6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 140 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Gexchange
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

kid.jpg
    khaaan.jpg
    warning2.jpg

There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Last year, I let a township inspector into my home and he put some dye into my toilet. When the dye showed up in the storm sewer, I was given an order to redo the sewer connections outside of my house and it cost me a couple of Gs.

Maybe they didn't want raw sewage in the storm drain?

Of course they didn't want raw sewage in the storm drain. But I paid the township to inspect the original construction, they were by law supposed to conduct a smoke test at that time (which obviously they did not), and they approved the original installation in writing. Now six years later they want me to pay because they were negligent in performing their duties?

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

(Discussing, not arguing). I do get that if you constantly write stuff off for years and years that the IRS would consider it a hobby, really you're doing it for fun. I tried to argue (with the city) that I collect pinball machines, and sometimes sell them and buy others. They said I had to report everything. So if I bought it for $1000 and sold it for $1000 I have to pay on $1000? "That's correct." I then asked how this was different from someone collector cars, the response? "Oh, that's different!"

Very, very clear......

I'd never try and argue ordinances with a city clerk. It's almost certainly not their call and they're implementing what they've been told. I think I'd pull down the city ordinances online and find out if their claim is legitimate. Barring that, I'd pay a lawyer who deals with the city all the time to make an inquiry for you. He'll know whom and how to ask and it'll either go away or he'll tell you what you need to do to avoid getting cross-threaded with them. It may cost you $300 but so will climate controlled storage. If the city catches you lying to them they'll be on your ass until doomsday.

Good luck!

#103 6 years ago

I've bought some pins from the OP - good guy / great seller. Hope you beat the man! Let us know how it turns out....

#104 6 years ago

Slippery slope on taxes which you might already be ok on (sales/use tax as well as property taxes that the city might seek on the business assets that get moved back/forth from the 1up/2up). Regardless, hope this gets resolved swiftly and in your favor. Good luck.

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Of course they didn't want raw sewage in the storm drain. But I paid the township to inspect the original construction, they were by law supposed to conduct a smoke test at that time (which obviously they did not), and they approved the original installation in writing. Now six years later they want me to pay because they were negligent in performing their duties?

6 years is a long time - what makes you think the problem did not develop during the last 6 years and for sure happened prior to that point?

#106 6 years ago

It's very clear you need to send your neighbor a package (err... message) using this website:

http://www.poopsenders.com/

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

6 years is a long time - what makes you think the problem did not develop during the last 6 years and for sure happened prior to that point?

I'm a plumber. Separating storm and sewer drains is fairly cut and dry. If you seperate them there is no way for them to accidentally reconnect eachother over time. I wish pipes were magical like that sometimes. Would make my life easier.

And usually its not the towns that do the tests. Its the contractor and then he should show the inspector. Contractor could of been fudging the test for the inspector. Or the inspector just didnt really bother checking as many don't truely inspect anything the way they should.

-Jim

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I'm a plumber. Separating storm and sewer drains is fairly cut and dry. If you seperate them there is no way for them to accidentally reconnect eachother over time. I wish pipes were magical like that sometimes. Would make my life easier.
    And usually its not the towns that do the tests. Its the contractor and then he should show the inspector. Contractor could of been fudging the test for the inspector. Or the inspector just didnt really bother checking as many don't truely inspect anything the way they should.
    -Jim

If the trench wasn't shaded properly or a no hub was used the connection could have separated from compaction or root intrusion.
    Out here union trained tradesmen are a thing of the past and most of the work is done by clueless people from off of the corner so substandard work is the norm now.
    I got out of the trades years ago and am glad I did, it is now a hand to mouth occupation.
    Out here pride and craftsmanship are like Elvis, they have left the building.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Oh, I agree it sucks. Who would have paid for it if they had found the problem back then? If the contractor, couldn't you sue them in small claims court when the problem was found later?

I mainly didn't see how you could have refused to let the inspector in if they wanted in.

#110 6 years ago

I would sue the contractor but they've been out of business for a long time...big surprise.

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

It's very clear you need to send your neighbor a package (err... message) using this website:
    http://www.poopsenders.com/

Hilarious! It's funny that the person you send the poop to is told the address of the website. This can only lead to retaliation creating a virtual shitstorm!

#112 6 years ago

Jon,

Aren't you the owner of 1up and 2up in Denver?

How many of the games that circulate through your home are related to the business...moving inventory to the locations, buying new inventory, selling duplicates or games you no longer want.

Seems to me that you would have a difficult time clearly defining your home hobby from your business if it came down to a showdown with City officials.

If that is the case, perhaps it is time to truly separate the two, rent a warehouse space to use for circulating stock/repairs/selling and receiving and keep a small cache of personal games in your home to enjoy.

I feel your pain...one of the reasons I moved out of town to an area with few neighbors, who have a history of striking down zoning law legislation at the voters booth.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

"
    Or you can fill a spray jug with bleach and go write "F*** YOU" in their grass.

My personal favorite is pouring the outline of a big dick in the front yard. When it dies you have a big dick and when they re-seed it , its still a big dick.

Post edited by absocountry2 : F bomb in quote edited

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rody:

Jon,
    Aren't you the owner of 1up and 2up in Denver?
    How many of the games that circulate through your home are related to the business...moving inventory to the locations, buying new inventory, selling duplicates or games you no longer want.
    Seems to me that you would have a difficult time clearly defining your home hobby from your business if it came down to a showdown with City officials.
    If that is the case, perhaps it is time to truly separate the two, rent a warehouse space to use for circulating stock/repairs/selling and receiving and keep a small cache of personal games in your home to enjoy.
    I feel your pain...one of the reasons I moved out of town to an area with few neighbors, who have a history of striking down zoning law legislation at the voters booth.

I think the point of saying that some of them are for 1up and 2up will not help anything at all. By saying that the machines belong to them and that you are servicing them to return to the bar, then you are admitting that you are running a business out of your home. Since technically, you said that you are a service center at your house for the bar. I know that this is a technicality, but when arguing with the city, they will hold nothing back if they want.

Luckily, my town is real cool, the cops even stop by to talk once in awhile. They have even contacted me before when some machines were stolen out of a bar, they wanted to let me know so that if i recieved a service call on them, to be on the look out.

On a side note, Jon, sorry we couldnt get together when i was in Denver earlier this month. I had already pushed my limits on arcade stops on the vacation, so i didnt want to push it anymore.

Troy

#115 6 years ago

I would have lawyered up. F that crap. If you pay taxes on what you sell and do not run them coin up for money out of your garage or anywhere then... The city needs to mind their own damn business. IMHO.

News story breaks and now he can keep them but must promise city he will not sell any??

LOL what kind of communist country is this we live in?

#116 6 years ago

Wow Jon talk about De Ja Vu? I would not worry too much about it. I bet you it was NAVL-they dropped by my home last week and guys where asking if I knew you-LOL. They sure do make a racket unloading pins. I bet you it is about traffic on street. The price to pay for living in suburbia. It sucks that it leaves you thinking about what neighbor made the call-super lame. Good luck-it is all good(;

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

LOL what kind of communist country is this we live in?

Some cities don't let you keep coin op games or slots in your house.

Did you guys see the movie "The Space Invaders"?

#118 6 years ago

I'm torn on this kind of thing.

One part of me says "f@#k the man; they should leave people like Jon alone!"

Then there's the other, business-owner, part of me that says "If I have to have a business license, pay taxes, and deal with all of the other governmental horseshit that comes with it, why shouldn't these "professional" flipper guys have to as well?"

(There's no judgement or anything intended on my part, and in the end, I hope they leave Jon alone. I'm just sharing my feelings with the group.)

#119 6 years ago

Heh...
    I havent done shit yet, but I might start listing stuff on CL this week and just take the games to my shop to be picked up.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Bugle Boy jeans

A more elegant jean, for a more civilized age.

#121 6 years ago

If you're a flipper, you should be forced to register and be zoned for commerce. Taxes should be charged and collected. Flippers are not hobbyists.

#122 6 years ago

lame. ive had a core collection of over 80+ machines since 1999. i buy stuff and sell stuff sometimes.. no biggie. I believe in rotation and sometimes I get sick of games, happens when you keep games for a long time.

#123 6 years ago

ok, but sounds like you're moving multiple items for many thousands of dollars every month. seems like a real tough sell to me to argue that you're not engaged in business.

#124 6 years ago

I agree...sounds very much like a business (in terms of volume). Selling 2-4 machines a month is above what I'd consider a "hobbyist level".

I think the OP should be audited, and he's lucky if he hasn't been so far. I'm sure selling in the quantities that he has been, he owes the community quite a chunk of change in back tax. It's not fair that registered business pay for licenses and taxes, and he does not.

It's also not cool that local hobbyists have him around, without him taking up the responsibilities that he should be. If you want to be a Flipper, you should have to pay your dues.

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Mail Randy back a picture of your bare ass

LOL. I don't think poking the government bear will help him much CP. We might has to pass a hat around to raise money here on pinside to get him out of jail.

#126 6 years ago

I mainly didn't see how you could have refused to let the inspector in if they wanted in.

You stand on your porch and say "no" when they ask for entry into your property. What are they going to do? Kick you in the junk and run past you?

A couple of years ago our town hired some real amateurs to do property tax re-assessments. They didn't tell anyone it was going to happen. Some guy showed up at my front door at 8am on a saturday saying he wanted to inspect my house. When I asked to see some ID he showed me a blurry index card inkjet photo laminated with a $20 machine. When I called the Police to inquire about town employees asking for entry into private homes on a saturday they had no idea what I was talking about. Would you let that guy into your home?

Of course, I had to fight my next tax bill, when my home magically went from 3 bedrooms to 6 bedrooms and two new bathrooms despite no permitted additions to the property.

Post edited by ChadTower : spelling

#127 6 years ago

It's easy to be in business when you don't have to pay what's owed to be in business. Buck up and be legit or don't bitch about what happens if you don't.

#128 6 years ago

Everything is resolved!

I went down town today and spoke with the city.
    Turns out i dont need a license since im selling from my collection and a very small amount of games, the problem was the "trucks driving in and out of the neighborhood". Which turned out to be NAVL.

They said I can continue to buy/sell/trade the games as long as I dont have the semi trucks driving in and out of the neighborhood. He suggested we meet at the parking lot down the street, which im ok with.

thanks for all the advice! kid.jpg

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from eXidy:

Everything is resolved!
    I went down town today and spoke with the city.
    Turns out i dont need a license since im selling from my collection and a very small amount of games, the problem was the "trucks driving in and out of the neighborhood". Which turned out to be NAVL.
    They said I can continue to buy/sell the games as long as I dont have the semi trucks driving in and out of the neighborhood. He suggested we meet at the parking lot down the street, which im ok with.
    thanks for all the advice!

Awesome, I'm glad all it took was you going to talk to them.

Glad to hear its resolved!

#130 6 years ago

Heh, that'll work until the owner of that property down the street complains about illicit buying and selling in his parking lot. Why can't you just do the business at your actual place of business?

#131 6 years ago

No need for it. I almost never use NAVL here (only when I buy stuff from Stern or one of you pinside guys) which is only a couple of times a year. Just happened to be METALLICA x2 this past month and I shipped a game to my little brother around the same time.

I will probably just have the games sent downtown now to avoid any of this anyway.

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

You stand on your porch and say "no" when they ask for entry into your property. What are they going to do? Kick you in the junk and run past you?

I just meant eventually you'll have to let them in, under your terms perhaps, but if they have a legal right to inspect it will happen eventually one way or another. You want them to drag the cops along with them?

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from eXidy:

I will probably just have the games sent downtown now to avoid any of this anyway.

Sanest response to the situation. Glad it worked out.

I don't know how your neighborhood is laid out, but many can't really safely accommodate a semi.

Sux when neighbors have to be dicks, though. I had to license a perfectly good looking car ('98 Saturn) parked in my driveway for an extended period when I wasn't using it, like it was an eyesore or something, thanks to a neighbor. Once it was gone (years later) I felt like parking something really ugly there for spite.

#134 6 years ago

I just meant eventually you'll have to let them in, under your terms perhaps, but if they have a legal right to inspect it will happen eventually one way or another. You want them to drag the cops along with them?

Yes, I do want them to drag the Cops along, if it is something that I am not comfortable with. All they had to do was be the slightest bit professional and I would have let them in. You know, simple stuff like advance notice, or an ID that doesn't look like a 3rd grader made it, or notifying the town Police of their activity (as required by town code), or not showing up at 8am on a saturday. Given their complete lack of professionalism nothing short of a search warrant was going to get them into my house.

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Yes, I do want them to drag the Cops along, if it is something that I am not comfortable with. All they had to do was be the slightest bit professional and I would have let them in. You know, simple stuff like advance notice, or an ID that doesn't look like a 3rd grader made it, or notifying the town Police of their activity (as required by town code), or not showing up at 8am on a saturday. Given their complete lack of professionalism nothing short of a search warrant was going to get them into my house.

In those circumstances I'd have done the same thing.

Here, inspectors have to give advance notice.

At first, I thought you were saying you'd never let them in, is all. No argument!

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from eXidy:

well, it just dawned on me. I was thinking to myself "WTF did the guy mean? trucks driving in and out". Shit, its NAVL. Thats what he's talking about. I use them like once in a while and they make a racket here, big 26' truck with beeping and slamming the lift gates.
    I bet this is what caused all the problems.

Feh, I have full 53' footers pull into my little residential neighborhood, no one ever makes a peep about it.

#137 6 years ago

In modern, pussified America, it's ridiculous how people are so quick to run to Big Brother when they have a neighborhood issue.

If you have a problem with a neighbor, how about being decent and talk with them respectfully about your issue? If polite discourse fails, THEN go to momma government.

(Glad to hear it's all resolved, Jon.)

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from GaryMartin:

Feh, I have full 53' footers pull into my little residential neighborhood, no one ever makes a peep about it.

I'd like to hear Erik's thoughts on this. Opinions might be a little different between Douglas County and Johnson County.

Sometimes you just have neighbors who take every opportunity to complain about anything they can find. I'm sure OP's reporting neighbor spends the entire week complaining about grass that might be a little tall or that trash/recycle bin that is still out in the driveway. They will never change their mentality, you just have to learn to live with it/ignore it.

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

In modern, pussified America, it's ridiculous how people are so quick to run to Big Brother when they have a neighborhood issue.
    If you have a problem with a neighbor, how about being decent and talk with them respectfully about your issue? If polite discourse fails, THEN go to momma government.
    (Glad to hear it's all resolved, Jon.)

Amen brother!!!!

I used to rent houses with my buddies on our early 20's and the FIRST thing I would always do (as the only responsible roommate) is walk around and introduce myself to all the neighbors. I would give them my direct phone number and encouraged if they ever had a problem (noise complaint or otherwise) to just call me directly and I'll take care of it.

This probably eliminated a good 85% of my neighbor problems (but there's always that 15% who just enjoy making others miserable because they hate themselves...)

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Amen brother!!!!
    I used to rent houses with my buddies on our early 20's and the FIRST thing I would always do (as the only responsible roommate) is walk around and introduce myself to all the neighbors. I would give them my direct phone number and encouraged if they ever had a problem (noise complaint or otherwise) to just call me directly and I'll take care of it.
    This probably eliminated a good 85% of my neighbor problems (but there's always that 15% who just enjoy making others miserable because they hate themselves...)

Your Early 20's? Was that last week or the week before

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 26.95
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 225.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 129.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 28.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 219.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside