Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mrclean
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which manufacturer would you prefer to make yet another Star Wars ?!”

• Stern 108 votes
      40%
    • JJP 102 votes
      37%
    • Dutch Pinball 10 votes
      4%
    • Heighway Pinball 6 votes
      2%
    • Spooky Pinball 9 votes
      3%
    • Don't care who!!! just pump out another STAR WARS ! 6 votes
      2%
    • Not into Star Wars thus I couldn't care less, but good luck to you other nerds ! 26 votes
      10%
    • I already own one of the Star Wars, and unless the new one is really epic I'm totally content with my Star Wars. 6 votes
      2%

(273 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2acc44dd3491bc5d980b363446b2df41.jpg
    bazinga.jpg
    tumblr_n0ue3w4uZQ1ts4ubeo1_500.gif
    Its_a_trap_JJP.jpg
    steve_star_wars.jpg
    StarWarsOMG.pdf (PDF preview)
    Jabba_weights_himself_by_coupdegrace.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    On board the Millenium Falcon.jpg
    JPP.jpeg
    share.png
    mickey-mouse-record-player.jpg
    image0034.png
    lucas-death-star-chicago-skyline-2.jpg
    star-wars-kiss.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrclean.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I know KISS will be a huge success for Stern... will Star Wars be bigger ?star-wars-kiss.jpgstar-wars-kiss.jpg

It's going to come as no surprise that Star Wars Episode VII will generate a ton of revenue at the box office and given it's fan following and although several other Star Wars machines exist... Do you foresee another one about to drop to coincide with the release of the Force Awakens ? An October / November announcement would certainly be very timely with the movies release in December and anyone that wants a new game for the holidays. Do you think it's Ritchies next game ? Would it make more sense for Stern to make Star Wars as opposed to GOT ? Any remote possibility of Stern having Star Wars as a wide body game ?

Will xyz pinball company wait until the other episodes finish prior to making one ? Despite the fact that several other Star Wars pins exist if done right would you consider buying one ? Which pinball manufacture would you prefer to secure the license ?

What are some must have features you would want with a new Star Wars pin >?
    What are some things that haven't been implemented yet to pass along to the developers of the game ?

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd say Stern since I'd want it to come out before the NEXT trilogy starts filming in 20 years.

I absolutely agree with this statement. Given the various pinball manufactures track records, we certainly do know as Tom Petty said "The Waiting Is The Hardest Part...."

Yeah they weren't an option being they no longer (as far as I know) aren't in the pinball business, but their Star Wars Trilogy was a decent game.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

If we're not getting original themes, I wish we'd at least cool it on rehashing old themes.

While it's certainly nice to have new / original games, sometimes it's totally worth it. A perfect example is what Stern did to the Data East Simpsons.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

You should preface that with assuming Stern has an LCD to replace the DMD by the time the game is made.
    That will make a big difference in how some people will vote.

Would Star Wars be the primary choice for Stern to ditch the DMD & moving forward have the back glass / translite as a huge interactive (movie clips, scores, modes etc..) LCD/LED ? I also wonder how drastically it would effect the overall price of the machines, also could it potentially just exist on the LE's / Premiums ?

Given Star Wars popularity would Stern purposely produce a large number of LE's knowing very well they would be able to easily sell that amount. I can certainly see various models i.e. Light side of the Force & Dark Side of the Force

#13 8 years ago

according to wikipedia people overall enjoy watching Star Wars over it's franchise...

Highest-grossing films adjusted for inflation
    3 Star Wars $2,825,000,000 1977

Highest-grossing franchises and film series
    5 Star Wars $4,382,359,868

Highest-grossing films
    17 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace $1,027,044,677
    41 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith $848,754,768

High-grossing films by year of release
    1977 Star Wars $775,398,007
    ($530,000,000SW/$268,500,000R)
    1999 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace $1,027,044,677 ($924,317,558)

I have a feeling history will repeat itself come time this December when Episode VII drops.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Sorry... cant top the DE version (with signed translite)....

I think this is one of the best of the 3 Star Wars pins... The Star Wars pins that currently exist are all special in their own way. I think a new one can certainly give any of the existing 3 a run IF done right. Let me ask you though... Do you think the Data East Simpsons is superior to Sterns Simpsons Pinball Party ? Peronally I own a TSPP and in my opinion it's way better than the DE version. I just hope when xyz pinball company does release Star Wars hits a grand slam outta the park.. The theme certainly lends itself to pinball, has a huge following... etc

#16 8 years ago

I don't know I think I've seen the Death Star in the Chicago area... don't know what to make of that just yet .....
    lucas-death-star-chicago-skyline-2.jpglucas-death-star-chicago-skyline-2.jpg

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Stern....because they already have a good relationship with Disney

couldn't agree more.

Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Talking to Jersey Jack at Pinfest he said that bids for the marketing rights had been placed by Stern and JJP and it had not been awarded yet. My personal preference is that whoever does it puts an LCD screen in....

I gotta feelin' as stated in the above post due to their current existing relationship that the license will ultimately end up in Stern's hands and it will be Ritchies game.. I'm also calling a Wide Body as well as the implementation of an LED/LCD interactive backglass.

Quoted from lowepg:

I'm actually more concerned that this new trilogy doesn't SUCK like the money-grab Hobbit "trilogy" sucked.....and the disappointing 2nd SW trilogy (ie the JarJar debacle).

I happen to like all of the Hobbits, but I agree the prequils to Star Wars were mehh to say the least, not terrible but ep 4,5,6 were in a different class. I have a feeling that ep. 7's gonna rock.

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Please let it be Stern as JJP would bring a whole dynamic I don't want to deal with (like preordering and years of waiting).
    I would LOVE there to be a mode where you could play this on the "interactive back glass," which is what Stern should call it, not just an LCD. Probably requires more buttons but who cares.
    image0034.png

Yeah I don't think I'm ever pre-ordering any pinballs again anyime soon, but with a game like Star Wars I just hope they Stern / JJP etc.. are able to meet demand. Would it make sense for them to increase the LE's ? I feel like they will sell out crazy quick ! When KISS was announced I heard some people had difficulty getting the game from vendors / it was sold out. I hope that IF Star Wars gets produced they plan accordingly to fill the likely huge demand for the game... I just hope they don't rush it out for the holidays like ET on the 2600.

BTW i dig the backglass / interactive video mode ideas... Bringing the classic Vector into the pinball world neat idea... perhaps an easter egg mode.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Spooky pinball
    Not waiting five years for jjp to produce it
    Nor am I willung to wait until the second movie for stern to make it

I have a feelin' Stern will ultimately end up with the license, so I don't think you will need to worry about waiting for a game from JJP... their next title is Lawlor's original theme... Most likely Stern's after KISS will be Star Wars announcement in Oct./Nov. OR Game of Thrones... I'm banking on Star Wars. I really doubt they won't cash in now while the craze is being built up for the 7th installment.

Stern made a few pins for the most part coinciding with movies at the time such as
    Terminator 3 both came out in 2003... yet another Terminator is coming out.
    Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean (Dead man's chest) both came out in 2006... yet another POTC being made.
    Disney's (since they own Marvel) Iron Man 2, both the movie and the pin came out in 2010.. more are being made..
    Disney's Tron Legacy came out in 2010, the Pin in 2011.. another Tron movies being made.

Disney's Avengers... Movie came first... followed by the pin..

Disney's X-Men etc...

Simpsons The show was still airing, and will continue to do so apparently for a while

I think they are rather mostly timely with the movie / show / pinball releases... And as you can see great relationship with Disney... which is who currently owns the Star Wars license. It will come as no surprise to me when Stern announces this title and I assure you despite what people want or hope Stern will ultimately get the Star Wars license.

mickey-mouse-record-player.jpgmickey-mouse-record-player.jpg
    Not to sound like a broken record but Stern & Disney currently and will likely continue to have a great relationship with each other.

Quoted from RazerX:

DE/Sega/Stern failed at it twice in the 90's. B/W attempt was also a failure IMO. I'd love to have a SW pin but none of those previous attempts live up to the license. I'd rather someone else give it a shot and see if they can do better with it.

I don't think they all failed.. each are unique and decent games, I think you can certainly have improvement on the titles, I think Stern or JJP whoever actually produces the next one will certainly be a hit.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Doesn't matter. At $6k-$9k, I won't be buying one anyway.

Yeah NIB pins are certainly pricey and not for everyone.. I feel certain titles will to some degree retain or even increase their value based on supply/demand and of course the game needs to be a hit... I think Star Wars will certainly have those elements going for it. If they flood the market with them the price would likely hold / decrease but this hobby shouldn't be about investments and more about enjoying a great title. I can certainly see Star Wars LE being amazing. or SWLE.

Quoted from epotech:

Stern have the licence. Ritchie driving.

Hope no one pulls him over with his pedal to the metal ... speaking of; that they use more metal, and less plastic.

#29 8 years ago

the votes are now starting to even out between STERN / JJP .... Interesting...
    share.pngshare.png

Featuring a first ever Stern completely immersive interactive backglass... That's out of this world.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballpete:

Mmmmmm... THX sound!

Quoted from benheck:

New Star Wars movies getting crammed pretty tightly together (2015, 2017, 2019)
    Maybe they'll wait to see if the new films are actually good this time, and do a trilogy in 2019.

I would be rather surprised if they (AKA Stern / JJP) doesn't capitalize on Ep VII... you really think they are gonna wait 4/5 years until making another Star Wars pin ?

#51 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Even if I did get one at that price, a NIB pin depreciates as soon as the box is opened, much like driving a new car off the lot.

NIB are crazy expensive especially the LE's . However It's not very common but some pins go up in value even after the new box smell is gone, same thing with some cars. It's been said by many people before in this hobby that it can't be looked at as a guarenteed investment. But we have leaned that even if a title is so sought after and they can reintroduce it to capitalize they will do so , and I'm totally fine with that.. The more pinball machines the better that's how I feel.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

one would think that--as in a Venn diagram--some portion of both populations would intersect and account for some rather large sales numbers.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The only reason I don't own a Star Wars pinball machine is because I don't like any of them.
    New Trilogy + Steve Ritchie + Spike System = please take my money.

The game needs to be good just because Steve Ritchie will likely be his game assuming STERNs making it / have his hands all over it doesn't automatically make it a great game. And as we all know despite what a great theme a game might have doesn't automatically make it a winner.

everyone is mentioning that IF stern makes the next Star Wars that this game will hopefully have a back glass as an interactive LED/LCD screen.... Does anyone else think it's plausible that IF Stern produces Star Wars it could be a wide body ? I think Steve Ritchie said he's working on something BIG to me that was a hint at a wide body game.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

Hopefully the days of $8k plus machines is over or limed to ACTUAL Limited Edition runs.

I agree pinballs an expensive luxury item. The prices are what they are especially with many people willing to pay. As much as I'd also like it to happen....So no I don't think the days of 8k pins are over.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If Stern released a standard and wide body Star Wars…I'd just have to purchase both.
    Reading Ritchie's Facebook page, it looks like he hinted to a game of thrones machine.
    For myself, outside of a Tron VE or Luci VE, my next NIB purchase will be Star Wars.

My friend wants Game of Thrones... Personally I've never seen the show, and yes I have HBO... Tron VE's will probably happen next year when the next TRON3 comes out. A Luci ACDC VE I say never gonna happen... Star Wars extremely likely. JJPs next game is lawlors original theme... Unless he's actually working on Star Wars !? Either way I assure you an ep. 7 / another Star Wars pinball will come out very soon.

I want Star Wars or Jaws for Stern to make a wide body.

#83 8 years ago

I don't know for sure who's acquring the license ... Is it entirely possibly they can both get it ?!?!?!?

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from monsterbaldy:

Seriously, I am pre-ordering the star wars pin even if the new movies are terrible

What would a "Ben" know about Star Wars... See what I did there !

Just based on the trailer alone and to see how they will gap 6 to 7, with the original cast even if they are just supporting roles... the new movie has lots of potential. I really doubt this one will be bad, I also feel that the people designing the new Star Wars game would put lots of pride into it... So I'm not that worried. I know Since it's right on his face book that if Steve Ritchie does contribute to the development of the game he happens to also loves the franchise. If you work on something you love doing it becomes fun, less effort and usually will yield better results across the board.

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

JJP insinuated he got the license like two weeks ago. How did everyone miss that? I forget which thread it was...

He said he was going to have something that would tip the scales... is this it.. :
    Jabba_weights_himself_by_coupdegrace.jpgJabba_weights_himself_by_coupdegrace.jpg

#102 8 years ago

maybe this is really nutty to do... but what about calling this number...

http://disneystudiolicensing.com/who-do-i-contact-to-license-content-from-lucasfilm-ltd/

Christopher Holm
    Ph: (415) 623-1938
    [email protected]

Wouldn't they tell you it's already been acquired and by who ?

#105 8 years ago

This is what currently sticks out to me on Steve Ritchie's facebook page....

steve_star_wars.jpgsteve_star_wars.jpg

#111 8 years ago
    Quoted from monsterbaldy:

My guess is we don't see a Star Wars pin until 2016 holiday. I don't think they will want to risk sharing any information on new movies with a pinball license until the first movie is out, and then Stern will need the lead time to make the game. But I'd love the be wrong here and see it earlier.
    -ben

Ummm what?

Between now and the time the movie comes out is plenty of lead time to make the game.

I think stuff for Star Wars will be out before the movie....
    "Star Wars: Episode VII toys will hit store shelves on September 4th"
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/3/8539903/star-wars-force-awakens-toys-release-date

FYI... 250 Total votes so far, Stern leads the way... not by much... close race.

#116 8 years ago

Its_a_trap_JJP.jpgIts_a_trap_JJP.jpg
    tumblr_n0ue3w4uZQ1ts4ubeo1_500.giftumblr_n0ue3w4uZQ1ts4ubeo1_500.gif

#118 8 years ago

They should BOTH Join FORCES... see what I did there ?>

#122 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

You mean "game". Singular.

bazinga.jpgbazinga.jpg

Aka Bazinga!

#123 8 years ago

This is much closer race with JJP / STERN than I expected ... a photo finish. Being the 2015 Preakness is here I guess it's fitting.
    2acc44dd3491bc5d980b363446b2df41.jpg2acc44dd3491bc5d980b363446b2df41.jpg

1 week later

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrclean.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-so-whos-the-company-you-want-to-produce-yet-another-star-wars?tu=mrclean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.