6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by lol_implied
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Documented!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Fresh outta the car, not even a rag on it yet:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#3 6 years ago

Sweet! Only played FT at jons. What a great game.

#4 6 years ago

Wow, I'm no sure I've ever seen a Fish Tales with a non-faded cabinet.

#6 6 years ago

Great score. Enjoy

#7 6 years ago

Glass on pics:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#8 6 years ago

It's really a Beauty. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Sweet! Only played FT at jons. What a great game.

That's how I decided I liked it. Hard game, I totally suck at it, and the lightening flips don't help. I was really wondering if this was going to be a clean game - let alone truly HUO - or a big "fish tale", but its real.

#10 6 years ago

DAMN!!

I'm not sure I've ever seen a HUO FT come up for sale. If you ever decide to sell it, let me know...seriously.

#11 6 years ago

Damm that's nice. Congrats.

#12 6 years ago

Congrats nice game one of my all time favorites.

#13 6 years ago

Looks like a beauty. Congrats!

#14 6 years ago

Do you mind saying how you found it? You don't have to give specific details or anything. I just like to hear the story when people come across such great finds. I keep hoping to luck into something like this one day.

#15 6 years ago

whoever said cash was king was wrong =) condition is.

Nice score. Congrats and enjoy. Simple but fast and furious game.

#16 6 years ago

Sweeeet...I'd like to get a FT someday. Hopefully the one I find is this nice!

#17 6 years ago

I've had the net out at least five times now on FT and had her spit the hook all five times. That is one elusive pin for me. well, they all pretty much are. I need to use bigger bait.

#18 6 years ago

That's the balls, Nelson! Truly a great find!

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

Do you mind saying how you found it? You don't have to give specific details or anything. I just like to hear the story when people come across such great finds. I keep hoping to luck into something like this one day.

It's a pretty amazing story actually. I'm still shaking my head in amazement, because while I look for games and deals all the time, its rare when there's a confluence of cash, room, availability and luck. I'm glad my wife didn't give me too much grief for exceeding our agreed upon limit of 5 (space/cash considerations) and for arranging the deal without telling her about it.

So....it's starts pretty simple. I hadn't checked CL for awhile. Tired filtering through the same old stuff, alot of it overpriced or just not what I'm looking for, etc. But I started to again around the time I put TFLE up for sale. Over a month ago now. I was determined to get a decent Bally/Williams and I wanted to check everything. There was some decent stuff for sale, but mostly too expensive as I still needed to sell TFLE...then I saw the Fish Tales. I want to say one dark pic of the whole pin not even turned on but i think it was NO pic. Its way out on Long Island (which is not only a long haul but traffic SUCKS) and a very short description (like new) with a phone number. I wasn't sure, but the ad seemed very familiar. And I was right. Over the last few years the seller has literally had it on CL for $4k, $3.5 and $3k. I last remember seeing the price earlier this summer at $3k.

Well, the guy wasn't trying too hard. In my conversations with him he said that he finally was in a position where he hadn't played the game in a long time and actually could use the money for something now, so he was reducing the price to his rock bottom and really try and sell it. But again, seemingly not too hard, because he didn't feel like taking pictures and sending them to people and most people cancelled or kept postponing appointments or they just totally flaked on the dude. one guy was there to buy the game and lowballed him, and he was just tired of the whole process.

So...enter me. When I saw the game at a price I thought was great if the game was truly not routed, I called the number and left a message. Not knowing any of the preceding details, I figured the game was long gone...or the ad was BS and the seller was really selling a pos. The next day the guy called me and we spoke. The guy was so nice, told me the whole story...was won from a radio station, winner had no interest and sold it the next week to my seller...in December of 1993. Who took it out of the box and put it in his basement, about 20 years ago. He kept saying its really nice, hardly even played the last 10 years...(blah blah blah Im thinking...why is it still available!?)... He even claimed to have replaced the batteries every year! For 20 years! (Riiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhtttttt...uh-huh).

So now it gets good. I tell him I want it, but I honestly don't know how I could possibly get it anytime soon. I'd need to get a friend with a big enough car to help me (two pinsiders can verify this happening) and I couldn't see it happening for at least three weeks, because I had a busy week of work, then a vacation to CA, and then another work week until...today. The guy says "I'll hold it for you"...Im incredulous, but thankful, and I tell the guy Im in, Im serious, I will buy it as soon as I can arrange it once Im back from vacation. I'm a little dubious, but the guy seems very sincere.

I was having a little trouble arranging help but was pretty sure I could get it done this weekend, when he called me earlier this week to confirm I was still interested. I said yes indeed and I told him I was really trying for today. He said "just let me know".

There's another tidbit that make this story a tad more curious, but I'm going to refrain from that detail. In closing, the game waiting, as promised. A little dusty, and a nick or two on the cab and head, but a beautiful game inside and out. The art is so vivid on the side that the boat looks real and like its coming out of the water at you! The topper looks brand new and that fish tail flops like crazy. The lightening flippers look new. Shooter rod a little dirty but nearly perfect. And it doesn't look like a coin has ever been through the coindoor to me. The game is 21 years old and looks amazing. There's documentation to back the story. I'd never swear on my life the game is HUO because I wasn't there. But it sure as hell looks like it. I can't believe I got his lucky. Im really stoked!!

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

DAMN!!
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a HUO FT come up for sale. If you ever decide to sell it, let me know...seriously.

You got it Brian. thanks. I'd love to make a trade with you someday...for one of your quality machines! That would be awesome.

#21 6 years ago

Congrats. A HUO FT is not something you see every day!

#22 6 years ago

So what was the sale price?

#23 6 years ago

I paid his asking price of $2,500.

#24 6 years ago

Congratulations ! What a find.

LTG : )

#25 6 years ago

Wow! Hell of a price. A routed one just sold locally for 3K...

#26 6 years ago

I thought it seemed like an excellent price but I have no concept of what it might be "worth". I've wanted to own and enjoy the game, and that's why I bought it.

#27 6 years ago

Congrats! Great score. Almost as nice as mine...

#28 6 years ago

Congrats, you caught yourself a keeper!

#29 6 years ago

Very nice purchase. I finally purchased a FT....but it was ridden hard and put to bed wet.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from rad:

Very nice purchase. I finally purchased a FT....but it was ridden hard and put to bed wet.

Nice Analyze This reference! Love it!

#31 6 years ago

Nice find Nelson!

I have seen that one for sale many times - like 5 years ago? but it was always $4k or more if I recall. The radio station thing always sounded fishy (no pun intended) to me. Timing is everything!!

Congrats.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Nice Analyze This reference! Love it!

Awesome score, hey check the fishing rod plunger and see if there is a light on it that works, apparently there is a rumour that if they work it could be a prototype version but you have lightning bolt flippers where as prototypes had standard flippers.........

#33 6 years ago

Awesome pickup TFA! Great price, great game. Grats!

#34 6 years ago

Awesome score!

Wondering if I could trouble you to post some long shots showing both entire cabinet sides please (when you have some time)?

Reason I ask is the original flyer doesn't show the cabinet sides...and on this title, I've never had a clear understanding of exactly how orange the game is supposed to be (say from the flipper buttons to back about the halfway point on the lower cabinet).

I THINK it's supposed to have a graduated fade from that halfway point to the flipper buttons (and below)...but I'm obviously not exactly sure.

I've watched the promo video, and I think that's the case compared to the replacement decals that are pretty much solid orange in this area (thinking they're too dark); not 100% sure because the video is unfortunately very poor quality.

Quite exciting that the game was apparently in the original owner's basement this entire time--and that possibly a zero-fade example may have emerged!

Many thanks and congrats again.

#35 6 years ago

Man that orange stands out like dogs balls

#36 6 years ago

Neil, this is what I have now:

Right side.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#37 6 years ago

Left side:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#38 6 years ago

Such great art on that game!

#39 6 years ago

It's the dudes shirt that blows my mind now. Just noticed all the colors. First it was the reds, than it was the boat, but that shirt is crazy!

#40 6 years ago

Nice legs!

image.jpg

#41 6 years ago

Just keep it away from any windows, LOL. Nice pick-up! That's a beauty.

#42 6 years ago

Zero fade!! I think that's the best cab I've ever seen!

#43 6 years ago

Thanks for the story, that's a great pick up. Just goes to show that even though they may to be tougher to find, there are still great deals still to be found. Very nice!

#44 6 years ago

Awesome Nelson--sure answers this question for me now; many thanks once again!

#45 6 years ago

Beautiful......

#46 6 years ago

Just got my munted FTs back up and running yesterday, had to buy a new CPU board as the other one (still not the original as it had the wrong part number -xx at the end) had battery acid damage, bloody neglectful previous owners/ops. I really have been enjoying playing it again though with no errors for a change, mine is the negative of yours though its faded, routed and continuously booted by the looks of it, yours looks awesome and as new original condition, a keeper for sure. Well done on a great score.

Mark.

Front of cab has the most colour, sides are bleached almost white.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Magazines/books
    The Flipper Room
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Women
    The Flipper Room
    £ 80.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 157.00
    $ 239.00
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 43.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside