(Topic ID: 73093)

OK, so now what would you rate as the WORST EM backglass of all time?

By jrpinball

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E4E1CEC1-5CDD-49F3-AF3A-E2ADB046E7D8 (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_0705 (resized).JPG
Discofc94e8f6de5e622a8a09b20640d7532f26d573fb (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
CC (resized).jpg
Lucy in the Sky (resized).jpg
Mermaid (resized).jpg
Quartette (resized).jpg
Easy Aces (resized).jpg
Nic (resized).jpg
SS (resized).jpg
Sir Rossi (resized).jpg
Sea-Belles (resized).jpg
Atlas (resized).jpg
IMG_2510 (resized).JPG
There are 367 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

So you were here in Indiana, sorry I didn't run into you. But I am the one without any pins.

I've been out there a few times in the past. Not anymore though. Gets you some pins!

1 month later
#352 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Not my favorite. Didn't give the machine a chance because I didn't like the backglass. Reminds me too much of Petula Clark.

What's wrong with Petula Clark... she was one of the hottest 60s singer babes, at least IMO.

#353 6 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

What's wrong with Petula Clark... she was one of the hottest 60s singer babes, at least IMO.

I thought it, you wrote it

#354 6 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Ok, didn't know that.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Ok, didn't know that.

She does in fact look righteously fresh and healthy there!

#356 6 years ago

One vote for Galahad from me. Same Playfield as Camelot, but while Camelot is cool - the backglas very nicely matches the playfield - this absolutely is not the case for Galahad!

5 years later
#357 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's what's great about this hobby. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Glad we aren't all looking for the same ones.

Love this thread begun by the esteemed JR. Clearly we are a large community with very diverse tastes. My current interests lie with the art of Jerry Kelley and Christian Marche on Bally and Williams games from the early-1960's through the mid-1970's, but I also enjoy the work of George Molentin and Gordon Morison. This is roughly the period of abstract pinball art. In the art world at large, abstract art is experiencing a revival these days with a popular "cubist" exhibition recently closing at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Some of the candidates mentioned in this thread for worst backglasses are from this class of abstract art, with King Rex and Galahad near the top of the list. These games are not featured in the Pacific Pinball curated exhibit on modernist pinball art (https://www.pacificpinball.org/exhibition/pointy-people), but some games mentioned in this thread, Paddock/Post Time, Zip-A-Doo and Mini-Zag are!

My candidates for worst backglasses would include romantic woodrails from the 1950's and many of the Gottlieb EM games, but I think it is just better to say that they are not styles I appreciate.

With this thread being silent for over 5 years, I am wondering if current pinfans have new candidates for worst EM backglasses?

JR, we will need to debate this over a cigar at Pinfest!

#358 1 year ago

It’s a great thread and to each his own but the thread could have been ended after 1 post. Having this thing in a lineup would ruin the look of your whole game room.
E4E1CEC1-5CDD-49F3-AF3A-E2ADB046E7D8 (resized).pngE4E1CEC1-5CDD-49F3-AF3A-E2ADB046E7D8 (resized).png

#359 1 year ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Having this thing in a lineup would ruin the look of your whole game room.

It being so bad is what makes it so great.

#360 1 year ago

bally's vampire screams like a bet to the artist, "you can't use any pencils. only sharpie markers. also, you're primary colors are red & green. try and not make it look all christmas-y"

#361 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

bally's vampire screams like a bet to the artist, "you can't use any pencils. only sharpie markers. also, you're primary colors are red & green. try and not make it look all christmas-y"

Agreed. Should have been much better. This and Stern's Dracula - I guess vampires were too difficult for pinball artists.

#362 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

Agreed. Should have been much better. This and Stern's Dracula - I guess vampires were too difficult for pinball artists.

Yup. Stern's "Dracula" is one ugly backglass!

#363 1 year ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

It’s a great thread and to each his own but the thread could have been ended after 1 post. Having this thing in a lineup would ruin the look of your whole game room.
[quoted image]

For years, a good friend of mine had this game in his gameroom among his predominantly Gottlieb wedgehead collection. I kept bugging him about it, but he really liked the game. He finally got a good offer on it from someone who really wanted it, and at last it was gone!

#364 1 year ago

I'm on the Vampire bandwagon for the most ugly backglass!

#365 1 year ago
Quoted from OldHockeyGuy:

I'm on the Vampire bandwagon for the most ugly backglass!

It's bad but there are worst ones; simply review the examples in this thread for many candidates.

#366 1 year ago
Quoted from Dono:

It's bad but there are more glaringly bad titles; simply review the examples in this thread for many candidates.

2 months later
#367 11 months ago

@jrpinball, wondering what your current top 5 is after nearly 10 years of life to this thread?

After staring at many of these backglasses last weekend, I can't stop thinking that Jungle King does look like a guy in diapers, Vampire and Galahad are really ugly, but I disagree with you on Straight Flush , Paddock / Post Time , and Student Prince , which seem nicely comical.

What do you, or others think now?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Colorado Springs, CO
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Seattle, WA
$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 367 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-so-now-what-would-you-rate-as-the-worst-em-backglass-of-all-time/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.