(Topic ID: 283461)

Ohhhhhhhhh them EM prices... *banjo strum* what does it mean?

By NicoVolta

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

009BAB92-2319-4FA1-8DB4-2B13796F539E (resized).jpeg
    20201223_152745 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    D852FA97-2B80-4831-8791-666187EE9506 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN7365 (resized).JPG
    A9F713E3-4044-4A32-98FD-B42552716E8F (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20201210-175433_Chrome (resized).jpg
    769499B5-EB9D-4C4F-8F97-48CC43E9320D (resized).jpeg
    638CFD2F-F73B-4008-BB5A-57F3CE82A137 (resized).jpeg
    7F2C407F-1FD0-4A5B-AE82-117638A2B14F (resized).jpeg
    0E070642-5C7C-4871-8769-CE98B8923C39 (resized).jpeg
    happy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 3 years ago

I got a similar sense of urgency... About three years ago? Right as I started to notice CL postings declining. So I started buying everything that looked vaguely interesting. Had a big pile of projects in the garage. But that pile is all gone now. All fixed and added to the collection or sold.

Pickings have been getting real slim lately too. Can't remember the last time I saw a slightly desirable title under $600. I don't know what Levi is seeing but I'm not. I assume we're watching the same area...

Luckily wish list is getting slim as well. Mostly rare games that I've never seen for sale, or will never be able to afford anyway

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Newbies? THey don't want them, and even if they could they couldn't get them going.

I think it is mostly newbies. I see a "just got my first machine!" post on facebook with some random B tier EM every other day it seems. Some people are learning how to fix them... I've got three 'newer' collectors of solid state/DMD games I know out here (started collecting past year or two, teaching themselves repair) and they all have an itch to add an EM or two to the collection. The newer players in general seem much less focused on newer games to me, compared to all the late 90s/2000s collectors I know who have collections of nothing but modern games and WPCs

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

All I know is that I'd much rather play an EM against Keith than a modern game. The newer the game, the further the experts pull way, way ahead of the beginners.

Last time I played Elwin on an EM... I had 110k, he had 220k. Time before that, I had 15k, he had 90k.

8 games total across two pinburghs, my only win was on a JJP PotC

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The whole “A-list” concept doesn’t really
    Apply to EMs. There are thousands of EMs out there and they almost all share the same value.

Totally disagree. There's a ton of EMS that no one likes and that are probably <700 fully working. C tier. Then there's a bunch of games that maybe you could get 1k for a nice one. B tier. And then there's stuff like Fireball, Wizard where you can get 1-2k. There's probably even a D tier of unloved 60s games and wood rails

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

With a few notable exceptions EMs are all worth the same thing.

Could you list those notable exceptions?

And then title that list?

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

Little Chief is probably a 500 to 600 game.

Right now that's probably pretty accurate, but I think it's a sleeper... I'd take a Little Chief over a Skyrocket

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

When it comes to my friends who know pinball, and know how to play the game with the rulesets in mind, we LOVE competing on EMs. Turnaround is just so fast; no one has enough time getting bored. Don't get me wrong, we all love playing AFM, but it has long ball times and no one wants to sit around watching each other hammer away at the same shots for 20 minutes before it's someone else's turn.

Yep, I'm feeling the same there. If a friend's visiting and they choose one of my modern sterns I sorta groan, we're going to be sitting there forever waiting for each person's turn. I enjoy them for playing by myself, but for hanging with friends I much prefer games with shorter (<1:30) ball times

2 months later
    #138 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Even after so many zany pinball adventures crossing the continent, I still haven't been able to get into woodrails.

The gameplay is slow, really dislike gobble holes, and most rulesets center around "lighting up all the stuff" to earn specials which I find rather dull. I much prefer playing for points and having to find and tabulate the score every time is an additional annoyance.

I'm trying to get into them too, but they're hard to find, and even harder to know what ones will be fun to play or not since it's nearly impossible to get time on many of them) unlike many 70s ems)

I need to get back to fixing my Straight Shooter. Four flippers, plays fast, option for points instead of specials, and a "line up the lights" ruleset instead of "light all the things", feels like it should have potential.

I have the same issue even with many 60s games, trying to discern which ones will play fun and which won't without any opportunity to play them. I think a similar thing will happen with ems. Popular 70s games like grand prix will continue to command good and prices for a long time, but the ones people don't talk about or have in barcades or at shows will be forgotten more, and have the same thing happen to them that wood rails have where most players don't even really know they exist

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Points were not a substitute for replays. Some games had "points" as well as your "score", and both could award replays when a certain threshhold was reached for either points or score.

My Straight Shooter has a jones plug to award 500,000 points instead of a replay for special

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

That would be 500,000 added to your "score". Points were a completely different thing. On some woodrails, you had a score and you would accumulate "points". Both could award credits if the threshhold was made.

Yes, and the unit for score is 'points' in all games except, apparently, some other gottlieb woodrails which made a distinction.

2 years later
    #176 10 months ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Meanwhile, did anyone get the $200 Dimension? Seeing some good pre-pandemic prices pop up lately… though some sellers with “ok” games are still stuck on the high side.

How about *you* get the $200 dimension... and then bring it to york for me for $400?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ohhhhhhhhh-them-em-prices-banjo-strum-what-does-it-mean?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.