Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Nibbles
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jon-popcorn.gif
    space-invaders-moon.jpg
    DontFeedTheTroll.jpg
    MM-trolls-small.jpg
    trolling_pic.png
    Comicbookguy.gif
    one-hand-slapping.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I'm just getting back into pinball, which also has me addicted to Pinside, Craigslist, Ebay and constant monitoring for deals on pins. I just read in this thread (http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/not-happy-about-some-offers-on-my-mm) where the OP was getting called out for trolling. I think I get the basic concept of Trolling here, but if someone could explain it a little and help me understand what is the end game is for the "troll" I would appreciate it. Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Are you trolling?

#3 10 years ago

usually, to be a hater of whatever someone else is saying…
    but, this is a special kind in your example. that's someone lying to try and convince someone to lower their pin price.
    they usually deserve something like this…

one-hand-slapping.jpgone-hand-slapping.jpg

#4 10 years ago

On the other side. I think the ones that try and convice someone to raise their price should also suffer the same fate.

#5 10 years ago

see chessiv in my eclewoz nib fs thread...

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from jamespin:

see chessiv in my eclewoz nib fs thread...

was that english ?

…i'm trolling…

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

Are you trolling?

Naw, I honestly have just heard of it. If it means the same as "searching for knowledge", then yes I am trolling.

Apparently I'm too willing to over-pay for a pin than be smart enough to troll. I'll try to negotiate down a little when I find what I want, but would not stoop to putting up posts to try to influence pricing (if I'm beginning to understand the concept correctly and that's what it is).

#8 10 years ago

"Trolling" is not really the right word here, usually it just means saying something inflammatory for the purpose of trying to piss people off. This seems more like a poor attempt to affect the MM market price.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

Naw, I honestly have just heard of it. If it means the same as "searching for knowledge", then yes I am trolling.
    Apparently I'm too willing to over-pay for a pin than be smart enough to troll. I'll try to negotiate down a little when I find what I want, but would not stoop to putting up posts to try to influence pricing (if I'm beginning to understand the concept correctly and that's what it is).

nope

#10 10 years ago

Best topic title ever...

Comicbookguy.gifComicbookguy.gif

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

was that english ? …i'm trolling…

munchkineeze

#12 10 years ago

Same as bullying. Someone does something you don't like and can't rationalize why you are so offended you use the term troll.

Not downplaying bullying but trolling and bullying or two of the most overused sayings these days.

#13 10 years ago

trolling_pic.pngtrolling_pic.png
    #14 10 years ago

Nope it's not "searching for knowledge", nope it's not "putting up posts to try to influence pricing" or neither?

#15 10 years ago

it's mostly about being a pain the bleep to try & tick people off

for example… if there was a thread about how great the new health care law is, and everyone was speaking positively about it, and then someone posted some inflammatory comment just to make everyone mad… …that would be trolling.

#16 10 years ago

1. For attention 2. To stir people up because it amuses them 3. To be a dick. Welcome to the interwebs.

#17 10 years ago

If you say something negative about WOZ, it's considered trolling.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

exactly…
    like if you said woz was an overpriced, over-lit, slow game based on a flic for 8 year old girls, with some seriously questionable design issues like little red slippers as flippers and a doll-house on the playfield…

…then you know you're a redneck.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

Yep, especially in someones for sale thread. You got it. Maybe we need a new catagory too... passive agressive trolls lol too lol!

#20 10 years ago

You want to know what trolling is? Search all user posts made by houseofpin.

#21 10 years ago

Courtesy of urbandictionary...

"The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll."

#22 10 years ago

I mentioned in that thread he was trolling because it was not a genuine thread. He did not have a MM for sale at that price and just wanted to stir the pot for his own entertainment. He was basically wasting people's time by not being genuine.

The "end" game in his thought process was to try and be a one man crusade in dropping the price of something he wants. Posting a review of a 1, claiming that he can't sell one for deflated price, etc..., all in the hopes that can buy/get one cheaper than he is willing to spend.

The irksome part is that I actually thought he was having problems selling one and offered up some advice to help. Once I found out what his "end" game is, I am glad his waste of time thread was closed.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I mentioned in that thread he was trolling because it was not a genuine thread. He did not have a MM for sale at that price and just wanted to stir the pot for his own entertainment. He was basically wasting people's time by not being genuine.
    The "end" game in his thought process was to try and be a one man crusade in dropping the price of something he wants. Posting a review of a 1, claiming that he can't sell one for deflated price, etc..., all in the hopes that can buy/get one cheaper than he is willing to spend.
    The irksome part is that I actually thought he was having problems selling one and offered up some advice to help. Once I found out what his "end" game is, I am glad his waste of time thread was closed.

JimJim66, thanks for relating it back to that thread. Based on everyone's posts here, I now understand trolling better, but your explanation above helps me relate it back to that thread, and ultimately why it was closed.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from GListOverflow:

This seems more like a poor attempt to affect the MM market price

You mean because it's got trolls in it?

I'm trolling...

#25 10 years ago

Purposely being a fucking douche to get a rise out of people. Sometimes its pretty funny, depends who's doing it...

#26 10 years ago

Trolls are synonymous with anything to do with Medieval Madness. It just comes with the territory.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Trolls are synonymous with anything to do with Medieval Madness. It just comes with the territory.

yup. lots of trolling on medieval madness !!

MM-trolls-small.jpgMM-trolls-small.jpg

#28 10 years ago

In terms of pinball

1) Systematically searching for games on CL or other online sources for pinball machines, generally offering a low price hoping to get a really, really, good deal on a pinball machine from the uninformed.

2) Going on an online message board and submitting deliberately provocative posting with the aim of inciting an angry response.

This is the best I could come up with.

Tom

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

Going on an online message board and submitting deliberately provocative posting with the aim of inciting an angry response.

I find it pretty funny what makes some people angry. Especially over a pinball machine.

#30 10 years ago

This video basically explains trolling in a pretty funny two and half minutes:

#31 10 years ago

Also, it is worth noting regarding MM and WOZ:

1) I view the people who are rejoicing with extreme glee at the people who lost "equity" in MM as trolls. I've seen very few hobbies where people have taken as much joy seeing others lose equity/value than I have witnessed with the MMr situation. Yes, we all know you shouldn't buy pins as an investment . . . that has been said enough and is understood by everyone already. Leave them be.

2) I view the people constantly, thread after thread, hammering the WOZ purchasers for not getting their machines on time or laughing at how they basically funded Jack's start up and he jumped them in favor of standards or whatever else as trolling. The point was made by these people dozens of times . . . they don't have to make it every thread and for the most part it seems to have subsided.

I don't have and am not on the list for either MM or WOZ . . . the above is just my personal opinion.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

1) I view the people who are rejoicing with extreme glee at the people who lost "equity" in MM as trolls. I've seen very few hobbies where people have taken as much joy seeing others lose equity/value than I have witnessed with the MMr situation.

I believe it is the same with the people that were rejoicing as the equity was being gained.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I believe it is the same with the people that were rejoicing as the equity was being gained.

Eh, I personally distinguish the two situations a bit. It is one thing to be happy you made some money . . . it is another to have people rub your nose in the fact that you lost money. MM was/is a grail game for many and a lot of people saved and scratched and clawed a long time to obtain one in the past couple of years.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Also, it is worth noting regarding MM and WOZ:

1) I view the people who are rejoicing with extreme glee at the people who lost "equity" in MM as trolls. I've seen very few hobbies where people have taken as much joy seeing others lose equity/value than I have witnessed with the MMr situation. Yes, we all know you shouldn't buy pins as an investment . . . that has been said enough and is understood by everyone already. Leave them be.

2) I view the people constantly, thread after thread, hammering the WOZ purchasers for not getting their machines on time or laughing at how they basically funded Jack's start up and he jumped them in favor of standards or whatever else as trolling. The point was made by these people dozens of times . . . they don't have to make it every thread and for the most part it seems to have subsided.

I don't have and am not on the list for either MM or WOZ . . . the above is just my personal opinion.

Well said. People taking joy over other people's misfortunes is something I never understood.

#35 10 years ago

Adding to SilverBallz' post; I have noticed bashing WoZ, JJP or Jack himself when overpromising or under delivering is immediately called out and even ban votes are given by some moderators (no names) after posts are reported by some pinside members. Yet, no reports are made when other pinball companies or management is called out.

Then you have the whiners and crybabies calling out some posters for not making a donation to pinside when they spot an anti-JJP posg. Y
    et the callouts are not there for bashers of Stern.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Eh, I personally distinguish the two situations a bit. It is one thing to be happy you made some money . . . it is another to have people rub your nose in the fact that you lost money.

Yes they are different. When one person brags that he has made money to someone less fortunate, the less fortunate one should not sink to that level.

#37 10 years ago

DontFeedTheTroll.jpgDontFeedTheTroll.jpg
    #38 10 years ago

Is there a way to quote posts on an iPhone, like you do on a computer?
    Such As highlighting someone's post and it creates a quote in your new post.

#39 10 years ago

anticipating a woz / jjp war any minute now… now where's that short fuse ?

space-invaders-moon.jpgspace-invaders-moon.jpg

#40 10 years ago

Who really cares!

(example of trolling)

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yes they are different. When one person brags that he has made money to someone less fortunate, the less fortunate one should not sink to that level.

I understand the point you are making. I also see the logic behind it. That said, we shall agree to disagree on this one my friend.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I understand the point you are making. I also see the logic behind it. That said, we shall agree to disagree on this one my friend.

My mom told me I should have been a lawyer. But I'm not. Just an auto mechanic with a clear conscience.
    (no troll intended).

#43 10 years ago

Trolling to me is when the same pinsiders try to aggravate you and follow every post you make. That is my definition of trolling. Trust me, I have many who troll me. However, maybe that is just "stalking".....not trolling. Maybe it is TROLLING and STALKING now that I re-think it....LOL !!!

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

It has been very enlightening to me to see how certain members here reacted. Told me all I needed to know about them.

#45 10 years ago

According to Pinside ... Simply disagreeing with members RobT or Pincroma earns you the term TROLL instantly.

Whereas I understood a troll to be someone who enters a thread with the sole intention of saying something inflammatory just to piss everyone off.

As opposed to simply disagreeing with somebody, because your opinion differs.

rd.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

I'm just getting back into pinball, which also has me addicted to Pinside, Craigslist, Ebay and constant monitoring for deals on pins. I just read in this thread (http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/not-happy-about-some-offers-on-my-mm) where the OP was getting called out for trolling. I think I get the basic concept of Trolling here, but if someone could explain it a little and help me understand what is the end game is for the "troll" I would appreciate it. Thanks!

so then, your next question is...
    what happens while the trolling engages?
    ..and the answer is...

jon-popcorn.gifjon-popcorn.gif

#47 10 years ago

I have always pictured an internet troll as a guy who sits around in his mother or sister's underwear, surfing forums in which he can hash out misdirected adolescent frustrations. Probably wearing lipstick and checking off a list of forum members that he hates the most. All the while trying to prove that he is the most intelligent and witty person on the forum. These trolls are pretty easy to spot.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

usually, to be a hater of whatever someone else is saying…

Trolling in most cases is just an internet way of being sarcastic in the hopes that someone will respond, typically used as a way for people for prove the other person wrong through said persons own thought process (and hopefully making them realize that they've fallen for a hype train/status symbol/etc).

Example:
    "Why would anyone pay $8k for a MMremake, when clearly there is little overhead of actual design and production cost... enjoy giving them a 90% markup on an already over-inflated status symbol"

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-please-explain-trolling and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.