(Topic ID: 73770)

OFFICIAL WOZ 1.24 glitches and suggestions thread

By StevenP

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

OK, my update to 1.24 went smoothly and I'm keeping the new factory default settings (coils, etc.) except for tweaking the witch's legs timing on the house. So this is the new thread to post glitch reports and suggestions forth latest firmware version.

[Edit: the top rollover lane lights do work when you make the flashing rollover skill shot--I was looking for that earlier and I swore it wasn't working, but it is!]

suggestions:

the EB insert light is now orange (yay!) but when it flashes for the ball save, it's BLUE!

need sound for the winkie guard target.

the status screens work better (you can scroll with flipper button) butthey still auto-scroll after several seconds. I think keeping them static until a flipper button is pressed or released is better so you have time to check details.

i still don't see a helpful/accessible display for hoadc. Only the brief horse display when you make a shot; no way to check status during the game.

The game definitely 'feels' more together with this update. Any more things to report? (someone reported a system freeze when starting tnplh, but I've done it a few times with no lroblem.)

#3 10 years ago

one mre suggestion: a menu option to make the LED inserts significantly dimmer! This will help make the playfield easier to see, not as dark. The 'cool' (dimmest) option is still way too bright.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I thought there is one already in the settings.

There are 3 or 4 settings for insert brightness. But, as I noted in my post, the dimmest one is still WAY too bright. The easiest way to make the game more playable and reduce complaints about poor GI lighting is to add settings that make the inserts MUCH dimmer than they are now.

BTW, the EB/ballsaver insert was traditionally orange for most games over decades. They changed the shoot again insert (non-flashing for an EB) to orange with this release, but the flashing ballsave is blue. It's a visual cue that will 'register' with experienced players if it's flashing orange and near the flippers, but is just another insert if it's blue.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Dimmer Inserts won't help with the poor GI.

yes it will. a lot. think about it. if you can't figure it out, i'll explain later.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Please explain. The only thing that helped my WOZ was adding spotlights. Fail to see how less light will make more light. Maybe my common sense is getting in the way of rationalism.

OK. (Was posting from phone earlier so long messages are a PITA!)

The inserts don't illuminate the pf at all. (Insert light comes up from below, not down onto the pf.) What they do is direct fairly intense light right into your eyes when you look at the pf during play. That shrinks your pupils, so that everything else looks dark. Which is why the WOZ pf looks pretty dark, esp. between the flippers, even in a slightly lit room. As an example, shine a bright flashlight momentarily into your eyes; everything else will look dark for a while. When playing WOZ, the inserts keep your pupils small, so the barely-lit pf looks really dark by comparison.

As another comparison, look at the intensity of WOZ inserts compared to a regular pin with incandescent inserts. GI aside, that light will make everything else look darker and *not* illuminate the pf at all. In fact, it has the opposite effect. This is why I don't like many pins retrofitted with LEDs; they make it harder to see and follow the ball because of this effect, and sometimes cause the flicker/strobing that I find annoying.

Now, dimming the insert LEDs to a reasonable level (less bright, less saturated) will result in your pupils being more dilated, so the rest of the pf WILL be more visible and won't look so dark, even with a moderate amount of GI. Which is why I will repeat this request:

PLEASE UPDATE THE WOZ SOFTWARE TO ALLOW **SIGNIFICANT** DIMMING OF THE INSERT LEDS!!!! IT WILL MAKE THE PLAYFIELD EASIER TO SEE AND MORE PLAYABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 10 years ago

I did get a glitch in the crystal ball showing the "random" upside-down text, I believe it was during a munchkinland mode, but it fixed itself shortly thereafter.

One suggestion: During Twister mode, the arrow insert on the left side of the mini-pf should CHANGE COLOR to indicate when you have enough loops to enter the current munchkinland mode. To be fancy/informative, maybe have it flash orange when you need 10 or fewer loops, flash red when you need 5 or fewer loops, and light up solid green once you have activated the mode.

Right now, it just lights or flashes an off-white color, with no indication of loop progress.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

So the game still has no jackpot call outs? Did they switch up the music yet for different features ? I know on. 1.23 it still just keeps playing the main loop which gets very annoying

DISCLAIMER: Derek is now a Stern distributor, and has begun the activity of taking subtle digs at WOZ frequently on Pinside.

Mods, take note.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The 4 way split must go? That's not going to happen especially at this point and it does its job fine.
What pin other then music pins have multiple theme songs? None I can think of off the top of my head. Not MM, not LOTR, not STTNG, not TZ and not even ST...

Yeah, but ST isn't burdened by a 4-way split screen!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-woz-124-glitches-and-suggestions-thread?tu=stevenp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.