(Topic ID: 60348)

Officially a part of the pinball hobby! :)

By Vladtheimpaler-8

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Sharon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

I suck balls at soldering, but this video helped me out. Get a decent soldering iron and practice.

#52 10 years ago

You can't buy just one...

#53 10 years ago

White Rose show is awesome for parts and has quite a few machine and projects for sale, bought my a machine last time I was there. Its a smaller show but good.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I suck balls at soldering, but this video helped me out. Get a decent soldering iron and practice.
» YouTube video

awesome..thanks!

#55 10 years ago

congrats, and welcome. 2 classic gottliebs is a great place to start.

#56 10 years ago

I used to solder for my dad when I was a kid, but of course, never really knew anything about it other than 'it sticks wires together', and 'don't touch the hot end'. Funny what comes back to you. Well, except for the not touching the hot end. I thought I'd put the desolderer upside down in the holder so the tip wouldn't be so close to the tabletop, reached across it and burned the heck out of my arm. Lesson learned lol.

I started with one, my husband surprised me with it. Best gift ever. Then I read about someone getting rid of several nearby, and brought home two project pins, couldn't resist the price and unique factor (a bingo and a 1947 woodrail). Then, of course, reading about different machines daily, and compiling a list in my head of what I really wanted, I picked up another, that was let go at half the asking price if I did the work myself. Who could resist? Then I went to Allentown, and found one I had to bring home. Oops, my husband said the limit was four. But then I found another one that was on my wish list, and brought that one home too. Now I'm two over my limit and he won't even let me talk about different machines lol. I'm told that when the older kids move out, I can turn the basement bedroom into more gameroom, so I WILL have room for several more when they move out. Is that not the right reason to push them out of the nest?

Really, with the first one, I still can't be sure I wasn't more happy when I saw under the playfield at all the mechanics than I was with having one to play.

#57 10 years ago

Welcome to pinside Dracula.

Congrats on your 2 new pins.
Fun EM titles.

#58 10 years ago

Glad you love it and welcome! I spent a little more, but to catch the wife sneaking in a few games.....priceless!

Steve

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

When you can solder a board without leaving a trace, you are ready.

Don't you mean without lifting a trace?

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

I used to solder for my dad when I was a kid, but of course, never really knew anything about it other than 'it sticks wires together', and 'don't touch the hot end'. Funny what comes back to you. Well, except for the not touching the hot end. I thought I'd put the desolderer upside down in the holder so the tip wouldn't be so close to the tabletop, reached across it and burned the heck out of my arm. Lesson learned lol.
I started with one, my husband surprised me with it. Best gift ever. Then I read about someone getting rid of several nearby, and brought home two project pins, couldn't resist the price and unique factor (a bingo and a 1947 woodrail). Then, of course, reading about different machines daily, and compiling a list in my head of what I really wanted, I picked up another, that was let go at half the asking price if I did the work myself. Who could resist? Then I went to Allentown, and found one I had to bring home. Oops, my husband said the limit was four. But then I found another one that was on my wish list, and brought that one home too. Now I'm two over my limit and he won't even let me talk about different machines lol. I'm told that when the older kids move out, I can turn the basement bedroom into more gameroom, so I WILL have room for several more when they move out. Is that not the right reason to push them out of the nest?
Really, with the first one, I still can't be sure I wasn't more happy when I saw under the playfield at all the mechanics than I was with having one to play.

That's a great story Sharon. I guess other than the burned arm part, although sometimes it takes tough lessons for us to remember. Yeah, I am already wandering around the house imagining where pins can go, although I think I am limited to the basement, b/c of noise. I live in a townhouse, and its a middle unit, so I am already wondering and worrying about just how much the neighbors are going to be able to hear my arcade, which of course, leads me to start thinking about moving! All b/c I bought my first MAME arcade machine, and 2 pinball machines!!! I only have room for 4 total pins in the basement, since my pool table takes up most of the room, and I have already had a thought about getting rid of that too, but I really like it, so for now I won't. I just hate the thought of being limited to only 4 pins!!! What happens when I buy 2 more and am at capacity, and then I see a great deal on one of the top pins on my wishlist??? I have seen the virtual pinball machines, but just doesn't seem the same to me as having the actual pins.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

Don't you mean without lifting a trace?

No, I mean leaving a trace. If there is no way to tell that you just soldered something because you haven't left a trace of extra solder, then you are ready. This is a reference to the old "Kung Fu" TV series where David Carradine had to walk on rice paper without leaving a trace before he could become a Shou Lin monk.

#62 10 years ago

Welcome to the hobby Vlad,
I owned a '73 Gottlieb Jack In The Box pinball machine for about 7 yrs. As you probably know, that's the 4-player pin like Jumping Jack. It was a great feeling to buy a pinball machine like one I use to play as a teenager. Had fun cleaning it up, replacing broken parts, and of course playing it. Just as you have done, I started out buying/collecting Gottlieb pins from the 70's, both e-m's and early ss pins. Then branched out to pins of other manuf's in the past 3 yrs or so.

Have fun at upcoming pinball shows/expos/festivals. Definitely worth checking some out that aren't too far away. I've been to a few in the past yr or two.

Cheers!

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Welcome to the hobby Vlad,
I owned a '73 Gottlieb Jack In The Box pinball machine for about 7 yrs. As you probably know, that's the 4-player pin like Jumping Jack. It was a great feeling to buy a pinball machine like one I use to play as a teenager. Had fun cleaning it up, replacing broken parts, and of course playing it. Just as you have done, I started out buying/collecting Gottlieb pins from the 70's, both e-m's and early ss pins. Then branched out to pins of other manuf's in the past 3 yrs or so.
Have fun at upcoming pinball shows/expos/festivals. Definitely worth checking some out that aren't too far away. I've been to a few in the past yr or two.
Cheers!

Thanks! Sounds like I will definitely be following the path that you followed. Given that I only really have space for 4 machines, I can see myself fixing Dragon and keeping it and playing it for awhile, but down the road parting with it to make room for something higher on my wishlist. Jumping Jack on the other hand, will be hard to part with.

#64 10 years ago

Welcome to the Pinside community!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

No, I mean leaving a trace. If there is no way to tell that you just soldered something because you haven't left a trace of extra solder, then you are ready. This is a reference to the old "Kung Fu" TV series where David Carradine had to walk on rice paper without leaving a trace before he could become a Shou Lin monk.

I used to watch that show all the time! Good times. LOL I'm fixing up a Haunted House and a good part of that resoldering is removing the prior repairers 'traces'. You could have resoldered with a hairdryer and not left a trace if you were only trying to make it look the same.

Quoted from Vladtheimpaler-8:

I live in a townhouse, and its a middle unit, so I am already wondering and worrying about just how much the neighbors are going to be able to hear my arcade

There's an article about soundproofing your cabinet, I haven't tried any of it, but there's a bedroom at the end of my basement, and I'm told that with the door shut, the pin can't be heard at all. Neighbors above and below, though...Maybe some rubber feet or an extra carpet piece or something. Here's the article: http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_pinball_noise.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/officially-a-part-of-the-pinball-hobby/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.