• Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240108_210859 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
sound files CGC (resized).png
Terminator2_L8_3 - Description.pdf (PDF preview)
20220601_221755 (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 9.04.27 PM (1) (resized).jpeg
MBA_Message.pdf (PDF preview)
coding_400x267-1 (resized).jpg
P1020388 (resized).JPG
06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf (PDF preview)
154719499_10226515021761326_4843147460346241911_o (resized).jpg
drug message (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
20201231_105558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 List of games and updated software versions. Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #29 Soren talks about PPS partnership on Slam Tilt Podcast Posted by Gizmonic (3 years ago)

Post #58 LED Lamp Ghosting - Procedure 1 vs Procedure 2 Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #125 Changing video modes is not easy... Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #153 PPS has the source code! Posted by PPS (3 years ago)

Post #186 Soren sets expectations Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #197 Where the CPU rom is located for swap on WPC games. Posted by Manny65 (3 years ago)

Post #251 Analysis of the WPC lamp matrix operation Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #685 Demolition Man Rom 7.0 Released Posted by soren (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#151 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I don't believe that the original tools and systems used for the code creation still exist and Soren has indicated that his modifications are without access to any documentation. So it's impressive work

PPS has said that they do have access to the original source code. How much that includes documentation and/or tools has not been mentioned.

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Hmm. 5X playfield + multiball triple jackpot fix on White Water?

Exactly what fix are you looking for here? If they really gave you 15X jackpots in that case, the scoring would be completely unbalanced. 5X jackpots are pretty generous as it is.

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

One thing i would highly appreciate would be a ball save on TAF Gold Version, especially in multiball

I don't think that will really work since TAF has no auto-launch mechanism. "Saved" balls would back up into the shooter lane.

#214 3 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

This works in Episode 1 like a charm

But that has an auto-launcher, correct?

#246 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

"ball saves" existed without auto launch in many games. Maverick is but one example. Also the "home" Whitewater ROM does it just fine. Code simply doesn't launch a ball to the shooter lane if there is one already there.... also back when pinball mostly had Physical locks, instead of an overload of mostly lacklustre imaginary ones... Many games have no auto launch, and a ball save feature.
Many of my fave games don't use "virtual locks" ... they just seem "cheap" somehow to me.

You missed the whole point of the discussion. It wasn't that you can't have ball saves without an auto-plunger. It's that you can't have MULTI-BALL autosave without an auto-plunger.

At worst, the saved balls will back up into the shooter lane. At best, a player could exploit that by intentionally allowing the balls to drain and then plunge single balls - playing multi ball modes with essentially one ball in play at a time.

Maybe you could come up with some weird rule that if there is a "saved" ball in the shooter lane then no other switches will score points or something (and try to explain that to a newbie player somehow), but there are probably ways to exploit that in some way too.

Obviously, in single ball play, there can be ball saves without an auto-plunger. Almost every SS machine made would essentially "ball save" if you scored zero points on a ball. Multi-ball is a different situation.

And if you notice, with your example of Whitewater, the ball save from the home ROM does not work in multi-ball. As soren said, the standard was to do a multi-ball "restart" mode - which is what Whitewater does.

#249 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

TOTAN does this well when battling the Genie.

I haven't played TOTAN in a long time. How does it handle ball saves in multi-ball?

1 week later
#334 3 years ago

Does STTNG still have problems when reaching Final Frontier the second time in a game?

I know that for a long time, the second Final Frontier would cause the game to mis-count how many balls are on the playfield and it would get massively confused. You could then end up playing multi-ball with only one ball in play and/or playing single ball with multiple balls in play.

I looked at the ROM release history, and haven't seen anything about it being fixed. But I've run into the issue on multiple STTNG machines, and know for a fact that it at least USED to be a problem.

#336 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You only get this issue if you have trough issues with LX7, and it's for all final frontiers, not just the second and beyond.

That isn't true. There used to be a problem after the second Final Frontier (on all STTNGs), and the first one would work fine.

Now, maybe they fixed that problem at some point, and created a new problem with LX7, but there definitely were issues with the second Final Frontier back when you could find STTNG machines out on location.

2 months later
#434 3 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

Another scoring calculation bug for NGG: I have my ‘special’ set up to award 1M. When this is achieved, no amount is added to the score

This reminds me of a pet peeve of mine. I completely understand the reason for disabling extra balls for tournaments, but why do they (especially on B/W games) make the point "novelty" award for so low a value? It messes up the goal/reward structure.

If a shot/combination/sequence was worthy of an extra ball normally, then in a tournament it should be worth a significant number of points - at least something worth shooting for - not some barely noticeable amount.

#438 3 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Pinball machines are historically made under hugh workload and time pressure. Not in production for very long. And once off the line, more or less abandoned by the company in terms of support and bug fixes.
We are lucky, that pingames are build to the quality they have all matters considered. And for that we can thank the truly passionate developers and designers.
So, bugs and unwise design and messy stuff slipped through. And especially when deviating from the primary design goal. Which was standard configuration for public coin play. Simply because this was the most tested and the basis of the most field reports. Novelty mode is for regions where awarding credits and extra ball was considered illegal gambling.

Not to diminish the effort that is/was put into these games (having worked in the video game industry for 20 years, I understand all about workload and time pressure), setting the extra ball point value to something more reasonable does not seem like much additional work. Seems like it would be far less work than is done for other tournament mode issues (such as removing "random" awards and such).

I realize this is not a huge deal, just something that has always bothered me. I'm not trying to impugn anyone's work ethic or anything, just trying to make a suggestion for future improvement.

2 weeks later
#456 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

TAF doesn't have an autolaunch mech, only the plunger. It would not behave in line with other ball save games. I would say it needs to stay the way it is.

It depends upon what you mean by "ball save". Do you mean "plunged the ball and it drained in the first few seconds, so give it back" or do you mean "just started multi-ball and some of the balls drained right away, so keep giving me more"?

If you mean the first one, then yes, you can have ball save without an autoplunger. If you mean the second one, then no, you need an autoplunger.

#459 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

I see the difference as you describe, but most WMS games of the 90's era with a ball save do auto-launch the ball back into play when saved. I am not a big fan of putting it back into the shooter lane and leaving it sit on a "save". That is what would have to happen for the TAF suggestion to be implemented. I don't think that is a good solution. I understand why some folks would want it, but the implementation available through software only doesn't work in my opinion.

Well, assuming you don't mean the multi-ball save - then putting the ball into the shooter lane to be re-plunged manually is fine.

And virtually EVERY WMS game from the '90s (and at least '80s Bally) has this, including TAF - most people just don't realize it. If you score ZERO points on a ball, the ball is typically "saved" and returned to the plunger.

This is primarily done to avoid loosing a ball when the ball feeder mechanism has mis-fired. It's essentially impossible to do on a properly functioning TAF, but on some machines (especially SS machines) it is possible to keep re-plunging balls, scoring zero points each time.

In this case the "ball save" is based on "lack-of-points" rather than based on "lack-of-play-time", but the concept is the same.

#462 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Would you agree that scoring zero is the outlier scenario vs hitting some switch and scoring something?

Of course, but that's not the point. The point is that a ball save is still functional/viable even without an auto-launcher. And actually exists on most games already in this form.

The fact that it is used infrequently does not change the fact that it works.

And if a "no points scored" ball save can work, so can a "short time played" ball save.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades?tu=mbeardsley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.