• Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240108_210859 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
sound files CGC (resized).png
Terminator2_L8_3 - Description.pdf (PDF preview)
20220601_221755 (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 9.04.27 PM (1) (resized).jpeg
MBA_Message.pdf (PDF preview)
coding_400x267-1 (resized).jpg
P1020388 (resized).JPG
06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf (PDF preview)
154719499_10226515021761326_4843147460346241911_o (resized).jpg
drug message (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
20201231_105558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 List of games and updated software versions. Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #29 Soren talks about PPS partnership on Slam Tilt Podcast Posted by Gizmonic (3 years ago)

Post #58 LED Lamp Ghosting - Procedure 1 vs Procedure 2 Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #125 Changing video modes is not easy... Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #153 PPS has the source code! Posted by PPS (3 years ago)

Post #186 Soren sets expectations Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #197 Where the CPU rom is located for swap on WPC games. Posted by Manny65 (3 years ago)

Post #251 Analysis of the WPC lamp matrix operation Posted by soren (3 years ago)

Post #685 Demolition Man Rom 7.0 Released Posted by soren (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joe_Blasi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

So these are not available for free download? I understand, lots of work have went into development and thanks for that!

they may show up in the mame / pinmame rom places. Maybe not the main ones but the other full rom repos.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

This would not be possible without the investment of PPS and a handful of us authorized burners that stand behind Soren and what he does. We are so happy to see this finally become a reality. If you do not get the rom from an authorized source (listed in original post) such as myself, or turn around and distribute the one you bought, you won't be supporting the efforts to continue future updates and it may come to an end.

there should be an place to buy the rom files for people who want to burn there own rom for use in there own games. So they don't need to pay for shipping / chip costs.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

We had given soren a list of enhancements and modifications that we collected thru the years as well as input from Josh Sharpe, etc. Now the hard work is for Soren to figure out what can be done when (he most likely has other things to do in his life!), but we will try to get a cadence of new releases. Again, please don't bootleg them, as the monies are to help compensate Soren, it would be a shame to shut this down or having to figure out a different way so we are hoping the community supports this and will help put pressure if you see this going on ... thx

does he have the source code to work with?

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

$15 - price of a round of coffee at Starbucks!
Wonder if any plans for the big three? MM, AF, MB?

I think the home roms for MB does a lot and it's on the remake.

MM is good and the home rom does a few more things.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

For crying out loud, the pinball community has a huge asset in programmers who are continuing to lend their hands to make the games that we enjoy, very expensive games, even better many years after the original company that produced them cut ties. 15-20 bucks for a darn chip is no big deal for gods sake! Really??!

not saying that and say paying $12-$13 to just download and not have to pay shipping costs = more to the programmer
hell people who play Virtual pinball may want to buy the roms and they really can't use chips.

and no sold out of chips

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

no games to send money for...
Not sure we'll ever see a STNG update.
Monster Bash was clobbered by the remake.
So looks like I'm on the sidelines indefinately.

STNG will need both main line and home rom updates.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I know some games are more complete than others, but I was only thinking how cool it would be to have a champions table for MB -
Mosh Pit Champion
Full Moon Fever Champion
Ball and Chain Champion
Frankenstein Champion
Drac Champion
Mummy Mayhem Champion
Creature Champion
Only a small change but it would really add to the game.

tournament mode have random awards do a bit more then just fixed points in an fair way. MM, AFM, have that.

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from drgary:

soren: Just an idea:
If you can use the sourcecode, what about adding (optional) daily highscores? You could develop it once and then the deploy that code in all roms. And its not about adding or changing any rules, so WMS would most probably be okay with it.
It would be perfect to have these daily highscores for partys, small tournaments or kids while keeping the all time high scores.

Do all the games have the rom space, cpu , ram , nvram for that? With the other stuff added in?

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

It could be treated like a software program update, with a discount for previous update buyers. Honestly though, at $15, I would be fine getting this update and another update at a future time, or two if there is something I want in the version. I will be getting the CFTBL v5, but I have had no issue with the VL-4 I have been using. Had this been $50, I might have thought twice, but at $15, no brainer. Its priced very fair IMO. Also looking forward to a Getaway update ...

and that is where an paid download choice is good with an small cost for people who need to get an chip to get that updated chip.

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from soren:

see it again. You feel you can play it blindfold. But it is random and challanging enough that in competition you see people fail to max it.
So if a video mode makes a game too tedious or repetitive (repetitive at will in competition), and you want to do something about this, I like to look into the conditions of priming and starting the mode to start with.

Video modes also should be the same the with different art work. DE / SEGA / STERN reused the same layout from DE GRN way to much

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

WPC game updates are cool and all, but I’m really excited at the prospect of updating code on System 11 titles as well. So much potential! Earthshaker could use a code update to relight that jackpot (and make the jackpot value consistent, and lessen the ability to spam that center ramp to Max it out.
Whirlwind could use an update to finally make that 3-way combo worth shooting for. Or maybe a routine for 2-way combos?
Maybe an update to Taxi to equalize the jackpot between players and a tournament setting to normalize joyride awards between players as well.
What a time to be alive!! Thanks Soren for your hard work!

I think the roms for taxi do have an small jackpot window that can be set right now. That more or less makes it the same for all.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

BSD has an issue where your bonus is lost if you get a tilt warning during a ball drain... which is when you would most often expect a tilt warning to occur.

Doctor Who has the same bug

Also BSD better recovery from the game losing track of # of balls in play?

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

And an 18 hole wizard mode. But that is probably a pipe dream.

Hole-In-One Challenge can move it to or add an Super Hole-In-One Challenge?

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

BoP big wheel awards for tournament play. It would be nice to shut the 1B off and make it a 10M score each time you make two balls up to the 4th face.
There's other glitchy stuff in that game but it's mostly to do with attract mode stuff or music cutting out when a ball is locked when you drain your last ball.

you can change the % for the 1B 99 makes it happen all the time.

1 week later
#278 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

soren pps
Thank you for the updated CFTBL ROMs. A little disappointed that the NEW CAR award wasn't finally added to the prize giveaways from the Snackbar. Oh, well... Maybe next update.

and they people will call in say where is my new car?

#287 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Since PPS has access to the source code, do you also have access to the original (uncompressed) sound recordings? I ask because I'm a purist. I love the idea of PinSound to improve the quality of sounds on older games like TZ, but I want the original sounds. It'd be awesome if PinSound could be utilized, using the original sound files, but uncompressed / higher quality.

they seem to the remakes have original (uncompressed) sound in them.

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I love the idea of never taking away original gameplay, but any updated features like this, make it user selectable. Thanks for your work on all these classics.
If you do updated rules and bug fixes for games being remade by Cgc, is there an option to update the code for the remakes too?

Can you side load roms on there?

Does MM have an choice to use home roms?

MB has the home rom with coin play.

#331 3 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but here’s 2 obvious ones.
Twilight zone: The lit 5M stand ups actually award 10M, which can be significant in some scenarios. Would be great if this was changed to 5M.
Shadow: The 2-way loop combo is a little too valuable. Currently, it’s a base of 10M that increases by 3M each time. I’ve gotten it over 100M a few times and as fun as it is, it scores quite a bit. I’d suggest base of 10M, increase by 1M, and cap at around 30M. Maybe even throw in having it reset every ball.

hotel multi-ball bug

I think some times the game can get messed up with balls being held in the holes in multi-ball

1 week later
#350 3 years ago

did they just rip off that art work?

1 week later
#377 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

AFM: if a ballsearch occurs during the post-winning-RTU ball drain sequence, the ball handling logic gets hosed and upon resuming the game will stop recognizing any ball in any hole or trough. Impossible to end the game at that point.

does the home rom do that?

1 month later
#424 3 years ago
Quoted from soren:

It means, that the options for that adjustment is of no function. It is simply taken out of the design at some point. You see that in other games as well. Feature adjustments that was later scrapped but are still in. And some that do not work.
BTW. You cannot have a general "Multiball" random awards on a game without auto plunger. For CFTBL at most it could mean multilball ready to start.

you can have an 2 ball one at an mystery. Just launch an ball and wait for 1st switch hit to kick ball from mystery.
CFTBL has ball saver.

#425 3 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Hmmm. I am not so sure. And that is because I see video mode in a larger perspective. What does it bring to the gameplay. Does it work well in the flow and for the time it takes to play and how difficult it is to understand. How does it work strategically for points.
STTNG video mode works a bit like IJ. With the latter being random. And considerably more difficult. And the IJ one does not even have the bombs.
I still stand on the STTNG one suffers mainly for being too easily restartable. To me that is death to a video mode element because video mode is safe points.

force poker mode

#427 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Have a setting for Max number of shuttle runs. After that it doesn't light.

or disable video mode

#435 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

This reminds me of a pet peeve of mine. I completely understand the reason for disabling extra balls for tournaments, but why do they (especially on B/W games) make the point "novelty" award for so low a value? It messes up the goal/reward structure.
If a shot/combination/sequence was worthy of an extra ball normally, then in a tournament it should be worth a significant number of points - at least something worth shooting for - not some barely noticeable amount.

don't most WPC games give 0 for EB's (some even auto spot light EB mode) when maxed but DE / SEGA / STERN give points.

#441 3 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Oh I agree. It is not a hugh deal to refine scoring in terms of implementing it in the code. Which is also why say, that I believe, that stuff like points for extra ball and special etc. is uneven or even absent on some games is because it was simply not in the main thought process. Some of it might have been the case of "we set it to x and figure it out later". And then never got around to it again.
Some games even award 0 points for extra ball when off or exceeded the max. Why? Why not just mask off lighting the EB lamp in the first place. Like some other games do. Well, it might exactly be a case of ... we do it later.

In video modes on some games EB is replaced with BS when at max or EB's set to 0

BS = Big Score

1 week later
#457 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

It depends upon what you mean by "ball save". Do you mean "plunged the ball and it drained in the first few seconds, so give it back" or do you mean "just started multi-ball and some of the balls drained right away, so keep giving me more"?
If you mean the first one, then yes, you can have ball save without an autoplunger. If you mean the second one, then no, you need an autoplunger.

Road Show has some 2 ball multi-ball savers aka lose both balls and get one back.

Big Guns has INVINCIBLE mode and if you lose all balls you get one back.

2 weeks later
#493 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You might be in luck, if the profanity sound ROMS replaced the original callout sound data, they should play with a newer revision. If the profanity callouts are additional data in the sound ROM and not replacement, you'd have to edit the new ROM to call the profanity sound effects. I remember the potty-mouth version would say both "be well" and "be f*cked" so it may be the letter setup...

the home rom add an vulgar speech settings and when you tilt warnings say fuck you in sound and on the DMD

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I think that's T2? DM had more profanity added than that.

that is just one thing there is an lot more
Full tilt they say puck ass mouthfucker

#500 3 years ago
Quoted from Enver:

If geekmem serves me right -- Flight Insurance in F-14 was first. Of course, most likely not yet part of a general low-level ruleset for all machines building on the same OS.
/Enver

it was linked to EB's and EB off = Game says ball saved when it is not.

2 months later
#519 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Bingo. I think this may be the way to do it. Another alternative could just be to randomize and slow the mode down a bit.
For home play, you could simply award the artifact in addition to the 25 million option when selected. If you know the route, the only reason you play it at home is to go for the additional artifact. By just awarding it anyway, you cut down on the amount of times you have to play it, which would really only be when you want to. It's not as much fun to do it that way though. I'd rather earn it.
Maybe instead of having to take the correct route, you just have to make it through X number of caverns. That way it's really the bombs you're avoiding. However, this option isn't exactly in keeping with the spirit of the game.
Yet another option would be to program several fixed routes that are selectable in the settings. Maybe something a little harder than left left right right etc. like it is now. You could close your eyes and randomly select a route on the settings. That would provide some challenge until you figure out which one it is, then you could randomly change it again.
You could also have several passages (maybe 4) that lead to the end, but the awards are randomized at the end of each route. So going to the end of route A would result in 100M one game and then maybe an artifact next time. For multiplayer games, they would stay the same based on how many times each player has played the mode. If player 1 plays the mode and gets 100m at the end of route A, then player 2 will know 100m is there for their turn. They would still need to know the exit patterns for the other routes though, and even then they only have a 1/3 chance to get the artifact.
Finally, it could be fun to have an option of actually randomizing the video mode itself! Instead of shuttles, you randomly get the hidden Breakout game or Riker's poker.

and tournament mode setting to disable it? tournament play should not be an video game.

3 weeks later
#528 2 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

free play only

there is an tool out there that can remove that on any rom file.

1 month later
#536 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

My policy is that the basis for any new version of software is ALWAYS the latest official release. And then broken/removed features from previous revs are ported back in. Or reenabled with fixes.

what about the official home roms? that where not full releases?

2 months later
#580 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

One of the problems of a T2 fix is that the game is known for a bug that I cannot reproduce. And have never seen happen myself. That the cannon hits to start multiball takes an underflow to 255. I may hang on an earlier revision. So already fixed. I don't know. Any information is much appreciated.

I think that bad stuff can happen if you get restart when it's at zero.

4 months later
#673 2 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

You can increase the jack-pots. The inlanes increase them .

and the super can b

Quoted from Exgametrader:

I can only assume it is a licensing/legal issue why it hasn’t happened yet but would love to see a set of roms that allow the swearing on Demolition Man with coin drop.
The swearing actually fits the game really well and it would be on location next to a Rick & Morty with cursing set to 100% so it’s pretty tame in comparison.

rom home-6B has that (need to change the sound roms + cpu rom)

#709 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

What do you want for The Shadow?

there is an bug with hotel multi ball draining one right at the end of ball save
also 255 hits to open Battlefield can happen??

other bugs listed at
http://tiltforums.com/t/shadow-bug/5776/13

1 week later
#738 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Also a fix for the scoring display error over 9,999,999,999
From a play guide I found online

there are other bugs with 3-bank targets

1 week later
#747 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

Getting the Shadow bug fixes alone would be fantastic. It's such a good game, it deserves to have that final polish.
If I had a software magic wand, the one feature I would like to add is a Hotel Monolith "second chance." If you lose a ball, you have a few seconds to make a shot to get it back. Say, light any ring or shoot Mode Start. If you lose a ball again, the second chance shot gets harder... maybe 2 rings, or the Khan saucer. Probably, you'd only get 1-2 such chances, you shouldn't extend the mode forever.
I cannot imagine how hard it is to modify this old code, wow. Thanks to Soren for whatever we can get. It's all awesome.

does any other game with multi ball restart that get's harder from that time?

4 months later
#795 1 year ago
Quoted from soren:

WPC games go to game over after 10 mins of inactivity. Except when configured for tournament play.

Not tested on all games (for obvious reasons). But feel free.

does that work on games with NVRAM that don't keep good time?

1 week later
#816 1 year ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I'll never forget watching a coil lock on and smoke on a pin at a FreePlay place in Providence. I told the door person, and then when they realized I had turned the machine off they proceeded to attempt to throw me out of the arcade for turning a game off.

just keep it on and then after the fire in the lawsuit there rule about that will dam them.

1 week later
#848 1 year ago
Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

2) they can be included in digital recreations. for example, TOM 2.0 could be put in zen's pinball fx into theater of magic, because it's a licensed ROM, while the CV one with the copycat video mode and new stuff can't.

CV 2.0 is some what licensed / official rom.

MB home rom with coin play is in the officially made remake.

pinball fx is not running the official roms for the games no they have modded roms with centership.

2 months later
#880 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

IMHO, I think Rick would be better to answer that.. Interesting thought, though. The originals would have been recorded on what, magnetic tape? Maybe copied over to CD?

I think dat-tape for some and if they have them the digital files.

CGC remakes have the original uncompressed sound files and don't emulate fully DCS

4 weeks later
#890 1 year ago
Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

Here's a general request.
Add Extra balls per game limit setting to standard WPC adjustments.
Extra balls per ball in play is really stupid, annoyoing, unintuitive, and only serves to confuse and screw players over.
Max extra balls stacked makes sense. When people stack up four extra balls, they don't feel cheated when they can't get a fifth. Eve a stack limit of 1 is understandable, though it is harsh (and Elvira and the Party Monsters needed that low limit).
Max extra balls per game, as implemented in earthshaker and whirlwind, also makes sense. Players understand "okay i've gotten a lot of extra balls, i'm not gonna get any more." They don't feel cheated. They feel good that they've gotten the game to say "no more extra balls".
Max per BIP only serves to screw people out of extra balls. If you have a bad ball 1, you've lost three balls. you can no longer collect the two extra balls you were allowed to, and now you only get a total of four extra balls, because you failed to get two of them on ball one. If it were balls per game six instead, like whirlwind does, then you could comeback and get all six of them.
I'd honestly prefer if max per b.i.p. was replaced by max per game throughout all of WPC, with defaults tripled (or 5xed for five ball play).
Many games need this setting, but b.i.p. 2 is too harsh, while 6 per game is fair, and works on existing tables. I've actually hit the extra ball cap on whirlwind in real life. if i didn't the game would have never ended.
Every other manufacturer offers max per game on anything remotely approaching current. Even pre sega data east offers this.

WPC has max per game

3 weeks later
#911 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Please add an autolaunch feature to JD. I hate free pinball night when people walk away from a game in progress on JD and it doesn't clear the game on its own.

it's also can be an issue when useing plunge only EB rules.

1 year later
#959 57 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

https://dotsandloopspinball.com/software/
It's been a while for sure.... last release group was 10-2021. I'd think the ones that never made it out officially would be an easier go at it unless there was something soren wanted to tweak on them.
vpinuniverse seems to have a lot of the patched roms available, sometimes ones that probably shouldn't really be there, like the interim versions of seawitch - there's no reason to keep buggy code there. All my code that I put on tsqmadness unless specifically marked is BETA code, i.e. test versions - at least you'd hope that someone would remove the older ones that are verified to not work properly. I think someone has a notification when I post something there because it gets u/l to vpu within minutes-hours.

pinmame / mame likes to have all versions that it can.

#967 57 days ago

but for competition play you don't need an full make over Just the small fixes (well maybe no good gofers needs the 2.0 as the base game is way to buggy)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 36.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joe_Blasi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades?tu=Joe_Blasi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.