Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 140 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Gexchange
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kid.jpg
    khaaan.jpg
    warning2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toddsvec.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 10 years ago

I would not recommend getting a business license if you are NOT a business. Look forward to a lot of headaches. Many states also require you to obtain a state license. On top of that you may need to obtain a Sales Tax license, then collect & report sales & taxes to the city and state. In my case I also had to apply for a fictitious name, and pay .1% of my gross sales to the city. And now because you are a business, you get calls and junk mail from credit card processing places and insurance companies, and companies that want to sell you training material for your employees. Don't forget the fire inspection! Once I ignored, because I didn't quite understand, a request for a list of my business assets (computers, furniture, tools, etc) and ended up paying more than $50 but less than $100 because they estimated it for me, when in reality it would have been zero. And they don't change their minds. I asked why last year it was $0.00 and this year they estimated $1000, where did that come from and they said they didn't know. They even hounded me when I moved out of state because I didn't properly "close" my business in writing. But hey, the IRS audits are fun!

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

The difference between a hobby and a business IS the profitability. (In that terrible language known as legalese)

I don't agree to that cut and dry logic. If I collect stamps and have 1000 and sell one cause it's a duplicate and make $1 profit off of it, with that logic it's a business. And if I run a business and lose money, it's now a hobby?

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The neighbors do need to mind their own business, but you can't get upset with them for the way they feel. It doesn't make it right, but they are entitled to feel that way.

I had a neighbor, who I met once, that constantly called in to the city for reasons I'll never know, with "delivery trucks at all hours of the day and night". I actually suspected another neighbor, but when the city decided that these reports were harassment, they actually told me who it was and I was shocked. As far as I knew this guy was a tax accountant, working from home (the irony) and my house wasn't even in his view, let alone my front driveway.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I was just saying that retaliating against the nosy neighbors with a flood of internet people is a shitty thing to do. They do that on 4chan, not on pinside.

I agree to that, was just saying sometimes there's a reason to get upset at nosy neighbors. They can feel what they like about a situation, but when they fabricate things to cause trouble they just made themselves the worse of the two parties.

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Good question, with lots of gray areas. You do get to right off the losses for 3 years, then I think the IRS considers it a hobby and does not allow anymore deductions because of loss.

FYI: I am not a tax expert.

(Discussing, not arguing). I do get that if you constantly write stuff off for years and years that the IRS would consider it a hobby, really you're doing it for fun. I tried to argue (with the city) that I collect pinball machines, and sometimes sell them and buy others. They said I had to report everything. So if I bought it for $1000 and sold it for $1000 I have to pay on $1000? "That's correct." I then asked how this was different from someone collector cars, the response? "Oh, that's different!"

Very, very clear......

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from eXidy:

well, it just dawned on me. I was thinking to myself "WTF did the guy mean? trucks driving in and out". Shit, its NAVL. Thats what he's talking about. I use them like once in a while and they make a racket here, big 26' truck with beeping and slamming the lift gates.

I bet this is what caused all the problems.

If you are referring to my post about my neighbor's complaint to the city, no, wasn't NAVL. Wasn't anyone. Was my neighbor lying.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toddsvec.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oh-oh-in-trouble-with-the-city-for-selling-games-on-cl?tu=toddsvec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.