(Topic ID: 52428)

Ok, is Tron a great game or ?

By pinrock

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

CV and Avengers you are correct. MM and AFM I like better because of the theme, not necessarily because of the rules.

Quoted from RobT:

Which means you don't like MM, AFM, MB, Avengers, CV, etc etc either, right?

#52 10 years ago

NOT talking about Eli's mod. I was talking about the guys who put EL wire on the their ramps...

Quoted from gweempose:

Are you being serious? Eli has put more effort and dedication into his fiber mod that virtually any other mod I can think of. It may not be identical to the LE, but it's an amazing accomplishment in its own right. I don't see how anyone could possibly call it "junk". That's just a ridiculous statement.

#53 10 years ago

I bough my Tron before I played one game on it. For me, it is one of my favorite games of all time, I mean it may not be the best game, such as AFM or whatnot, but for a game in the $5k range it does not feel overpriced.

I believe there was a lot of hype for Tron, much like there is for IM, the difference is that Stern did several re-runs of Tron, if there was never a rerun, I believe the Tron pros would be much more sought after. If this makes any sense, for example, if 400 people really wanted a Tron they likely bought one on the reruns. Now it may seem that they are not getting snapped up as quickly may seem like there is a lot of them on the market.

I especially like Tron because its fun every time I play, I don't have to have a super game on it to enjoy it. On XM LE, if I don't progress well on a game I am not having a good time, on Tron it's fun even if I only get a 2 minute game. I also don't mind repeating modes in Tron, the modes are fun and quick, not tedious or a chore that some games I have like XM LE or PotC those games sometimes seem more like work. Tron is just pure fun, and quick paced so that I could play game after game.

I can't think of too many thing I don't like about Tron, the peg legs and cheap lockdown mechanism are about the only things I dislike and so I replaced the PF bracket. I do think Stern should do away with those two features altogether as people are paying $4500 for a game and hey cut back there to save just a few dollars and make us pay for it anyway aftermarket. Just add $60 to the price and be done with it.

Bottom line, I could not be more happy with a game purchase than with Tron, well worth the money IMO.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Are you being serious? Eli has put more effort and dedication into his fiber mod that virtually any other mod I can think of. It may not be identical to the LE, but it's an amazing accomplishment in its own right. I don't see how anyone could possibly call it "junk". That's just a ridiculous statement.

+10
I can't think of a single mod that is more sophisticated and adds more to the gameplay than Eli's mod. I believe what we have here is a few LE owners dishing sour-grapes.

#55 10 years ago

Always play a game before you consider buying it. Going by reviews doesn't cut it, and reviews can be manipulated by hype.

And that being said, I'm a year and a half into ownership of Tron. It is a great game to me. Fast, flowing and fun. It isn't for everyone, but no game is. If you like that style, it is fantastic.

#56 10 years ago

Let's not be so dramatic guys. There are several ways people are lighting up their ramps, and they are mostly cheesy. Eli's mod is not.

Quoted from kvan99:

I believe what we have here is a few LE owners dishing sour-grapes.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I believe what we have here is a few LE owners dishing sour-grapes.

For the record, I own an LE, and I still think Eli's mod is fricken cool as hell.

#58 10 years ago

you should add a poll. I couldn't get into my nib tron and sold it a couple months later after a hundred or so plays.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

For the record, I own an LE, and I still think Eli's mod is fricken cool as hell.

Same here!

#60 10 years ago

I have a Pro and like it quite a bit. I have yet to install any mod, as I spent extra cash on buying more pins. My first mod will be Eli's ramp mod which I've seen mentioned...is it out yet for the general public? Last I looked I thought it was just for beta testers. Has this changed?

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Yeah, "junk" is not the word you want. Try "kludge."

Another word with such a negative connotation. Maybe "aftermarket" or "retrofit" or even "substitute" or "imitation".

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I have a Pro and like it quite a bit. I have yet to install any mod, as I spent extra cash on buying more pins. My first mod will be Eli's ramp mod which I've seen mentioned...is it out yet for the general public? Last I looked I thought it was just for beta testers. Has this changed?

No, unfortunately, it's not for general sale yet. You can check the WIP thread for more detail. Sorry for continuing to derail this topic, but I feel very strongly about Eli's work.

#62 10 years ago

It's a very good Stern game. It's no TSPP or LOTR though, those IMHO, are masterpieces.

#63 10 years ago

Great game, loved it while I had it. Just not a keeper for me.

Maybe I will buy another down the line, most likely not.

#64 10 years ago

I kind of prefer short/simple games. This trait would not be a negative for me. I would bet a full game to reach the end of PotC would take a good 20 minutes. I have never even reached Portal but i would assume it could be done in less than 5 minutes of good play hitting your shots, so Tron being short or easy is not a negative for me.

#65 10 years ago

At first I did not appreciate Tron. I had not seen the movie and heard the movie did not do well. Then I started playing a couple of times and by the third time playing it I had determined that this game was unique and had great flow, call-outs and music. What really sold me was the upper left flipper. It is unique unlike most games with upper right. Trying to re-train myself to be more left-handed with upper was great. It is still a real challenging shot with upper left flipper. The look of this machine is a thing of beauty. It is also probably the best game to have fun modding out with-tons of things you can do. There is one problem-I have gotten out of control with modding this machine. I have already juiced over $1000 in mods and am now purchasing high end speakers and sub. I will keep this machine for a long time-it is not going anywhere(: Good luck!

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

At first I did not appreciate Tron. I had not seen the movie and heard the movie did not do well. Then I started playing a couple of times and by the third time playing it I had determined that this game was unique and had great flow, call-outs and music. What really sold me was the upper left flipper. It is unique unlike most games with upper right. Trying to re-train myself to be more left-handed with upper was great. It is still a real challenging shot with upper left flipper. The look of this machine is a thing of beauty. It is also probably the best game to have fun modding out with-tons of things you can do. There is one problem-I have gotten out of control with modding this machine. I have already juiced over $1000 in mods and am now purchasing high end speakers and sub. I will keep this machine for a long time-it is not going anywhere(: Good luck!

The speaker upgrade on Tron is a must. I removed the kit before I sold it, just sounds flat without a sub and quality speakers.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It's a very good Stern game. It's no TSPP or LOTR though, those IMHO, are masterpieces.

That may be so, but those are also "grind" pins. Long ball times, take you 20 minutes to get anywhere. That's fine if you're in the mood, but Tron is fun to just pick up and play.

#68 10 years ago

Getting to Portal isn't a 5 minute task, but it's not 30 minutes either. On a really good game, where you're not trying to actually SCORE but just get to Portal, 10 minutes is doable. Maybe a little less if you cradle-and-drain after getting the super jackpots.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That may be so, but those are also "grind" pins. Long ball times, take you 20 minutes to get anywhere. That's fine if you're in the mood, but Tron is fun to just pick up and play.

Very true. I love my LOTR, but I play my Tron and AC/DC ten times more often.

#70 10 years ago

Seems like Tron is very loved. So, all of you who are reading this and don't have one, I've got an awesome one for sale! Hit me up .

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I don't know that it's NOT fun to install mods but, if they don't actually add to or enhance the gameplay, I really don't care for them. If you can't see an insert, sure add a brighter led... Playfield too dark, sure, add some GI. Mirror blades and color changing LEDs... um, no thanks. Starting to believe I own the only unmodded Tron that's not NIB.

#72 10 years ago

This is off the topic. but I like TRON but got to first wizard mode the fist week. I bought an AVENGERS blue L.E. I think It has more lasting appeal. The pinball is just outstanding. I say No TRON But yes to The Avengers L.E. or Pro. Let the Hating begin. Avengers all the way.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

This is off the topic. but I like TRON but got to first wizard mode the fist week. I bought an Avengers blue L.E. I think It has more lasting appeal. The pinball is just outstanding. I say No TRON But yes to The Avengers L.E. or Pro. Let the Hating begin. Avengers all the way.

If by first wizard mode you mean "Sea Of Simulation", then that really isn't a wizard mode, IMHO. It's a bonus mode that you play once you have started every mode. It allows you an opportunity to complete each mode that you were unable to complete.

There is only one wizard mode in Tron and that is Portal.

I made it to Sea Of Simulation at the Tron Release Party on my first game as well. I then bought a Tron LE. I could make it to Sea of Simulation quite often. I made it to Portal only a handful of times. Tron is truly a "one more game" pinball machine.

I like Avengers LE, but for me, Tron, PRO or LE, is a better game all around.

Marcus

#74 10 years ago

Most addictive game I ever played

#75 10 years ago

Great game. Have to start adding mods to mine.

#76 10 years ago

I played tron for 30min.. sold my TSPP in 24hours and used the cash to buy TRON. havent missed TSPP for one second. Did just pick up a DemoMan.. and feel it might be cooler then TRON

#77 10 years ago

As with any pin the answer will vary from pinhead to pinhead. For me TRON is an outstanding pin right out of the box with great code. For pinheads (like myself) that enjoy modding their pins that is the extra cherry on top with TRON. Plenty of great mods to delve into not that they are necessary but some of us like to go overboard and this pin allows us to do that.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

especially like Tron because its fun every time I play, I don't have to have a super game on it to enjoy it. On XM LE, if I don't progress well on a game I am not having a good time, on Tron it's fun even if I only get a 2 minute game. I also don't mind repeating modes in Tron, the modes are fun and quick, not tedious or a chore that some games I have like XM LE or PotC those games sometimes seem more like work. Tron is just pure fun, and quick paced so that I could play game after game.

I agree with this - TRON is a fun game.

#79 10 years ago

Tron is absolutely superb. My favourite pin for sure. Only problem its getting more and more expensive as im modding the hell out of it and shipping overseas to europe is expensive and you can add VAT and customs to that :p

Still really fun to go over the top with this game thou.

#80 10 years ago

I'll go with '?'.

#81 10 years ago

I knew from my first game it wasn't going to be a very good game. Some day,if I find one for around $2K,I might pick it up just to play it for a while.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

DanQverymuch said:

Yeah, "junk" is not the word you want. Try "kludge."

Another word with such a negative connotation. Maybe "aftermarket" or "retrofit" or even "substitute" or "imitation".

Negative? I think it describes the mod perfectly.

"a software or hardware configuration that, while inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, or patched together, succeeds in solving a specific problem or performing a particular task. "

The lengths gone to to kind of replicate the LE ramps is admirable, awesome even, but a kludge is a kludge.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Most addictive game I ever played

You obviously haven't played AC/DC prem. makes Tron seem boring.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Oh really....... Your right I dont own an AC/DC premium I own a LTBR from NIB like just about all my pins are these days. ( except for my AFM )

I do love AC/DC but Tron shots are so silky smooth when making the combos.

#85 10 years ago

I really like this game and it will not leave anytime soon.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Playing a AC/DC is like driving a 1940's pick up truck-real rough and clunky

Playing a Tron is like driving a new Lexus off the lot-smooth as hell and looks sharp

#87 10 years ago

There is an interesting thread on the most overrated "A" list pins, check it out....

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Negative? I think it describes the mod perfectly.
"a software or hardware configuration that, while inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, or patched together, succeeds in solving a specific problem or performing a particular task. "
The lengths gone to to kind of replicate the LE ramps is admirable, awesome even, but a kludge is a kludge.

Yes, I would say the word "kludge" is a negative term. I would not use it to describe a year of hard work.

The fact that Eli's mod exists does not diminish your LE in any way, and I purposefully avoided entering into direct comparisons. Obviously, my opinion on it is not the same as yours.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yes, I would say the word "kludge" is a negative term. I would not use it to describe a year of hard work.
The fact that Eli's mod exists does not diminish your LE in any way, and I purposefully avoided entering into direct comparisons. Obviously, my opinion on it is not the same as yours.

Maybe you're confusing "kludge" with "hack"? Did you read the definition I provided? I don't think it's necessarily negative. It certainly fits. If a part-time project taking a year constitutes "a year of hard work" then maybe that would be a negative aspect of such an elaborate kludge, but don't blame it on the word.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

No it doesn't.

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No it doesn't.

They are both great games and anyone that believes otherwise is either not into pinball, a fool, or both.

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No it doesn't.

Im having a hard time thinking of any game that would make TRON LE or Pro seem boring... Well, maybe Hardbody.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

I played tron for 30min.. sold my TSPP in 24hours and used the cash to buy TRON. havent missed TSPP for one second. Did just pick up a DemoMan.. and feel it might be cooler then TRON

I love DM, great theme, call outs and game play...imo.

#94 10 years ago

TRON is definitely a very fun game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-is-tron-a-great-game-or/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.