(Topic ID: 283461)

Ohhhhhhhhh them EM prices... *banjo strum* what does it mean?

By NicoVolta

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

009BAB92-2319-4FA1-8DB4-2B13796F539E (resized).jpeg
    20201223_152745 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    D852FA97-2B80-4831-8791-666187EE9506 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN7365 (resized).JPG
    A9F713E3-4044-4A32-98FD-B42552716E8F (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20201210-175433_Chrome (resized).jpg
    769499B5-EB9D-4C4F-8F97-48CC43E9320D (resized).jpeg
    638CFD2F-F73B-4008-BB5A-57F3CE82A137 (resized).jpeg
    7F2C407F-1FD0-4A5B-AE82-117638A2B14F (resized).jpeg
    0E070642-5C7C-4871-8769-CE98B8923C39 (resized).jpeg
    happy (resized).jpg
    There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 3 years ago

Remember the days of getting EM's for free out of people's garages? Finding pristine wedgeheads for $50? Or people who would *pay you* to take them away?

Yeah, with rare exceptions, them days are over.

It's 2020 and a lot of people are stuck indoors wanting new projects to work on and personal arcades to build out. However, no one is making any of these glorious mechanical classics anymore. Supply and demand, yanno?

I just bought a Gottlieb 300 project for $650 and was happy to get it. Dusty, needing some tuneups, but good backglass and playfield.

You know where I found it? Facebook Marketplace. It had been there for about five days at $650 asking price.

The guy said he received 28 IM's within the first 30 minutes. WITHIN THE FIRST 30 MINUTES, Y'ALL. All clear so far?

Amazingly, it sat for five days before I picked it up. Can you guess why? Everyone wanted a discount. Offers of $200-$600 all rejected. The guy had $650 in it, and he wanted his $650 back.

Apparently, that magical thrill of "getting a bargain" is so powerful it prevented 28 people from getting a nice EM for a few extra bucks. Now it is mine.

I've been collecting since 2013 and have never seen a price & demand spike with EM's like this before. Back then, it always seemed reasonably possible to get nice projects and great A+ titles every month in the $300-$400 range from Craigslist or even (gasp) eBay:

March: Out of Sight with perfect backglass and playfield for $350? I'll take it.
    April: 2001 with perfect backglass and playfield for $400? I'll take it.
    May: Old Chicago ditto ditto for $300? I'll take it.

In early 2015, it became every-other-month.
    In 2016, it became one per season, maybe.
    In 2017, it was one A+ per year and a few A-/B+'s.
    In 2018, well, you get the picture.

Sure, you might still find someone who is moving and "NEEDS IT GONE RIGHT NOW" or maybe someone who used OfferUp letting you swoop in before anyone else saw the ad. But nowadays, if you see a good game listed around $350, it WILL get swamped and likely overbid within the hour.

Count on it.

That being said, fellow friends and Keepers Of The EM's, now is the time to firm up your wishlist. Do not wait any longer. Build the fleet now. Put them in storage if you must, but hurry up and get them under your wing. Even if you pay premium prices to get a few choice ones from your fellow collectors... do it.

You must also consider our patron saint of pinball parts: Steve Young. He is approaching 80. Still enthusiastic and no sign of slowing down, but, you never know.

Steve Kulpa's pinball pages are now gone. You can view some of them via the Wayback Archive, but this won't be true for Pinball Resource parts. They have unique dies for pop caps and parts not available anywhere else. Your future supply is not guaranteed. Beware.

Get your wishlist games identified and get them acquired. Just do it. Also, go ahead and buy the parts you'll need for them. Order your pop caps and drop targets and target faces right now.

I personally forked out $4500 for pinball parts, legs, etc. earlier this year in advance. It feels good knowing I'll have everything I need to rebuild my entire fleet when the time comes. Or, if I sell one, the buyer will have everything *they* need to finish the restoration. I hate the thought of EM's being out there with no path to restoration (or a long DIY one).

I could be wrong, of course. Maybe everyone will soon forget about pinball? Maybe get sucked into VR worlds instead? I know I'll be doing a massive PC upgrade next year for some awesomely detailed Microsoft Flight Simulator runs. Still, I think EM's are here to stay because they can be rebuilt again and again for generations to come and offer something "real".

If you haven't made a wishlist yet, I recommend using ipdb.org to build it. Create five columns: BUY, MAYBE BUY, PLAY ONLY, ART ONLY, NAH. Then comb through the database year by year and place the titles accordingly. I put each year on a new line in Excel. Works well.

Pardon the long post. Just wanted to convey the urgency. I'm especially sensitive to paradigm shifts whenever it comes to businesses changing/folding... and for some reason my radar alarms are going off in EM-land.

We will be the ones to keep the hobby alive and share with another generation. Something is happening... change is in the air... just sayin'.

happy (resized).jpghappy (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Good advice. I just did my part and paid a grand for this project while driving 11 hours to bring it home. Sellers love me.

0E070642-5C7C-4871-8769-CE98B8923C39 (resized).jpeg0E070642-5C7C-4871-8769-CE98B8923C39 (resized).jpeg7F2C407F-1FD0-4A5B-AE82-117638A2B14F (resized).jpeg7F2C407F-1FD0-4A5B-AE82-117638A2B14F (resized).jpeg
    #3 3 years ago

Thanks Nic. What its done is make hard projects nobody wants desirable for those willing to go deep. No or ruined backglass, rat-eaten wires, scratched all to hell or re-painted.
    I found a half dozen such projects recently the guy wants 65-100 each, going back to get them. A Spanish EM with great backglass and playfield but an oatmeal cabinet. Freedom with 10% left on the backglass and rat gnawed wiring. Several others in like condition.
    Love to work on them during the Winter and in no hurry.

#4 3 years ago

I'm really not seeing it. Still seems pretty easy to get EMs cheap around here. Maybe not $100 cheap but cheap. EMs sit and sit on craigslist here as as well.

Most people just don't want to deal with them, and the demand from the general public seems lower than ever. Every email I get looking for a "cheap game" the "buyer" is always very disappointed when I steer them to an EM. They want "newer faster" games with "ramps."

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Still seems pretty easy to get EMs cheap around here.

I guess it depends on what your definition of cheap is. To some people, $100 is cheap. To others, $1000 is cheap. It's all relative. I largely agree with you though. Seems like whenever I want to sell a nice EM that I've gone through, it's like pulling teeth to find a buyer at $500. But when I'm on the other end trying to buy something, it seems like I'm always fighting other people who want to buy the game out from under me.

At any rate, I have been seeing a surge in pinball desirability. I've picked up 4 EM projects in the last 3 weeks or so, and I had to fight for them harder than I usually have to as a buyer of EMs.

#6 3 years ago

I still offer $200-$250 for a EM, if they take it great if not I move on.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I still offer $200-$250 for a EM, if they take it great if not I move on.

I'm getting a lot pickier on these games for sure. If someone else wants to outbid me on some EM project be my guest.

With a couple exceptions I wouldn't take a Bally for free anymore. Absolutely my least favorite type of EM to work on.

#8 3 years ago

I sold my Space Mission on CL last week for $1,000 cleaned up with full flipper rebuild and mechanics gone through also LEDs. PF had some wear but respectable.

I take that back....the Space Mission sold itself.

Fast forward a few days there is another Space Mission in worse shape on Facebook for $1250-1500 and people are PMing the guy.

Right now I have people knocking the door down on my Rawhide for $600-$800 in fantastic condition.

Yes, I too remember trading a High Speed backglass and a little cash for a HUO condition Hokus Pokus which feels like yesterday.

I wish Steve Young continues to thrive in his business and lives to see the age of 100. But honestly, any of us can go at any time. Businesses can come and go at any time. Steve Young is VERY unique in the way he runs his business. It would be very difficult for someone else to come in and take over. If you are on the fence about placing an order for something, get off that fence and place your order. We are no strangers to losing great people in pinball this year. The sobering truth is, if someone does pass away involved in a larger business, it's relatively easy for someone else to wheel up to a computer and keep things going. Pinball Resource? Might not be so easy. His legacy would continue I'm sure, but there would be growing pains.

NicoVolta hopefully your future travels come up my way would love to compare notes on a few things. Lot of EM enthusiasm up this way too.

#9 3 years ago

I hear the OP loud and clear. A guy found an old pin in his newly acquired barn in the woods/mountains. He was told by the old owner that it works and that was it. There was no key for it anymore, and no way to plug it in to check to see if it started and what worked. He asked 500 for it... I forget the name. The playfield looked good as far as I could tell, but you couldn't see much else.

I offered 300, he said no and that 10 people had already contacted him. He wanted 500 and was sure to get it. I contacted him 1 hour later, he said nearly 30 people had contacted him, one with an offer of his full asking and that it'll be gone soon. If not, he'd call me back. Never did.

This is in the mountains of Vermont!

Yeah, it's crazy out there.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm really not seeing it. Still seems pretty easy to get EMs cheap around here. Maybe not $100 cheap but cheap. EMs sit and sit on craigslist here as as well.
    Most people just don't want to deal with them, and the demand from the general public seems lower than ever. Every email I get looking for a "cheap game" the "buyer" is always very disappointed when I steer them to an EM. They want "newer faster" games with "ramps."

No kiddin'? Seems NY and PA are still dependable for spoiling people with affordable projects. I assume you aren't talking about A-titles in good shape in the $300-ish range like the good old days, eh?

Not seeing it here. Prices up, availability low, lots of people visiting the museum wanting and buying games. Many first-timers and homeowners wanting something classic and fun. We cannot keep enough stock for the interest presented. Then again, we only sell fully rebuilt and tested EM's with a 6-month warranty and ongoing service if needed... that's a big part of the appeal.

Local sales are same-day. A decent Space Time for $350 was snapped up within the hour nearby... didn't have a chance.

The potential parts availability issue is a concern. I'm trying to stay ahead of what I'll need & recommending fellow collectors position themselves now rather than later.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

No kiddin'? Seems NY and PA are still dependable for spoiling people with affordable projects. I assume you aren't talking about A-titles in good shape in the $300-ish range like the good old days, eh?

Naw, you aren't gonna get a Fireball or Captain Fantastic for 300 bucks. But there's a nice Wizard for $800 in NJ on CL right now.

But pretty much anything else - your Azteks, your Target Alphas etc. - $400-500 all day long. I'm part of the reason, I used to buy this shit all day long but what's the point? There'll always be a $400 Palace Guard out there if I really need one!

#12 3 years ago

Prices have gotten competitive for EMs in my area about 5 years or so ago. Anything listed for less than $500 moves real quick. I still manage to pick one up here and there but it's certainly gotten harder.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I sold my Space Mission on CL last week for $1,000 cleaned up with full flipper rebuild and mechanics gone through also LEDs. PF had some wear but respectable.
    I take that back....the Space Mission sold itself.

Yep. We sold a rebuilt Wizard earlier this year for $1500 and the buyer was very happy to get it. He would have paid more.

The market might be a "covid bubble" for all I know. Too many people desperate for something new. But I've never seen enthusiasm like this before. Sales are blowing up around here... and when you have surge, you also (eventually) have parts shortages. For example, Steve is currently out of tall lamp sockets. Never run into this before.

Not suggesting anyone hoard games or parts. Don't do that. Just firm up your wishlist and get the rebuild parts waiting in the queue.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Naw, you aren't gonna get a Fireball or Captain Fantastic for 300 bucks. But there's a nice Wizard for $800 in NJ on CL right now.
    But pretty much anything else - your Azteks, your Target Alphas etc. - $400-500 all day long. I'm part of the reason, I used to buy this shit all day long but what's the point? There'll always be a $400 Palace Guard out there if I really need one!

Well damn, maybe I need to drive a UHAUL up there and load it up like Allentown all over again. BTW, feel free to pass along those free Bally projects if you like.

Sold an Aztec and Big Deal for $800 apiece earlier this year. Same buyer. He wanted more... I didn't have any.

#15 3 years ago

Here’s another example. A Williams Cue-T with playfield wear and a funky Zolotone faux cabinet finish and it’s already at $659 with more than 4 days left in the auction.

ebay.com link: itm

#16 3 years ago

I got a similar sense of urgency... About three years ago? Right as I started to notice CL postings declining. So I started buying everything that looked vaguely interesting. Had a big pile of projects in the garage. But that pile is all gone now. All fixed and added to the collection or sold.

Pickings have been getting real slim lately too. Can't remember the last time I saw a slightly desirable title under $600. I don't know what Levi is seeing but I'm not. I assume we're watching the same area...

Luckily wish list is getting slim as well. Mostly rare games that I've never seen for sale, or will never be able to afford anyway

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Get your wishlist games identified and get them acquired. Just do it.

And don't be too disappointed when you go to sell them, and find out that although they are on others "wishlist", that doesn't mean they have any intention of buying them or paying what you did for them.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just checked CL in NYC and surrounding. Where you seeing 'dat? Lots of $800 Triple Strikes and Miss-O's and other B-titles but nothing A+ in that range. Saw a $1000 Wizard... that's not too bad.

Quoted from zacaj:

I got a similar sense of urgency... About three years ago? Right as I started to notice CL postings declining. So I started buying everything that looked vaguely interesting. Had a big pile of projects in the garage. But that pile is all gone now. All fixed and added to the collection or sold.
    Pickings have been getting real slim lately too. Can't remember the last time I saw a slightly desirable title under $600.
    Luckily wish list is getting slim as well. Mostly rare games that I've never seen for sale, or will never be able to afford anyway

Yep. Wise to listen to your spidey sense back then. In 2015 the bottomless EM well started drying up but still able to trip over the good ones now and again. It's just not happening at all nowadays. Refresh button all day long... either priced absurdly fools gold high or gone in an hour.

I can't shake the sense of urgency for serious collectors; especially those recently bitten by the EM bug. Get those wishlist titles locked in while you can.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And don't be too disappointed when you go to sell them, and find out that although they are on others "wishlist", that doesn't mean they have any intention of buying them or paying what you did for them.

Hey I'm just grateful I could buy back my old Surf Side from you for $1400!

Just paid that much for a nice Pop-A-Card from David Hoover. Rare, good, fun, nice all-round condition game that plays perfectly? Definitely worth it.

I think Zac understands where I'm coming from on this wishlist stuff. It's *highly* curated by now. Already cycled through a ton & only wish for the stuff I really want now and will pay for. It's not "wishing" for a room full of cheap games I've never played before.

#20 3 years ago

I just don't get who are buying these and driving the prices up?

Serious collectors? How could they possibly not have all the EMs they want over the past 20 years when people were giving them away?

Newbies? THey don't want them, and even if they could they couldn't get them going.

Nico - do you have an idea who your competition is for these games lately?

Zac - I'd advise you to hit up Rock Fantasy. Steve has been selling EMs pretty cheap for a year.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Hey I'm just grateful I could buy back my old Surf Side from you for $1400!

You still have it? I thought I sold it to Rat_Tomago. You guys were somewhat neighbors though. Haven't heard from him lately. I guess as far as Gottlieb multiplayers go, that one was as good as they had.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Newbies? THey don't want them, and even if they could they couldn't get them going.

I think it is mostly newbies. I see a "just got my first machine!" post on facebook with some random B tier EM every other day it seems. Some people are learning how to fix them... I've got three 'newer' collectors of solid state/DMD games I know out here (started collecting past year or two, teaching themselves repair) and they all have an itch to add an EM or two to the collection. The newer players in general seem much less focused on newer games to me, compared to all the late 90s/2000s collectors I know who have collections of nothing but modern games and WPCs

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just don't get who are buying these and driving the prices up?
    Serious collectors? How could they possibly not have all the EMs they want over the past 20 years when people were giving them away?
    Zac - I'd advise you to hit up Rock Fantasy. Steve has been selling EMs pretty cheap for a year.

Hard to say. Some may be the EM Evangelist aura following me around. When I left Dallas, at least five new friends went from zero pins to several dozen.

Here in VA I've made a few converts. Part of it is the addictive repair side of it. New people want to join my volunteer team and start turning screwdrivers. Can't do it until covid is beaten back, but they're ready to dive in and already picking up projects.

I dunno. All I can say is that it is encouraging! I love all pinball but a rebuilt & cleared EM is a thing of beauty like none other.

#24 3 years ago

I had never thought about parts scarcity, but I'm not a "full restore" guy. It's rare I'll need something like pop caps or even drop targets.

I have three boxes that used to be parts machines - one bally, one gottlieb, and one williams - and that's usually enough if I'm trying to get an EM working. Next Allentown pick up a couple parts machines you should be in good shape. You guys may be talking restoration but I wouldn't have trouble keeping EM games running even if PBR went away. (PLEASE PBR don't go away!!!!!)

Speaking of Allentown - ALWAYS some well-priced EMs there, never had a problem finding something worth buying for $500 or less. Will be interesting to see if that trend continues when the show comes back.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You still have it? I thought I sold it to Rat_Tomago. You guys were somewhat neighbors though. Haven't heard from him lately. I guess as far as Gottlieb multiplayers go, that one was as good as they had.

Ohhhhhhh that's right. He sold it to you and then bought it back before selling it to me soon afterward.

Agree, for the 1960's decade, Surf Side is Gottlieb's best multiplayer IMHO. Only drawback is that you must have two players. Not so hot with just one.

#26 3 years ago

Glad you are, have been, and will be able to get these EM's, and fix them up!
    I will be even "gladder" when you finally visit NJ

#27 3 years ago

Some of this might be location related. EMs can be a hard sell around here. I've liquidated a few lately for less than I had into them. But then, when I want something gone, I tend take the easy road.

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Agree, for the 1960's decade, it is Gottlieb's best multiplayer IMHO.

I'd agree, but it still comes nowhere near Williams Pit Stop in the love it's gotten here. That one aint never going away. It's earned it's stripes and then some.

#28 3 years ago

Well as a 60 something EM Nubie, I can say it is a Covid project that got me going. Rebuilt two EBD's so far this year. Both dead , in parts, on arrival and got them up and going. Next picked up a Gottlieb Bank Shot for 350. Backglass is peeling, the play field has some planking, it spent some of the last 40 years in a wet basement , but damn, it works once you get electricity from point A to point B. Started from the motor continuously running (and nothing else) to where I would say its about 85 percent now. Just got the bonus stepper working this morning ( cleaned it and the wiper needed to be realigned to its zero point). Maybe I will spend 60 bucks on parts (depends how many light sockets I decide to replace). So far got about 10 days invested in it ,but the first 5 were spinning my wheels learning.

I am getting into EM games , they are fun to play, simpler ,but great games to bet money on with your friends while drinking a few beers. .

638CFD2F-F73B-4008-BB5A-57F3CE82A137 (resized).jpeg638CFD2F-F73B-4008-BB5A-57F3CE82A137 (resized).jpeg769499B5-EB9D-4C4F-8F97-48CC43E9320D (resized).jpeg769499B5-EB9D-4C4F-8F97-48CC43E9320D (resized).jpeg
    #29 3 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

Well as a 60 something EM Nubie, I can say it is a Covid project that got me going. Rebuilt two EBD's so far this year. Both dead , in parts, on arrival and got them up and going. Next picked up a Gottlieb Bank Shot for 350. Backglass is peeling, the play field has some planking, it spent some of the last 40 years in a wet basement , but damn, it works once you get electricity from point A to point B. Started from the motor continuously running (and nothing else) to where I would say its about 85 percent now. Just got the bonus stepper working this morning ( cleaned it and the wiper needed to be realigned to its zero point). Maybe I will spend 60 bucks on parts (depends how many light sockets I decide to replace). So far got about 10 days invested in it ,but the first 5 were spinning my wheels learning.
    I am getting into EM games , they are fun to play, simpler ,but great games to bet money on with your friends while drinking a few beers. .

I'll never beat Keith Elwin at Iron Maiden, but I could on one of my EM's. The equalizing factor and quick gameplay makes it ideal for playing with pals & keeping everyone interested.

#30 3 years ago

Interesting thread. Give Steve some credit though. I don't think he's pushing 80 just yet!

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Interesting thread. Give Steve some credit though. I don't think he's closing in on 80 just yet!

Does anyone know his birthday/age for certain? I recall (hopefully correctly) that he mentioned a number in his mid/upper 70's during my pinball tour and that was 3 1/2 years ago (my, how time flies).

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Agree, for the 1960's decade, Surf Side is Gottlieb's best multiplayer IMHO. Only drawback is that you must have two players. Not so hot with just one.

Hmm, I don't know. "Paradise" and especially "Pleasure Isle" get my vote.

#33 3 years ago

I'm sure the pandemic is helping EM prices. I work for the l world's largest distributor of aftermarket accessories in the powersports industry. Parts for motorcycles/ATVs/snowmobiles etc. We have had our best year on record. Everyone is home focused on their hobbies.

#34 3 years ago

Great post. Definitely see the writing on the wall as well in the BC, Canada region.

I have always felt there is a huge misconception for EMs in general. I mean, many rare EMs constitute the highest valuations, yet people see them as being worth less than SS?

Also, ALL of the $50 - $100 specials are basically ones that have sat in someones shed for 20 years... and somehow, this project valuation seems to stick in the head of people translates to EMs being worth that.. this is stupid.

The fact is, a pinball is a pinball. Like with SS, condition and desirability is king. I would argue that the window for finding your A-list EM has mostly closed already... sometimes, we still get lucky, or the local yokums don't know what they have in their backyard, which I guess is one of the points of your OP. In your case, it sounds like that's the case.. local flippers just know they can't flip enough profit on it without actually doing any work.

Glad the machine found a good home!

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I'll never beat Keith Elwin at Iron Maiden, but I could on one of my EM's. The equalizing factor and quick gameplay makes it ideal for playing with pals & keeping everyone interested.

make no mistakes. Keith would whoop both me and you on an EM just as easily, if not more so, than on his own design. Google it.

#36 3 years ago

This thread makes me want to hold on to what I have. Haven’t purchased an EM for almost 2 years.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

make no mistakes. Keith would whoop both me and you on an EM just as easily, if not more so, than on his own design. Google it.

I'm skeptical. EM layouts and short-ish ball times tend to flatten the peaks and raise the valleys when it comes to skill differentials.

Ted Zale pins can give you several house balls per game, skilled or not.

All I know is that I'd much rather play an EM against Keith than a modern game. The newer the game, the further the experts pull way, way ahead of the beginners.

#38 3 years ago

The whole “A-list” concept doesn’t really
    Apply to EMs. There are thousands of EMs out there and they almost all share the same value.

A Duotron - one fo the worst gottlieb made - is worth the same as a jungle queen, one of the best.

It just doesn’t work like bally 90s games or what have you. There aren’t thousands of people looking for a Strange World, there’s just a few, but there’s also just a few around so it keeps the value relatively high.

There are thousands of Addams Families out there, with even more who want one. You just can’t compare it.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

This thread makes me want to hold on to what I have. Haven’t purchased an EM for almost 2 years.

You get tired of that Volley, it has a home here.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

All I know is that I'd much rather play an EM against Keith than a modern game. The newer the game, the further the experts pull way, way ahead of the beginners.

Last time I played Elwin on an EM... I had 110k, he had 220k. Time before that, I had 15k, he had 90k.

8 games total across two pinburghs, my only win was on a JJP PotC

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Apply to EMs. There are thousands of EMs out there and they almost all share the same value.

Totally disagree. There's a ton of EMS that no one likes and that are probably <700 fully working. C tier. Then there's a bunch of games that maybe you could get 1k for a nice one. B tier. And then there's stuff like Fireball, Wizard where you can get 1-2k. There's probably even a D tier of unloved 60s games and wood rails

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Last time I played Elwin on an EM... I had 110k, he had 220k. Time before that, I had 15k, he had 90k.

Totally disagree. There's a ton of EMS that no one likes and that are probably <700 fully working. C tier. Then there's a bunch of games that maybe you could get 1k for a nice one. B tier. And then there's stuff like Fireball, Wizard where you can get 1-2k. There's probably even a D tier of unloved 60s games and wood rails

Well I totally disagree with you. Boom!!!

With a few notable exceptions EMs are all worth the same thing.

Stop trying to make “A list EM” a thing. That kind of thinking has already ruined half the hobby.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No way man! You smokin' coil wrappers?

Unless it's a personal quest for a nostalgic title, the Atlantii (Atlantisusses?) and the Strange Worlds and so forth command a much higher price premium... you know that. *pshaw*

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

No way man! You smokin' coil wrappers?
    Unless it's a personal quest for a nostalgic title, the Atlantii (Atlantisusses?) and the Strange Worlds and so forth command a much higher price premium... you know that. *pshaw*

It's a handful of outliers, not a "list." Just my opinion.

To have an A list, you'd need a B list and C list, like say, 90s Ballys.

There is no B-list on EMs. THere's no fucking list at all.

Just thousands of old games laying around that are all pretty much all the same, and a handful of rarities that old school collectors will pay more for.

#44 3 years ago

Just paid $750 for a Hot Tip EM in KY and it was 100% ready to go and sat here on pinside for almost 2 weeks. Good EMs are still in the 400-800 range here fully working. Good enough for me.

#45 3 years ago

Yo Levi... here's my current personal inventory of EM's. How much should I price them all the same as?

Abra-Ca-Dabra
    Argosy
    Captain Card
    Dixieland
    Flip Flop
    Flipper Fair
    Freedom prototype
    Jumping Jack
    Little Chief
    Mini Pool
    Old Chicago
    Out Of Sight
    Pioneer
    Pop-A-Card
    Queen's Castle
    Rancho
    Skyrocket
    Snow Derby
    Solids N' Stripes
    Surf Side

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

You get tired of that Volley, it has a home here.

Volley is a great title. Sits right next to Atlantis and 2001. Learned awhile back, don’t sell your drop targets

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Yo Levi... here's my current personal inventory of EM's. How much should I price them all the same as?
    Abra-Ca-Dabra
    Argosy
    Captain Card
    Dixieland
    Flip Flop
    Flipper Fair
    Freedom prototype
    Jumping Jack
    Little Chief
    Mini Pool
    Old Chicago
    Out Of Sight
    Pioneer
    Pop-A-Card
    Queen's Castle
    Rancho
    Skyrocket
    Snow Derby
    Solids N' Stripes
    Surf Side

800-1000 for all of them.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Abra-Ca-Dabra
    Argosy
    Captain Card
    Dixieland
    Flip Flop
    Flipper Fair
    Freedom prototype
    Jumping Jack
    Little Chief
    Mini Pool
    Old Chicago
    Out Of Sight
    Pioneer
    Pop-A-Card
    Queen's Castle
    Rancho
    Skyrocket
    Snow Derby
    Solids N' Stripes
    Surf Side

I see nothing extraordinary on this list (beyond the fact that some are more fun to play than others) and I’d say yes, they all share around the same value.

I figured you’d at least have a fireball or something to throw at me!

I’ve Owned almost every one of those titles.

You may find that one lunatic willing to pay $2k for a Rancho but that’s not really in the equation.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

800-1000 for all of them.

Are you crazy, they’re only EMs. $250 each tops. Jk

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A Duotron - one fo the worst gottlieb made - is worth the same as a jungle queen, one of the best.

http://www.crazylevipinball.com/pinball.php?id=297

Duotron is worth $1799?

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ohhhhhhhhh-them-em-prices-banjo-strum-what-does-it-mean?hl=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.