1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Don_C
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What kind of Christmas tree in your home?”

• Fresh cut and deal with the mess 27 votes
      46%
    • Artificial , fast and easy 27 votes
      46%
    • No tree 5 votes
      8%

(Multiple choice - 59 votes by 58 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191210_002748 (1) (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20181212_075701 (1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_1209 (resized).jpg
    4C7BF338-2062-461D-910F-E54FBC12E499 (resized).jpeg
    download (2) (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

It’s that time in the Christmas season when the needles start dropping off my tree and I dread the final January 2nd cleanup! Yet, I go with a live tree every year. What about you all?

#2 1 year ago

We have three trees. One fake in the kids bedroom, one fake in front room, and a big live one in the game room.

#3 1 year ago

I would have a live tree (I prefer Noble Fir), but keeping it alive for five or six weeks is a challenge. Let it run out of water once, and the sap seals the trunk. There are very few tree lots any more who keep the trees in water, and Home Depot and Lowes (who have beautiful trees) get their shipments too early. I don't want to put up the tree before Thanksgiving. I have several artificial trees to choose from: small, tall, flocked, green. I did, however, keep a live tree for three years. It's a wonder the poor thing did't catch fire.

#4 1 year ago

Frasier Fir is my tree of choice. I used to get one cut in NC and shipped overnight with the stand attached. It was pretty slick But also pretty expensive.

#5 1 year ago

We just put up a small 4ft tree on the table now that our kids are grown and out on their own.

#6 1 year ago

Have always had real trees, but after buying an 8 footer it looked stupid in our newish house with 12 foot ceilings, which actually raises to almost 14 in the area where we have the tree, so bought an awesome looking pre-lit 12 footer that looks amazing. Can't imagine going back to a real if that big, but wife still likes a real so we have the smaller one with lights in a different room.

So I see both in my future.

#7 1 year ago

I just grab one of those fresh 3’ trees outside Publix the day after Thanksgiving. Throw some lights on it then burn it in my backyard on New Year’s Day.

#8 1 year ago

It's got to be live!! All part of the Christmas spirit!

#9 1 year ago

What is Publix, a type of hardware store? Haven't been to Florida in 4 yrs. but I don't recall seeing that around St. Petersburg.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from RWH:

What is Publix, a type of hardware store? Haven't been to Florida in 4 yrs. but I don't recall seeing that around St. Petersburg.

Grocery store

#11 1 year ago

Done!

download (2) (resized).jpg
    #12 1 year ago

I’ve been busy doing a complete restore on my TSPP so this year we threw a strand of blinking lights on the living room ficus. Real classy...

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from RWH:

A nice, clean Grocery store chain in the southeast. Lived in Colorado for awhile, and their version was King Soopers.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Done![quoted image]

Nice. That looks like Charlie brown’s tree

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

A nice, clean Grocery store chain in the southeast.

I thought I saw Winn Dixies down where I was but hell, I could be wrong.

#16 1 year ago

Merry Christmas Budman!

4C7BF338-2062-461D-910F-E54FBC12E499 (resized).jpeg
    #17 1 year ago

I haven't had a tree in a few years. I moved my elderly parents into my house and my mother hated the holidays. I had a tree when my dad was alive (he loved the holidays!), but nothing after he closed the last chapter of his life at 88. My mother moved into assisted living this May, so it's time for a tree again. I don't really have any family, but I enjoy putting up all the holiday decorations I've acquired over the years and reminiscing. This one's for you, Dad! (He liked the games, too, and was a great guy!)

IMG_1209 (resized).jpg
    #18 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Done![quoted image]

Have one of those. It sits on the kitchen table.

#19 1 year ago

The fiber optic.
    20181212_075701 (1) (resized).jpg

Have not used a real tree since 1976. Currently own 2 artificial trees. A 6 foot fiber optic, and a 4 foot. This year I've set up the smaller tree with 50 lights on it. Noticed that the small tree is dropping some needles, it must be time for a newer one. Also own a Peanuts Tree, but that is more of a decoration.

#20 1 year ago

I used to do an 8 foot balsam fir. Lights, antique ornaments, garland.

I loved going home and opening the door and smelling the pine tree. Really added to the holiday and made it special for me.

LTG : )

#21 1 year ago

Always a real tree. We've been going to the same seller now for several years, and always find a beautiful, symmetrical tree for $40 all in.
    Merry Christmas to you, Kris and all you pinheads.

#22 1 year ago

Those smell awesome. I had a tree lot when I was a teen. It was all fun and made a few bucks for a while.

#23 1 year ago

My tree isn't drinking much this year. Think its a Frasier Fir and I payed $70 for about a 6 foot tree.

#SAD

At least I know I can toss it on the curb in a couple weeks

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

My tree isn't drinking much this year.

Drill a few holes around the perimeter of the base below the water line to help it if it needs it.

#25 1 year ago

Bought a new artificial tree this year.

Every day I spend a little time fiddling with it - over Wi-Fi on my phone with their app:

#26 1 year ago

We’ve always had a real tree. I think it may be less time investment for us than an artificial tree. We drove to Lowe’s less than a mile away, got a thin Frasier Fir for a corner in our living room, just put it in the Ford Escape without any netting around it (it fit just fine), brought it in the house and put it in the stand. When we’re done with it, it just goes to the curb. Easy peasy.

image (resized).jpg
    #27 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Drill a few holes around the perimeter of the base below the water line to help it if it needs it.

Way back when I sold trees we always made a new cut and drilled a hole when purchased. I had forgotten that we used to do all that.

#28 1 year ago

Prefer to get fresh cut ones when we have the time, which we did this year. Can't beat the smell. 8 foot silver spruce, I think it is.

IMG_20191210_002748 (1) (resized).jpg

#29 1 year ago

Customers loved me way back when I was selling trees. I kept all the limbs I had trimmed for the stands to fit, and gave them for free to anyone wanting to make a wreath. That free limb pile always got a lot of smiles.

And I never had many trees to go unsold, and the 7 average that did never went to a landfill, but instead was used in lakes to help fish.

And really I am surprised more fisherman are not doing all they can to get more trees for their spot on the lake. (sink it with a concrete block and rope).

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Grocery store

They're nice to you too, really helpful, which is weird, coming from the Northeast.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I thought I saw Winn Dixies down where I was but hell, I could be wrong.

Yup, Winn Dixie down there as well as Publix...

#32 1 year ago

Little ceramic tree that my mom made in ceramics class ages ago. The same one that everyone else has, but hey, my mom made this one for me!

Don

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.95
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1.00
    Various Other Swag
    Pinside Shop
    $ 89.00
    Boards
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.50
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 12.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 88.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 139.00
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 5.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.95
    Tools
    Magaro Machines

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside