(Topic ID: 73093)

OK, so now what would you rate as the WORST EM backglass of all time?

By jrpinball

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E4E1CEC1-5CDD-49F3-AF3A-E2ADB046E7D8 (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_0705 (resized).JPG
Discofc94e8f6de5e622a8a09b20640d7532f26d573fb (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
CC (resized).jpg
Lucy in the Sky (resized).jpg
Mermaid (resized).jpg
Quartette (resized).jpg
Easy Aces (resized).jpg
Nic (resized).jpg
SS (resized).jpg
Sir Rossi (resized).jpg
Sea-Belles (resized).jpg
Atlas (resized).jpg
IMG_2510 (resized).JPG
There are 367 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 7 years ago

I have to say Art Stenholm is right up there too...

(Sorry I know this is about ugly backglasses, I'll get back on the subject) after this one...

image-17 (resized).jpgimage-17 (resized).jpg

#302 7 years ago

Solar City was my first EM and I had it for the longest time. There was enough abstract art on it so I hadn't really noticed until I started putting others around it that it no longer fit in.

image-2 (resized).jpgimage-2 (resized).jpg

#303 7 years ago

Morrison is hit and miss for me. I always thought Astro was a killer backglass but then what's with the goofy dude on the playfield?

AstroGlass (resized).jpgAstroGlass (resized).jpg

AstroGoofball (resized).jpgAstroGoofball (resized).jpg

#304 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

(Sorry I know this is about ugly backglasses, I'll get back on the subject) after this one...

Art Stenholm is my favorite. And his artwork paired with the fact he did most of the late 60's little flipper games is a great thing.

#305 7 years ago

Stenholm has made a few duds for sure. But many are real works of art. I keep the good ones.

ss (resized).jpgss (resized).jpg

#306 7 years ago

Not my favorite. Didn't give the machine a chance because I didn't like the backglass. Reminds me too much of Petula Clark.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#307 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Didn't give the machine a chance because I didn't like the backglass.

I would have gladly traded a King Rex for it.

image-1 (resized).jpgimage-1 (resized).jpg

#308 7 years ago

Williams has some of the worst...

DSCF5590 (resized).JPGDSCF5590 (resized).JPG

And here's one of Gordon's misses... Maybe he just disliked Soccer and was doing it on purpose...

image-15 (resized).jpgimage-15 (resized).jpg

#309 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Williams has some of the worst...

I'm not sure what's worse- Little Chief... or.... Big Injun.

image-25 (resized).jpgimage-25 (resized).jpg

#310 7 years ago

I love my Atlantis but the (hopefully benign) shoulder growths and child rearing hips keeps my head on the playfield

IMG_1695 (resized).JPGIMG_1695 (resized).JPG

#311 7 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

I love my Atlantis but the (hopefully benign) shoulder growths and child rearing hips keeps my head on the playfield

#312 7 years ago

This only scratches the surface of some of the goofballs I see every day. I'm glad they fit in with the theme.

DSCN5294 (resized).JPGDSCN5294 (resized).JPG

DSCN5300 (resized).JPGDSCN5300 (resized).JPG

DSCN5301 (resized).JPGDSCN5301 (resized).JPG

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This only scratches the surface of some of the goofballs I see every day. I'm glad they fit in with the theme.

Those are fabulous!

#314 7 years ago

Spanish Eyes for worst b/g ever.............

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Road Race, only odd thing with the backglass art, is the American looking cars racing through what appears to be an older European town.

#316 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Morrison is hit and miss for me. I always thought Astro was a killer backglass but then what's with the goofy dude on the playfield?

I do like that goofy dude, but I do find it's pretty common for the artwork on the playfield or plastics not to be up to par with the backglass.
For instance North Star backglass:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

And the guitar player and sirens are pretty poorly drawn on the PF:

#317 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I do like that goofy dude, but I do find it's pretty common for the artwork on the playfield or plastics not to be up to par with the backglass.

Yeah, not even close to being the worst but definitely disappointing comparatively. It was so close to being a total package. I don't mind the North Star playfield either but yeah it's got such a cool glass one might expect something a bit better.

#318 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Yeah, not even close to being the worst but definitely disappointing comparatively.

No, of course not. It made me think of that with the Gordon Morison goofy people... It seems to me like his playfield art is often not as good as the BG art, and I thought of that example too.

#319 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm not sure what's worse- Little Chief... or.... Big Injun.

I don't care how cheap or in what condition,thats one Gottlieb I will never buy. There is several more...

#320 7 years ago

That's what's great about this hobby. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Glad we aren't all looking for the same ones.

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Spanish Eyes for worst b/g ever.............

I used to think that as a kid ... But as a Big Kid now .. I like it and proudly own it... GREAT GAME!!!

6 months later
#322 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It almost looks like some of those Galahad dudes there, and she looks like she might just be related.

If there's one thing I've learned since JR started this thread is it's probably best not to get set in your ways and keep an open mind or you may run out of games to play. And she's just lovely.

DSCN5556 (resized).JPGDSCN5556 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#323 6 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

For instance North Star backglass

That's because the Backglass was drawn by Art Stenholm and the Playfield by Roy Parker. There still is some dispute going on regarding this but I think it must be this way. Compare the North Star-Backglass to Art Stenholm's Mad World for Bally, it's exactly his style. Roy Parker died shortly after this so he might not have been in a good state when he did it.

And Domino is also by Art Stenholm, he altered his style a bit because he was asked for, the same way Christian Marche has been asked to copy the 'Pointy People Artwork' which was invented by Jerry K Kelley.

I know this almost seems to be a 'Bash Christian Marche' Topic but please think twice - have a look at the ca 170 Machines that Marche did, everyone at Ad-Posters liked him and he was good friends with Gordon Morison. Surely the Artwork for GALAHAD is strange, especially for today's Pinheads, but just have a look at Vinyl-Record-Covers from that time, or watch the Movie 'Gimme Shelter' then maybe you will look at this more open-minded.
Christian Marche was a great Artist and he did what he was asked for.

On the other hand I'm quite sure that no one back then would have appreciated the 'Photo-Shop-Quality-Artwork' on some of today's Games. So please do not be too harsh, the Companies knew exactly what they did. Then and now.

#324 6 years ago

Agree
Also I think there are other art packages
(more than commonly acknowledged by pinball books or reference sites)
where some artist did the BG and another did art for PF and/or plastics set.
or where someone (Like Stenholm)
may have help touch up faces and other areas where Parker might have done
the layout or roughs of figures or background.

#325 6 years ago

Spanish eyes or Granada. I don’t mind most of the other ones listed. Just those two creep me out.

#326 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If there's one thing I've learned since JR started this thread is it's probably best not to get set in your ways and keep an open mind or you may run out of games to play. And she's just lovely.

I think 'she'... looks more like a 'he' with black hair and makeup on... wearing a cheap blonde wig.

#327 6 years ago

Worst EM flyer backglass (and playfield) shot of all time. And yes, that is it. Nothing on the backside.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/2840/2840f1.jpg

#328 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

I think 'she'... looks more like a 'he'

If I was the guy holding the 9, I would date him..

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And she's just lovely.

Quoted from Pinballprowess:

I think 'she'... looks more like a 'he' with black hair and makeup on... wearing a cheap blonde wig.

I never noticed that before, but she does have a Herman Munster / Frankenstein forehead.

#330 6 years ago

We have assembled a great list of candidates for worst e-m backglass of all time.
Looking through the list of Linked Games, it would be great if we could narrow down the list to the top 8 worst, then make a poll listing those worst 8.

#331 6 years ago

There are some really, really ugly foreign backglasses. So, if we do a poll, I think we should limit it to domestic backglasses. Bally "Galahad" is just about as bad as it gets IMHO.

#332 6 years ago

boom (resized).jpgboom (resized).jpg

How did this ever get approved?

1 week later
#333 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Worst EM flyer backglass (and playfield) shot of all time. And yes, that is it. Nothing on the backside.
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/2840/2840f1.jpg

Maybe this is why they don't show the front of the machine:
IMG_2510 (resized).JPGIMG_2510 (resized).JPG

I mean, WT actual F is going on in this artwork?

#334 6 years ago

Wow, those last two are both really hideous.

#335 6 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

The two ladies are going to unzip the lad's pants
and then doo their best to bang his gong?

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Spanish eyes or Granada. I don’t mind most of the other ones listed. Just those two creep me out.

I ordered parts for a Spanish Eyes from PBR last week. Steve Young said he always wanted someone to make him a stained glass backglass for it. Ugly or not, it's one of my EM favorites.

#337 6 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Maybe this is why they don't show the front of the machine:

I don't know. I really like some of the shapes on that one!

#338 6 years ago

Since this Topic seems to be used almost exclusively to bash Christian Marche and Gordon Morison I think IMHO that some work of Roy Parker could be named as well. Of course I know Roy Parker is a God to many of us but on the other hand he surely didn't always hit it.
So please make your own conclusions about these artworks from the 50ies.
And especially for the great Fan-Base of GALAHEAD - if you love Galahad you'll get crazy over FALSTAFF, I'm sure

Atlas (resized).jpgAtlas (resized).jpg
Sea-Belles (resized).jpgSea-Belles (resized).jpg
Sir Rossi (resized).jpgSir Rossi (resized).jpg
SS (resized).jpgSS (resized).jpg
Nic (resized).jpgNic (resized).jpg
Easy Aces (resized).jpgEasy Aces (resized).jpg
Quartette (resized).jpgQuartette (resized).jpg
Mermaid (resized).jpgMermaid (resized).jpg
Lucy in the Sky (resized).jpgLucy in the Sky (resized).jpg
CC (resized).jpgCC (resized).jpg

#339 6 years ago

I know it's not an EM but, Ready Aim Fire is hands down the worst Pinball "art" ever. Some kindergarteners could do better.

#340 6 years ago

It's a strange artwork, but please keep in mind that Gottlieb (and all Pinball) had a rough time back then, so they had to save costs where ever it was possible. And compared to junk live 'Raven' or 'Rock' I think Ready-Aim-Fire is a masterpiece

#341 6 years ago

I always liked North Star, but this bothers me.

Why is the skewered fish looking up at the girl and smiling?

E

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#342 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't know. I really like some of the shapes on that one!

For the record: I LIKE the pointy people!

E

#343 6 years ago

1970 must be a top contender for Worst Year for Backglass Artwork on Pinball Machines.

#344 6 years ago

One of the worst and I was around during the Disco era. Bad even if it's rare as some would say.

JR would you say worse than a bag of cheeseburgers with pickles?

Discofc94e8f6de5e622a8a09b20640d7532f26d573fb (resized).jpgDiscofc94e8f6de5e622a8a09b20640d7532f26d573fb (resized).jpg

#345 6 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I always liked North Star, but this bothers me.
Why is the skewered fish looking up at the girl and smiling?
E

Because the fish thinks she's hot!

#346 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

JR would you say worse than a bag of cheeseburgers with pickles?

I've been in Plainfield a couple of times before. Did I meet you somewhere and tell you this story over a mug of ale?

Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

Since this Topic seems to be used almost exclusively to bash Christian Marche and Gordon Morison I think IMHO that some work of Roy Parker could be named as well. Of course I know Roy Parker is a God to many of us but on the other hand he surely didn't always hit it.
So please make your own conclusions about these artworks from the 50ies.
And especially for the great Fan-Base of GALAHEAD - if you love Galahad you'll get crazy over FALSTAFF, I'm sure

Admittedly, Parker drew some funky looking characters, but all those backglasses look great to me. Seems to me, Mr. Morison just about copied Parker's Atlas on his "Vulcan" backglass.

#347 6 years ago

I think wrong Plainfield JR there are about 20 and Indiana has two of them an incorporated town which I live in (population about the size of NJ one) and an unincorporated town up north near Gary In. Read it in the Road Trip thread and don't forget the coffee. I feel sorry for you as there is nothing worse than being sick and having to drive.

#348 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I think wrong Plainfield JR there are about 20 and Indiana has two of them an incorporated town which I live in (population about the size of NJ one) and an unincorporated town up north near Gary In. Read it in the Road Trip thread and don't forget the coffee. I feel sorry for you as there is nothing worse than being sick and having to drive.

The Plainfield I was in is just west of the Indy airport.
Now I recall sharing that story here. Yeah, that was bad, but I did come home with a "Diamond Jack". I think that was my second of the seven I have owned. To this day, I still tell them to hold the pickles when I get a fast food burger!

#349 6 years ago

I have a Little Chief and always thought the backglass was really good. I've wondered which Little Chief they modeled it after as there were a couple. Maybe this one.

IMG_0705 (resized).JPGIMG_0705 (resized).JPG

#350 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

The Plainfield I was in is just west of the Indy airport.
Now I recall sharing that story here. Yeah, that was bad, but I did come home with a "Diamond Jack". I think that was my second of the seven I have owned. To this day, I still tell them to hold the pickles when I get a fast food burger!

So you were here in Indiana, sorry I didn't run into you. But I am the one without any pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

1,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alameda, CA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Seattle, WA
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 367 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-so-now-what-would-you-rate-as-the-worst-em-backglass-of-all-time/page/7?hl=luzur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.