it and there's still more to come. They released rule screens over 6 month ago for an extremely deep ruleset and are seeing it through which is a nice change in this industry. It seems like ACDC is the only game from Stern in recent years that many of us can say has close to, or complete, software. I just hope that some of their other titles, especially MET (sounds like an update is coming soon), get complete. I know with ACDC I held off on buying one for a while just to see how many more code updates it would get.

#83 5 years ago

Warp 9.4 was pretty cool.....

#85 5 years ago

ACDC is perfect..................No update is required!! Metallica needs an update.

#86 5 years ago

Let's get the grammar right!

Where ARE our ACDC updates?

Futher, complaints about other machines' updates need not he posted here!

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

How is AC/DC's code incomplete? I think Lyman just tweaked a scoring rule or two to balance out scoring for highly-competitive (PAPA "A") play.

Take a closer look in the feature adjustement settings ( i have listed them here : http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-feature-adjustement-settings-165

And you will see, that ther are lots of irritating settings , that don´t make really sense right now.
( or maybe they do, but i did´nt get it )

#88 5 years ago

Time for a power pack gift for under my Christmas tree. I'll go with acdc first, followed by Tron

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

Can't have too many of these. Hope someone hears the message!
This is getting to be a chore to wait wait wait for updated codes.
They take our money and move onto the next title before even getting your previous machine codes completed!
How about finishing ACDC code before selling your next title. We need the Strobe, the Bell, the lower playfield, the cannon to shoot more targets.....come on

This is stupid. Acdc has some of the best code in all pinball - including Bally/Williams era games. It's one thing to bitch about say xmen, Metallica, Star Trek. But when someone starts complaining about acdc code, it actually hurts. If I were working at stern and seeing this thread, I'd ignore it along with all the valid code fix threads. Once people are complaining about this, they're just complainers and nothing will appease them. So why try?

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

and the TAF gold code worked in the older games

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is stupid. Acdc has some of the best code in all pinball - including Bally/Williams era games. It's one thing to bitch about say xmen, Metallica, Star Trek. But when someone starts complaining about acdc code, it actually hurts. If I were working at stern and seeing this thread, I'd ignore it along with all the valid code fix threads. Once people are complaining about this, they're just complainers and nothing will appease them. So why try?

ACDC is cool in that each song as it's own shots and scoring and you get to pick them as well.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Its more important how you finish and JJP has been releasing code updates regularly (I think around 20 since April) for WOZ with a lot of content in it and there's still more to come. They released rule screens over 6 month ago for an extremely deep ruleset and are seeing it through which is a nice change in this industry. It seems like ACDC is the only game from Stern in recent years that many of us can say has close to, or complete, software. I just hope that some of their other titles, especially MET (sounds like an update is coming soon), get complete. I know with ACDC I held off on buying one for a while just to see how many more code updates it would get.

Yep, well, if we like the "code" on Lotr, Tspp and Wpt, which I do, then I feel confident that Keith/JJP will go way above and beyond..........Like my Ac/dc "code" as well!

#94 5 years ago

ACDC seems pretty darn solid to me. I bet any game could be changed or modified for possibly the better, but in this case.....why.... I dont own a Metallica or Xmen or Avengers, but those are the ones that actually need work.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This ^^^^^^^^ is true. AC/DC is in good shape. Stern should start with the oldest first, Xmen, then move up from there, Metallica, ect......

2 weeks later
#96 5 years ago

They've got to be close, right? There was new code at PAPA this summer, and at Expo a month ago.

#97 5 years ago

Promises were made around release time that aren't implemented, and there are major features and inserts that still do very little or nothing. As long as that's the case, the code isn't done IMO.

1 week later
#98 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Promises were made around release time that aren't implemented, and there are major features and inserts that still do very little or nothing. As long as that's the case, the code isn't done IMO.

Would be nice to get a code update for Christmas time. Would go a long way for Stern to sell more new games for some of us.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Irrelevant. They've gone way beyond and given great features like VIP pass that were never promised. That more than makes up for features that may or may not have been fun being implemented because someone suggested it early on. I'll repeat. Anyone that isn't happy with acdc code cannot be pleased no matter what. Talk about crying wolf. Geez.

Quoted from BillP:

Would be nice to get a code update for Christmas time. Would go a long way for Stern to sell more new games for some of us.

Actually, I don't agree. If acdc gets an update and Metallica doesn't - by the same programmer - that will piss more people off than the amount that would be happy. That will hurt, not help, future sales.

#100 5 years ago

I heard that the ACDC code is done and they have just been slow to release. Should be coming soon.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 210 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside