• Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240108_210859 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
sound files CGC (resized).png
Terminator2_L8_3 - Description.pdf (PDF preview)
20220601_221755 (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 9.04.27 PM (1) (resized).jpeg
MBA_Message.pdf (PDF preview)
coding_400x267-1 (resized).jpg
P1020388 (resized).JPG
06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf (PDF preview)
154719499_10226515021761326_4843147460346241911_o (resized).jpg
drug message (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
20201231_105558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 List of games and updated software versions. Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #29 Soren talks about PPS partnership on Slam Tilt Podcast Posted by Gizmonic (3 years ago)

Post #58 LED Lamp Ghosting - Procedure 1 vs Procedure 2 Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #125 Changing video modes is not easy... Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #153 PPS has the source code! Posted by PPS (3 years ago)

Post #186 Soren sets expectations Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #197 Where the CPU rom is located for swap on WPC games. Posted by Manny65 (3 years ago)

Post #251 Analysis of the WPC lamp matrix operation Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #685 Demolition Man Rom 7.0 Released Posted by soren (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pahuffman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#518 2 years ago
Quoted from Juice_Neutron:

And STTNG shuttle randomization with fewer caverns.

Bingo. I think this may be the way to do it. Another alternative could just be to randomize and slow the mode down a bit.

For home play, you could simply award the artifact in addition to the 25 million option when selected. If you know the route, the only reason you play it at home is to go for the additional artifact. By just awarding it anyway, you cut down on the amount of times you have to play it, which would really only be when you want to. It's not as much fun to do it that way though. I'd rather earn it.

Maybe instead of having to take the correct route, you just have to make it through X number of caverns. That way it's really the bombs you're avoiding. However, this option isn't exactly in keeping with the spirit of the game.

Yet another option would be to program several fixed routes that are selectable in the settings. Maybe something a little harder than left left right right etc. like it is now. You could close your eyes and randomly select a route on the settings. That would provide some challenge until you figure out which one it is, then you could randomly change it again.

You could also have several passages (maybe 4) that lead to the end, but the awards are randomized at the end of each route. So going to the end of route A would result in 100M one game and then maybe an artifact next time. For multiplayer games, they would stay the same based on how many times each player has played the mode. If player 1 plays the mode and gets 100m at the end of route A, then player 2 will know 100m is there for their turn. They would still need to know the exit patterns for the other routes though, and even then they only have a 1/3 chance to get the artifact.

Finally, it could be fun to have an option of actually randomizing the video mode itself! Instead of shuttles, you randomly get the hidden Breakout game or Riker's poker.

#521 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

and tournament mode setting to disable it? tournament play should not be an video game.

There's already a setting to disable it completely, though I think it does change the game quite a bit by eliminating it entirely. As Soren mentioned, the mode pops up maybe too frequently.

#524 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You can disable poker night but not the video mode entirely although there is a romset where the video mode just awards 25m, I think an earlier beta test rom from Soren.

Ah that must be the revision I have because when disabled it just awards the 25m regardless of selection.

Quoted from slochar:

I don't mind video modes as it can be a strategy on STTNG to complete an artifact set to increase your billions going into FF. Some games you can abuse it (DW) for sure, since it's such a safe shot.

I don't mind it either. I think it's a fun part of the game and integrated nicely with the theme, but I also agree it should be less frequent and/or more challenging because I skip in 96% of the time when playing at home.

4 months later
#589 2 years ago

Soren, thanks for your hard work! Indeed exciting to see official releases even though I don't have these games. Looking forward to STTNG! Are you basing these revisions off the non-ghosting versions of ROMs for games that have that issue?

#592 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

You could say I am. Williams was updating the (WPC system) lamp refresh procedure sometime in 1995. And that procedure no. 2 works better with LED lamps. Though you might find some types of LED that are so bad they look poor regardless. The new ROM releases for games that were using the old procedure will be have it upgraded to the new one. TOM was originally released with the new procedure. No upgrade necessary.

I was curious because I have the "ghosting-free" ROM in my game that I bought aftermarket, but I have no idea exactly what that entails. Not sure if it's an updated factory ROM like you mentioned or something that was homebrewed. Just thought it would be worth mentioning. Thank you for the response!

#599 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

I cannot speak for any modified ROM that may be installed out there. But I know that some of the "ghost free" versions circulating was done using a tool that does the same thing. Replacing the procedure in the earlier games with the one Williams started using in 1995. In other words. If you are using one of these ROMs, the lamp performance on ROMs from my hand should be the same.

And speaking for WPC games only on this.

Thank you both for the clarification!

1 week later
#605 2 years ago
Quoted from Kobex:

My #1 request would be a way to more quickly time out missions, perhaps only while the ball is trapped.

Sounds like it would cheapen the game. Even waiting on the modes to time out adds to the building tension of finally getting to the Final Frontier. In fact, I might like the opposite where the modes only count down 5 seconds and stop until a switch hit, forcing you to play like modern games do.

Quoted from Kobex:

- Fixing the high scores to properly track 10+ billion scores outside the Grand Champion and new Q continuum entries would be great!

This would be great indeed! I don't think this has been discussed for sure, but definitely worthwhile.

Quoted from Kobex:

- Warp 9 could use some help. I'd personally like an option to not have the downsides of reaching warp 9 (delta quadrant ramp no longer awarding warps, ball start option drops to warp 2). With the high risk and low reward of completing warp 9, I actively plan mode selections around not activating it. It's a shame since it's such a cool mode. Having a better reward for completing it (or halfway through), like an artifact or two, EB, or higher point award, would also be nice, but I'm guessing that may also be outside the scope here.

I agree with a lot of this too. It should at least drop to Warp 4 so the spinner stays lit. However, overpowering too much might have the unintended consequence of making this the preferred strategy in the game instead of multiball and modes. Yeah, it's hard to do and should be rewarded, but it shouldn't be exponentially more valuable than another strategy.

Quoted from Kobex:

- It'd be nice to not use up a kickback if a ball save is currently active or at least not use up the kickback. Those outlanes can be brutal enough.

Great idea. This should absolutely be implemented. Really annoying when your kickback and your ball save go off at the same time.

Quoted from Kobex:

- Romulan mode isn't great but doesn't come up all that often. A better reward or a way to time it out faster would be a plus but not critical.

This goes for any of the Neutral Zone multiballs. The jackpots should really be around 50 million to make them worthwhile.

#607 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

STTNG is not fun when it's too easy though, I got FF 4 times on someone's game because they had it set to pay out all the replay levels as extra balls, and everything was set really, really easy. I walked away with 3 balls to play and 30+ billion, it was just too boring.

Yeah that was my thought too. Pinball is more fun when you actually have to play pinball. Technically you can just time out all the modes and get to the wizard mode. What's the point of that? Options are great, but I wonder about the logistics of that. Sounds like it would require much more coding. I'm also curious about how much room there is to work with. This is a bit different, but I know Chad had some trouble recoding the DE games because they only have a miniscule amount of memory.

3 months later
#629 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Hey everyone. Any news or forecast on possible coding work related to STTNG?

Soren said a while back in the thread he would basically release them when they're ready. A lot of us have provided suggestions for that game in this thread though, so feel free to drop some suggestions here if you have any. I would imagine he has to have access to a game for testing before writing any new code for it, so he may be prioritizing games he has nearby.

3 months later
#772 1 year ago
Quoted from Kobex:

- An optional mode where missions aren't marked as completed if they time out or otherwise end without collecting an artifact.

This is a fantastic idea except for the Q mode. On some machines the Picard Maneuver is damn near impossible, and it's required to finish the mode.

1 year later
#950 56 days ago

I check in about every 4 months to see if there is any noise about STTNG. Alas...

#960 53 days ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Check the Sttng club. LX-9 is about to drop.

Thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NH
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 24.00
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pahuffman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades?tu=Pahuffman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.