(Topic ID: 207835)

Ok, I give up.....what game are these for?

By Dayhuff

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180121_095405 (resized).jpg
20180121_095459 (resized).jpg
20180121_100158 (resized).jpg
20180121_095507 (resized).jpg
zloating-flippers-1 (resized).jpg
z30x (resized).jpg
IMG_0079 (resized).JPG
IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
IMG_0077 (resized).JPG
IMG_0076 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I got five of these (so far) four have the shaft and the fifth one does not. But what throws me is the piece attached to the top of them. They look factory, so what are they for?

John

IMG_0076 (resized).JPGIMG_0076 (resized).JPG

IMG_0077 (resized).JPGIMG_0077 (resized).JPG

IMG_0078 (resized).JPGIMG_0078 (resized).JPG

IMG_0079 (resized).JPGIMG_0079 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Huh. That's interesting. Any clues as to a manufacturer?

Those flippers seem unusually long and thin.

Are they even actually for a pinball machine, or maybe something else that had a flipper or two stuffed into it?

#3 6 years ago

If anybody would know my money is on Steve Young at PBR....

#4 6 years ago

There 3" long and resemble a Bally flipper but on the other hand they might be Williams.

John

#5 6 years ago

was thinking of something with a partially hidden flipper, like blackwater 100, but its not it. those look old, i am stumped

#6 6 years ago

They look super narrow the ends...

#7 6 years ago

Nope, just your standard Williams looking flipper with that piece mounted to the top. I could try and take the piece off just to see if it screws into the plastic only or if it goes all the way through into the crank part.

John

#8 6 years ago

Whatever fits into the top part has to move slightly because that piece doesn't line up with the flipper shaft.

#9 6 years ago

made by someone who wanted to put the flipper mech above the playfield?

#10 6 years ago

Definitely looks factory.

Structural support?

The under cut in the top part of the shaft looks like a mount point for a flipper return spring.

Looks like all 4 are for one side. Left? Or Right?

#11 6 years ago

Is the flipper shaft the same length as any normal EM flippers?

#12 6 years ago

Anything with a partially obscured flipper and an animation that goes with the flipper? That could explain why the cam like piece... but got no clue what the game was. At first I was think of how cool it might be to use the flipper to animate something... then it occurred to me it would be incredibly annoying given how often you flip in pinball... so maybe not

#13 6 years ago

It kind of looks factory but maybe not. I'm guessing, but maybe it was fabricated for a home brew game. See pics for what I'm thinking about.

Do you have any history on it? Where did you find them?

z30x (resized).jpgz30x (resized).jpg

zloating-flippers-1 (resized).jpgzloating-flippers-1 (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

Yes there all for the same side which is just what I happen to have and the shafts are normal factory length. I acquired them in a bulk buyout deal from another long time collector that I've known for over 20 years but I can't ask him.......
I get what your saying Mr. 68 but then why the long shaft at the bottom? I know to hold it in the bushing but still? Seems like a lot of trouble to reinvent the wheel/flipper unless they were not using electricity to power the flipper? It does look factory though that's for sure.

John

#15 6 years ago

Could it be from the Williams slot toppers. You know the wired playfields that were wired into the slots. If I could get to mine , i would snap a picture.

Or remember Expo back at the Ramada when Williams had the large collage of parts thrown together in a rectangular box assembly.

Just a thought.

#16 6 years ago

I didn't think that was Williams that did that collage, I thought that was Clay and his buddies that did those?
I don't know what the wired playfields are that your talking about though?

John

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

unless they were not using electricity to power the flipper

That's the direction I was thinking. A rubber band fashioned on that top notch somehow to return flippers to the set position.

Interesting mystery you have here John. Good luck.

#18 6 years ago

I too have an extra long shaft that requires extra support. I like the way this designer thinks

#19 6 years ago

Williams Post Time. The flipper is used as a ball diverter. You have to set it as the feature of the game. When you get a horseshoe there is a coil that pulls in and pulls the flipper to close access to the drain. It then returns the ball back to play via its own kickback. Once a point is scored the coil releases and will allow the ball to drain.

20180121_095507 (resized).jpg20180121_095507 (resized).jpg

20180121_100158 (resized).jpg20180121_100158 (resized).jpg

20180121_095459 (resized).jpg20180121_095459 (resized).jpg

20180121_095405 (resized).jpg20180121_095405 (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from fastford02:

Williams Post Time. The flipper is used as a ball diverter. You have to set it as the feature of the game. When you get a horseshoe there is a coil that pulls in and pulls the flipper to close access to the drain. It then returns the ball back to play via its own kickback. Once a point is scored the coil releases and will allow the ball to drain.

Nice! That's actually a seriously cool feature.

#21 6 years ago

That is epically bizarre....wow....

#22 6 years ago

This is the add a ball version of Paddock. You can set Post Time to award added balls that function like any other add a ball game. In this instance the lit horseshoes on the glass would be like having lit wows on a Gottlieb game. Or you can set the award for a horseshoe to kick the ball back onto the playfield. I have it set for this because it is feature you don't see often. You can have multiple horseshoes lit and that diverter flipper will just stay energized until you use the last one.

#23 6 years ago

Ding ding ding and we have a winner!! Thanks for solving the mystery. If you want them I can ship them to you free of charge, just need your address.

Thanks again,
John

#25 6 years ago

Shipped the flippers out today. You should see them soon Chad.

John

4 weeks later
#27 6 years ago

Thats it. Thanks

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-i-give-upwhat-game-are-these-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.