(Topic ID: 58876)

OK, I gotta know! Do you restart a game if you had a crappy 1st or 2nd Ball?

By OLDPINGUY

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DarkWizard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you restart your game if it doesn;t start well?”

• I always play every game through 92 votes
      43%
    • I will restart a game on occasion if I have a bit first ball. 79 votes
      37%
    • I will restart a game after the second ball, if it is bot going well 22 votes
      10%
    • I restart every game that looks bad 20 votes
      9%

(213 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_000430.jpg
    TWSS2.jpg
    Lance-Armstrong-points_AFP_0.jpg
    There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

So? Do you do it?

You start a game and ball 1 dies a fast death.

Do you press Start, and begin a new game?

What about your 2nd Ball......realize its hopeless and start again?

I, myself, am guilty of both.

#2 10 years ago

If 1ball sucks, i always restart.

Welcome to the enterprise.......

#3 10 years ago

Fish Tales + shocking pinball skills = expert game re-starter.....

......actually I always play through 'cause with my skills I'd never get to ball 3 otherwise

#4 10 years ago

I always see it as a practice run if the first ball drains fast, even the second. That's for real pins. On the pinball arcade app it's another thing

#5 10 years ago

I will occasionally intentionally drain the 3rd ball if the first 2 went miserable on CV. Unless it's my first or second game....got to get warmed-up

#6 10 years ago

Always re-start a game if my first ball is useless....frustration, anger....I may as well enjoy playing! Although, I don't think that frustration/anger/disappointment is anything compared to what I feel on a terrible third ball!!!

#7 10 years ago

it really depends upon the game to me. i.e.. if I have a bad first ball on NGG or WCS94, i keep playing but if i have a bad one on LOTR or WPT, I do a restart many of the times. (deeper the game the more likely i will do a restart).
    but owning these things , I think, should give us the liberty to restart without guilt! lol

#8 10 years ago

I really don't care if I have a bad game, so I'll just play it out.

#9 10 years ago

had some 3rd, balls go better than entire games. take your licks its pinball

#10 10 years ago

It only takes one good ball.

#11 10 years ago

No. I have had some of my highest scores on games where ball 1 (or 1 and 2) sucked ass.

The only time I have gotten Destroy The Ring on LOTR was just such a game.

Chris

#12 10 years ago

all my games have the option Game Restart set to NEVER.

#13 10 years ago

I never restart a game and almost never tilt a game.

#14 10 years ago

I have mild OCD

Part of my self induced therapy (booze, bacon & not letting shit get to me) includes going into the software menu & removing the ability to restart a pinball game... That & enabling auto plunge (I lose my mind hearing the ball waiting).

Sometimes though I end up power cycling it anyway lol

Dogh!

#15 10 years ago

I am guilty of rage re-starting on a quick first ball.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from wellarmed:

Never tilt? You are doing it wrong haha...

I used to restart games all the time, now I shut that feature off so you can't do it

#17 10 years ago

It all depends on my mood. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I only restart on my own machines if I do. Out in the wild, I take my scores good or bad.

#18 10 years ago

They're my machines, and if I wanna restart ball one I will...damn it.

#19 10 years ago

Never restart. All it takes is one epic ball to make or break a game.

#20 10 years ago

Only if it's the "last game" before heading to bed.

#21 10 years ago

Hey,

I had to turn that feature off when I had my Twilight Zone I was doing it so often. So yes, I'm as guilty as anyone...

Luke

#22 10 years ago

Can't restart in tournament play, so I do not. Try and get used to developing short game (1 Ball) strategies.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheRingMaster:

I always see it as a practice run if the first ball drains fast, even the second. That's for real pins. On the pinball arcade app it's another thing

Oh man. I'm the Pinball Arcade rage-restart champion. Glad I'm not the only one that does that.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

So? Do you do it?

Nope, I play through.....because many of my best games happen on ball 3

#25 10 years ago

My two balls are fine.
    Thanks for asking

#26 10 years ago

I've had WAY too many high scores racked up on one or two balls to think about ditching a game after a shitty one. I'm not sure I've ever had a single game where at least one ball DIDN'T suck.

#27 10 years ago

It only takes one good ball.

Lance-Armstrong-points_AFP_0.jpgLance-Armstrong-points_AFP_0.jpg

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from wellarmed:

well i cant go that far, every once in a while i will get carried away and i wonder how the machine did not tip over i tilted so bad. oops

#29 10 years ago

Very rarely. Some of my best games have been on games where Ball 1 was pathetic...

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

So? Do you do it?
    What about your 2nd Ball......realize its hopeless and start again?
    I, myself, am guilty of both.

I used to on occassion, but then I found myself having some monster games when I played them out. It always sucks to have a bad ball, but if you can follow it up with some stellar ones, get a couple of EBs, it doesn't mean the entire game has to suck. Plus, I like not starting new games because I play competitively alot and you can't do that in competition. Obviously, things don't always go perfectly in tournaments, so you need to have experience on how to deal with those situations too.

#31 10 years ago

On ACDC in particular, I have a personal threshold that if I miss on ball 1, will get a quick restart...

That game can be frustrating enough without getting off to a slow start

ESPECIALLY if, in my completely objective estimation, it was a bullshit drain!

#32 10 years ago

When I'm playing alone I tend to play two player games and compete against myself. Sometimes I'll play a mini tournament between player one and player two across several pins.

So I don't restart on bad balls. Fun to try to recover.

#33 10 years ago

and a few good PEDs...

#34 10 years ago

Like TAM said above, you never know, ball 3 might be epic. However once in a while where I will do nothing in the second 2 balls but practice my pathetic flipper skills. Lots of missed bounce passes and fumbled drop catches normally happen in those.

And of course, shutting off the "buy in" buttons. On my Demo Man when I got it I kept hitting it, and the scores were really lopsided because that buy in gives you all the locks with multiball ready. So all of a sudden a pathetic game turns into a billion points.

#35 10 years ago

It took me a long time to realize that if you hold the "start" button in on most Stern games, it starts over.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

It took me a long time to realize that if you hold the "start" button in on most Stern games, it starts over.

Bally/Wiliiams/DE/etc too...not only Sterns...

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Bally/Wiliiams/DE/etc too...not only Sterns...

Didn't know this.... thanks!

#38 10 years ago

If you say you never restart you're most likely a liar.
    I'm a second bad ball restarter ...when nobody is looking of course.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

This is why you turn that quick restart feature off. Then you can't restart, even if you want too

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I've never restarted, and I am not lying. Almost all of my best scores have been put up on the 2nd or 3rd ball. It only takes one or two good balls sometimes, and it isn't always The first one.

Besides, if you give up after 1 bad ball, you are most likely a quitter.

#41 10 years ago

I don't restart, I like trying to "save" a game to make it respectable.

My wife does though, often.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

Never restart. All it takes is one epic ball to make or break a game.

Right on, restarts are just a bad practice if you want to be a serious player. However, if you just play pinball for fun, I don't really see restarting as a problem. Just keep in mind that it takes a massive amount of patience to be a good player.

#43 10 years ago

I'd be lying if I said I never do it. I try not to, but sometimes I can't help myself. Like so many others have already said, I've had some of my best games ever on ball three.

#44 10 years ago

I agree that the best ball can be the last with two crappy balls in a row. But, if I plunge the ball and it goes STDM with one flip, I will restart. Not much different than ball save on more modern machines....

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

This is why you turn that quick restart feature off. Then you can't restart, even if you want too

Most games don't have a quick restart "feature". We just use the power switch regardless.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

No. I have had some of my highest scores on games where ball 1 (or 1 and 2) sucked ass.
    Chris

Afterwards do you go through the range of emotions, first the god like rush of achieving a good score after busting 1 or 2 balls followed by the "what might have been score" if all the balls were golden downer. Such an emotional roller coaster hobby eh.....deep.

#47 10 years ago

What's the point of restarting after your first or second ball you never know your third could be a good ball
    It's always better the play without restarting
    That's just my opinion

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from wellarmed:

I don't even press the start button! I just look at it and get GC every time!

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

I don't even press the start button! I just look at it and get GC every time!

Youd have to get GC when the powers off to really impress me

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Youd have to get GC when the powers off to really impress me

Or stare at a NIB and get GC to Impress me !

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-i-gotta-know-do-you-restart-a-game-if-you-had-a-crappy-1st-or-2nd-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.