(Topic ID: 10191)

Oh, how I just love UPS.

By Leeb18509

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2012-01-20_at_4.01.26_PM.png
    DownloadedFile.jpeg
    images-3.jpeg
    071.JPG
    070.JPG
    069.JPG
    068.JPG
    067.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

If you've been paying attention to a few of the Mad Amusements threads here and elsewhere, I guess it could be considered ironic that this was MY first order from Mike. I heard the grumblings, but he had some stuff I wanted and the prices were good. Ordered on the 7th, shipped on the 12th, and arrived today. But this is what I get? Not blaming M.A. UPS must be full of assholes.

067.JPG067.JPG 068.JPG068.JPG 069.JPG069.JPG 070.JPG070.JPG 071.JPG071.JPG

#2 12 years ago

OK...but what about the contents of the box?

#3 12 years ago

I don't ship through UPS anymore for that exact reason - that happens to packages way too often in the past and then have fun trying to get them to replace what was broken...

#4 12 years ago

It is sad that putting a fragile sticker on a UPS package is just asking for abuse. You are better off it it isn't on there. If I have a choice, and it doesn't cost a ton more, I ship USPS. Just as fast, Saturday delivery, and I've never had them damage a package like UPS and Fed Ex.

#5 12 years ago

yeah that is unacceptable. what's in the box and was it damaged?

#6 12 years ago

That is just ridiculous. It's not like UPS is being asked to work miracles. Just to pick up a fairly light box put it in truck and deliver it to the location not to play a game of rugby with it.

#8 12 years ago

Okay so keep in mind this is a 230 dollar order including a complete whitewater boulder replacement set. I posted the pics first to vent a little bit and on opening and inspecting the contents everything is........FINE! Packing peanuts are miraculous shit.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

everything is........FINE!

Maybe next time ask them to put your box in a box.

#10 12 years ago

everything is........FINE! Packing peanuts are miraculous shit.

Glad to here that! Did you have a dog come up missing?

images-3.jpegimages-3.jpeg DownloadedFile.jpegDownloadedFile.jpeg

#11 12 years ago

UPS is the worst to deal with..Keep in mind employees are part of the Union and dont care how products are handeled.A box marked fragile will be damaged on purpose.Stick with FEDEX or the U.S. postal service.

#12 12 years ago

USPS sucks too. Ordered some stuff from PBL on Monday. Im only an hour away. USPS tracking says it went out for delivery YESTERDAY. About to leave work on Friday and haven't received it yet.

Screen_Shot_2012-01-20_at_4.01.26_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2012-01-20_at_4.01.26_PM.png

#13 12 years ago

check this out, postal worker just chucks the dudes package over the fence, crunching an antique clock, this just happened in Los Angeles a couple days ago!

http://tv.yahoo.com/daytime/usps-delivery-gone-wrong-27941614.html

#14 12 years ago

A few years ago, UPS misplaced my wife's custom made engagement ring for 2 weeks, couldn't track it. A driver finally found it in the back of his truck one day and dropped it off.

We avoid UPS whenever possible.

#15 12 years ago

Man,Deja Vu,I ordered expensive new boards for my Getaway HSII a couple mos. ago-from
    MAD AMUSEMENTS-2/3rds. across the country,received damaged box like Original Posters and thought the worst,Thank goodness they were supremely packaged in bubble wrap and packing peanuts,All ended up OK.

#16 12 years ago

I ordered a NOS Backglass from Mayfairamusement and he sent the thing out with UPS and insured it.....well when I got it it was a mess,chipped on one edge and completely broken on the other corner. Mayfairamusement had put styrofoam guard all the way round the outer edge and bubble wrap throughout! I got no where with UPS because they said you signed for the package and I told them the driver said I had to if I wanted the package. Long story short I went to Mayfairamusements to order another while I waited on UPS to rule on my claim and you know they (mayfair) sent me another free of charge and said they would deal with UPS. That was one of the best days of my life!!!!!!

UPS SUCKS AND I'LL NEVER USE THEM FOR SH#%&!

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from Snurdley:

everything is........FINE! Packing peanuts are miraculous shit.

Glad to here that! Did you have a dog come up missing?

Attachments DownloadedFile.jpeg (8.6 KB, 0 downloads) 5 hours old images-3.jpeg (4 KB, 0 downloads) 5 hours old

i would like to ass you a few questions.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

UPS is the worst to deal with..Keep in mind employees are part of the Union and dont care how products are handeled.A box marked fragile will be damaged on purpose.Stick with FEDEX or the U.S. postal service.

That was an absolutely ignorant and probably arrogant thing to say.

#19 12 years ago

You don't like what I say then keep your Ignorant comments to yourself!

#20 12 years ago

Unions are OK by me,Companys take advantage of their employees,and that's been my real life experience.

#21 12 years ago

UPS has the best tracking system but the FedEx distribution centers are more efficient and handle the packages better. I get FedEx when I can. USPS tracking system is a joke but it is better than what they had only a year or so ago. USPS is perfect for fast (priority) small packages.

#22 12 years ago

yeah avoid unions at all cost. they are nothing but lazy good for nothing middle class tax paying americans trying to keep the fragile economy afloat, god i hate em!

anyone who has a problem with the 1%ers let me know and we can put together another public bailout package and socialize more of their debt, those poor bankers.

and when the smoke clears we will privatize all of their profits again and blame...unions!

socialize the debt privatize the profits...god bless america!

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from v8torino:

Unions are OK by me,Companys take advantage of their employees

I have always been treated fairly by my employers. My union that I am required to be part of only protects me from abuse that is already prohibited by state and federal labor laws. For that I get to pay them $979 per year.

I do not have anything good to say about UPS. They let the drivers here keep the trucks at home over the weekends because we are far from the depot. If you are getting a box on Friday and miss the truck it will be monday before you get it. No chance to pick it up at the depot because it will be sitting in the drivers yard in the truck.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

SDFworker said:ignorant

You don't like what I say then keep your Ignorant comments to yourself!

You are certainly entitled to your opions about unions. Maybe you just had too many beers last night when you said this:

Quoted from pinmike:

Purposely damaging Interstate Commerce is punishable by fines and imprisonment. Major parcel carriers like FedEx and UPS offer rewards to employees that help the conviction of someone tampering with Interstate Commerce. (Your box)

#26 12 years ago

Same deal with spitting in someones food but its done all the time. It does not matter if the restaurant employee is mad at you or there employer, its YOUR food that gets spit on. I have no problems with the unions. They all have there good points and bad points. The fact does remain though a certain # of lazy/angry/spiteful/etc employees do mishandle packages and the # IMO is getting larger. The argument its against the law is futile, it happens all the time. One thing I have noticed about union workers (some of my best friends are union), there very prideful, and thats good. But its prideful bordering on arrogant when it comes to there trade. My union friends think union tradesmen are far better than privately employed tradesmen. They are no different than anyone else, they do good work, they do bad work, they spit in food and some would never consider damaging a package. BUT, when its very difficult to get fired, its hard to be on your best behavior.So no fighting guys, your both wrong.

#27 12 years ago

I prefer USPS when I can. UPS in my area is good, plus they require a signiture for every single delivery due to a package theft a few years ago. Fed-Ex in my area has been hit or miss and I have had lots of problems with them. I have had divers leave packages against garage doors instead of walking all the way to the front door. I almost ran over the package because of that. More recently(this week) Fed-Ex delivered tires I ordered to the wrong house. They did fix the issue the next day, but it was an added headache to the already stressful week I have been having.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I have no problems with the unions. They all have there good points and bad points.

QFT. I've worked for UPS and FedEx. UPS treats the common worker far better than FedEx does. However, the conditions are still less than desirable. And because of it some UPS workers are crazy. But there are crazy people all over. Also, within UPS, only some hubs are unionized and some are not. I've worked at a unionized one and one that had no union. There are disadvantages and advantages to both. My experience working for FedEx was terrible. They sub-contract. Sub-contracting is never good for the common worker. It should be criminalized, imo.

#29 12 years ago

Before thanksgiving 2011 I ordered a pair of Yamaha speakers from Amazon.com

The box weight was around 50+ lbs. It was shipped via UPS, and arrived in PERFECT
    condition. The inner box is what the speakers were packed in from Yamaha, and the outer box
    arrived without any dents in it.

In my past I worked on the shipping/receiving docks at IBM in Charlotte back in the 90's,
    and have seen both the good and bad when it comes do shipments from UPS and Fedex.

It really depends on how well or badly a truck is packed and unloaded and loaded on trucks when they move from points within the shipping process.

In my experience the larger the package the greater the chance of it being damaged by
    any shipping company.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

UPS must be full of fucking assholes.

i guess you should of opened the package before you made that assumption.

Quoted from Leeb18509:........FINE! Packing peanuts are miraculous shit.

see, everything is o.k.

Quoted from stangbat:It is sad that putting a fragile sticker on a UPS package is just asking for abuse. You are better off it it isn't on there. If

totally false, that claim gets urban legend status

Quoted from pinmike:UPS is the worst to deal with..Keep in mind employees are part of the Union and dont care how products are handeled.A box marked fragile will be damaged on purpose.Stick with FEDEX or the U.S. postal service.

again, false. oh and by the way the post office is also a union workplace. yes, it is true that packages do get damaged. not just by ups . fedx usps dhl i dont care, damages happen.

#31 12 years ago

Knowing what I had ordered (a complete WH20 boulder set) and then seeing the shape the box arrived in, I may have overreacted. Perhaps a more truthful statement would be that nobody at UPS can read.

So let me clarify, only the employees that handled my package at any time from its origin to its destination were assholes. The rest might be okay.

The contents of the package arrived undamaged thanks to Mike and Mad Amusements packaging, despite the concerted effort of UPS to break whatever was inside. Yeah, for me.

#32 12 years ago

Damage happens to packages with all of the major carriers. They move millions of packages per day thru there systems. Packages fall off belt systems at sort facillities, shift during transit on rough roads, get jambed up in moving belt systems, and I guess in rare instances get damaged by a bad apple employee. You want to get a backglass across the country for $30 without having any damage, you had better sandwich it between two pieces of plywood and foam. You want to ship irreplacable pinball parts thru these systems for next to nothing compared to what they are worth, then here's a suggestion

Box it up then stand ontop of the box, kick that box across the room, drop it from 12 feet, maybe drive down the road and toss it out the window. If the contents survive your testing pick a carrier and spend some pocket change.

#33 12 years ago

People who complain about the state of the outside of the packaging clearly have no idea what the shipping process is like. It's possible your package may have been mishandled. But, your package is being shipped with other packages of numerous shapes and weights and sizes. All of which get sent down conveyors and slides and possibly getting stuck in the process. These jams can be the source of exterior damage to a package. Once the package reaches it's designated truck, it must then hand-loaded and built into a walls of packages seven to eight feet high which again consist of varying shapes, weights, and sizes which may or may not fall over. The trucks are typically not your average room temperature. In the winter it can be very cold, in the summer it can be extremely hot. The truck may or may not have heating or a fan. Along with all this, the worker must contend with a tight schedule. The packages must be loaded at a swift rate, otherwise things slow down and more and more jams occur. So supervisors wander the hub trying to keep things rolling. Some of them can be real jerks and will scream at the backs of workers to get them going faster.
    Believe me, the job is not easy. It doesn't pay well, and in some cases you don't even get health insurance (FedEx). I've also seen packages that are poorly wrapped. Some people either do not care about the contents or simply do not realize what the shipping process is like. I met a guy who was stabbed in the arm by a poorly wrapped samurai sword. Yes, your package may get intentionally damaged. But I've seen far more cases where the damage is not deliberate.

#34 12 years ago

Hey, I get it. If I go to McDonald's I can't expect to get a Big Mac with 3 buns and 2 pieces of meat everytime. They make millions of them, the work is tough and the pay is low. Maybe I should feel lucky if I do.

It's not like I'm paying money to have something of value delivered with reasonable care to my home. Look, I get an average of 2-3 boxes a week. I'm an Amazon Prime member and I order, well you name it. "What did you order now?" is my wifes most often used phrase. Most of it gets here fine. (Primarily by FedEx)

I took this delivery as a bit egregious due to the nature of the damage, both crush AND puncture all of it on top of 5 "fragile" stickers. What the hell does fragile mean at UPS anyway? Jack shit, apperantly. I imagine it's far easier to just keep making excuses for bad service. I'll just keep watching CNN for the latest Youtube delivery star.

Ok, I'm really officially done. Didn't to stir up the union stuff either, btw! Think I'll go start on my shop job with the new parts. Take it easy everybody!

#35 12 years ago

I just received a package from MAD also, the peanuts really aren't the best in my opinion because they crush easily. I prefer the air bags.

As was said, USPS is also unionized. I was an active member of a Union for a decade and without it the employees would have been taken advantage of at every turn. Blaming Union members attitudes for a slightly dented box is absurd.

Having a good weekend? Thank the unions that fought for it.

#36 12 years ago

If you bothered to read what the packages go through, maybe you should have realized that marking a package "Fragile" doesn't stop it from going through the same process as any other package. If you want it handled like a baby then pay for it. There is no special method of sorting for fragile packages unless you pay for it. You imagine wrong, friend.

#37 12 years ago

USPSs tracking sucks. Half the time I get the box before the site says it left the company. But up here, they are the only reasonable way to ship. I have had very few instances of damaged boxes by USPS.
    One thing to note about USPS. If you ship Priority, and it is less than 1lb. It will be transported in a commercial passenger plane. So the baggage employees are handling it too. Any mail over 1lb may not be shipped in the cargo hold of a passenger plane. FAA rule. I guess they figure <1lb of C4 can't destroy an airplane.
    Also the airlines are charging an additional fee for large boxes. It is now usually cheaper to send two smaller boxes than one large one.

#38 12 years ago

So now, get this, my USPS package from PBL says delivered. But its not. Because Im sitting here, and I was sitting here when it said it was delivered...yesterday. WORST TRACKING EVER.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oh-how-i-just-love-ups?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.