Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Black Hole Key (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Got out this Black Hole and discovered the key is not there. How am I going to get inside this backbox? Doesn't it have some bar in it? If I drill it out - will the glass magically be free? Please help.

Black Hole Key (resized).jpgBlack Hole Key (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

Try all your keys you already have and use wd40.

#3 1 year ago

1) check the back of the coin door. Is it hanging on a hook?
2) check inside the cabinet. Is it hanging on a hook?
3) Inspect the cabinet as much as possible--maybe the key fell inside somewhere?
4) Is there a 3 or 4-digit number visible on the lock? That's the key you have to find.
5) Try any double-bitted keys that you might have.
6) You can try to pick it. Note--I can pick single-bitted locks without too much difficulty, but I find double-bitted locks fairly challenging. The lock's age and stiffness makes it even more difficult.
7) drill the lock, but not all the way through to the retaining screw. Just try to get all the lock bits, jam a large flat head screwdriver in the hole, and turn.
8) If you drill all the way through and the screw pops out, use either a matching square screw bit or a large flat head screwdriver and try to jam it in the square hole of the bracket, then try to turn it.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

drill the lock, but not all the way through to the retaining screw.

Drill the lock tumblers. Use a bit about the same size as the slot. Will be a double bitted lock, so you'll have to drill tumblers at the top and bottom of the slot. You'll feel them give way as you drill through them. Drill on top and bottom, blow out shavings, try to turn with a big standard screwdriver. If you can't turn by hand, drill tumblers more. Messy and tedious, might take a few tries, but eventually you should be able to turn the lock and mechanism.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

.If you drill all the way through and the screw pops out...

Don't do this. Take your time and drill the tumblers. Doesn't take long with a sharp bit.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Don't do this. Take your time and drill the tumblers. Doesn't take long with a sharp bit.

This times 1000. I always see people thinking they need to drill out the entire cylinder and punch out the screw/lock arm on the back, but you only need to very carefully drill the sheer lines. Much easier and less messy.

You can also learn lock picking which is scarily easy.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This times 1000. I always see people thinking they need to drill out the entire cylinder and punch out the screw/lock arm on the back, but you only need to very carefully drill the sheer lines. Much easier and less messy.
You can also learn lock picking which is scarily easy.

I'm good with picking locks and even have a pro set of tools from a locksmith buddy, the double-bitted ones are a bear. I dont even waste my time anymore past 2 minutes. Either it picks right away or I get the cordless drill out.

Single bit? 30 seconds flat I can pick.

#7 1 year ago

Drill baby drill!

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This times 1000. I always see people thinking they need to drill out the entire cylinder and punch out the screw/lock arm on the back, but you only need to very carefully drill the sheer lines.

It depends. On the front door locks, you only need a drill bit just large enough to drill through the lock and take out the lock arm screw. Removing tumblers takes much larger drill, and there might be problems due to debris left in lock mechanism.

On the backbox locks however, it might be better to try getting rid of the tumblers and leave lock arm intact. Drilling through the lock arm screw can make it very difficult to turn the backbox hinge/glass holding lever.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Removing tumblers takes much larger drill, and there might be problems due to debris left in lock mechanism.

I dunno, I use much smaller bits for sheer line drilling than the screw in the back.

The lock in the picture doesn't appear to be double bitted though, it looks to be single bitted.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I dunno, I use much smaller bits for sheer line drilling than the screw in the back.

That is indeed true, if you can drill carefully both sides one at a time. I was thinking of a single drill straight through the centre.

Having an ample collection of "Fort Lock" keys is also a great help. Very often a random old key opens the lock with a little persuasion.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from SDM0:

Got out this Black Hole and discovered the key is not there. How am I going to get inside this backbox? Doesn't it have some bar in it? If I drill it out - will the glass magically be free? Please help.
[quoted image]

Check the cabinet very carefully, it’s probably screwed inside the cabinet somewhere. My Caveman has one screwed right in and the number was actually written on the side as well.
Drilling those can be a total pain. You can usually get away with a bump-key method, putting slight tension and wiggling a key or a pick and getting them open, I just did it yesterday with a double-bitted lock. Maybe 4 minutes effort? And then it’s nice because I can just compare the pins to the keys I have, many times they’re just stuck and I don’t have to waste a lock (I’m cheap)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oh-great-it-s-missing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.