6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ovfdfireman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Was thinking about purchasing a Tron. Got the impression it was a great game, but it seems like of lot of them have been, and are for sale. I was going to purchase one without playing, but I'm thinking to be safe I probably should find one and put some time on it, before deciding....Opinions?

#2 6 years ago

Great game? Greatest game.

#3 6 years ago

Ive had mine for a couple weeks now.Super fun 3 flipper game.Great combos.Awesome mods.No regrets.

#4 6 years ago

I like it OK, but personally, feel it's a bit overrated.

#5 6 years ago

I think its a good game but a great "experience"
The game is a lot of fun and very fast moving, but its the whole package, music, colouring, lights and sound that really bring it to life.

#6 6 years ago

It is a great game in my opinion especially with Eli's fiber optic wire kit installed on the ramps and external sub woofer really add to the whole Tron experience.

#7 6 years ago

All games go up and down. I bought it because of the raves and went through my own roller coaster. So at first I was excited with the sights and sounds. Quickly I bored with it though and would have sold it had my daughter not loved it.
Here is the "but". I have now come back to and actually have fallen in love with the game. The more you get in to it its just an absorbing game play. Great shots, amazing sounds and cool lighting. It won't leave. Not because of my daughter but because its one of those games that even if not played for a week or two I can turn it back on and instantly become absorbed and have a blast.
Its a great game.

#8 6 years ago

Yes, find one and put some time on it. I usually only comment on machines that I have owned, but I get to play a nice one at the timeshare in Orlando once a month and have put about 50 -100 games on it and don't see the big attraction. I don't think you would have a hard time selling one if you did purchase and found it wasn't your cup of tea. Just my opinion.
Bob

#9 6 years ago

Ok I'll be honest. I was a Tron hater at first. I heard all of the hype and plated it at the arcade a bunch of times. I just didn't get it. What was so great about this game!?

Then I found one for sale close enough at a great price. I decided to buy it, knowing that if I TRULY did not like it, I could get my money back out of it.

I've gotta say, this game probably isn't going anywhere for a while. Once you get some time on it, you'll understand why so many people enjoy it. I immediately added a shaker motor and an external sub woofer and it made the game even better. The game play is smooth and flowing. It's fast and will kick your ass. The music and call outs are awesome. The DOTS are great. All in all, this game is just a great complete package.

A lot of people are dumping games right now. It's that time of year when people are getting outside and have other hobbies going on. Also, you have Metallica which people are eating up, and Star Trek in the near future. Don't let the sales be something that steers you away from Tron.

If the price is right, I say pick it up!!! This is coming from an ex Tron hater...now converted...

#10 6 years ago

I absolutely love Tron, and it would be the last to leave my collection. For a long time, I wasn't sure if it was new pin syndrome, but I've bought LOTR and SS after Tron, and they're gathering dust at the moment.

That said, people's preferences are all different. I would at least try to play one before buying, but a lot of times you won't know if you really like a game until after you own it.

#11 6 years ago

I've considered selling my other pins to fund a Tron I love it that much.

#12 6 years ago

Great game. Solidly one of my top-5 favorites.

Personal opinions vary greatly, though. Invest some time on one, and figure out if the game does it for you...

Pete

#13 6 years ago

It's a good game, but it's not great. Good rules however not great for me, but the problem is the LE is SO much better than the pro. It's not just about modding your ramps with the wire, the LE changes colors with the game etc, not even in the same ballpark.

The rule set is pretty straight forward, shoot something a bunch of times, then multiball, then shoot it some more. I like games that vary the shots a bit more.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Ok I'll be honest. I was a Tron hater at first. I heard all of the hype and plated it at the arcade a bunch of times. I just didn't get it. What was so great about this game!?
Then I found one for sale close enough at a great price. I decided to buy it, knowing that if I TRULY did not like it, I could get my money back out of it.
I've gotta say, this game probably isn't going anywhere for a while. Once you get some time on it, you'll understand why so many people enjoy it. I immediately added a shaker motor and an external sub woofer and it made the game even better. The game play is smooth and flowing. It's fast and will kick your ass. The music and call outs are awesome. The DOTS are great. All in all, this game is just a great complete package.
A lot of people are dumping games right now. It's that time of year when people are getting outside and have other hobbies going on. Also, you have Metallica which people are eating up, and Star Trek in the near future. Don't let the sales be something that steers you away from Tron.
If the price is right, I say pick it up!!! This is coming from an ex Tron hater...now converted...

Exactly Pinitration. This pin will not leave my game room. Great package..............music, shots, lighting. Very hard wizard mode.

#15 6 years ago

Or.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

All games go up and down. I bought it because of the raves and went through my own roller coaster. So at first I was excited with the sights and sounds. Quickly I bored with it though and would have sold it had my daughter not loved it.
Here is the "but". I have now come back to and actually have fallen in love with the game. The more you get in to it its just an absorbing game play. Great shots, amazing sounds and cool lighting. It won't leave. Not because of my daughter but because its one of those games that even if not played for a week or two I can turn it back on and instantly become absorbed and have a blast.
Its a great game.

Maybe other folks have had the same experience you did but sell it before they "come back to it". With all the sales lately I thought maybe this was one of those "hype" pins that everyone buys, but then shortly thereafter figures out it is not that great and then sells it...Anyone know where one is in St. Louis I can play?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

the LE changes colors with the game etc, not even in the same ballpark.

Not for long ; )

#19 6 years ago

My personal favorite of the newer Stern games! A materpiece! If I could only have one pin it would be my Tron L.E.! For some reason this game just dosen`t get old. Not a deep rule game and shorter ball times actually work for this game. Speed and flow are superior, the disc is awesome! I dont know why this game isn't top 5 of all time, for me its argueably number one. Tons of mods for it, GET ONE! If you like pinball then you will appreciate this game!

#20 6 years ago

I've played probably 20 games or so on 2 different ones.. 1 was an LE and one was a Pro. I played the LE at a dealer location and the Pro at the Ohio show. I thought they were both similar and didn't remember the differences just to play a few games here and there. I didn't "hear" the game at the show like I did at a private room, but from what I heard and saw in my 2 experiences with it... I liked it. I'm not gonna pay rediculous money for an LE ever, but if I see a decent price on a Pro I'd likely pick one up. I agree that the overall experience is cool. I have an Avatar machine and for me that machine is a true experience.. especially if you are a fan of the Movie. Some people hate it.

#21 6 years ago

Tron is a great game...they are for sale a lot because they are overpriced (LE for $11k.....that's expensive)

#22 6 years ago

If someone could create a mod that replicates the behavior of the neon on the ramps exactly like it is on the LE that is a major win for pro owners.

Right now, the mod is junk.

Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Not for long ; )

EDIT: Jesus people... NOT Eli's mod. The people who throw EL wire up... that's junk.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from pinrock:

Maybe other folks have had the same experience you did but sell it before they "come back to it". With all the sales lately I thought maybe this was one of those "hype" pins that everyone buys, but then shortly thereafter figures out it is not that great and then sells it...Anyone know where one is in St. Louis I can play?

Silverballer has one in KC area............I don't know any Pinsiders in STL.................yet.

#24 6 years ago

There is a pinsider in Lancaster PA with a real nice one for sale!

#25 6 years ago

I really would love to play a TRON someday. I heard its the cats meow.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I really would love to play a TRON someday. I heard its the cats meow.

You should totally get one! After you buy it, mod it out and throw a party.

Don't forget to start a thread on the party. Everyone like to party.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

You should totally get one! After you buy it, mod it out and throw a party.
Don't forget to start a thread on the party. Everyone like to party.

I dont know, Id hate to be an attention whore.

#28 6 years ago

Amazing package and w/ the Daft Punk soundtrack and a subwoofer you simply can't go wrong.

My Tron LE was my first NIB and it won't be going anywhere. Ever.

Edit: Forgot to add that a big part for me is the light shows e.t.c. so a bone-stock pro might not look amazingly appealing but when done up with some nice lighting it's literally night and day.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Its a great game.

This is extremely similar to my own experience with Tron. In fact, I actually did sell it, only to then realize how much I missed it and I had to get it back. Paid quite a bit more than I sold it for, but it was worth it.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from pinrock:

Yes, you can play a Tron LE at 3rd Rail Bar and Grill in Pacific, along with 12 other pins. Also, this Tron LE is running the latest code, 1.74. Game is set at .75 cents for 3 balls, 3 games for $2.00. Game is clean and fast.

Food is great there. You should check the game out and let us know how you like it.

#31 6 years ago

Definitely play it first. It's just ok, imho. Nothing wrong with the game, but you *may* be somewhat let down based on the glowing reviews on pinside.

Brian

#32 6 years ago

I've had my Tron LE for almost two years, and I still play it more than all my other games combined. The proof is in the pudding playing.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I really hope you're talking about EL wire and not Eli's fiber mod. See this thread:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wthack-tron-pro-near-98501/page/21#post-896297

It doesn't exactly copy the LE, but in my opinion, it doesn't need to. It stands on it's own. I won't stoop to comparing the two directly and starting an argument.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from pinrock:

I thought maybe this was one of those "hype" pins

Hype does not last two years. Tron is two years old now. People are still excited about Tron because it is now and will forever be a great pinball game.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Definitely play it first. It's just ok, imho. Nothing wrong with the game, but you *may* be somewhat let down based on the glowing reviews on pinside.
Brian

Of course you can say that about virtually any pin that has "glowing reviews on pinside".

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

The rule set is pretty straight forward, shoot something a bunch of times, then multiball, then shoot it some more. I like games that vary the shots a bit more.

Which means you don't like MM, AFM, MB, Avengers, CV, etc etc either, right?

#37 6 years ago

Yes, for me the closest Stern to the W/B style of machine. Fast, great feel, not clunky, and the gameplay works.

I have had TSPP, LOTR, SM, RBION, & FG. Tron in my opinion is the best Stern I have played to date.

#38 6 years ago

I have to agree with Betelgeuse. Good game, but I enjoy Iron Man and AC/DC better.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Come on...what game CAN'T be boiled down to this level.

Give me your favorite game ever, and I bet I can reduce it in simplistic terms that make it seem like it is a pretty lame experience.

#40 6 years ago

I haven't been a fan. Its fun to play at someone else's for me, which is the scenario I have. I find you are constantly doing the same 5 or so things, and I find it all in all too shallow for me to care about, given its year. There is nothing innovating about it, and that is especially sad because it's a FH rip-off from 20 years prior.

It looks great, sounds great, but I just wish there were more to the rules. I just don’t get why people talk about this game the way they do, but we all have our likes and dislikes. I’m good with a few games every couple of months.

#41 6 years ago

I had a Tron Pro for about a month. It's a fun game but I'm shocked at the adoration this game gets. The depth is just not there for me. This seems like a great pin for new players or addition to a larger collection. In my opinion the stock version is seriously lacking. Lots of mods required to make this game feel right. We enjoyed our time with it but could not see it in the collection for the long haul.

LIBATIONS FOR EVERYONE!

#42 6 years ago

Tron is my favorite pinball of all time and I've played almost every DMD....

#43 6 years ago

I am one of the people selling my Tron. It is a great game, for sure! It didn't quite grab me as tight as I expected, and I am craving something different. I could very well regret selling it...we'll see.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

There is nothing innovating about it, and that is especially sad because it's a FH rip-off from 20 years prior.

I have to disagree. Tron LE introduced interactive fiber optic light tubes. That is a significant innovation for DMD pinball machines.

It stimulated the creation of the greatest mod of all time, Eli's Fiber Optic Tube Mod.

You can dislike the game all you want, but making claims that there is nothing innovating is not accurate, IMHO.

And, to saying it is a FH rip off is just silly. Tron is ripping off FH in the same manner that FH is ripping off Humpty Dumpty. While Tron and FH may share a similar layout, the game play is nothing alike, IMHO.

Marcus

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

It doesn't exactly copy the LE, but in my opinion, it doesn't need to. It stands on it's own. I won't stoop to comparing the two directly and starting an argument.

Here is a video from luvthatapex from 6 months ago with Eli's kit and code has been through a few revisions and improvements.

#46 6 years ago

I had a pro for about 9 months and enjoyed it while I had it. If space wasn't limited I would have kept it, as it is a well put together package. It is one of the prettiest Sterns (especially the later runs with a silk-screened cabinet) and has phenomenal music and sounds.

Unless the Tron films are a giant thing to you, there are many games with a very similar layout that can be had for less. Funhouse, JP, Frankenstein etc. Frankenstein is a favorite of mine and I found I enjoyed it much more than Tron, which is why I let Tron go for a game with a very different layout (Avengers).

#47 6 years ago

It's a great game....but not for everyone, just like all the games made before and after it.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

If someone could create a mod that replicates the behavior of the neon on the ramps exactly like it is on the LE that is a major win for pro owners.

Are you being serious? Eli has put more effort and dedication into his fiber mod that virtually any other mod I can think of. It may not be identical to the LE, but it's an amazing accomplishment in its own right. I don't see how anyone could possibly call it "junk". That's just a ridiculous statement.

#49 6 years ago

I have 10 pinballs and I play Tron 50% of the time...I must admit I'm not enamored with Stern, the photoshop playfield, cheap plastics, no backbox lighting, unfinished code etc...when I saw Tron I quickly dismissed it like the rest of the recent offerings, till I saw an LE and I knew that this may be the first complete Stern game since LOTR and TSPP. I bought a Pro because I found out I could get Eli's mod and be within striking distance of an LE for a little more than half the price of LE. The lighting, the music (the music is probably the all time best of any pinball), the code, the call outs and finally the game play will make this game top ten in my book. Good Luck.
kam

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Are you being serious? Eli has put more effort and dedication into his fiber mod that virtually any other mod I can think of. It may not be identical to the LE, but it's an amazing accomplishment in its own right. I don't see how anyone could possibly call it "junk". That's just a ridiculous statement.

Yeah, "junk" is not the word you want. Try "kludge."

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside