(Topic ID: 72642)

Oh Carp, mt F-14 just took a dump on me. HELP!!

By GPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
PS PCB-768.JPG
PS PCB.JPG
switch-294.JPG
DSC01128.JPG
f14.JPG
switch-295.JPG
switch-472.JPG
carp-14.jpg
There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago

Hello Pato

I must apologize for my greenness here. Please bare with me. I removed the connector on the psb that I have took a picture if and reseated it. The general illum lights now seem to be just fine. I have read that this connector can be problematic. These lights may have been working previously but just noticed last eve that they were out. Maybe when I took the psb out to do the diode mod to help save the gas displays it did not seat just perfectly to allow those gen illum lights to work. That seems to be ok now. Appreciate your hanging in there with me!!

I went ahead and did a test if the power transistors on the main PCB and according to the test that u did where I out my meter on buzz and had one lead to the games ground strap and touched the other lead to the sink if the transistors, I got continuity or "buzz" on the following
Q75, q71 and q69. Also q17 and q14. I cannot imagine that all these transistors are ahirted open and the game cold even work closely to how it was designed. Maybe wrong here.

I am grateful for your input Pato

Gimage.jpgimage.jpg

#102 10 years ago

Ok, what you are seeing then is simple GI connector burn out. That is very common. It is cause by underdesign/overload of the GI bulbs circuits.

As you are now running LED that will not happen again.

If the connector is really burnt bad, you will want to replace that connector. From the pic it does not look bad at all.
If the connector is just mildly burnt, and your reseat of the connector cleared up the problem, you are done. No more testing/removing components or you may/will end up breaking something.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Ok, what you are seeing then is simple GI connector burn out. That is very common. It is cause by underdesign/overload of the GI bulbs circuits.
As you are now running LED that will not happen again.
If the connector is really burnt bad, you will want to replace that connector. From the pic it does not look bad at all.
If the connector is just mildly burnt, and your reseat of the connector cleared up the problem, you are done. No more testing/removing components or you may/will end up breaking something.

Pato

Doesn't seem like you have too much faith in me. Ha ha

I know I am green here but I do wish to learn to be somewhat self sufficient on these games. I start my burst in about a week so I have that much time to fiddle around before I am done till December. Maybe a good thing huh?!! What is your take on the transistor scenario. Followed the troubleshooting manual to a t and it seems straight forward enough but maybe I am missing something. Entirely possible

Thanks Pato

G

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

I went ahead and did a test if the power transistors on the main PCB and according to the test that u did where I out my meter on buzz and had one lead to the games ground strap and touched the other lead to the sink if the transistors, I got continuity or "buzz" on the following
Q75, q71 and q69. Also q17 and q14. I cannot imagine that all these transistors are ahirted open and the game cold even work closely to how it was designed. Maybe wrong here.
I am grateful for your input Pato
G

G,
All those transistors that "buzz" when you are testing continuity from ground to tab (sink) are indeed bad. They are shorted, not open - this means they are conducting all the time. Any device operated by those transistors is going to be stuck on when power is applied, if power and coil are good. In your case it is the left &right kicker, jet bumper, flasher 9 and 10, according to the transistor numbers you mentioned.

#105 10 years ago

Hi Wayout

That's what I thought but the jet bumper for instance is not stuck on and to my knowledge nothing else is as the game seems to operate properly. When you say left and right kicker are you referring to the along shots as if so, they are working as they should too. Kind of not understanding this too well. Sorry to say

Thank you Wayout

G

#106 10 years ago

At this point what exactly are you trying to fix?

You had a flaky pop bumper that turned out to be a switch adjustment.
You proactively changed the zeners on the P/S to lower the display voltages.
You had a some GU out due to a connector issue that is all set.

Why are you randomly testing all of your transistors?
Do you have another problem that your trying to isolate that I am missing?

I'm lost.

#107 10 years ago

Hi Pato

I seem to be frustrating and I do not mean to do that. What I am trying to do is learn about these machines so that when there is some noob like me down the road I can pay it back and in between now and then have some fun learning

I was reading in the service manual for Syst 11 that a good way to check the output transistors is to check for continuity between the heat sink (base) and the ground strap in the machine. If one gets continuity the transistor is shorted and needs replacing. Just checking mine here to make sure all is ok I suppose

Well I start doing this and end up with five or so that do show continuity but the game appears to work correctly. As Wayout reported the one transistor that I have that is supposedly shorted controls the jet bumper. Now if it is shorted which it is indicating the jet bumper should not be working correctly. Problem is it is working

I am not trying to be the bane of anyone's existence and maybe I just need to take a break from asking questions. Very possible. I tend to be a bit intense some times in my desire to learn

That's all Pato. Hope you have a good eve

G

#108 10 years ago

Perhaps something is wrong with your test method/test equipment? Perhaps the wrong transistors are installed? Eliminate your DMM from the equation, all you need is an alligator clip lead. From the guide:

Testing TIP122/102 Transistor and Down-Stream Wiring/Coil.
If the coil fires in the above test, you may have a transistor problem. You can also test the TIP122/102 transistors this way. Only do this for the TIP122 or TIP102 transistors! Damage can occur if this test is done on other transistors (like TIP42 or TIP36). This test will test everything from the CPU board down to the coil itself. If the TIP122/102 and coil pass this test, and your coil still doesn't work in game play, you have a problem more "up stream". All that is left is the 2N4401 pre-driver transistor, and the logic TTL chip that ultimately controls the whole process (a 7402 for the special solenoids or 7408 for the standard solenoids).

Game is on, and in diagnostic mode (push the center red coin door button down, and press the black button closest to the coin door; this will put the game in diagnostics mode).
Remove the backglass.
Find the transistor that controls the coil and/or flasher in question (refer to the manual).
Attach an alligator clip to the grounding strap in the bottom of the backbox.
Momentarily touch the other lead of the alligator clip to the metal tab on the TIP122/102 transistor (only works on these).
The coil or flasher should fire.

#109 10 years ago

Thank you very much Wayout. Merry Christmas

G

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi Pato
I seem to be frustrating and I do not mean to do that. What I am trying to do is learn about these machines so that when there is some noob like me down the road I can pay it back and in between now and then have some fun learning
I was reading in the service manual for Syst 11 that a good way to check the output transistors is to check for continuity between the heat sink (base) and the ground strap in the machine. If one gets continuity the transistor is shorted and needs replacing. Just checking mine here to make sure all is ok I suppose
Well I start doing this and end up with five or so that do show continuity but the game appears to work correctly. As Wayout reported the one transistor that I have that is supposedly shorted controls the jet bumper. Now if it is shorted which it is indicating the jet bumper should not be working correctly. Problem is it is working
I am not trying to be the bane of anyone's existence and maybe I just need to take a break from asking questions. Very possible. I tend to be a bit intense some times in my desire to learn
That's all Pato. Hope you have a good eve
G

Not being a bane. "but the game appears to work correctly" It's just very hard helping you fix something when I do not know what you are trying to fix.

It's all well and good trying to learn, but no where do I see what you are troubleshooting. It looks like your looking for problems on a running machine. Not a good way to learn.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oh-carp-mt-f-14-just-took-a-dump-on-me-help/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.