View topic image gallery

27D034E8-129D-424A-A497-61797631D536 (resized).jpeg
30222001_10213714813317734_4653963874885514038_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
mickey_mouse_attorney_by_cheshireproductions-d6z2lsi (resized).jpg
C8EC3747-CBDB-4664-BADD-5A351481F348 (resized).jpeg
2m6l2yv (resized).jpg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Anyone have any info on Stern doing a topper for this machine? I know its not going to be AFMRE topper by any stretch. Or is anyone building one now?

#2 6 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney licensing has been holding it up.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That’s 100% what it is.

#4 6 years ago

I got a yoda on a spring I'd sell ya!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I got a yoda on a spring I'd sell ya!

Just because it’s old, short, and wrinkled doesn’t make it Yoda ...

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It shouldn't take this bloody long to sort it out!

#7 6 years ago

2m6l2yv (resized).jpg2m6l2yv (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

I asked in Facebook a few days ago. Hard to believe two companies with open lines of communication would take THIS long to get something approved. Even Disney.

C8EC3747-CBDB-4664-BADD-5A351481F348 (resized).jpegC8EC3747-CBDB-4664-BADD-5A351481F348 (resized).jpeg

#9 6 years ago

Disney probably wants owners to buy 3 toppers and 3 shooter rods just like the side art blades...

#10 6 years ago

I’m sure there have been multiple revisions that have been brought to Disney that keep getting rejected. I was really surprised to hear how much Disney cared to have a say in everything related to this game.

#11 6 years ago

Yeah, seems like IP protection overkill. I've seen some relatively crappy Chinese made officially licensed Star Wars toys, etc., that were ok but certainly not stellar. Not sure why they have chosen to give Stern such a hard ass time about something that is a low volume niche product.

#12 6 years ago

OH it just a matter of time before someone builds one.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

It shouldn't take this bloody long to sort it out!

Thunderbirds is three years overdue and the most commonly heard reason being proffered numerous times for the delay has been approvals from the license holder.

Added over 6 years ago: Surely you wouldn't deny Stern the same leeway?

#14 6 years ago

Hmmmm. Anyone of the mod developers wanna take a stab. I realize the risk of the ire of Disney, but I’m sick of waiting for what I don’t think will happen...I’m beginning to think Disney is gonna block this forever. Just my 2 cents. And I’m in on $500 for a good topper from anyone. If Disney or Stern wants my money...it’s there, otherwise I’ll pay someone else.

Maybe, the topper wasn’t icluded included in the original license..thus, Disney won’t approve it...for an absorbent amount. That’s the problem. Time for innovation. Disney is gonna be a pig (monetarily and existentially), so be it. Pinballers can think around this. Let the innovation begin.

#15 6 years ago

Watch out!! He only looks sweet and innocent.

mickey_mouse_attorney_by_cheshireproductions-d6z2lsi (resized).jpgmickey_mouse_attorney_by_cheshireproductions-d6z2lsi (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

Topper I want, bummed I am, wait we will...

#17 6 years ago

There are already R2D2 robots, spaceships, etc that could be incorporated into a topper by an enterprising 3rd party. Seems like a missed opportunity for someone to make money. It’s kind of amazing there are none.

#18 6 years ago

Licensing for Star Wars is the absolute worst to deal with. The approval process is ridiculous. Lucas / Disney take there Intellectual property very seriously. If you are off even a shade from there list of approved colors you will be denied approval. We need a topper for this game. Stern if you are listening please play nice and get this thing approved. My SWLE is the only game out of my entire collection that does not have a topper. Interactive animated R2D2 Topper will make this already great game near perfect.

Going crazy I am. Hurry you must!

#19 6 years ago

I wonder if Stern pulled some "cost savings" moves and tried to keep R2 stationary only for Disney to tell Stern "No, he needs to be able to move", lol. Really looking forward to seeing what it looks like as definitely interested in purchasing one for my LE.

#20 6 years ago

The topper will come soon. Just a prediction.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Licensing for Star Wars is the absolute worst to deal with. The approval process is ridiculous. Lucas / Disney take there Intellectual property very seriously. If you are off even a shade from there list of approved colors you will be denied approval. We need a topper for this game. Stern if you are listening please play nice and get this thing approved. My SWLE is the only game out of my entire collection that does not have a topper. Interactive animated R2D2 Topper will make this already great game near perfect.
Going crazy I am. Hurry you must!

I don't see why someone can't put together a generic hyperspace background and put an existing M. Falcon model on it with a few lights and call it a day. Doesn't seem like it has to be that difficult. People buy and resell existing SW spaceships that are modded all the time without any issues that I'm aware of. A generic hyperspace, space, or asteroid background doesn't need to be licensed. If I were in the business of making/selling pinball mods, I'd have had this offered 6 months ago for $299 and making a 50% gross margin and pocketing at least $15K.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-Millennium-Falcon-Bluetooth-Speaker/110157371?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2641&adid=22222222227042923048&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=91602447410&wl4=aud-261800281900:pla-214001360690&wl5=9007243&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113719266&wl11=online&wl12=110157371&wl13=&veh=sem

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I don't see why someone can't put together a generic hyperspace background and put an existing M. Falcon model on it with a few lights and call it a day. Doesn't seem like it has to be that difficult. People buy and resell existing SW spaceships that are modded all the time without any issues that I'm aware of. A generic hyperspace, space, or asteroid background doesn't need to be licensed.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-Millennium-Falcon-Bluetooth-Speaker/110157371?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2641&adid=22222222227042923048&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=91602447410&wl4=aud-261800281900:pla-214001360690&wl5=9007243&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113719266&wl11=online&wl12=110157371&wl13=&veh=sem

Speaking for myself and probably a few others, I have ZERO interest in a homemade topper from the community, or one of the modders. I want an game interactive topper from Stern that is badass.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Speaking for myself and probably a few others, I have ZERO interest in a homemade topper from the community, or one of the modders. I want an game interactive topper from Stern that is badass.

So there is no market for a topper between zero and $499? I already have an R2D2 that lights up, beeps, and turns its head; not that excited for the Stern topper. Speaking of badass toppers, the official Stern $500 GOTG topper doesn't even light up during the game last I knew; not so badass. Most of the best mods have not been created by Stern; Stern has opportunistically copied the modders on certain things for which I can't blame them.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

So there is no market for a topper between zero and $499? I already have an R2D2 that lights up, beeps, and turns its head; not that excited for the Stern topper. Speaking of badass toppers, the official Stern $500 GOTG topper doesn't even light up during the game last I knew; not so badass. Most of the best mods have not been created by Stern; Stern has opportunistically copied the modders on certain things for which I can't blame them.

There is always a market - Look at the crap that some of the "lighted" modders out there are slinging. I am not that market. The GOTG topper isn't $500 if I recall, but that is a fail regardless in my book. The GOT topper is badass. I was expecting something similar to GOT or BM66 LE Topper, perhaps even more interactive.

#25 6 years ago

For $500 I would want a Star Wars R2D2 topper (say the top 1/3 of R2 on top of game) to rotate and have it's outer layer be made out of at least thin metal. Toss some lights in and done. I think that's reasonable for $500. However, if the topper is a stationary R2 with the outer shell made entirely out of plastic forget it.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For $500 I would want a Star Wars R2D2 topper (say the top 1/3 of R2 on top of game) to rotate and have it's outer layer be made out of at least thin metal. Toss some lights in and done. I think that's reasonable for $500. However, if the topper is a stationary R2 made of plastic forget it.

Agreed. It must move and be gameplay interactive in some way.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

There is always a market - Look at the crap that some of the "lighted" modders out there are slinging. I am not that market. The GOTG topper isn't $500 if I recall, but that is a fail regardless in my book. The GOT topper is badass. I was expecting something similar to GOT or BM66 LE Topper, perhaps even more interactive.

GOTG topper is $399.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

GOTG topper is $399.

Yep.

$500: GB, GOT

$400: TWD, KISS, BM66, AS, GOTG

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Agreed. It must move and be gameplay interactive in some way.

Yup! There's a ton of potential for an R2D2 topper if it's done right. If it is R2 I hope Stern has the topper interact with video clips and game audio. For example the clip from Empire where Yoda hits R2 would play and R2 reacts. Add in the clip where R2 gets fried on Endor and the topper reacts. The same concept would be used for other clips and uses including saying during attract mode R2 would light up / move and Luke says "That's R2 we are going to the Degobah system". That's the type of interactive offering I would like to see.

My main worry is that Stern won't put the time and resources into coding ideas like above. I hope they prove us wrong as that is exactly what they need to be doing in my opinion with the amount of competition in pinball today.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

And I'm not saying you are that market, but until now, the the common reason provided for why there is no 3rd party topper is licensing. My argument is that licensing can be circumvented by incorporating existing licensed products similar to certain playfield mods. That some folks such as yourself are saying that you have no interest in anything other than the top of the line official badass Stern topper is fine. So the question is whether there is a lack of a product on the market because:
1. Licensing issues - which I believe can be circumvented by incorporating existing licensed products and more generic space art (laser fire, stars, hyperspace)
2. Insufficient Demand to make money - is it true that people are only buying official Stern toppers for games or none at all?
3. Other?

#31 6 years ago

Trying to find a store bought original Star Wars movies correct "toy" of good size is hard to find. All the stuff out is from the new movies. tbanthony ,the link you had for the falcon is from the new movies, I have one on my desk at work. I collect Star Wars Items and to find a good looking item from the original movies to chop and add lights to is just a little pricey. I have been looking for something for about a month. My 2¢

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Trying to find a store bought original Star Wars movies correct "toy" of good size is hard to find. All the stuff out is from the new movies. tbanthony ,the link you had for the falcon is from the new movies, I have one on my desk at work. I collect Star Wars Items and to find a good looking item from the original movies to chop and add lights to is just a little pricey. I have been looking for something for about a month. My 2¢

Hmm, I have tons of the original toys still in their boxes... Including the Falcon and Death Star. I should look into selling some of them to fund a new pin...

#33 6 years ago

Double post, and can't find the delete button...

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Hmm, I have tons of the original toys still in their boxes... Including the Falcon and Death Star. I should look into selling some of them to fund a new pin...

It could work.
All mine have been taken out of the box. I did play with my toys when I was a kid.

#35 6 years ago

Star wars topper is hiding in the same place the ghostbuster "streams" are at

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

It could work.
All mine have been taken out of the box. I did play with my toys when I was a kid.

I did too - but my parents always made me put them back when I was done under threat of never getting another toy again.

#37 6 years ago

I made this one for my DESW. I already had the Vader mask. Lights are connected to backbox.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Yes, I just bought one for my office desk and I know the antennae dish is different (rectangular vs. round). It does depend on how particular you want to be as a fan, but I believe there are other options as well.

#39 6 years ago

Yet they'll license this...

30222001_10213714813317734_4653963874885514038_n (resized).jpg30222001_10213714813317734_4653963874885514038_n (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago

Stern could really knock a sweet interactive topper. R2D2 must have been in the thought process due to the fact it’s in the menu selection. Sad that such a sweet game is just missing a great topping. Stern won’t say anything because I don’t think they have a clue or just to cheap to produce it. Not sure why theses companies don’t like mod makers and what to try like heck to get into it and then drops the ball on such a great machine. The topper for GOTG suck and yes I bought it like an idiot. They did good with GB and then like always dropped the ball.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Stern could really knock a sweet interactive topper. R2D2 must have been in the thought process due to the fact it’s in the menu selection. Sad that such a sweet game is just missing a great topping. Stern won’t say anything because I don’t think they have a clue or just to cheap to produce it. Not sure why theses companies don’t like mod makers and what to try like heck to get into it and then drops the ball on such a great machine. The topper for GOTG suck and yes I bought it like an idiot. They did good with GB and then like always dropped the ball.

I have a feeling it’s not Stern... but Disney. They won’t approve it, or want tons of money. Secondary market and mods makers...I’m in for $500,

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I have a feeling it’s not Stern... but Disney. They won’t approve it, or want tons of money. Secondary market and mods makers...I’m in for $500,

You could be right that mouse is always a problem! Whoever does one, I hope it's a AFMRM type topper and not another acrylic job. No offense laser man you do great work but this needs to be over the top. I was also checking out different mods and I am really mix on some of them. I get the ships and out door buildings but I don't get the figures? Is it just me? I mean here you have the death star and millennium falcon, and across from it is Darth Vader or R2D2 jacked up somewhere in a corner? Seems odd to me. LOL

Quoted from tbanthony:

I don't see why someone can't put together a generic hyperspace background and put an existing M. Falcon model on it with a few lights and call it a day. Doesn't seem like it has to be that difficult. People buy and resell existing SW spaceships that are modded all the time without any issues that I'm aware of. A generic hyperspace, space, or asteroid background doesn't need to be licensed. If I were in the business of making/selling pinball mods, I'd have had this offered 6 months ago for $299 and making a 50% gross margin and pocketing at least $15K.

The blades are Horrible! worst I have ever seen! Looks like someone needs to go to graphics school.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

You could be right that mouse is always a problem! Whoever does one, I hope it's a AFMRM type topper and not another acrylic job. No offense laser man you do great work but this needs to be over the top. I was also checking out different mods and I am really mix on some of them. I get the ships and out door buildings but I don't get the figures? Is it just me? I mean here you have the death star and millennium falcon, and across from it is Darth Vader or R2D2 jacked up somewhere in a corner? Seems odd to me. LOL

The blades are Horrible! worst I have ever seen! Looks like someone needs to go to graphics school.

Agree, ships add to the atmosphere and figures are out of place.

Pretty much sums up why the blades suck too. You have basically a space scene and then have character art within the same space and it doesn’t mesh well.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

<\blockquote>

I agree on the topper...an AFMRM type with motion/interaction would be cool. The mods. I like a few ships (Star Wars miniatures) look good. I’m really digging the pinworlds.com worlds. They are well made, easy to install, and add the “world” component to the game. Plus, they don’t block any shots. I also like that they are lit...I like lighted mods vs. a random toy. Seems more integrated

#46 6 years ago

It will be released, I will think it costs too much, I will pout and not have one anyway...
All good

#47 6 years ago

Hopefully the wait is worth it and we get a very interactive R2D2 topper.

#48 6 years ago

I presume this is why there hasn't been any Guardians of the Galaxy stuff yet either

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I presume this is why there hasn't been any Guardians of the Galaxy stuff yet either

Yes there is. The topper and laser etched armor have been out for a long time. I think art blades and shooter knob also.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yes there is. The topper and laser etched armor have been out for a long time. I think art blades and shooter knob also.

From Stern?

I don't recall seeing any when I looked on the Stern Store a couple days ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.50
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oh-star-wars-topper-where-are-you?hl=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.