Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pinwow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

If you use oil based pens for playfield touchup, do you use Sharpie brand or another brand?

Thank you.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from rdrapeau3171:

If you use oil based pens for playfield touchup, do you use Sharpie brand or another brand?
Thank you.

I use these:

https://www.pinrestore.com/PaintPens.html

Make sure you match the finish (matte vs gloss)

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I use these:
https://www.pinrestore.com/PaintPens.html
Make sure you match the finish (matte vs gloss)

Have you ever gotten a playfield clearcoated after using them? Think it’ll clear fine? I have some very minor touchups I have to do on a playfield that I want to send and get automotive cleared

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinwow:

Have you ever gotten a playfield clearcoated after using them? Think it’ll clear fine? I have some very minor touchups I have to do on a playfield that I want to send and get automotive cleared

I usually use them for cabinet touch ups; I don’t trust myself to do playfield touchups! I imagine they would be fine, but it depends on the type of clear used, and how well the playfield was prepared in order for the paint to adhere

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I usually use them for cabinet touch ups; I don’t trust myself to do playfield touchups! I imagine they would be fine, but it depends on the type of clear used, and how well the playfield was prepared in order for the paint to adhere

Oh cool, are you using them to touch up over painted cabinets or decal’d cabinets, or both? Do you just clean the cabinet and then use the paint markers? Have to seal the paint on somehow? Thanks

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinwow:

Oh cool, are you using them to touch up over painted cabinets or decal’d cabinets, or both? Do you just clean the cabinet and then use the paint markers? Have to seal the paint on somehow? Thanks

Depends - if it's just a quick touch-up, I'll run it over the cabinet and pass a heat gun over it REALLY briefly to set the paint. This also helps get the matte finish needed. The fat tip paint pens aren't great for detailed touch-ups, but the black works great for most nondescript cabinet areas.

Yes, ALWAYS clean the cabinets. Use a tiny amount of the Green cleaner, or something non-toxic and non-agressive/abrasive. Most of the junk on the cabinets will come right off - but you want to remove smoke stains, oils, etc. as well.

I've not had to touch up any decaled cabinets - it's always been old WPC games so they are screen printed. (not sure if you meant games with restoration decals, or maybe vs. older games which have stenciled cabinets)

The heat gun just helps dry it and seal it. If you really want to get serious, you can get paint that is specifically made by design to be sealed by heat. That stuff almost never comes off, but it's more expensive and usually not necessary unless you're working on a playfield.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Depends - if it's just a quick touch-up, I'll run it over the cabinet and pass a heat gun over it REALLY briefly to set the paint. This also helps get the matte finish needed. The fat tip paint pens aren't great for detailed touch-ups, but the black works great for most nondescript cabinet areas.
Yes, ALWAYS clean the cabinets. Use a tiny amount of the Green cleaner, or something non-toxic and non-agressive/abrasive. Most of the junk on the cabinets will come right off - but you want to remove smoke stains, oils, etc. as well.
I've not had to touch up any decaled cabinets - it's always been old WPC games so they are screen printed. (not sure if you meant games with restoration decals, or maybe vs. older games which have stenciled cabinets)
The heat gun just helps dry it and seal it. If you really want to get serious, you can get paint that is specifically made by design to be sealed by heat. That stuff almost never comes off, but it's more expensive and usually not necessary unless you're working on a playfield.

Thank you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oil-based-pens and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.