(Topic ID: 73770)

OFFICIAL WOZ 1.24 glitches and suggestions thread

By StevenP

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

OK, my update to 1.24 went smoothly and I'm keeping the new factory default settings (coils, etc.) except for tweaking the witch's legs timing on the house. So this is the new thread to post glitch reports and suggestions forth latest firmware version.

[Edit: the top rollover lane lights do work when you make the flashing rollover skill shot--I was looking for that earlier and I swore it wasn't working, but it is!]

suggestions:

the EB insert light is now orange (yay!) but when it flashes for the ball save, it's BLUE!

need sound for the winkie guard target.

the status screens work better (you can scroll with flipper button) butthey still auto-scroll after several seconds. I think keeping them static until a flipper button is pressed or released is better so you have time to check details.

i still don't see a helpful/accessible display for hoadc. Only the brief horse display when you make a shot; no way to check status during the game.

The game definitely 'feels' more together with this update. Any more things to report? (someone reported a system freeze when starting tnplh, but I've done it a few times with no lroblem.)

#2 10 years ago

Not a glitch. But I thought worth mentioning here. Anytime you do a Full System Install, you'll need to recalibrate the spinning house and legs kick out.

Easy to do. If you need help, please email me [email protected] and let me know and I'll send you the link to Daniel Tonk's video that shows how easy it is.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

one mre suggestion: a menu option to make the LED inserts significantly dimmer! This will help make the playfield easier to see, not as dark. The 'cool' (dimmest) option is still way too bright.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

one mre suggestion: a menu option to make the LED inserts significantly dimmer! This will help make the playfield easier to see, not as dark. The 'cool' (dimmest) option is still way too bright.

I thought there is one already in the settings.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

the EB insert light is now orange (yay!) but when it flashes for the ball save, it's BLUE!

Maybe that's intentional, it sounds like it would be cool to have a different colour for the ball save and extra ball, no?

#6 10 years ago

Turn the ball save off and it won't bother you

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I thought there is one already in the settings.

There are 3 or 4 settings for insert brightness. But, as I noted in my post, the dimmest one is still WAY too bright. The easiest way to make the game more playable and reduce complaints about poor GI lighting is to add settings that make the inserts MUCH dimmer than they are now.

BTW, the EB/ballsaver insert was traditionally orange for most games over decades. They changed the shoot again insert (non-flashing for an EB) to orange with this release, but the flashing ballsave is blue. It's a visual cue that will 'register' with experienced players if it's flashing orange and near the flippers, but is just another insert if it's blue.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

There are 3 or 4 settings for insert brightness. But, as I noted in my post, the dimmest one is still WAY too bright. The easiest way to make the game more playable and reduce complaints about poor GI lighting is to add settings that make the inserts MUCH dimmer than they are now.
BTW, the EB/ballsaver insert was traditionally orange for most games over decades. They changed the shoot again insert (non-flashing for an EB) to orange with this release, but the flashing ballsave is blue. It's a visual cue that will 'register' with experienced players if it's flashing orange and near the flippers, but is just another insert if it's blue.

Dimmer Inserts won't help with the poor GI.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Dimmer Inserts won't help with the poor GI.

yes it will. a lot. think about it. if you can't figure it out, i'll explain later.

#10 10 years ago

Extra ball needs to be on 20 YBR trips, not 10, put the points on 10 and the extra ball on 20, 20 in a row is honesty not that difficult, the ramp feeds itself at just the right speed to continue hitting it over and over

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

yes it will. a lot. think about it. if you can't figure it out, i'll explain later.

Please explain. The only thing that helped my WOZ was adding spotlights. Fail to see how less light will make more light. Maybe my common sense is getting in the way of rationalism.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Please explain. The only thing that helped my WOZ was adding spotlights. Fail to see how less light will make more light. Maybe my common sense is getting in the way of rationalism.

OK. (Was posting from phone earlier so long messages are a PITA!)

The inserts don't illuminate the pf at all. (Insert light comes up from below, not down onto the pf.) What they do is direct fairly intense light right into your eyes when you look at the pf during play. That shrinks your pupils, so that everything else looks dark. Which is why the WOZ pf looks pretty dark, esp. between the flippers, even in a slightly lit room. As an example, shine a bright flashlight momentarily into your eyes; everything else will look dark for a while. When playing WOZ, the inserts keep your pupils small, so the barely-lit pf looks really dark by comparison.

As another comparison, look at the intensity of WOZ inserts compared to a regular pin with incandescent inserts. GI aside, that light will make everything else look darker and *not* illuminate the pf at all. In fact, it has the opposite effect. This is why I don't like many pins retrofitted with LEDs; they make it harder to see and follow the ball because of this effect, and sometimes cause the flicker/strobing that I find annoying.

Now, dimming the insert LEDs to a reasonable level (less bright, less saturated) will result in your pupils being more dilated, so the rest of the pf WILL be more visible and won't look so dark, even with a moderate amount of GI. Which is why I will repeat this request:

PLEASE UPDATE THE WOZ SOFTWARE TO ALLOW **SIGNIFICANT** DIMMING OF THE INSERT LEDS!!!! IT WILL MAKE THE PLAYFIELD EASIER TO SEE AND MORE PLAYABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 10 years ago

Same reason you can dim the dash lights in cars and trucks, surprised this cannot be done for different room lighting conditions for WOZ. I thought Jack mentioned that it might be added in the future but I cannot find where he actually said that.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

OK. (Was posting from phone earlier so long messages are a PITA!)
The inserts don't illuminate the pf at all. (Insert light comes up from below, not down onto the pf.) What they do is direct fairly intense light right into your eyes when you look at the pf during play. That shrinks your pupils, so that everything else looks dark. Which is why the WOZ pf looks pretty dark, esp. between the flippers, even in a slightly lit room. As an example, shine a bright flashlight momentarily into your eyes; everything else will look dark for a while. When playing WOZ, the inserts keep your pupils small, so the barely-lit pf looks really dark by comparison.
As another comparison, look at the intensity of WOZ inserts compared to a regular pin with incandescent inserts. GI aside, that light will make everything else look darker and *not* illuminate the pf at all. In fact, it has the opposite effect. This is why I don't like many pins retrofitted with LEDs; they make it harder to see and follow the ball because of this effect, and sometimes cause the flicker/strobing that I find annoying.
Now, dimming the insert LEDs to a reasonable level (less bright, less saturated) will result in your pupils being more dilated, so the rest of the pf WILL be more visible and won't look so dark, even with a moderate amount of GI. Which is why I will repeat this request:
PLEASE UPDATE THE WOZ SOFTWARE TO ALLOW **SIGNIFICANT** DIMMING OF THE INSERT LEDS!!!! IT WILL MAKE THE PLAYFIELD EASIER TO SEE AND MORE PLAYABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Good explanation of what I thought was common knowledge to most everyone. But I suggest being proactive and putting the spotlight kit in. It is well worth it, because just like the annoying strobing YBR insert lights that still haven't been addressed, I'm guessing the decision to leave it as is has been finalized. I mean how hard would it be to lower the intensity and strobing inserts? The fact that they haven't yet means someone at JJP knows better than we do what we like. ......Damn those stupid stobing lights.

#15 10 years ago

During battle the witch, when you lock a ball in the Winkie guard VUK and immediately drain the other ball, there is a wait period before the game recognizes the drain and ends the witch mode and thus finally kicks the locked ball up and drains it through the castle pf (I believe the upper pf flipper is disabled).
I experienced this on my game and another game. I am going to melt that witch soon enough!
Anyways, could use a shorter wait period there.

Also, I have ball save off as default. However, crystal ball mode could possibly use a 2-3 second ball save for modes like reverse flipper and no hold flippers. I have not yet got to reverse on newest code yet though to verify one isn't there. Maybe this is as intended because it is a 2x scoring (or 3x) mode. As it is, the player must be immediately prepared for the ball feed (as well as prepared for whatever nuance the mode uses) from the crystal ball after the mode starts. It just felt like a cheap drain. Maybe my feelings will change as I experience the crystal modes more and then hopefully don't screw it up.

#16 10 years ago

I'll check into that Skulz. May just be a quick timer change. Or it may be the modes ending before the game processes the ball in the trough.

#17 10 years ago

Btw, just an fyi, my Woz started going into ball search mode upon hitting the start button all of a sudden. So, somehow a ball got lost and I just dropped another in there. Works fine now! No idea where that other ball is....

#18 10 years ago

May have jumped over the backboard? Happened once to me in like 3000 games. Couldn't find it for 2 days. Flipped the playfield up and heard it fall into the cab

P.s. There is an option I'm pretty sure to allow it to start with less than 5 balls. It will still do 1 ball search though to try to find it.

#19 10 years ago

I did get a glitch in the crystal ball showing the "random" upside-down text, I believe it was during a munchkinland mode, but it fixed itself shortly thereafter.

One suggestion: During Twister mode, the arrow insert on the left side of the mini-pf should CHANGE COLOR to indicate when you have enough loops to enter the current munchkinland mode. To be fancy/informative, maybe have it flash orange when you need 10 or fewer loops, flash red when you need 5 or fewer loops, and light up solid green once you have activated the mode.

Right now, it just lights or flashes an off-white color, with no indication of loop progress.

#20 10 years ago

Regarding the addition of highlighting of LEDs on the playfield image in single LED test mode:
LED77 - TI(N) MAN and LED79 - (T)IN MAN are reversed.
LED101 - WINGED (MONKEY) and LED102 (WINGED) MONKEY are reversed.

#21 10 years ago

When you get both a high score and YBR champion the game reverts to AAA for the 2nd set of initials. It will show the initials you entered for the high score, but then reverts each of them to A.

#22 10 years ago

Did they get the GI fixed with this update? I played version 1.23 and could barely see the playfield. Will Hobbit have the same GI system?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Did they get the GI fixed with this update? I played version 1.23 and could barely see the playfield. Will Hobbit have the same GI system?

This just isn't going to be all fixed via software.

#24 10 years ago

Another great update! WOZ just keeps getting better and better. I still haven't reached Battle The Wicked Witch but it's awesome that the game now has it's first of two wizard modes.

Thanks to JJP for continuing to crank out regular code updates for this game.

I'm hoping in one of the upcoming updates that we get a lot of call outs for jackpots and emerald , jewel / reward collect

#25 10 years ago

So the game still has no jackpot call outs? Did they switch up the music yet for different features ? I know on. 1.23 it still just keeps playing the main loop which gets very annoying

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I know on. 1.23 it still just keeps playing the main loop which gets very annoying

Please tell me this is just a troll because you can not be serious about this.

Off the top of my head, the following music is in the game:

Shooter lane
main play
(OK these are the ones you are complaining about)

Witch's castle playfield
Twister mode
4 x Munchkin Modes (all different)
Crystal Ball modes (all the same)
Witch Hurryup
Fireball Frenzy
ECMB part 1
ECMB part 2
Rescue MB
Hurry-build
Toto Escapes
4 x TNPLH parts
Bonus

1.24 added:
Wicked Witch battle
Wicked Witch victory
Haunted MB

Quoted from musketd:

Did they switch up the music yet for different features ?

I mean seriously, puh-leeze. Most of those have been in the game for months, too.

#27 10 years ago

Thank you Keith I think you left him speechless!

WOZ has more music then a vast majority of pins out there.

#28 10 years ago

KEF - Please ignore the people who are clearly WOZ haters and simply talking out their ass. That guy doesn't even own a WOZ so I'm pretty sure he hasn't a clue about how "annoying" the music is or isn't. And by the way...it isn't. There's tons of variety, and you're doing an incredible job of programming. I wish my RGB boards worked as well as your code! Keep up the great work and have a great holiday!

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Someone who can't help but boost Stern in every thread on Pinside trolling a WOZ thread? Seems pretty unlikely.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

So the game still has no jackpot call outs? Did they switch up the music yet for different features ? I know on. 1.23 it still just keeps playing the main loop which gets very annoying

DISCLAIMER: Derek is now a Stern distributor, and has begun the activity of taking subtle digs at WOZ frequently on Pinside.

Mods, take note.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Off the top of my head, the following music is in the game:
Shooter lane
main play
(OK these are the ones you are complaining about)
Witch's castle playfield
Twister mode
4 x Munchkin Modes (all different)
Crystal Ball modes (all the same)
Witch Hurryup
Fireball Frenzy
ECMB part 1
ECMB part 2
Rescue MB
Hurry-build
Toto Escapes
4 x TNPLH parts
Bonus
1.24 added:
Wicked Witch battle
Wicked Witch victory
Haunted MB

I mean seriously, puh-leeze. Most of those have been in the game for months, too.

Keith,

I applaud the new software update. Though I have to defend Derek a little because he was playing at my house on Version 1.22. I believe he was referring to the witch mode as you tend to hear the with a lot as that target is very easy to hit. I think 1.24 is much better though it still needs jackpot call outs. It is very difficult to manage the balls and get look at the screen. I also do know that when you only play it for a game or 2 the witch seems overpowering.

#32 10 years ago

Most important thing to know about the witch hurryups is that you CANNOT collect them til she finishes rising and the countdown starts. Trap the ball while she goes up then clobber her as soon as you see the timer move.

Oh, and Derek, your trolling is quite uncool. I see you're now selling STLE games - posting bullshit about competing titles is just childish. We have an STLE, it is a great game and stands on it's own four legs just fine. Stop trolling please.

#33 10 years ago

Yes I have put plenty of playtime in on the game and like hank says there are definitely flaws in the game that needs worked on; it still feels a lot like ij4 with the witch meaning that you are just always seeing the witch non stop and very few call outs in the game so far I mean come on no jackpot call outs at all ? I know that there is other music in the game too, but still feels like all you hear is that same damn main loop over and over again and not to mention that the 4 way split of the screen must go . I am just being honest here that is all and if I did not support you guys at all then I would not have a hobbit on preorder gees

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Most important thing to know about the witch hurryups is that you CANNOT collect them til she finishes rising and the countdown starts. Trap the ball while she goes up then clobber her as soon as you see the timer move.
Oh, and Derek, your trolling is quite uncool. I see you're now selling STLE games - posting bullshit about competing titles is just childish. We have an STLE, it is a great game and stands on it's own four legs just fine. Stop trolling please.

Yep your right I don't support JJP at all; I have a hobbit preordered

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Yes I have put plenty of playtime in on the game and like hank says there are definitely flaws in the game that needs worked on; it still feels a lot like ij4 with the witch meaning that you are just always seeing the witch non stop and very few call outs in the game so far I mean come on no jackpot call outs at all ? I know that there is other music in the game too, but still feels like all you hear is that same damn main loop over and over again and not to mention that the 4 way split of the screen must go . I am just being honest here that is all and if I did not support you guys at all then I would not have a hobbit on preorder gees

All I can say is play better. Hell, once you do the witch 3 times it changes modes to the fireball anyway. Also, the main loop is interrupted and replaced anytime you start any of the many features. If you're sick of it, then start the tornado mode, or ECMB, or Rescue, or Fireballs, or a Ball mode, or Munchkins, or whatever.. you get the idea.

There are no Jackpot callouts in ECMB because you're not scoring jackpots, you're doing the end sequence of the movie. The wizard's callouts "Step forward tin man!" etc are the audio bits for this MB. Rescue does need more audio. Other MBs don't feature jackpots in the traditional sense so it would be stupid for such callouts.

#36 10 years ago

Got you bro I definitely want to play the new code

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

The 4 way split must go? That's not going to happen especially at this point and it does its job fine.

What pin other then music pins have multiple theme songs? None I can think of off the top of my head. Not MM, not LOTR, not STTNG, not TZ and not even ST...

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The 4 way split must go? That's not going to happen especially at this point and it does its job fine.
What pin other then music pins have multiple theme songs? None I can think of off the top of my head. Not MM, not LOTR, not STTNG, not TZ and not even ST...

Yeah, but ST isn't burdened by a 4-way split screen!

#39 10 years ago

Your grasping for straws here dude. We get it, you don't like it. move on.

#40 10 years ago

I like the WOZ update a lot.

Please explain how I beat the with on fireball mode? I assume I shoot the blue shots? This is confusing to newer players. Voice call outs would and will be a great addition to the game. With most of the lights on and only changing color I think the player needs guidance on what shot to hit. It needs dumb ed down just a hair with some voice call outs to let the player know whats gong on

#41 10 years ago

There are really only 2 things lit. Blue shots keep the mode alive, red shots end it. 3 red shots and the mode is over. You don't really "Beat" it, you just keep amassing points. The problem is there are MANY more red shots than blue available and they can be hit off ricochets so you need to be careful.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

There are really only 2 things lit. Blue shots keep the mode alive, red shots end it. 3 red shots and the mode is over. You don't really "Beat" it, you just keep amassing points. The problem is there are MANY more red shots than blue available and they can be hit off ricochets so you need to be careful.

It's a cool mode. I admittedly sometimes like to set the scarecrow on fire on purpose for a laugh

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

It's a cool mode. I admittedly sometimes like to set the scarecrow on fire on purpose for a laugh

HAHAHA

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I do agree with Hank that a bit more help like some callouts would clean that up and help newer players figure things out (I really want some jackpot callouts!). However, after playing 1.24, I don't feel the need to suggest anything to Keith. It sure seems like he has this thing in control. Even the stacking seems smoother now. It is just feeling very polished, and I'm sure he will just keep making it better (and it is already crazy good).

Have you won a "free" game in 1.24? Wow.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Unless the fireball jackpot is high, I usually only shoot blues that are convenient with whatever else I'm going for at the time. If I need the ramp and it's red, sorry scarecrow...

We enjoyed the replay animation til the qualifying score quickly reflexed to 800K. Had to set one score level at 100K for free game to see it regularily or for novices to see it LOL

#46 10 years ago

Hello on the atmosphere:
-is it possible to adjust the sound between music and sound effects?
-during certain missions, is that the sounds could increase alone?
-in the castle, the music cut too quickly

The code ends. It is great now.
These are the things I'd like to see added:
- Multiball "hanted"
- Sound for jackpots during Multiball "RESCUE"
- Shots of victory when Multiball "Emeuraude City" is finally
- Sound for winning horses
- A sound to capture Dorothy
- Increase the difficulty of "kill the witch"
- More atmosphere (sound,,) during the mission to "kill the witch"
-When the witch is killed, I'd like flips intersect to see the scene (like "destroy the Rings") and only then 5 balls.
- Increase the difficulty for Extraballe for yellow road (10 advances, it is too easy)
- Put sounds when emeralds have been earned
- Final big
- Glenda adds a ball during a multiball

I know that Keith has already anticipated many of these things even more.

#47 10 years ago

Digging the new replay callout!

#48 10 years ago

Game is way more enjoyable now that 1.24 is out. Addition of Melt the witch means I now spend all my time shooting winkie guards (since I suck at the castle playfield ) Couple comments:
* Advance YBR lights don't seem to match how the game actually plays. Lights alternate between left and right loop when they are hit, but you seem to score an advance regardless of the light position.
* I have had more crashes (all in 4 player games). Had 3 crashes in 2 hours last night.
* During one ECMB + Fireball frenzy + weak flippers, I had all music and ECMB callouts stop playing. It was really strange to have the game making basically no noise other than switch hit bleeps and bloops (that's the technical term for those right?).

I am really glad jjp are getting the code out regularly and in to our hands. Really excited to see more get added, but also really hope stability improves (I am more than happy to live with the stability as is until all games modes are done).

#49 10 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!

#50 10 years ago

It's been posted elsewhere but in case it hasn't been noticed, there's a couple sound bytes that don't come off "polished". The release of the Emerald City Multiball and the call out is at a lower level than other calls. Also there seems to be no exclusive byte that is attached to the "Dorothy Captured".

Again, hope that I'm not beating a dead horse (or one of a different color) but those are two areas that IMO could be a bit smoother.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
13,000 (OBO)
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 91.00
$ 5.00
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-woz-124-glitches-and-suggestions-thread/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.