• Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240108_210859 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
sound files CGC (resized).png
Terminator2_L8_3 - Description.pdf (PDF preview)
20220601_221755 (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 9.04.27 PM (1) (resized).jpeg
MBA_Message.pdf (PDF preview)
coding_400x267-1 (resized).jpg
P1020388 (resized).JPG
06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf (PDF preview)
154719499_10226515021761326_4843147460346241911_o (resized).jpg
drug message (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
20201231_105558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 List of games and updated software versions. Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #29 Soren talks about PPS partnership on Slam Tilt Podcast Posted by Gizmonic (3 years ago)

Post #58 LED Lamp Ghosting - Procedure 1 vs Procedure 2 Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #125 Changing video modes is not easy... Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #153 PPS has the source code! Posted by PPS (3 years ago)

Post #186 Soren sets expectations Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #197 Where the CPU rom is located for swap on WPC games. Posted by Manny65 (3 years ago)

Post #251 Analysis of the WPC lamp matrix operation Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #685 Demolition Man Rom 7.0 Released Posted by soren (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider soren.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Planetary Pinball, the sole licensee for Williams Electronics Games, Inc is proud to announce that we will start to release software upgrades for Williams™ and Bally™ pinball machines.

Ever since WMS closed the pinball division in 1999, the games developed and manufactured by them have been in high regard with players and collectors of pinball machines. And games are continuously being restored to like-new condition. Thanks to a steady supply of new and improved parts, from small mechanical and electrical units, to circuit boards and playfields. Parts made available by Planetary Pinball and domestic and international collaborators. Recent years have also given us a number of new innovations. Bringing the games of yesteryears into a more contemporary look and feel.

Software is the heart and soul of a pinball machine. While a lot of effort went into making software for games, the framework, rules design and special effects, on some games the time has shown a few shortcomings. These might be bugs, like incorrect scoring, game progression being lost, modes being messed up etc. Or rooted in the fact that games were developed with coin drop play on locations in mind. In some cases making them less than ideal for the more contemporary use of home play and high level competition play.

The goal of software upgrades is not to make fundamental changes or redesigns. Neither to upgrade display graphics or sound. The goal is to make minor tweaks and fixes, while keeping the spirit of the game intact. And to strive for having rule changes under the users control via new and expanded feature adjustments.

The premier release is new software for the four games Red & Ted's Road Show™, Creature From The Black Lagoon™, Junk Yard™ and Radical™. Please see individual release notes for details. They are designed and implemented by Søren Worre. A professional software engineer and pinball enthusiast who has obtained the knowledge and the craft to make software upgrades to Williams and Bally pinball machines. They are now available for purchase from our authorized distributers.

Please note that these upgrades are limited to English language only.

This Pinside thread will serve as the official social media platform for these upgrades.

https://www.planetarypinball.com/

Please buy official ROM chips from authorized resellsers.

Action Pinball, UT, USA
Astill Entertainment, ON, Canada
Classic Arcades Inc., PA, USA
Dots and Loops, Denmark, Europe
Matts Basement Arcade, VA, USA (has ceased operation for the time being)
Mr. Pinball, Australia
Pinsound, France, Europe
Planetary Pinball, NV, USA

#2 3 years ago

New releases

November 2020

--
Creature From The Black Lagoon
Revision 5.0

Summary

Broken features within the modes Multiball, Big millions, Snack attack and Move your car are fixed.
Random elements within the modes Multiball, Snack bar and Playgound can now be set to run in patterns.
Two new feature adjustments.
The never used left inlane scoring indicators now have a purpose.
Upgraded lamp procedure.

Improvements

Fully suitable for competition play.
Supports LED lamps.
No playfield indicators left for incomplete usage.

Release note

--
Junk Yard
Revision 2.0

Summary

The video modes in the game are toned down.
For better flow of the game and because video mode was too easy to repeat playing.
The hugh scoring potential of the Super skill shot now limited.
The under exposed Time machine mode (in competition play) can now be played more than once per game.
Two new feature adjustments.

Improvements

Better suitable for competition play.
Much more enjoyable without the overly exposed video modes.
The Time machine feature is more into play.

Release note

--
Radical
Revision 3.0

Summary

Logic regarding ball lock and multilball progression is made per players individual merit.
Players never loose achevements from ball to ball.
Derandomisation of the multiball Mega-million (jackpot).
Derandomisation of the Snake run award.
Further game elements that was not even for all in multi-player games now equalised.
New Contest game adjustment.
Bug fixes. Points not being awarded. Multiball false start. Ball stock in lock lane. And more.

Improvements

Fully suitable for competition play.
No ball hangup in the lock lane requiring a power cycle.
Still suitable for arcade play via adjustment.
Many bug fixes for a perfected game that plays and awards points as expected.

Release note

--
Red & Ted's Road Show
Revision 7.0

Summary

The city modes sequence is no longer restricted to an east to west route.
With the trading post (Albuquerque) and The west coast (Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles) at certain progression.
New map mode feature adjustment.
Los Angeles mode bug fix.

Improvements

Easier for players to experience the various modes of the game.
Greater variety from game to game.
Strategic choices for playing preferred modes.
Bug fix.

Release note

Added over 3 years ago:

--
October 2021

--
Mousin' Around!
Revision 5.0

Summery

New feature adjustment adding runmodes to the target bank and center ramp.
Bug fixes.

Improvements

Limits the repeat shot play of the center ramp returning to same flipper.
Reward for controlling a streak of shots to same ramp without hitting other shots.

Release note

--
Theatre Of Magic
Revision 2.0
12 October 2021

Summery

A defect in the Trunk control that could cause it to stop working midgame is fixed.
Compensation for failing outlane ball saver.
Three new feature adjustments to aid fine tuning score balancing and mode difficulty.
Strategic Basement awards in competition play.
In competition play, the multiball is not started as compensation during ball search.
The revision 1.4H Tiger saw motor control is ported to this revision.
The display omits buy-in high scores when buy-in is disabled.

Improvements

Better mechanical device stability for location as well as competition usage.
Better applicability in competition usage in all levels.
Minor bug fixes.

Release note

Added over 2 years ago:

--
March 2022
--
Demolition Man
Revision 7.0

Summary

Claw awards can be configured to not allow re-picks of awards.
Computer mystery awards can be set to run in a fixed pattern rather than randomised.
Upgraded lamp procedure.

Improvements

No repeat selection of the superior Quick freeze award.
Highly strategic play for Computer awards.
Supports LED lamps.

Release note

In addition, a Vulgar Speech version derivered from the rev. Home-6. With coin play enabled as the only additional change.

Release note (Vulgar Speech)

Please note that Demolition Man come in two version to fit on the sound software installed on the game. Be sure to order the version that matches what is installed in your game. The installed one is easily identifiable. Standard sound (LX-4) is seven ROM chips. Vulgar Speech (Home-6) is eight ROM chips.

#57 3 years ago

Thanks for the kind responses. I read everything and contributions are appreciated. I will try to keep up with commenting too.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

That's a very interesting question. A couple of issues, one being the lamp matrix already operates at 60Hz. Unless the CPU can somehow scan the matrix at a faster rate than that or adjust the pulse width instead of increasing frequency, I don't think that will be possible.

Let me demystify the thing about LED lamp ghosting. It is not because of 60Hz/50Hz AC mains power. It is true the GI is AC and some LEDs may flicker from this. But this is to be solved by using LED that can compensate for that. In other words, a hardware solution.

The lamp matrix lamps are pulsed as well. But from a DC source and due to the matrix design. So pulse duty cycle and duration is unrelated to the AC mains power. It may make LEDs flicker as well. And better LEDs may be immune to this.

The ghosting however is a whole different issue and cause. And may be visible to LEDs that are otherwise good at not appearing as flickering. It is because the original lamp matrix control system at Williams was having an overlap of the next row status and the current column strobe. So short that incadescent lamps do not respond to this to any significance. But enough that it, with the response time of the transistors, can cause LED lamps to appear as a soft glow.

The good people at Williams realised this and updated the procedure in 1995. And I like to believe it was during the developement of Indy 500. It has LED lamps on the switch matrix. This exact procedure is the one implemented in these upgrades to Creature and Road Show. And same will be ported to future upgrades of other games using the older procedure.

See this short video for a demonstration. And please note. Flickering and ghosting may still appear. Due the condition of a game (power supply, control logic, transistors) and quality of the LEDs used.

#69 3 years ago

A short comment to the post about ColorDMD. Of course the goal is to work seamlessly with ColorDMD.

I do not wish to speak for them or how robust their system is. But I will say this. I have both removed and changed text on the DMD in various games. And those particular DMD sequences have still been colourised correctly. One example of this is the right ramp "x ramp shot" advertisement in Creature where an incorrect Snack attack one is now removed.

#125 3 years ago

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. They will all be considered when their time comes. And may or may not come into use.

I do not wish to comment too much on specific suggestions right now. But let me comment on video mode generally.

Changing the way a video mode works might not be that easy. And it might be dangerous. For instance, the shuttle sim on STTNG is actually pretty hard to play. I could imagine that changing it to a random pattern could make it virtually impossible to complete. And hence to get the artifact.

Believe me. A change that looks fine on paper is often showing to tip the balance to the other side. Rather than reaching an equalibrium.

To me the best video modes are short and a novelty. Rather then being a hard challange if you will. And they should ideally only turn up once per game. Unless really deserved through a higher level performance. The one in The Getaway is one of the best ones I can think of. Both in content, play duration, where it appears first on a game and how long after this you get to see it again. You feel you can play it blindfold. But it is random and challanging enough that in competition you see people fail to max it.

So if a video mode makes a game too tedious or repetitive (repetitive at will in competition), and you want to do something about this, I like to look into the conditions of priming and starting the mode to start with.

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

When the CFTBL ROM comes in, are there ANY physical adjustments behind the backbox I have to make other than popping the old ROM out and installing the new one?

No. Only menu adjustments as the game will Fac default.

And please be super careful to not damage the circuit board when picking out the ROM chip. AND to orientate the new ROM correctly. Always use the indent mark as reference. Never the sticker.

#186 3 years ago

Hey all

Thank you for the interest, the positive respons, the suggestions and game wishes.

Sorry for not responding more to specific posts. But there has been a lot of them. And a lot to do in general this week. As for specific games and specific rules and features, I will rather take that up if and when that project is set to sea.

Let me level expectations a bit. I have a less-is-more approach to making these updates. Not saying that new features, like new champion scores, new modes or wizard modes to games that never got one, is out of the question. But my approach is far less ambitious, if you will, then that.

My approach is to fix bugs of the indisputable kind, to make a better luck/skill balance, to limit overwelming game features and like wise to lift features that are neglectable. Where a lot of the inspiration is how well the game is applicable to competition play.

I always strive for giving the game the additional iteration in developement, as I imaging the original designers could have done back then. Had they a) known of bugs it has taken years to discover, b) had competition play as a design goal and c) had the company been interested in perfecting the game. The last meaning to prioritise resources to update the games (year) after production had ceased and the last in stock was sold.

Round the game off, I say to myself. The playfield is there and cannot be changed and has to be true. Meaning score values and objectives written on it has to be true. With nothing made redundant. Same for DMD, sound and the overall concept and content. Just round it off. Give it the final polish.

The luck/skill for competiton play is a balance. Because, for better or for worse, having "you're lucky" elements in pinball is actually fun. When playing multiplayer games casually, lock stealing is fun. Having somebody devastated because an opponent gets the lucky mysery award is fun. And in coin play, the lucky boost can elevate the experience so players like to keep playing.

However, the lucky punch is not showing who the better pinball player is. In competition this cannot be too skewed. On the other hand, ripping out all random stuff can make a game dull and loose its charm. So, believe me, an efford is put into it to balance these things the best.

In this light, let me show you some of the consideration that led to the new Creature.

The Girl search is one in three random in a two ball multi w/o ball saver. And the right shot has a return that is usually hard to manage. So it is a considerable advantage to be having the luck of the girl at first attempt. One returning to the right flipper.

I wanted Girl search same for all players and decided on the girl at second Search made. And third after a jackpot achieved. More difficult, as the game is doubling the jackpot value.

The Unlimited millions mode is hugh compared to what else is offered on Snack bar and Playground award. Especially on Snack, as ball is fed to the right flipper.

For Playground it was obvious to have the three modes running in order. And I chose Unlimited millions to go first to have it as an early goal in the game. And an oppertunity in the mix with multi, Move your car etc.

For Snack bar it was more tricky. I came up with always having it as the first award after a multiball has been played. As victory laps. I knew this could be a tricky solution and put it under adjustments to enable/disable.

During our national championship last year I noticed how this design tended to run both options for Unlimited millions back-to-back. Simply from the natural rhythm of the game. I turned more cold against it for this reason. But did not have any better solution for how to have Unlimited millions at the Snack. So I decided to turn the adjustment to default off. And keep it in.

I completed Snack bar deterministic design by making the F/L/M letter the first one before first multiball.

With no furhter de-randomisation on Creature. And all three is only active when the game is set to tournament play. Otherwise they run as you know them.

#205 3 years ago

Regarding the MikeD mod for Creature. A quick read up shows that it takes input from the lamp matrix. I will assume this is why it is acting different with rev. 5.0 now this is update to the "LED friendly" procedure 2.

I will be back later with an analysis of this and documentation for how it works now. And I have to say, that it should not be a problem to build devices that can interpret the lamp signals correnctly regardless if the game software is running procedure 1 or 2. So I hope my documentation will make it straight forward for somebody to update the MikeD mod to run stable on all games. If I have understood it correctly, the original designer of the mod has abandon the project. But it is now maintained by somebody else in the community.

PS. @wiredoug, thank you.

#215 3 years ago

You cannot have ball saver in multiball on a game with no auto plunger.

The concept in games before auto plunger was common was multiball re-start rather. Which I in many ways like a lot better than ball saver. And TAF has that.

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Can you give us any clues on what the next games you will be working on ?

Theatre of Magic with different rule to the THEATRE objective. Basement awards in competition to help on modes and Midnight. 100% outlane ball save. No false Trunk error. And a bit more.

#223 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

WCS, BK2000 - not ball-savers, but continuous multiball. But same principle.

...and TOTAN.

Not quite multiballs (like TAF). Those examples are more like timed modes with infinite ball saver. Where a ball at rest in the shooter lane is acceptable players choice.

#232 3 years ago

It is not worth a larger debate for me. But I'll say, that to me there is a different between a timed mode that runs with an infinite ball saver, if you will, or we can call it: keeps (re-)serving balls to the plunger lane or the playfield. And then the traditional (lock) multiball. Where multiple balls are served and the mode ends when you are back on single ball play.

#239 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

The "home updates" are completely pointless for my application, as my games all go on coinop rotation. They're still comercial machines, and great piles of games are Not "home use" machines.

Home ROM / Free play only was a defined status they made as an option for releases they did not want in commercial use. So, they a pointless, yeah that is the point.

As a company Williams wanted their product to be stable on location and not cause any trouble for the operator or the owners of the places the machines were put. So "home" status was a way for the developers to make revs. that were not fully tested for street use. Or were made for adult ears or with custom audio, that was not suitable for street use.

#242 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Does that mean we will get any updates and bug-fixes for coin-op, though ?

No. There is no plan to release anything with Free play only restriction.

#251 3 years ago

I have made an analysis of the WPC lamp matrix operation. Which also serves as documentation for how the older games run after they are updated to Procedure 2. And that they run identically to the later Williams WPC games.

https://dotsandloopspinball.com/lampmatrix/

#256 3 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

I am experiencing som problems with the insert and start city lights. I use LEDs in my game. The lights that are controlled does not work, when the game is over they light up and show me what the state of the game was. Could this be since i am using noflix non ghosting non flicker LEDs?

I am sorry to hear this. I cannot explain what causes this. And I have not seen similar. Is it all of the map - and the start city?

If you were having the L-6 ROM in the game before the upgrade there is no change to the lamp refresh procedure. Stating this was a mistake in the release note.

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

It is the whole map, some leds are locked on. the white border around lights constantly.
I installed the original rom that i used up to yesterday, same thing. The strange thing is that it was working when i put in the new rom.
Suspecting some hardware issues. any suggestions appreciated.

This is odd stuff. Sound like a short to the lamp board - but, the map is matrix lights over three columns and the perimitter lamps are GI. So not likely.

Make sure you have not accidently half detached any connectors.

Do testing to see if there af GI test / lamp tests that will provoke this.

The lamps in question are

GI test

General illumination 2 Playfield/Inserts 2

Single lamp test

Lamps 11-18 and 21-28 and 31-32

Do they work?

Do they light up with they are not supposed to (meaning when other stuff is tested)?

#270 3 years ago

I say you are both right. When mist ball is started the game is per definition in multilball state. And it should never start a video mode.

#281 3 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

Anything available for Funhouse?

Funhouse is the perfect pinball machine.

#309 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I have a “bug” fix suggestion. If my game is current, on IJ the Easter egg frog mode awards 20M but it doesn’t get added to the score. I’m sure there are more. I think I read on ipdb the code was left quite buggy? I don’t think I’ve noticed anything major.

IJ is reported to have a number of bugs.

People also complain about the multiball being an easy repeate. Now there is a couple of ways you can go about this. Like...

1) You need to make other shots besides hitting the drop down to light lock. Like both ramps as someone have suggested to me.

2) The drop targets will pop-up again the first time hit. Second time it will stay down to make the lock.

3) You simply need to make the lock sequence (drops down, lock) more times than three.

So you see, sometimes it is not obvious what modifications to make. And I'll tell you, what looks to work on paper is not always working too well. 1) might be too difficult. It might look fair. But the right ramp on IJ can be tough to make.

The is also the consideration of does it come obvious to the player what to do. And does it feel fair and not as a rip off. Like 3), where you will expect to have made the lock. But it is not. It was only Lock 0 or Lock -1. Conceptually speaking. 1) is also hard to explain with no "Light lock" indicators for the ramps. One of the great challanges designing new rules around excisting playfields. It will have to fit. And I have a rule, that the playfield must always be correct. With no redundencies.

"You have to play a mode first" I've also heard suggestions for, for the 1). But think a little further on that one. It will be start mode, trap up, time out playbook. Not exactly the best solution.

From my experience, I say 2) is the best solution. I might seem buggy, the drop popping up again. But if you add a new sound effect and maybe some DMD work, it will become obvious that, ok, now I need to hit the drop twice to light the lock. The drop is a shot putting the ball in the wild. An additional round around that one it will add significant risk of draining. Maybe just enough to balance the game out. Selfexplanatory and you do not need to make the logic of transporting balls through the subway and Idol lock mech without "locks made" status. Which could be buggy. And will take an efford to test properly.

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Shadow: The 2-way loop combo is a little too valuable. Currently, it’s a base of 10M that increases by 3M each time. I’ve gotten it over 100M a few times and as fun as it is, it scores quite a bit. I’d suggest base of 10M, increase by 1M, and cap at around 30M. Maybe even throw in having it reset every ball.

Hmm. As I wrote earlier in the Shadow club...

There is a cap at 30M in effect for the combo value in The Shadow, but a when-equal test only. And by 10M + 3M times x being a 25, 28, 31,... series, with no 30M, I assume it was originally designed with +1M or +2M in mind. And not +3M.

When changing it to +3M the cap should have been changed to 40M to suit the upgrade. And so it worked(!). Had they done that, we would not have this talk now.

It is my assumption. If someone can get hold of Mr. Eddy, please ask if he remembers how this came about.

#340 3 years ago
Quoted from humanoid:

If people are throwing in requests:
How easy would it be to modify Cyclone like you did with HS? That is, giving the option of either a few levels of a fixed jackpot or a player-specific progressive jackpot. As fun as it is to nail the Cyclone ramp three times and blow all of your friends' scores away with no hope of catching up, a more competitive-friendly option would be neat and hopefully not too difficult to add.

The per player aspect if the JP can be tough for space reasons. But from a design point it is more and less the same for all games. And should be applied to an update for competition play reasons.

Alternatively, the fixed value approach. Which is of course easily done.

The repeat ramp shot monster payoff in this game is another story. I do not have an answer for a good redesign to that as of now.

The backboard lamps and the "Ride Cyclone three times for JP" is another challange. I have a rule of those type of information/lamp'ed values must be true and in use.

1 week later
#365 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Basement:

He meant perfect in that there will be no changes.

This is only two flaws in Funhouse.

1. The mirror award says "Light Superdog". Where it should be just "Superdog".

2. The second problem is the entire backbox translate (!).

Bonus flaw. Strictly, sausage bonus should be disabled in tournament play.

Otherwise it is the perfect pinball machine.

Quoted from mollyspub:

I was kinda afraid of that...it could use a real ball save.

I am not totally opposed to adding ball saver on older games. But I am not super keen on the idea either. It will not be added per default that is for sure. A case by case thing. There is a bit of a hazard to it. You roll back game state and you have to make sure it expires (buggy infinite ball saver is kind of a game breaker). Including a soft expire bug like the lamp continue to blink.

Funhouse is only in warning level two in terms of the lack of ball saver. As the game offers a safe plunge to a flipper. Which is actually secured through a choiced ball saver.

Pat Lawlor is known for being opposed to ball saver in general.

#366 3 years ago
Quoted from JDinNOVA:

Soren - would you consider a RADICAL 3.1 that supports the VUK found in the prototype game (or added later as in my case)?

I don't think so, sorry.

#367 3 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Is it possible to improve the lamp matrix code for System 11 games? Or is that only possible on WPC games?

System 11 implementation for refreshing the lamps do not have either of the two "mishabs" that the first generation WPC procedure has. Meaning that the problem should not be as apparent on S11s. Also, the hardware design is completely different. A whole side story of it all.

That being said, of course there exists LED lamps so poor they will flicker from anything. A badly appearing pinball machine may be caused in various components. And I am sure proper quality LEDs will help a lot.

#368 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So I assume soren already created a custom Taxi patch years ago, which will eventually be released through PPS at some point?

Likely. All in good time.

#369 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I know that for a long time, the second Final Frontier would cause the game to mis-count how many balls are on the playfield and it would get massively confused

Next gen is NOTORIOUS for ball tracking issues from the complicated design; excessive use of opto switches and four playfield (three of these under playfield) lock troughs. I would be careful throwing the software under for mishabs. Unless you expect 100% solid error compensation of course. Which is not possible.

I shall be happy to recieve report of reproducable problems across several games that can conclude a core software logic issues. And look into a solution to this.

#370 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Hi Soren,
This list is a compilation of issues/wishes about Judge Dredd based on Pinside rating comments, JD club comments, comments from this thread.

Thanks a lot for this comprehensive run through. It has surprised me how much interest there is for Judge Dredd.

#371 3 years ago
Quoted from DK:

How about Johnny Mnemonic? I imagine there are easy fixes to make the code better for tournament play?
-Disable video mode (snarf)
-Spinner millions a little less one-sided?
-Better/different glove awards
I’m sure there are bugs but can’t think of any off the top of my head

Spinner millions gets a lot of heat. But to me that element in Johnny is not much of an issue. For two reasons.

1. Spinner millions are not immediately available and neither immediately restartable on every ball. So it not quite the mindless "from start of ball 1 till end of ball 3" play, that you may find on other games.

2. Not only do you have to execute when the mode is running. To really pull it off, you have to balance playing it with bonus x, hold bonus and collect bonus. Highly skill based play. Wth the risk of playing for something that pays zilch (like a mistimed collect bonus).

Besides. A payoff of a spinner is actually high adjustable mechanically. It it is too juicy, then un-juice it.

* I know hold bonus is buggy and open for exploit. But that is a seperate issue to the mode Spinner million itself.

1 month later
#412 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

If secret mania was fixed, it really only leaves the "Run The Red Light" animation...I might still be tempted to stay on L-2 in that case though >.>

Unfortunetly, there is a bunch of more issues with Getaway. You can get stuch in a gear. Meaning that pulling the lever do not advance to the next gear.

You can also drain with RLM lit. And then it is unlit on next ball.

These are seldom seen problems. That I cannot reproduce at will. And, as with anything else, it can be rooted in faulty switches (as triggering when they should not) and RAM corruption. Problems local to a specific machine. Not general software bugs.

Further field reports are much appreciated.

#418 3 years ago

I have not experienced this myself. Hence fishing for at true bug or not?

1 week later
#422 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Sttng has one huge issue that needs to be fixed and then the game will be perfect in my eyes.

Make the video mode random.

Hmmm. I am not so sure. And that is because I see video mode in a larger perspective. What does it bring to the gameplay. Does it work well in the flow and for the time it takes to play and how difficult it is to understand. How does it work strategically for points.

STTNG video mode works a bit like IJ. With the latter being random. And considerably more difficult. And the IJ one does not even have the bombs.

I still stand on the STTNG one suffers mainly for being too easily restartable. To me that is death to a video mode element because video mode is safe points.

#423 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Would you mind elaborating on what this means for the L5 CFTBL ROM?

It means, that the options for that adjustment is of no function. It is simply taken out of the design at some point. You see that in other games as well. Feature adjustments that was later scrapped but are still in. And some that do not work.

BTW. You cannot have a general "Multiball" random awards on a game without auto plunger. For CFTBL at most it could mean multilball ready to start.

#436 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

you can have an 2 ball one at an mystery. Just launch an ball and wait for 1st switch hit to kick ball from mystery.
CFTBL has ball saver.

Of course. You are absolutely right.

#437 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

This reminds me of a pet peeve of mine. I completely understand the reason for disabling extra balls for tournaments, but why do they (especially on B/W games) make the point "novelty" award for so low a value? It messes up the goal/reward structure.

Pinball machines are historically made under hugh workload and time pressure. Not in production for very long. And once off the line, more or less abandoned by the company in terms of support and bug fixes.

We are lucky, that pingames are build to the quality they have all matters considered. And for that we can thank the truly passionate developers and designers.

So, bugs and unwise design and messy stuff slipped through. And especially when deviating from the primary design goal. Which was standard configuration for public coin play. Simply because this was the most tested and the basis of the most field reports. Novelty mode is for regions where awarding credits and extra ball was considered illegal gambling.

#439 3 years ago

Oh I agree. It is not a hugh deal to refine scoring in terms of implementing it in the code. Which is also why say, that I believe, that stuff like points for extra ball and special etc. is uneven or even absent on some games is because it was simply not in the main thought process. Some of it might have been the case of "we set it to x and figure it out later". And then never got around to it again.

Some games even award 0 points for extra ball when off or exceeded the max. Why? Why not just mask off lighting the EB lamp in the first place. Like some other games do. Well, it might exactly be a case of ... we do it later.

#442 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Soren, is there a timeline/schedule of specific releases?

I am reluctant to promise such. But I can promise that there will be more stuff coming. Much more.

I'd hoped for having something ready by now. But current events causes a delay. And are in general trouble for going places to test new stuff.

1 week later
#472 3 years ago

I do not think Pat Lawlor hated ball saver as such. But I like to believe there was a clan in Williams developement, who disregarded ball saver (early on) because they believed their customers did not want it. Maybe one short sighted halfwit operator told them to forget about that stuff prolonging the game time and deducting his cashbox. Other designers might have seen it as a design element in the toolbox to make insteresting games. Maybe a way to make a design work. A design brilliant in one way, but too drainy to start with (F14, T2,...). And ultimately the concept won.

The short game time argument I always find cute. I say value for money wins in the long run.

I also find the "too confusing" argument just as cute. You are giving the player the ball back after all.

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

I know that sometimes new players at my place in multiplayer games start playing each others balls when a ballsave has occured without an autoshooter. Maybe that's where the 'confusion' comes from.

I am not arguing that ball saver comes as a surprise to newbies. And they wall off the game prematurely in multiplayer games. I have witnessed this myself numerous times. But, ball saver is a quality to a game. And these people are early on the learning curve. And there is so much games could do to assist this.

#479 3 years ago

The "ball saver" you reference to is a lower level stage in the state machine of the pinball machine logic.

New ball (/new player) -> shooter lane -> ball in play -> drain.

With draining during shooter lane state reserving ball and staying in shooter lane state.

On Williams games (traditionally): Shooter lane state, the score is blinking. Ball in play state, the score is slowly rolling.

In order to determain the advancement to ball in play, the game logic needs to see the ball in action on the playfield. This is traditionally a switch hit out of trough/shooter lane. And was later in the 90's on Williams change to three different switches (same for Stern/JJP now a days). But is highly individual per game. On some games some switches are still a one hit one. On some games a ball saver can trigger the advancement. It is just a mess.

All this to make sure that a player is not drained prematurely. Because if this happens, the player will walk away never playing the game again. Possibly vandalising the game or, even worse, complaining to the staff demanding a refund.

With the introduction of ball saver (circa T2), the path is...

New ball (/new player) -> shooter lane -> ball in play -> ball saver -> drain.

With draining during ball saver state reserving the ball and, where available, auto plunging it. And staying in ball saver state with the timer not reset.

So, after this long explaination. A ball saver is a new feature to make on game lacking it. It is timed, ball in play logic is not. And, should be backed up by lights (shoot again), DMD, sound effects and speech. With DMD being hard (for something that looks half decent) and sound not possible.

#483 3 years ago

I understand the requests for updates to more games. Please be patient. More stuff is under developement. And more stuff will be released.

I guess you can imagine the difficulty sources games for testing these times.

#489 3 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Would be nice to look at the software for Terminator 2, would like to use it in a competitive setting one of these years.
PAPA Notes:
Terminator 2 software contains bugs that can potentially be devastating to a competitive game. Known bugs include: 255 drop target hits to multiball, and a multiball bug that may occur when a ball is locked with zero seconds left on the timer causing a string of odd behavior from the game.

Agreed. I have looked into T2. The 255 hits problem is not found yet. The other one is. Though there might be additional issues to deal with.

I have a sneaking suspicion, that the 255 hits one is on older software revs only. Any confirmation on software revisions and, even better, ways to trigger this is MUCH welcome.

2 weeks later
#502 3 years ago
Quoted from Enver:

If geekmem serves me right -- Flight Insurance in F-14 was first. Of course, most likely not yet part of a general low-level ruleset for all machines building on the same OS.

There has been various games with ball saver of sorts, timed play etc. Sinbad comes to mind.

When I say it started with T2 I refer to the generalised form we came to know it for. And which became a standard. Each start-of-ball (and multiball too on some games), indicator flashing while active, callout and display support.

1 month later
#513 2 years ago

Looks good KoP. Will take it into consideration.

Is the Virtual lock the same as was default behaviour in the L-7?

2 months later
#532 2 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

Fair enough, is there capacity to combine all the best features of L1-L7 ROMS into one?

My policy is that the basis for any new version of software is ALWAYS the latest official release. And then broken/removed features from previous revs are ported back in. Or reenabled with fixes.

2 months later
#560 2 years ago

For a number of reasons, it has been quite lately. I know. Sorry for that.

Things are being worked on and releases are planned. Thanks for the support.

#563 2 years ago

Proudly presents... New software updates for Mousin Around and Theatre Of Magic.

If interested, please buy from one of the official distributers listed in the first post of this thread.

Thanks.

--
Mousin' Around!
Revision 5.0

Summery

New feature adjustment adding runmodes to the target bank and center ramp.
Bug fixes.

Improvements

Limits the repeat shot play of the center ramp returning to same flipper.
Reward for controlling a streak of shots to same ramp without hitting other shots.

Release note

--
Theatre Of Magic
Revision 2.0
12 October 2021

Summery

A defect in the Trunk control that could cause it to stop working midgame is fixed.
Compensation for failing outlane ball saver.
Three new feature adjustments to aid fine tuning score balancing and mode difficulty.
Strategic Basement awards in competition play.
In competition play, the multiball is not started as compensation during ball search.
The revision 1.4H Tiger saw motor control is ported to this revision.
The display omits buy-in high scores when buy-in is disabled.

Improvements

Better mechanical device stability for location as well as competition usage.
Better applicability in competition usage in all levels.
Minor bug fixes.

Release note

#570 2 years ago

First of all, the new version runs with the rev 1.3X security chip.

Tiger saw is same output. So fully compatible.

It runs with the Trunk board installed. But the limited functionality of the board takes precedence. Meaning the Trunk not registering while rotating.

#572 2 years ago

One of the problems of a T2 fix is that the game is known for a bug that I cannot reproduce. And have never seen happen myself. That the cannon hits to start multiball takes an underflow to 255. I may hang on an earlier revision. So already fixed. I don't know. Any information is much appreciated.

#581 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Will this new version of the TOM 2.0 ROM function with the Shifted Bits Ewe 22 security chip? I am just curious as the Tom Callahan Tiger Saw mod has been working really well for 13+ years using the EMI PCB listed above and I was planning on installing the new TOM ROM version 2.0 when it arrives and am hoping that it is plug and play like the CFTBL ROM update was for me.

The rev. 2.0 runs with the original security chip. For those who have upgraded to 1.4H and who have since lost the original security chip, they will have to source a new one before the game will run with this new version.

I cannot speak for the specifics of a mod that someone has made back in the day. But the rev. 2.0 Tiger saw motor control is using the same outputs (connector/pin) as the Williams 1.4H version. Which leads me to believe that it should be compatilble with excisting upgrades.

#587 2 years ago

Booting up a game with an incorrect or missing security chip will not do harm to anything. Not even clearing the RAM (factory default). The game just will not go into attract and neither start any game.

#591 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Soren, thanks for your hard work! Indeed exciting to see official releases even though I don't have these games. Looking forward to STTNG! Are you basing these revisions off the non-ghosting versions of ROMs for games that have that issue?

You could say I am. Williams was updating the (WPC system) lamp refresh procedure sometime in 1995. And that procedure no. 2 works better with LED lamps. Though you might find some types of LED that are so bad they look poor regardless. The new ROM releases for games that were using the old procedure will be have it upgraded to the new one. TOM was originally released with the new procedure. No upgrade necessary.

#596 2 years ago

Thanks That verifies connector J125-3.

#598 2 years ago

I cannot speak for any modified ROM that may be installed out there. But I know that some of the "ghost free" versions circulating was done using a tool that does the same thing. Replacing the procedure in the earlier games with the one Williams started using in 1995. In other words. If you are using one of these ROMs, the lamp performance on ROMs from my hand should be the same.

And speaking for WPC games only on this.

1 week later
#608 2 years ago

So, what is the preference when a ball save is rewarded?

The message is

"BALL SAVE"

or

"BALL SAVED"

4 months later
#656 2 years ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

I have a BSD with L-2c I think this is a Soren rom? Anyhow, I was wondering if there is a glitch? My machine goes into ball search when the ball is loaded in the shooter lane after about 15-20 seconds. It is driving me crazy. The shooter lane switch works and the settings are set for 90 seconds to launch ball but the game goes into ball search right away. I’m wondering if this is a glitch in the rom? Or I have a bigger issue?

There is no harm in using this rom. But it only offered a small adjustment to how ball saver is working. And the game as LOADS of bugs that is not addressed. I pulled it again.

Regarding the problem you appear to have. All switches might seem to register in switch test. But if one or more are so sensitive it registers from tapping the flippers or bumping the game, the game might go to ball-in-play before ball launch.

You can identify ball-in-play state from the score display. Blinking or rolling.

#657 2 years ago

Honestly I would love to do an overhaul of BSD, but it is just too much stuff. So many bugs. And not too great mechs. Ball dropping out of the mist for instance. Castle lock release releasing two balls. Starting video mode with two balls in play.

Believe me, I have spend hours on this game already. That IFPA final final game has been studied frame by frame. But never was able to reproduce that one. And that is including sessions where certain game states was purposely messed up to see if the behaviour could be provoked to show itself. Never was. One of the ones where you start to see phantoms and convince yourself that the game must have had bad RAM just to escape.

#659 2 years ago

Hew. Thanks for letting me know. Of course there are always more isn't there.

An awkward situation, as seen on this DMD. Not only lock you out of that first extra ball. But all KISS completion tier awards for that game.

Never say never. I might make an 5.1 with this one done.

I should mention that this problem is not gonna happen in 5.0 when set to tournament play. Because of how the snack bar awards now work. You will get your 5Ms from KISSes.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#661 2 years ago

Police Force is a case where Ive never really bumped into one. Have ever played one game of Police Force - at Pinburgh.

#664 2 years ago

Hmmmm. That IJ need work done to the kickout / tipout mech. Only the fewest IJs Ive played are not making a clean kickout.

I do not think it is double the power, but 50% more. And that is a common thing on WPC era games. For ball dropping back in. The ones I have looked into is 50%. The Shadow plunger comes to mind. Though it might be east and west game to game and mech to mech.

#674 2 years ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

It really is driving me crazy lol luckily for the time being I can set the auto launch for 10 seconds and then it is out of sight out of mind for now.

On a side note - I do think it is what you are seeing - WPC games without a manual plunger will plunge a ball in shooter lane on a tilt warning. This was done as a fail safe against idiots pushing the game around before figuring out how to plunge the ball.

#675 2 years ago
Quoted from Sehested:

A Big Wish for an update to T2

I would love to work on T2. But I must have evidence of the "255 hits to start multiball" bug. I have yet to find a smoking gun for this on the latest rev. I am sure it has truly been happening to players. But I fear it is due an ealier software rev. and therefore actually fixed already. Please report details if observed.

On the drop target. No, you cannot prevent a drop target to go down. And a ball might even be able to knock it down and still finds it way to the vuk behind it. What you can do is reset it as fast as possible. And then also make sure software deals with two balls in vuk the best way possible. With fair and the least harm to player(s).

#676 2 years ago
Quoted from Exgametrader:

I can only assume it is a licensing/legal issue why it hasn’t happened yet but would love to see a set of roms that allow the swearing on Demolition Man with coin drop.

Demoman is coming soon.

#678 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Even with the release of FH 2.0, are there any plans to tweek the original? Only looking for a real ball save.

Maybe. But no promise. I have a plan for ball saver added to another game, so lets see the strength of that one.

Funhouse has somewhat of a problem though. Some games will need a hardware modification. A jumper moved on the CPU board. And that will cause trouble. I is impossible to foresee which. Some of those out there not running the L-9 might already be changed for larger eproms. Maybe later production run. Maybe fitted with a refurbished CPU board. Etc. So it will be a mess to provide proper guidance for this. People installing it without being aware and blame the ROM chip and demand a return. A mess.

#685 2 years ago

Presents Demolition Man upgrade...

Demolition Man
Revision 7.0

Summary

Claw awards can be configured to not allow re-picks of awards.
Computer mystery awards can be set to run in a fixed pattern rather than randomised.
Upgraded lamp procedure.

Improvements

No repeat selection of the superior Quick freeze award.
Highly strategic play for Computer awards.
Supports LED lamps.

Release note

In addition, a Vulgar Speech version derivered from the rev. Home-6. With coin play enabled as the only additional change.

Release note (Vulgar Speech)

Please note that Demolition Man come in two version to fit on the sound software installed on the game. Be sure to order the version that matches what is installed in your game. The installed one is easily identifiable. Standard sound (LX-4) is seven ROM chips. Vulgar Speech (Home-6) is eight ROM chips.

Please order from one of the distributers listed on the first post.

#689 2 years ago

To clarify.

There is no update to the sound ROMs. But as there are two versions of sound software, as there are two versions of game software, LX-4 and Home-6, it is a matter of matching this when upgrading. So...

If upgrading from LX-4, please ask for "Demolition Man rev. 7.0". The standard sound version.

If upgrading from Home-6, please ask for "Demolition Man (Vulgar Speech) rev. 7.0".

If upgrading from LX-4, but wanting the vulgar speech version, please ask for "Demolition Man (Vulgar Speech) rev. 7.0" WITH the associated sound ROMs as well. Expect this to be at a considerably higher cost. Nine ROM chips in total.

#692 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

soren, are there any plans for a ROM upgrade for Shadow?

What do you want for The Shadow?

#694 2 years ago

Ha. As I have described earlier in this thread. The loop combo value being open ended is a bug. There is a procedure in place to cap it at 30M. But it does not work. I have a theory to what went wrong. But will not go into that one here and now.

#700 2 years ago

I actually believe a proper fix to No Fear is a playfield modification. That'll be the day.

#701 2 years ago

So lets talk TOTAN. You cannot have a pinball machine where trapping up on the right flipper 50% of the play time is a valid strategy. So, what should be the rules for lighting Harem on the left orbit? It cannot be repeat shots to orbits, because this is the timed Tiger loop objective. Let take that out of the equation.

What rules should light Harem on the left orbit? And when should this rule apply? Meaning, should Harem MB be ruled out of modes, ligtning lamp etc.

PS. Not talking about the Harem stack into Genie battle. That is a bug. (Fun to execute non the less)

#716 2 years ago
Quoted from MThompson:

If you get around to a Creature 5.1 ROM, please make the LED support feature optional via the Utilities menu. That way, those of us with the MikeD hologram mod would be able use this great update. I and others would be forever thankful!!

This will very likely never happen, I am sorry. This is a sensitive part of the software (the real-time system). Not messing around.

It is unfortunet that this mod is not being developed anymore. Now there are Creature owners out there who would like to use this with the new software. I would much rather develope a hardware mod to the MikeD mod to make it complient with rev. 5.0. I would honestly have a go at it if I had it in my possesion. I believe it is a matter of delaying the lamp column signal(s) going in 3us. Two digital inverters and an RC-network. Done.

So the inspiration to make this is hearby put forward. Though I must stress that this solution is a best guess on my part. No guarantee.

#728 2 years ago

Please go easy on the suppliers. I am sure they will have ROMs in stock shortly.

I was not aware that Matt has ceased operation (for the time being). All the best, Matt.

#729 2 years ago

The ever great and highly entertaining Ron Hallett is giving the new (vulgar) version a spin here...

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1414421029

1 week later
#740 2 years ago

Thanks for the rundown. I shall keep it in mind.

#748 2 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Since Mirco announced TOTAN 2.0, does that mean that we will not see anything done with the original TOTAN software?

No. It will not have any influence on whether an upgrade to original software is developed or not.

I gotta say... I truly HATE that these re-design kits are named 2.0. Stop that please and stick with a subtitle for the kit. For TOTAN it is The Forgotten Tales, I believe. Yeah, The Forgotten Tales 1.0. These kits are not a software upgrade. They are a new product. I guess we can "thank" Dutch for starting this trend. A TOTAN upgrade from my hand, if and when it is released, will be revision 2.0.

#749 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

If I had a software magic wand, the one feature I would like to add is a Hotel Monolith "second chance."

I can see that, but there is only one little problem. If that add-a-ball shot is the one up the middle, what if you prefered to start the lock multiball? It it is mode start, what if you prefered to start the next mode? It is the ramp/rings, what if you prefered to start Vengence?

Adding features is also sometimes re-writing other features. Especially since the playfield is a constraint of remaining unchanged.

#752 2 years ago

DemoMan was a sole release this time around. Thanks.

3 months later
#781 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent86:

soren Thank you for your work on improving the CFTBL ROM! I'm really excited to install it in my machine when it arrives.
I'm hoping that since you have the source code for the machine perhaps you can answer a long standing question about it that I've never been able to find documented anywhere.
When you look into NVRAM products you sometimes see a note next to CFTBL that says something along the lines of "Music on CFTBL is based on dates and will be affected". This seems to come from a blurb on the CFTBL promotional flyer that says the music "plays on a three-per-day rotation for variety and increased nostalgia appeal". This rotation appears to have never been verified or deciphered.
So, two questions for you:
1) Can you tell us if the rotation was actually implemented and, if so, how it actually works? It would be great to know which songs play on which day in case someone has a favorite they are looking to hear.
2) If you ever make another update to the ROM, can we make this configurable? Perhaps a simple toggle with options for the existing date based rotation or randomized 3 song rotation group per play? Basically keep the existing 3 song combinations but randomly pick one group each play. 3 completely random songs could be another fun option if it were possible too.
Thanks again for your great work on the ROM and any information you can share about this little mystery from the Black Lagoon .

Ahhhh. Thank you. This was news to me and a fun little exercise. The best hour spend today - so far.

Creature has five main themes and maintains an index for which one to play for ball 1 across all players. Ball 2 is the next theme and so on. The index for start song is incremented when game detects that the date-day value has changed according to a reference. This check is at start-of-ball. So it can actually update on a same game, if played through midnight.

Theme index and date reference survives a power cycle. Extra balls replay same theme.

#786 1 year ago

The new ROMs are developed from the latest Williams releases like this...

L-4 -> Rev. 7.0

H-6 -> Rev. 7.0 (Vulgar Speech)

Update is the U6 game ROM only. The sound ROMs, respectively, are the same. So, order then upgrade that match the sound ROMs.

#793 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Don’t know what’s possible but for WPC’s that don’t have a auto plunge timer an inactivity timeout ending games would be awesome

WPC games go to game over after 10 mins of inactivity. Except when configured for tournament play.

Not tested on all games (for obvious reasons). But feel free.

#798 1 year ago

I will have to hold back that statement. Apologies. I am sure I have observed this. But I cannot poke it this evening. Might exclude to certain setup or game era.

#804 1 year ago

The real time clock is not used for game features with exception of "midnight" themed stuff. Or for my own safety. I have not seen it used for anything else as of yet at least.

You can even "cheat" the credit dot by setting the date/time on a non-battery/nvram equiped game. No credit dot eventhough real time clock reset at each game power on.

3 weeks later
#846 1 year ago

Thanks for the extensive points added.

Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

Funhouse: Add proper ballsaver on all single ball bumper advance to right outlane drains as an option.

No sure I understand. Do you want short plunging to bumpers to be safe as a strategy? Way I see it, this would constitute a (another) plunge over and over exploit.

Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

Make it so that Steps plunger saver (that saves balls that moonwalk into the left outlane) unlights the steps temporarily in tournament mode, including Superdog at the top.

I do not understand. You may plunge over and over. If ball moonwalks to INLANE, you lit Steps is lost. Fine by me.

Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

Do NOT add a normal ball saver!

Why not.

Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

The Addams Family: fix bug at high number of mansion rooms.

Care to explain this?

Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

Add once only saver for thing flip opto to left outlane drain.

Frustrating I agree. Espcially in tournament where you do not know if you can trust the game. But this is a mechanical fix.

Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

Terminator 2: Fix 255 targets till jackpot/multiball.

I am tempted at putting out a bounty for anyone who can document this. From my analysis, this cannot happen on the L-8 software. For that logic that is responsible for handling this value that is.

Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

High Speed: Idea. Implement the Truck Stop rule for progressive jackpots that build from ball to ball and player to player. Instead of resetting when collected, they stop increasing when collected once in a multiplayer game, and reset at game over.

Cute. And much easier to make than the player individual accounting. This will keep the tournament player awake at night figuring out the strategic options.

Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

Cirqus Voltaire: Party mulitball nerf: you do not get a jackpot for shooting the same shot twice in a row. This forces you to play the multiball as intended, instead of repeatedly shooting a single orbit or ramp and trapping up.

Somebody making CV wizard mode will likely win the game regardless. Two (or more) players making it, will just battle on who can get to it/play that MB the best. People also mention the Ringmaster battle being to powerful. To me this is risk/reward putting all into playing though all those Ringmaster hits.

4 months later
#893 1 year ago
Quoted from polishedball:

soren or anyone who may know I just updated to the 2.0 ROM for ToM, when I reached grand finale the shots were displaying 10mil on the DMD, but the Audio callouts were 50mil. Do I need upgrade sound roms or something else? Thanks the lic reseller had no idea.

That is news to me. Obviously a bug which I wish I would've fixed.

#894 1 year ago
Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

Extra balls per ball in play is really stupid, annoyoing, unintuitive, and only serves to confuse and screw players over.

Eventhough the standard menu adj for extra balls where really "standard", meaning the same for all games 1990-99, it might have different interpretation game to game per the individual programmer. And if you told me I would also believe, that there are games out there where certain EB awards are given eventhough some max limit is reached. Simply because it was coded without checking.

Generally EB on mystery and semi random awards are less likely, if not prevented, for games where EBs have been earned already. They made algorithms for this even back in the earlier 1980s games. Other times EBs per some feature progression is once per game. Like TOM 6 o'clock. It is points after the first one EB. So you can say that EBs are self limiting.

I agree that EB limitation should be total per game and that is it. And I like to set the limit at 2. EBs per ball-in-play and stacked limit are weird, really. I like to see a game of pinball being progression through all balls to play. Apart from obvious things like timed modes, which ends with current ball.

EBs are a sweetspot between hooking players to come back a play again. And the ever so importent game-time. Which operators tend to see black/white as: the lower game-time the higher the earning. Meeeh, I dont think so. So I am going out on a limb saying, maybe lavish adjustments to limit EBs was introduced to have the operator dude pick your product.

1 year later
#940 3 months ago

Thanks Davi for the comprehensive rundown of JD issues. Good reference.

#943 3 months ago

The WPC platform actually supports per switch definition for if their statistics should be used as basis for the credit dot / operator alert. As well as the infamous 3-switch ball-in-play logic. Where they alternatively could be configured for instant ball-in-play. Or passive (like trough switches are). So it was actually possible for programmers to optimise the game towards a trustworthy "somthing is broken" credit dot. And to not motivate deliberate drain and plunging over and over and over. For free game progression or skill shots.

However, the programmers of these games had ENOUGH to do getting the core game ready in time. So I guess the games were not always fine tuned in matters less important. Plus that software updates were seen by management at the time as waste of time and necessary evil at best. Legend has it, that some, if not a lot of, the software bug fixes we luckly have today are thanks to the programmers own pride and desire to perfect their game. Putting in their own time and pushing for a release.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 11.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 23.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider soren.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades?tu=soren and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.