• Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240108_210859 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
sound files CGC (resized).png
Terminator2_L8_3 - Description.pdf (PDF preview)
20220601_221755 (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 9.04.27 PM (1) (resized).jpeg
MBA_Message.pdf (PDF preview)
coding_400x267-1 (resized).jpg
P1020388 (resized).JPG
06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf (PDF preview)
154719499_10226515021761326_4843147460346241911_o (resized).jpg
drug message (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
20201231_105558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 List of games and updated software versions. Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #29 Soren talks about PPS partnership on Slam Tilt Podcast Posted by Gizmonic (3 years ago)

Post #58 LED Lamp Ghosting - Procedure 1 vs Procedure 2 Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #125 Changing video modes is not easy... Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #153 PPS has the source code! Posted by PPS (3 years ago)

Post #186 Soren sets expectations Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #197 Where the CPU rom is located for swap on WPC games. Posted by Manny65 (3 years ago)

Post #251 Analysis of the WPC lamp matrix operation Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #685 Demolition Man Rom 7.0 Released Posted by soren (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grb1959.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#149 3 years ago

It has been a few years since I have replaced a CPU ROM in one of my pinball machines so I just want to confirm a few things prior to installing the upgraded CPU ROM chip on my CFTBL.

1. I assume that any custom settings will be lost and I will need to reset them manually once the new CPU ROM chip is installed.
2. Will high scores be reset and if so is there any way to manually enter them once the new CPU ROM has been installed?

Thanks.

Gord

#234 3 years ago

Thanks soren for the CFTBL CPU ROM update which I received today (Nov. 24). I just updated my game and the upgrade went off without a hitch. After replacing the CFTBL CPU ROM chip it took 5 minutes or so to go through all of the settings and adjustments to set everything back to my liking.

High scores were wiped out as expected, but they are easy enough to re-establish and it also gives new players something to shoot for since the default high scores are pretty easy to beat. I played a handful of test games and established 2 new high scores and the new CPU ROM seems to function perfectly.

The CPU ROM update was purchased from Matt's Basement Arcade and was professionally labelled and shipped out very quickly after being ordered late on the evening of Nov. 19.

Gord

10 months later
#576 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

First of all, the new version runs with the rev 1.3X security chip.
Tiger saw is same output. So fully compatible.
It runs with the Trunk board installed. But the limited functionality of the board takes precedence. Meaning the Trunk not registering while rotating.

Hi Soren,

Back in June of 2008 I purchased Tom Callahan's (pin-logic.com) Tiger Saw mod for my TOM and at the same time also had to purchase the following mod from 'Shifted Bits' in order for it all to work with TOM ROM version 1.4H.

Item Name:
Ewe 22 Security Chip

Item Options:
Game: Theatre of Magic (V1.4H Homerom)

Requirements for Tom Callahan's Tiger Saw mod to work are below.

1. EWE22 PIC CHIP from http://www.shiftedbit.com
2. EMI PCB

Tom Callahan's website at the time listed the following with regards to item # 2:

EMI PCB (SAMPLE PART #: TZ-A-15542)

I just purchased the new TOM ROM version 2.0 from Matt's Basement Arcade. Will this new version of the TOM 2.0 ROM function with the Shifted Bits Ewe 22 security chip? I am just curious as the Tom Callahan Tiger Saw mod has been working really well for 13+ years using the EMI PCB listed above and I was planning on installing the new TOM ROM version 2.0 when it arrives and am hoping that it is plug and play like the CFTBL ROM update was for me.

Both shiftedbit.com and Tom Callahan are no longer in the pinball mod business.

Thanks.

Gord

#582 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

The rev. 2.0 runs with the original security chip. For those who have upgraded to 1.4H and who have since lost the original security chip, they will have to source a new one before the game will run with this new version.
I cannot speak for the specifics of a mod that someone has made back in the day. But the rev. 2.0 Tiger saw motor control is using the same outputs (connector/pin) as the Williams 1.4H version. Which leads me to believe that it should be compatilble with excisting upgrades.

Yeah, I don't have the original TOM security chip as I only have the replacement EWE22 PIC CHIP from Shifted Bits. So it sounds like you are saying that the new TOM ROM 2.0 will not work with my current replacement security chip?

Would it hurt anything to swap out my current 1.4H TOM ROM with the new 2.0 TOM ROM? If it doesn't work with the new 2.0 TOM ROM I could always just swap my original 1.4H TOM ROM back into the game. I am assuming that a ROM swap would not damage anything in my game, but if it is an unknown then I will not make the ROM swap as I sent my TOM off to Chris Hutchins of HEP for a full restoration in 2010 and the game has worked flawlessly ever since.

Originally I purchased my TOM from Treasure Cove back in 2008 and I had them install Tom Callahan's Tiger Saw mod into my game and I never received the original security chip as it was replaced with the EWE22 PIC CHIP from Shifted Bits which was required for the 1.4H ROM to work with the Tiger Saw mod.

Gord

#585 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Original security chip might be hard to source for these older games.
will this one work? He says its original factory software:
ebay.com link: itm

Thanks for the link. That looks like it should work. I will pick one up.

Gord

#590 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Booting up a game with an incorrect or missing security chip will not do harm to anything. Not even clearing the RAM (factory default). The game just will not go into attract and neither start any game.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Gord

#595 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

The rev. 2.0 runs with the original security chip. For those who have upgraded to 1.4H and who have since lost the original security chip, they will have to source a new one before the game will run with this new version.
I cannot speak for the specifics of a mod that someone has made back in the day. But the rev. 2.0 Tiger saw motor control is using the same outputs (connector/pin) as the Williams 1.4H version. Which leads me to believe that it should be compatilble with excisting upgrades.

Hi Soren,

I was able to find the original installation instructions for the Tom Callahan (pin-logic.com) moving Tiger Saw mod tucked away in my pinball files. The installation instructions may help to answer some of the questions that you had regarding this mod.

I hope that posting these installation instructions is not violating any Pinside rules as this mod has not been available for several years now. If posting these installation instructions is against Pinside rules I will remove them.

Gord

06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf

#600 2 years ago

Hi Soren,

Well today I received both the TOM 2.0 ROM updated by you and burned by Matt's Basement Arcade and also the TOM U22 security chip that I purchased off of Ebay from Classic Arcades. Everything works perfectly in the game and with the Tiger Saw mod.

I read through your release notes for the TOM 2.0 ROM version and verified that the functionality that you ported over from the 1.4H ROM version works like it should and also confirmed that the new enhanced Tiger Saw features work correctly.

I have attached a photo of the TOM 2.0 ROM and the TOM U22 security chip installed in my TOM. I also have included the following two URLs below which show my TOM booting up so you can see the serial number and game number from before the update with the 1.4H ROM and after the update with the 2.0 ROM.

Your porting of the Tiger Saw functionality from the 1.4H ROM to the 2.0 ROM worked perfectly during my testing via game play and also through testing on the diagnostic menus. Thanks for your help as this has been a learning experience for me, but it is always good to understand how things work.

Gord

P1020388 (resized).JPGP1020388 (resized).JPG

4 months later
#648 2 years ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

I have a BSD with L-2c I think this is a Soren rom?

I wasn't aware that Soren updated the original BSD CPU ROM (Version L-1). Can you provide a link?

Thanks.

Gord

2 weeks later
#721 2 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Just a heads up for those looking to order new Demo Man ROMs...
I placed an order with Matt's Basement Arcade, but was refunded a few days later and was told he is no longer in the business of burning ROMs. Very strange...

I just saw this message on Matt's website under the 'Online Store' link.

Gord

MBA_Message.pdfMBA_Message.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

4,800 (OBO)
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 45.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grb1959.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades?tu=grb1959 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.