(Topic ID: 283461)

Ohhhhhhhhh them EM prices... *banjo strum* what does it mean?

By NicoVolta

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

009BAB92-2319-4FA1-8DB4-2B13796F539E (resized).jpeg
    20201223_152745 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    D852FA97-2B80-4831-8791-666187EE9506 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN7365 (resized).JPG
    A9F713E3-4044-4A32-98FD-B42552716E8F (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20201210-175433_Chrome (resized).jpg
    769499B5-EB9D-4C4F-8F97-48CC43E9320D (resized).jpeg
    638CFD2F-F73B-4008-BB5A-57F3CE82A137 (resized).jpeg
    7F2C407F-1FD0-4A5B-AE82-117638A2B14F (resized).jpeg
    0E070642-5C7C-4871-8769-CE98B8923C39 (resized).jpeg
    happy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 3 years ago

Great post. Definitely see the writing on the wall as well in the BC, Canada region.

I have always felt there is a huge misconception for EMs in general. I mean, many rare EMs constitute the highest valuations, yet people see them as being worth less than SS?

Also, ALL of the $50 - $100 specials are basically ones that have sat in someones shed for 20 years... and somehow, this project valuation seems to stick in the head of people translates to EMs being worth that.. this is stupid.

The fact is, a pinball is a pinball. Like with SS, condition and desirability is king. I would argue that the window for finding your A-list EM has mostly closed already... sometimes, we still get lucky, or the local yokums don't know what they have in their backyard, which I guess is one of the points of your OP. In your case, it sounds like that's the case.. local flippers just know they can't flip enough profit on it without actually doing any work.

Glad the machine found a good home!

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

At the time of this writing, I'm 29. All my friends are roughly the same age, and we all play pinball. I have zero nostalgia for EM games, same goes for my friends. However, we all play EMs, and we all enjoy them. Like, genuinely enjoy them. My EM Cleopatra and Surf Champ probably gets just as much play as my White Water does sitting across the room. Same goes for Jacks Open and Atlantis. My case is purely anecdotal though, so take it for what it's worth.
    I think the "good" games will always be seen as good--regardless of generation or nostalgia. They'll always be desired. There will always be demand. Kinda like how Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" will always be a good song. Sometimes things transcend generations.

Totally. You have to be pretty old to actually have nostlagia for an EM. 50+ anyway? You totally hit it with this post. Not about the nostlagia, the games are just fun, and the art of Parker and Morison in particular, just seems to age really well. My son hates new sterns, but we play Grand Prix just about daily. Go figure.

2 months later
    #135 3 years ago

Wish I knew where these cheap wood rails you are speaking of are...

The only ones I heard about for cheap are serious projects.. otherwise any flippered woodrail in fair working condition/complete seems to be highly desirable, and much more bids / value than any B-list Wedgehead anyway.

[edit] I should add that just like any pinball.. all are not equal.. there are of course, a huge gambit of flippered wood rails of various desirability... I'm talking about desirable ones... DRAGONETTE and Buccaneer come to mind as I've seen them recently...

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Most woodrails have the ability to change to a novelty mode where you score points instead of specials. Sometimes just a Jones plug change, often a spring change on the replay unit (for older games).
    Woodrails have some very deep rulesets and the thing I like about them most is that you can approach the same game, with 5 different winning objectives, and still lose. Being able to change your strategy on the fly is very valuable to me (some games you just can't light that -one- insert! But you can hit the A-B-C-D targets), and something I treasure with other thinking pingames like bingos.

Exactly.. I had recently come across some of this guys videos.. he does a nice job of explaining the woodrails.. and clearly has access to some gems!

2 years later
    #191 9 months ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I'm picking up two decent EM's this week. $300. For both.
    Big Chief and Paul Bunyan.

I'm glad you snagged them. I kind of dislike those 'deals', love how they can bring good people in.. but they can also just be flipper bait where you see them posted a couple hours later at an inflated price... twang.

Point is, even needing work, those machines would be gone at twice that price likely just as quickly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ohhhhhhhhh-them-em-prices-banjo-strum-what-does-it-mean?tu=koji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.