View topic image gallery

27D034E8-129D-424A-A497-61797631D536 (resized).jpeg
30222001_10213714813317734_4653963874885514038_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
mickey_mouse_attorney_by_cheshireproductions-d6z2lsi (resized).jpg
C8EC3747-CBDB-4664-BADD-5A351481F348 (resized).jpeg
2m6l2yv (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbanthony.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 6 years ago

Yeah, seems like IP protection overkill. I've seen some relatively crappy Chinese made officially licensed Star Wars toys, etc., that were ok but certainly not stellar. Not sure why they have chosen to give Stern such a hard ass time about something that is a low volume niche product.

1 week later
#17 6 years ago

There are already R2D2 robots, spaceships, etc that could be incorporated into a topper by an enterprising 3rd party. Seems like a missed opportunity for someone to make money. It’s kind of amazing there are none.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Licensing for Star Wars is the absolute worst to deal with. The approval process is ridiculous. Lucas / Disney take there Intellectual property very seriously. If you are off even a shade from there list of approved colors you will be denied approval. We need a topper for this game. Stern if you are listening please play nice and get this thing approved. My SWLE is the only game out of my entire collection that does not have a topper. Interactive animated R2D2 Topper will make this already great game near perfect.
Going crazy I am. Hurry you must!

I don't see why someone can't put together a generic hyperspace background and put an existing M. Falcon model on it with a few lights and call it a day. Doesn't seem like it has to be that difficult. People buy and resell existing SW spaceships that are modded all the time without any issues that I'm aware of. A generic hyperspace, space, or asteroid background doesn't need to be licensed. If I were in the business of making/selling pinball mods, I'd have had this offered 6 months ago for $299 and making a 50% gross margin and pocketing at least $15K.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-Millennium-Falcon-Bluetooth-Speaker/110157371?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2641&adid=22222222227042923048&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=91602447410&wl4=aud-261800281900:pla-214001360690&wl5=9007243&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113719266&wl11=online&wl12=110157371&wl13=&veh=sem

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Speaking for myself and probably a few others, I have ZERO interest in a homemade topper from the community, or one of the modders. I want an game interactive topper from Stern that is badass.

So there is no market for a topper between zero and $499? I already have an R2D2 that lights up, beeps, and turns its head; not that excited for the Stern topper. Speaking of badass toppers, the official Stern $500 GOTG topper doesn't even light up during the game last I knew; not so badass. Most of the best mods have not been created by Stern; Stern has opportunistically copied the modders on certain things for which I can't blame them.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

There is always a market - Look at the crap that some of the "lighted" modders out there are slinging. I am not that market. The GOTG topper isn't $500 if I recall, but that is a fail regardless in my book. The GOT topper is badass. I was expecting something similar to GOT or BM66 LE Topper, perhaps even more interactive.

GOTG topper is $399.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

There is always a market - Look at the crap that some of the "lighted" modders out there are slinging. I am not that market. The GOTG topper isn't $500 if I recall, but that is a fail regardless in my book. The GOT topper is badass. I was expecting something similar to GOT or BM66 LE Topper, perhaps even more interactive.

And I'm not saying you are that market, but until now, the the common reason provided for why there is no 3rd party topper is licensing. My argument is that licensing can be circumvented by incorporating existing licensed products similar to certain playfield mods. That some folks such as yourself are saying that you have no interest in anything other than the top of the line official badass Stern topper is fine. So the question is whether there is a lack of a product on the market because:
1. Licensing issues - which I believe can be circumvented by incorporating existing licensed products and more generic space art (laser fire, stars, hyperspace)
2. Insufficient Demand to make money - is it true that people are only buying official Stern toppers for games or none at all?
3. Other?

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Trying to find a store bought original Star Wars movies correct "toy" of good size is hard to find. All the stuff out is from the new movies. tbanthony ,the link you had for the falcon is from the new movies, I have one on my desk at work. I collect Star Wars Items and to find a good looking item from the original movies to chop and add lights to is just a little pricey. I have been looking for something for about a month. My 2¢

Yes, I just bought one for my office desk and I know the antennae dish is different (rectangular vs. round). It does depend on how particular you want to be as a fan, but I believe there are other options as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbanthony.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oh-star-wars-topper-where-are-you?tu=tbanthony and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.