• Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240108_210859 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
sound files CGC (resized).png
Terminator2_L8_3 - Description.pdf (PDF preview)
20220601_221755 (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 9.04.27 PM (1) (resized).jpeg
MBA_Message.pdf (PDF preview)
coding_400x267-1 (resized).jpg
P1020388 (resized).JPG
06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf (PDF preview)
154719499_10226515021761326_4843147460346241911_o (resized).jpg
drug message (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
20201231_105558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 969 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 20.
#901 1 year ago

I finally installed the v2.0 rom for Theatre of Magic, upgrading from from a rom labelled 1.3A.

For instructions, there seems to be a gap between the documentation in the manual and the material provided with the new rom and on this thread. In particular the Adjustments A.2 16 to A.2 20 lack documentation. Is there a place where I can find the documentation, however brief, for these adjustments?

Thanks for any help

#902 1 year ago
Quoted from ciner8:

I finally installed the v2.0 rom for Theatre of Magic, upgrading from from a rom labelled 1.3A.
For instructions, there seems to be a gap between the documentation in the manual and the material provided with the new rom and on this thread. In particular the Adjustments A.2 16 to A.2 20 lack documentation. Is there a place where I can find the documentation, however brief, for these adjustments?
Thanks for any help

Post 2 on the front page of thread has the links to the release notes for each of the updated games, that’ll contain all the new adjustments. TOM 2.0 Release Notes https://dotsandloopspinball.com/rn/Theatre%20Of%20Magic%20rev%2020%20Release%20note.txt

EDIT: Arh I see your issue, yes the original manual listed adjustments up to A.2 15 and it looks like Soren's 2.0 adds A.2 21-24. So I assume that A.2 16-20 adjustments were added by B/W in subsequent code releases after the original manual was produced, yet they are not documented in the release notes of those early updates to the code. And I didn't find any doco IPDB that contains the info you're after. Maybe post a query on the TOM owners club thread and someone might be able to help you out??

#903 1 year ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

Lol, I’d pay $100 for an NGG rom that fixes everything, probably the most broken / incomplete WPC code to date

I’d say cactus canyon was worse and still is on the original. But I would love to see NGG with more.

#904 1 year ago
Quoted from soren:

That is news to me. Obviously a bug which I wish I would've fixed.

I had a similar situation / bug(?) with the grand finale yesterday in v2.0, never saw this happen before with 1.3x:

I reached the grand finale, while the last illusion was still running - don't remember which one. The grand finale was started (call out and animation), but no shot was counted for the grand finale, no call outs for 50m, no animation and also no score added at all (just the normal points for the shot), also no letters illuminated. I lost the ball before the grand finale would have been finished, but I guess it would not have had any impact and I would not have been awarded the 500m bonus...

I tried to reproduce this today manually, but the grand finale was started and counted as expected...

Nevertheless, there seems to be one or two bugs with the grand finale in 2.0...

#905 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Post 2 on the front page of thread has the links to the release notes for each of the updated games, that’ll contain all the new adjustments. TOM 2.0 Release Notes https://dotsandloopspinball.com/rn/Theatre%20Of%20Magic%20rev%2020%20Release%20note.txt
EDIT: Arh I see your issue, yes the original manual listed adjustments up to A.2 15 and it looks like Soren's 2.0 adds A.2 21-24. So I assume that A.2 16-20 adjustments were added by B/W in subsequent code releases after the original manual was produced, yet they are not documented in the release notes of those early updates to the code. And I didn't find any doco IPDB that contains the info you're after. Maybe post a query on the TOM owners club thread and someone might be able to help you out??

Thanks for looking, I'll check the other thread.

#906 1 year ago

I'm just chiming in to request a long needed Judge Dredd update as well. I really hope to see this game get the love it deserves! So much of the JD club thread is devoted to rom issues. Having definitive version would be SOOOO NICE and you would make alot of folks really happy! Thanks for your hard work soren!

1 week later
#907 1 year ago
Quoted from soren:

Eventhough the standard menu adj for extra balls where really "standard", meaning the same for all games 1990-99, it might have different interpretation game to game per the individual programmer. And if you told me I would also believe, that there are games out there where certain EB awards are given eventhough some max limit is reached. Simply because it was coded without checking.
Generally EB on mystery and semi random awards are less likely, if not prevented, for games where EBs have been earned already. They made algorithms for this even back in the earlier 1980s games. Other times EBs per some feature progression is once per game. Like TOM 6 o'clock. It is points after the first one EB. So you can say that EBs are self limiting.
I agree that EB limitation should be total per game and that is it. And I like to set the limit at 2. EBs per ball-in-play and stacked limit are weird, really. I like to see a game of pinball being progression through all balls to play. Apart from obvious things like timed modes, which ends with current ball.
EBs are a sweetspot between hooking players to come back a play again. And the ever so importent game-time. Which operators tend to see black/white as: the lower game-time the higher the earning. Meeeh, I dont think so. So I am going out on a limb saying, maybe lavish adjustments to limit EBs was introduced to have the operator dude pick your product.

The WPC boilerplate extra ball limit code provides only for stack limit, and the per BIP, which works as i've said. it's that way in every single WPC game i've tested.

I think some bean counter at williams suggested that balls per ball in play is more profitable, because it lets people get screwed out of future extra balls by draining before collecting them. In the way that a per game limit doesn't do.

Fairly often the game is hard enough that people don't need to bother with setting the b i p limit. other times, it's ... not. But BIP limit is too harsh, when a per game limit 3 times the BIP limit that will accomplish the same goal of making sure games end.

#908 1 year ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I’d pay $100.00 for a ball save on funhouse!

It has a ball save.. even a call out for it:

"You can have it back..." Biff.

I suppose it does not have a timed ball save, options are always nice.. but for me, the play-again appeal of classics is based on the lack of mercy.

#909 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

It has a ball save.. even a call out for it:
"You can have it back..." Biff.
I suppose it does not have a timed ball save, options are always nice.. but for me, the play-again appeal of classics is based on the lack of mercy.

Don’t listen to him Soren !

#910 1 year ago
Quoted from themotherbrain:

I'm just chiming in to request a long needed Judge Dredd update as well. I really hope to see this game get the love it deserves! So much of the JD club thread is devoted to rom issues. Having definitive version would be SOOOO NICE and you would make alot of folks really happy! Thanks for your hard work soren!

Please add an autolaunch feature to JD. I hate free pinball night when people walk away from a game in progress on JD and it doesn't clear the game on its own.

#911 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Please add an autolaunch feature to JD. I hate free pinball night when people walk away from a game in progress on JD and it doesn't clear the game on its own.

it's also can be an issue when useing plunge only EB rules.

#912 1 year ago

Is there information on the STTNG LX8 Rom release?

#913 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Is there information on the STTNG LX8 Rom release?

me too...was this your work Soren?...I can't find it on Planetary's website

1 month later
#914 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

me too...was this your work Soren?...I can't find it on Planetary's website

removed

#915 1 year ago

Removed

2 weeks later
#916 11 months ago

Turned on my white water to play and got the credit dot. Had my suspicions and yes, it was the bigfoot cave switch, again (yep, I suck).

If you make a new wh2o ROM then please add options to disable credit dot warning for unactivated "bigfoot cave, switch 58" and "secret passage, switch 45" please.

#917 11 months ago

Any chance Fastbreak could be updated so that the trivia concession is an automatic 10 points if tournament mode is enabled? Took a crack at doing this myself, but my assembler-fu wasn't up to snuff.

#918 11 months ago
Quoted from Rolpa:

Any chance Fastbreak could be updated so that the trivia concession is an automatic 10 points if tournament mode is enabled? Took a crack at doing this myself, by assembler-fu wasn't up to snuff.

I have a card on the apron w all the answers

2 months later
#919 9 months ago

Not official,

but we finished Game Rom L8.4 for Terminator 2.
We have to wait until the files have been uploaded to IPDB to ensure they are approved and remain on that site.

1 month later
#920 7 months ago

Btw, here is how i'd fix TotAN making a minimum of change.

It's incredibly simple, and fixes both lightning lamp genie battle stack and harem stack, with zero change to the intent of the rules.

Make it so the ball save for genie battle also cancels harem multiball (harem multiball has no ball saver) and lightning lamp (is normally ended by a drain unless in regular multiball, and since regular multiball has no ball saver, it's balanced there)

The two stacks are only broken if they last until the end of the mode. The modes are normally fairly balanced.

This just leave harem multiball itself, which can score stupidly high on it's own if focuses on to the exclusion of all else, which can be further fixed for competition play by not letting you start it twice on one ball. After starting it, no more harem letters until you drain. A tournament spec TotAN should make that strategy pretty difficult anyway.

Everything else can stay as is.

#921 7 months ago
Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

Btw, here is how i'd fix TotAN making a minimum of change.
It's incredibly simple, and fixes both lightning lamp genie battle stack and harem stack, with zero change to the intent of the rules.
Make it so the ball save for genie battle also cancels harem multiball (harem multiball has no ball saver) and lightning lamp (is normally ended by a drain unless in regular multiball, and since regular multiball has no ball saver, it's balanced there)
The two stacks are only broken if they last until the end of the mode. The modes are normally fairly balanced.
This just leave harem multiball itself, which can score stupidly high on it's own if focuses on to the exclusion of all else, which can be further fixed for competition play by not letting you start it twice on one ball. After starting it, no more harem letters until you drain. A tournament spec TotAN should make that strategy pretty difficult anyway.
Everything else can stay as is.

Wishing for a Gem needs to be eliminated or at least configurable in the menu options.

Add a Super Jackpot shot in multiball.

Tweaks to some modes to make them a bit more difficult to finish.

#922 7 months ago

Two years since the big announcement. Can someone post a list of what was actually released? I don't know where to look.

#923 7 months ago
#924 7 months ago

mine is the minimal "just fix it and be done with it" proposal.

What would you replace wishing for jewels with? Scoring the jewel value (or double jewel value with ruby) without actually getting the jewel?

There is a a limit of seven wishes total anyway, with a stack limit of three. An option to further limit the number of wishes (perhaps to three total instead of three stacked) would stop people from wishing everything away, and that only gets you to the first genie battle anyway.

Incidentally, i have a more moderate video mode nerf for Junkyard. Option for allowing completing an adventure to requalify dog ramp. This prevents the hold pass and hit dog ramp all day strategy just as well, without making video mode completely unviable. This could be an easy/moderate/hard adjustment, with hard the 2.0 behavior, and easy the original broken behavior.

2 months later
#925 5 months ago

Whirlwind

1) Fix hard limit of 10 Compasses. Admittedly, this NEVER comes up in tournaments, but sometimes in home games with enough practice. Alternatively, if last compass is finished, re-enable ramp quick multiball to give you something to do besides right ramp all day with no fan and discs. but i'd prefer the former.

2) This one IS a tournament fix. Option to install 4 balls like the prototype i played, and chose either 3 or 4 ball multiball. This allows fixing the lock stealing issue where someone can use quick multiball to steal unearned locked balls and start a highly advantageous multiball stack. If four balls are installed, and three ball multiball is used, then when two physical balls are locked, quick multiball can still be started without clearing the lock, and the stack will only be allowed to happen if you have two *earned* locks. Or the stack will simply never happen at all, which is honestly better in tournaments, because that stack is seriously broken in its ability to let you play an extended 1 ball multiball. Four ball mutiball will re-enable that particular stolen stack.

1 month later
#926 3 months ago

Is this initiative still active?

#927 3 months ago
Quoted from _Zaphod77_:

Option to install 4 balls like the prototype i played,

I think Whirlwind only has 3x trough switches?

If so, having an extra ball installed would be not great.

rd

#928 3 months ago
Quoted from dudah:

Is this initiative still active?

Bumping, as I'd buy the ROM updates for Taxi, Earthshaker, and BSD that soren originally produced, but were pulled after this project began.

#929 3 months ago

I'm in on Earthshaker

#930 3 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:Bumping, as I'd buy the ROM updates for Taxi, Earthshaker, and BSD that soren originally produced, but were pulled after this project began.

What was changed/upgraded in the BSD Code?
Any infos available?

#931 3 months ago
Quoted from harig:

Any infos available?

Hopefully fixing the bug where a tilt warning kills your rats/bats bonus!

#932 3 months ago
Quoted from harig:

The tread's changelog was deleted, but some changes were equalizing the mystery award to make the game more tournament friendly.

#933 3 months ago
Quoted from harig:

Any infos available?

Pop bumpers extend ball saver time. That's as far as that one got.

Quoted from roffels:

Hopefully fixing the bug where a tilt warning kills your rats/bats bonus!

There's a patch floating around for that (t1.7) which also awards 500k out of the mystery when set to tournament mode. No doubt available on pinball universe as it's quite old (papa romset from circa 2010-2011)

1 week later
#934 3 months ago

Question about LED's. Does this allowing dimming of insert lighting (smooth transition) so no OCDLED board needed and is it the same for general illumination?

#935 3 months ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Question about LED's. Does this allowing dimming of insert lighting (smooth transition) so no OCDLED board needed and is it the same for general illumination?

No. You will still need an LEDOCD and GIOCD.

#936 3 months ago

Any hope for new releases in 2024? FH, Congo and BSD are on my wishlist!

#937 88 days ago

Any updates on JD code? I haven’t seen anything posted in a long while…..

#938 87 days ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Any updates on JD code? I haven’t seen anything posted in a long while…..

After 2 years, I have to repeat myself. Judge Dredd owners, please tell us that this title needs some love. Make some noise - otherwise no hope.

Hi Soren,

This list is a compilation of issues/wishes about Judge Dredd based on Pinside rating comments, JD club comments, comments from this thread.

General wish:
Dead World locking from L1-AT merged with the bug fixes and ball logic of L7

Jrowedc (2020)
The code, despite those iterative fixes, is still buggy. The Start button, for example, will not start a new game until the Match sequence is underway after your game. Doesn't matter what the setting is in the software. There are a couple of modes that cannot be completed when lock is lit. Any shot on the left ramp will be applied to locks for multiball, not your mode. If you happen to achieve multiball before the mode expires, then it will resume back at the beginning, with your progress erased, after multiball is over.
When a ball is lost or stuck, it will undertake a ball search, as expected, but it will also, at the same time, launch a replacement ball. Now you have an extra ball in play. "You must have a defective or broken switch somewhere", you say. I do not, but this leads me to my next point: There is a lot of non-scoring stuff on the playfield, and I have batted the ball around, banging off posts and corners and edges of stuff over and over (and over) again, for long enough to trigger a ball search. It's fairly incredible when it happens, but I've done it a few times. Maybe I'm just exceptionally bad.

StrangelovePhD (2014)
I think biggest problem is that the code doesn't compensate for a lost ball. In other games, when the pinball screws up in tracking how many balls are in play it doesn't end play when something is trigging switches even though its bad count shows that all the balls are in the trough. For example, my BSD sometimes loses track of the balls and it will start going through adding up the bonuses and if the ball still in play triggers a switch, it jumps immediately back into play. JD doesn't have any programming to determine when there are still balls in play and even worse when it loses track of how many balls in play it carries the screwed up count into the next ball and puts two balls into trough instead of just one to start game. I have to turn the game on and off to reset the count. JD is dumb like that.

o-din (2014)
However, there does seem to be a glitch in the software with the deadworld mod. On a left ramp shot that didn't quite make it around and fell into the planet even though it wasn't diverted pretty much ruined the rest of the game and I had to restart the machine and clear error codes to bring it back to normal.
It was going into ball search and then counted the locked balls but wouldn't release them for multiball. Over and over.

JediPimp (2018):
(L1 L7 differences) I noticed a few changes like the main shooter lane was more responsive and the coil reacted quicker. The left shooter was also firing better with Air Raid. I noticed that voices didn't overlap as much (might have something to do with Pinsound as it included all sound files, some only used in certain version of the ROM), and I noticed that if you hit the question mark target during pursuit it would activate double missles with ramp shots (something that L1AT didn't do; I believe with L1AT after you hit the ? Target on pursuit it stops all missles entirely haha).

It still hasn't stopped the bug of the left ramp not working properly during manhunt millions when the planet is spinning (it always locks a ball instead of registering a manhunt million ramp shot). Other than that I like L7 even though I miss my 3 balls orbiting around deadworld :/

cynric (2020):
Game restart is broken, regardless of its setting.
Then there is the family mode setting, that afaik doesn't change a thing.
Also my machine shows that high voltage circuits were locked-out when opening the coindoor, although there is no lockout switch installed (and apparently never was) - having read of machines with and without it, I don't know if this is an exception or not. Maybe another text would be fitting..

trolldownstairs (2020):
Would love to see an option to do the three ball lock or just single ball lock. Also being able to stack the mutli-ball with a current mode would be nice to have, instead of it pausing the mode.

bartron (2020):
Judge Dredd could do with a few fixes. The main one being the left ramp exploit. The progressive nature means that the score gets bigger the more you make the shot. I've seen Cayle make the shot Sixty times in a row.
Shot should top out at 5 mil and then not count after that.
Also the Ultimate Challenge should change for something more like AFM. Have the five crime scenes lit , make all the shots then have a roving jackpot shot.

1 week later
#939 80 days ago

Would like to have a judge dredd deadworld mod with coin drop play.I can't find the L1-AH chip or file. I have access to a chip burner.

Thanks

3 weeks later
#940 60 days ago

Thanks Davi for the comprehensive rundown of JD issues. Good reference.

#941 60 days ago
Quoted from soren:

Thanks Davi for the comprehensive rundown of JD issues. Good reference.

Your alive! Let’s go on new releases for 2024!!!

#942 59 days ago

Option to disable certain switch checks for White Water would be great, ideally one option for each mentioned switch for greatest flexibility.

I can't be the only one that is really annoyed by a "false" credit dot just because I suck and can't hit certain switches within x nr of balls

Thinking of:

* Switch 58, Bigfoot Cave.
* Switch 45, secret passage
* Switch 71?, near the pops. This one might never activate depending on the games rubber configuration in that area.

#943 55 days ago

The WPC platform actually supports per switch definition for if their statistics should be used as basis for the credit dot / operator alert. As well as the infamous 3-switch ball-in-play logic. Where they alternatively could be configured for instant ball-in-play. Or passive (like trough switches are). So it was actually possible for programmers to optimise the game towards a trustworthy "somthing is broken" credit dot. And to not motivate deliberate drain and plunging over and over and over. For free game progression or skill shots.

However, the programmers of these games had ENOUGH to do getting the core game ready in time. So I guess the games were not always fine tuned in matters less important. Plus that software updates were seen by management at the time as waste of time and necessary evil at best. Legend has it, that some, if not a lot of, the software bug fixes we luckly have today are thanks to the programmers own pride and desire to perfect their game. Putting in their own time and pushing for a release.

#944 54 days ago
Quoted from soren:

The WPC platform actually supports per switch definition for if their statistics should be used as basis for the credit dot / operator alert. As well as the infamous 3-switch ball-in-play logic. Where they alternatively could be configured for instant ball-in-play. Or passive (like trough switches are). So it was actually possible for programmers to optimise the game towards a trustworthy "somthing is broken" credit dot. And to not motivate deliberate drain and plunging over and over and over. For free game progression or skill shots.

This sounds cool, but I’m not really fully understanding it as much as I’d like to. Could you (or someone else) explain this part like I’m 5?

#945 54 days ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

This sounds cool, but I’m not really fully understanding it as much as I’d like to. Could you (or someone else) explain this part like I’m 5?

Change number for switch to not track. Each switch has parameters associated with it and one of the parameters will ignore the switch when the switch error report is generated.

#946 53 days ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Switch 71?, near the pops. This one might never activate depending on the games rubber configuration in that area.

Where is this one on the switch diagram I don't see the one you mean?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#947 52 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Where is this one on the switch diagram I don't see the one you mean?[quoted image]

I meant 55, not 71. I've seen quite a lot of pictures online where people have rubbers between the two lowest pops thinking they will get less outlanes:
20240108_210859 (resized).jpg20240108_210859 (resized).jpg

Someone here on pinside proved they won't, but still people seem to do it and that will make 55 to never get hit.

#948 52 days ago

Assuming you have the fixed lh6 rom, change these bytes to suppress switches 45, 55, and 58 from showing in the error report.

06820E, from $80 to $A0
06825B, from $80 to $A0
068287, from $80 to $A0
0FFFEC, from $00 to $2D
0FFFED, from $16 to $88
0FFFEE, from $76 to $77

1 month later
#949 10 days ago

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone is working on a Johnny Mnemonic ROM code update?

I've noticed (unconfirmed) that the Spinner doesn't appear to have an associated sound, so it just spins silently. Seems like a crime to me!

It would be great to have an associated sound file for the spinner.

#950 6 days ago

I check in about every 4 months to see if there is any noise about STTNG. Alas...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tacoma, WA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Reston, VA
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens
Toppers
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 969 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.