(Topic ID: 41955)

Ohio show mini review?(STERN unofficial announcements)

By corvair61

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PinB
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

conan.gif
the-cat-out-the-bag.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Just spent the entire day at the Ohio show and met a ton of cool new people from surrounding areas and from Pinside. Met up with Keith, Andy, Marvin, Nick, Ed, Frank, John Dayhuff and a bunch of others. Great guys..

- Mixed feelings on the pins themselves (ill save that thread for someone else)
- Felt like more pins and more people than last year!
- Marvin, Kidforce and Cadillac Music supplied what seemed to be the vast majority of pins there.
- Not a lot of A-list titles (No ToM, TZ, IJ, MM, MB, SS, TSPP, FH and probably others i forgot) Maybe they will show up tomorrow
- WOZ was a letdown for me personally (not a code issue... SLOW)
- Bathrooms still wet
- BEER!
- More females in attendance than I remember last year
- Left with sore fingers and feet!
*** A VERY reliable source informed me today of two interesting tidbits of info:

1) Stern is definitely doing Metallica and Star Trek
2) This years Stern releases will NOT have new displays... Stern is holding off until next years releases
3) XMEN code updates are coming out next week for sure!

If March 10 rolls around and no code updates then I will get ready to be quoted/flamed liberally

I can tell you that this source has no reason to make this news up but he wanted to remain anonymous. Big news for a lot of people if its true!!

See you next year at the show!

#2 11 years ago

Great day at the show . Pleasure to meet you Micah. Woz is an amazing pin ,talked to its designer ,quality,quality,quality!! I know a bunch of people are saying its slow,but remember these proto's have to stay nice and run great till the product ships. Do you really think they are going to dial them in at high speed for show......doubt it.
All the pins this year seemed to play well (for the most part) people were great! I landed a couple of great pins.
And a special hats off to James from pinball inc .purchased several ramps from him .absolute pleasure to deal with. Suppliers like that make this hobby so much better.
Oh yea nice flying pig ,is I hot

#3 11 years ago

James, first class, first class stuff.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Dammit ! two games that I think I'll want and two games I don't have money for , hoping one would be a rumor so I could posibly get the other.

#5 11 years ago

Spent Thursday and Friday there, great time. A few observations.......

1. Vendors were awesome. It's great to be able to go to a show and not only hand pick parts you need and think you might need, but talking to the owners is great too.
2. Keep the dart boards that were for sale section home. 10 dart boards for sale taking up an entire corner was taking up way too much space that could have had 10 to 12 more pins.
3. The shows promoters and tournament staff do an amazing job with this show. My hats off to them. A pleasure to deal with and talk to, great guys.
4. Although it is a dump, I think the building is fine for what the show is. A lot of traffic, a lot of machines and a lot of in and out during winter months. The building suits the time of year, easy access in and out and is large enough to accomodate everyone.
5. Fix the water problem in the bathrooms for crying out loud. A good cleaning wouldn't hurt either.
6. Lastly, a big thanks should go out to everyone who brought machines this year. Your efforts are appreciated, wouldn't be a show without that. I'm bringing one next year without question to contribute.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Just spent the entire day at the Ohio show and met a ton of cool new people from surrounding areas and from Pinside. Met up with Keith, Andy, Marvin, Nick, Ed, Frank, John Dayhuff and a bunch of others. Great guys..
- Mixed feelings on the pins themselves (ill save that thread for someone else)
- Felt like more pins and more people than last year!
- Marvin, Kidforce and Cadillac Music supplied what seemed to be the vast majority of pins there.
- Not a lot of A-list titles (No ToM, TZ, IJ, MM, MB, SS, TSPP, FH and probably others i forgot) Maybe they will show up tomorrow
- WOZ was a letdown for me personally (not a code issue... SLOW)
- Bathrooms still wet
- BEER!
- More females in attendance than I remember last year
- Left with sore fingers and feet!
*** A VERY reliable source informed me today of two interesting tidbits of info:
2) This years Stern releases will NOT have new displays... Stern is holding off until next years releases
3) XMEN code updates are coming out next week for sure!
If March 10 rolls around and no code updates then I will get ready to be quoted/flamed liberally
I can tell you that this source has no reason to make this news up but he wanted to remain anonymous. Big news for a lot of people if its true!!
See you next year at the show!

I agree on WOZ was ready to order one but just did not do it for me. As for the A-lists I agree but then again I guess I am part of the problem I was bringing my TZ and TOM but they both sold this week but sure thought there would be a few TZ's or was hoping a SS.

#7 11 years ago

Forget to mention my source revealed that the Metallic pin will be themed with early material from the band and a Justice For All premium/LE. Oh snap

#8 11 years ago

Hello all,
Just got back from the Ohio show. There were more machines and people this year but a lot of stuff selling quickly. The bathroom flooded (as usual) and the usual friends and vendors. Many thanks to pacak and Marvin for putting it on. Many thanks to John Dayhuff for bringing my RS playfield back and the space to sell some playfields.
I brought the Bally Time Zone as it it easy to move,transport and set up, the thing is bullet proof and logged over a 800 plays in 3 days, thanks to phoebe and larry,for all thier help esp. for a reg. screw driver and taking care of my hand cart. Thanks to Mark Combs for a beautiful POTO, I cant wait to set it up in my favorite row beautiful job on that Mark.
I was not a fan of the wizard of Oz simply because it was to damn bright, I could not follow the ball and It seemed to me just to be to crowded on the playfield. FWIW I thought the game was fun to play,well manufactured and beautiful in its artwork, just not my cup of tea, but thanks to JJ for making it. I bought a playfield and the thing is beautiful because I dont have room for any more machines so I collect playfields.
Overall I had a great time as usual and enjoyed the people and machines, pinheads that I know from around the mid-west are great people and I thank you for your friendship,skills and plethora of pinball knowledge that keep my dumb ass in working pins,god bless you all
roger hord

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Forget to mention my source revealed that the Metallic pin will be themed with early material from the band and a Justice For All premium/LE. Oh snap

I really hope this is true.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

F-(k yes. Although I'd prefer a "Kill 'Em All" LE, I know there was no chance in hell of that happening.

Post edited by absocountry2 : Profanity edited

#11 11 years ago

I really hope that Metallica is more like GNR and not a jukebox style like ACDC. I love ACDC but they gotta mix it up!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I really hope that Metallica is more like GNR and not a jukebox style like ACDC. I love ACDC but they gotta mix it up!

John Borg designed GnR. So I'm sure he is more influenced by himself than by Steve Ritchie.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

John Borg designed GnR. So I'm sure he is more influenced by himself than by Steve Ritchie.

That's a loaded statement considering Borg's reputation with borrowing layouts

#14 11 years ago

I hope it's nothing like GNR.

#15 11 years ago

I was told by someone I feel knows what is going on at Stern that the X-Men code should be coming out when they go into production again on the pro version. Not sure when that is but that is what I was told

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

) This years Stern releases will NOT have new displays... Stern is holding off until next years releases

Do you think the source is reliable,If so I guess it takes more time to get this new system and LCD ready than they thought,which is kind of the same problem that JJP is having.

#17 11 years ago

VERY reliable source.. VERY. He showed me Borgs number among other big names in the industry. But considering who he (the source) is attached to, I believe him. Yes i know... it could be anybody's name and number.

#18 11 years ago

Source is GASP!!!!!! DEREK

#19 11 years ago

I think I'm gonna have to pre-order the LE

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from rshofcols:

Hello all,
Just got back from the Ohio show. There were more machines and people this year but a lot of stuff selling quickly. The bathroom flooded (as usual) and the usual friends and vendors. Many thanks to pacak and Marvin for putting it on. Many thanks to John Dayhuff for bringing my RS playfield back and the space to sell some playfields.
I brought the Bally Time Zone as it it easy to move,transport and set up, the thing is bullet proof and logged over a 800 plays in 3 days, thanks to phoebe and larry,for all thier help esp. for a reg. screw driver and taking care of my hand cart. Thanks to Mark Combs for a beautiful POTO, I cant wait to set it up in my favorite row beautiful job on that Mark.
I was not a fan of the wizard of Oz simply because it was to damn bright, I could not follow the ball and It seemed to me just to be to crowded on the playfield. FWIW I thought the game was fun to play,well manufactured and beautiful in its artwork, just not my cup of tea, but thanks to JJ for making it. I bought a playfield and the thing is beautiful because I dont have room for any more machines so I collect playfields.
Overall I had a great time as usual and enjoyed the people and machines, pinheads that I know from around the mid-west are great people and I thank you for your friendship,skills and plethora of pinball knowledge that keep my dumb ass in working pins,god bless you all
roger hord

my gf and i were close to buying that poto but didn't want to pull the trigger on spending the money just yet. If you ever want to sell it, let me know!

#21 11 years ago

uh oh

the-cat-out-the-bag.jpgthe-cat-out-the-bag.jpg

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

4. Although it is a dump, I think the building is fine for what the show is. A lot of traffic, a lot of machines and a lot of in and out during winter months. The building suits the time of year, easy access in and out and is large enough to accomodate everyone.

Frankly, it's a little sad, considering what other shows are able to get and the amount they charge for entry.

5. Fix the water problem in the bathrooms for crying out loud. A good cleaning wouldn't hurt either.

Good cleaning? They need to be blown up and redone. Heck, I doubt they rarely see a cleaning. At the very least, they could offer free tetanus shots for those brave enough to touch anything there.

#23 11 years ago

Thanks for the updates guys!

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

So the 1993 STTNG now has a color display...but the new 2013 Star Trek will be the same old monochrome?

I find that amazing, frankly.

The new Star Trek has a LOT to live up to, so I hope it's not just another Ritchie design we've already seen before (again).

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

So the 1993 STTNG now has a color display...but the new 2013 Star Trek will be the same old monochrome?
I find that amazing, frankly. The new Star Trek has a LOT to live up to, so I hope it's not just another Ritchie design we've already seen before (again).

A new pinball, regardless of the outdated tech or not... is still a great day in pinball history.

#26 11 years ago

Soooo tired of hearing the whining about the bathrooms...You paid $15 to play pin ball ALL DAY!!! Get over it !!!

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Soooo tired of hearing the whining about the bathrooms...You paid $15 to play Pin Ball ALL DAY!!! Get over it !!!

The whole place needs to be condemned due to numerous code violations. They even served food in the venue fully knowing the state of the building. Bet a Building / Health inspector would have had a field day in there. Maybe they get around that for only being used a few times out of the year, who knows.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

conan.gifconan.gif

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ohio-show-mini-reviewstern-unofficial-announcements and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.