You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MBA_Message.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
coding_400x267-1 (resized).jpg
P1020388 (resized).JPG
06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
154719499_10226515021761326_4843147460346241911_o (resized).jpg
drug message (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
20201231_105558 (resized).jpg
20201220_215711_HDR (resized).jpg
D56DA48E-3F0C-470D-90A8-C7F999B538AA (resized).jpeg
ab1c512d-6ef7-40c4-847d-52e816114c0c.jpeg
WPC95 - MPU board (resized).JPG
simpsons.gif
tenor.gif

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 759 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 16.
#601 7 months ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Soren,
Well today I received both the TOM 2.0 ROM updated by you and burned by Matt's Basement Arcade and also the TOM U22 security chip that I purchased off of Ebay from Classic Arcades. Everything works perfectly in the game and with the Tiger Saw mod.
I read through your release notes for the TOM 2.0 ROM version and verified that the functionality that you ported over from the 1.4H ROM version works like it should and also confirmed that the new enhanced Tiger Saw features work correctly.
I have attached a photo of the TOM 2.0 ROM and the TOM U22 security chip installed in my TOM. I also have included the following two URLs below which show my TOM booting up so you can see the serial number and game number from before the update with the 1.4H ROM and after the update with the 2.0 ROM.
Your porting of the Tiger Saw functionality from the 1.4H ROM to the 2.0 ROM worked perfectly during my testing via game play and also through testing on the diagnostic menus. Thanks for your help as this has been a learning experience for me, but it is always good to understand how things work.
Gord

[quoted image]

This is awesome! I hope to have the same results as you.

#602 7 months ago
#603 7 months ago
Quoted from soren:

Hmmm. I am not so sure. And that is because I see video mode in a larger perspective. What does it bring to the gameplay. Does it work well in the flow and for the time it takes to play and how difficult it is to understand. How does it work strategically for points.
STTNG video mode works a bit like IJ. With the latter being random. And considerably more difficult. And the IJ one does not even have the bombs.
I still stand on the STTNG one suffers mainly for being too easily restartable. To me that is death to a video mode element because video mode is safe points.

I think I agree with what you are saying overall, with regard to the role of video modes and the problem when they are too easy to restart.

In the case of STTNG specifically, if I had a magic wand, I would definitely wave it to make video mode randomized. You still have access to the sure thing points, but if you want a higher skill, higher risk/reward path, you'd play the game... which I would try to calibrate accordingly. In home use, having that video mode be randomized would be a real blessing because it might be fun again, instead of a chore.

I am sure it's tough to balance the needs of tourney and home players, they are pretty much opposite in some ways!

(FWIW the best video mode I have ever played is in The Shadow. Maybe I'm a weirdo, but it's actually fun. The control inputs feel good, there's a little forgiveness where you can graze a falling phurba and not die, there's no pattern to memorize, difficulty gradually increases, and the added aspect of pulling the trigger to clear the screen for a moment adds a genuinely interesting tactical choice.)

#604 6 months ago

The one pin I currently own is STTNG, and even the potential for an update an exciting thing to consider. Here are my 2 cents after my 2 years with the pin:

- My #1 request would be a way to more quickly time out missions, perhaps only while the ball is trapped. This could possibly be an input (perhaps triple-trigger like the holodeck 3 easter egg, or possibly using the buy-in button) if, say, nothing is activated for 5 seconds and a flipper is held or whatever condition best. Alternatively, ending modes once the artifact is attained (for those that don't), or more chances for a 2nd artifact (maybe completing rescue, destroying all 7 asteroids, something done with time rift), would also help but be potentially more involved changes and thus less likely.
- Fixing the high scores to properly track 10+ billion scores outside the Grand Champion and new Q continuum entries would be great!
- Warp 9 could use some help. I'd personally like an option to not have the downsides of reaching warp 9 (delta quadrant ramp no longer awarding warps, ball start option drops to warp 2). With the high risk and low reward of completing warp 9, I actively plan mode selections around not activating it. It's a shame since it's such a cool mode. Having a better reward for completing it (or halfway through), like an artifact or two, EB, or higher point award, would also be nice, but I'm guessing that may also be outside the scope here.
- It'd be nice to not use up a kickback if a ball save is currently active or at least not use up the kickback. Those outlanes can be brutal enough.
- Romulan mode isn't great but doesn't come up all that often. A better reward or a way to time it out faster would be a plus but not critical.

I don't think I mind the video mode as much as others. Making it random seems like it may be too hard unless otherwise tweaked. The rewards for completing it are important to current gameplay and can be a big part of the artifact strategy. I guess I wouldn't mind if it was shortened. Or perhaps with a fixed artifact reward option vs. points if you've already completed it once that game instead of doing it repeatedly.

In the end my request list of plausible changes would be:
1) Cancel mission option
2) High score fix
3) Option to remove Warp 9 penalties
4) Not losing kickback during ball save

#605 6 months ago
Quoted from Kobex:

My #1 request would be a way to more quickly time out missions, perhaps only while the ball is trapped.

Sounds like it would cheapen the game. Even waiting on the modes to time out adds to the building tension of finally getting to the Final Frontier. In fact, I might like the opposite where the modes only count down 5 seconds and stop until a switch hit, forcing you to play like modern games do.

Quoted from Kobex:

- Fixing the high scores to properly track 10+ billion scores outside the Grand Champion and new Q continuum entries would be great!

This would be great indeed! I don't think this has been discussed for sure, but definitely worthwhile.

Quoted from Kobex:

- Warp 9 could use some help. I'd personally like an option to not have the downsides of reaching warp 9 (delta quadrant ramp no longer awarding warps, ball start option drops to warp 2). With the high risk and low reward of completing warp 9, I actively plan mode selections around not activating it. It's a shame since it's such a cool mode. Having a better reward for completing it (or halfway through), like an artifact or two, EB, or higher point award, would also be nice, but I'm guessing that may also be outside the scope here.

I agree with a lot of this too. It should at least drop to Warp 4 so the spinner stays lit. However, overpowering too much might have the unintended consequence of making this the preferred strategy in the game instead of multiball and modes. Yeah, it's hard to do and should be rewarded, but it shouldn't be exponentially more valuable than another strategy.

Quoted from Kobex:

- It'd be nice to not use up a kickback if a ball save is currently active or at least not use up the kickback. Those outlanes can be brutal enough.

Great idea. This should absolutely be implemented. Really annoying when your kickback and your ball save go off at the same time.

Quoted from Kobex:

- Romulan mode isn't great but doesn't come up all that often. A better reward or a way to time it out faster would be a plus but not critical.

This goes for any of the Neutral Zone multiballs. The jackpots should really be around 50 million to make them worthwhile.

#606 6 months ago

Some of the STTNG for sure like fixing the bugs although I'd rather the Q-into-multiball bug exploit stays since I've used it to get almost 3 billion.

As long as they are selectable on/off, sure. Make the game easier if you like, or make it harder with the requiring you to play out the mode! More options definitely, that way anyone can tailor their game to their liking.

STTNG is not fun when it's too easy though, I got FF 4 times on someone's game because they had it set to pay out all the replay levels as extra balls, and everything was set really, really easy. I walked away with 3 balls to play and 30+ billion, it was just too boring.

#607 6 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

STTNG is not fun when it's too easy though, I got FF 4 times on someone's game because they had it set to pay out all the replay levels as extra balls, and everything was set really, really easy. I walked away with 3 balls to play and 30+ billion, it was just too boring.

Yeah that was my thought too. Pinball is more fun when you actually have to play pinball. Technically you can just time out all the modes and get to the wizard mode. What's the point of that? Options are great, but I wonder about the logistics of that. Sounds like it would require much more coding. I'm also curious about how much room there is to work with. This is a bit different, but I know Chad had some trouble recoding the DE games because they only have a miniscule amount of memory.

#608 6 months ago

So, what is the preference when a ball save is rewarded?

The message is

"BALL SAVE"

or

"BALL SAVED"

#609 6 months ago

this works for me !

#610 6 months ago
Quoted from soren:

So, what is the preference when a ball save is rewarded?
The message is
"BALL SAVE"
or
"BALL SAVED"

Ball saved . Hope your referring to Funhouse ! Rudy will be very happy

#611 6 months ago

This. Followed by "KEEP SHOOTING"

#612 6 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Ball saved . Hope your referring to Funhouse ! Rudy will be very happy

A ball saver would certainly add new life to Funhouse.

#613 6 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

A ball saver would certainly add new life to Funhouse.

and you can make Rudy say 'you can have it back, _____' (fill in his nickname for you)

#614 6 months ago

It already does say that; there's a ballsaver if you drain the plunge.

#615 6 months ago
Quoted from soren:

For a number of reasons, it has been quite lately. I know. Sorry for that.
Things are being worked on and releases are planned. Thanks for the support.

We wait, is for a good cause Hope TOTAN some day
Keep the good job.

#616 6 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

It already does say that; there's a ballsaver if you drain the plunge.

In order to get the ball back, it can hit no switches, no sling, nothing.

Its pretty rare to see it actually work.

1 month later
#617 5 months ago

I have been reading everyone's STTNG software update ideas, all good. Anything which helps this great game is fantastic.
Honestly, I am not a great player, so many of the scoring suggested improvements I have not encountered.
Posted previously are several suggestions, for more of a "Home Use" and "average player".

These would be in the MENU, and not affect gameplay for advanced players.
* Cannon Operation "Normal" (works as it currently does - out and back then auto fires) or "EXTENDED" where they have multiple revolutions before auto firing. 3 or unlimited.

Not to argue with anyone on here about whether this is important over fixing scoring issues, it's not. However this allows for less experienced players to actually put effort into aiming at targets rather than just firing at anything.

* Borg Engagement Time - possibly a setting allowing for a longer battle with the Borg (again, a MENU setting only). There are settings for other aspects of the game. Just an idea.

Appreciate anything which comes out for an upgrade, and will be purchasing it. Looking forward with excitement.

#618 5 months ago

In order to get the ball back, it can hit no switches, no sling, nothing.
Its pretty rare to see it actually work.

This is not true for Funhouse, it has a ball save specifically programmed for this machine:

Start a game, plunge the ball all the way around and let it drain. The ball will trigger the left orbit switch and you'll even hear its sound effect, but no points will be scored and it WILL return the ball if it drains ("Hey buddy you can have it back!") You can repeat this indefinitely, the playfield will not validate until something other than the orbit switches are hit.

I think an immediate left drain (plunge -> just the upper lane and left outlane switches) will also return the ball at least once.

This is in addition to the usual no-switch save.

#619 5 months ago
Quoted from soren:

Hmm. As I wrote earlier in the Shadow club...
There is a cap at 30M in effect for the combo value in The Shadow, but a when-equal test only. And by 10M + 3M times x being a 25, 28, 31,... series, with no 30M, I assume it was originally designed with +1M or +2M in mind. And not +3M.
When changing it to +3M the cap should have been changed to 40M to suit the upgrade. And so it worked(!). Had they done that, we would not have this talk now.
It is my assumption. If someone can get hold of Mr. Eddy, please ask if he remembers how this came about.

If Shadow is in the works, I'd like to nominate the addition of an add-a-ball during multiball. And possibly some scoring adjustment to the jackpots (or the ability to increase them before or during multiball).

2 weeks later
#620 4 months ago

With the disappointment of the FH2.0 teaser
( at least for me)…I’m hoping more than ever for a added ball save!

1 week later
#621 4 months ago

Would love a new Champion Pub rom that lets you remove Steve-o. Although funny, He seems a bit in poor taste these days.

#622 4 months ago
Quoted from lint:

Although funny, He seems a bit in poor taste these days.

Come on ...

#623 4 months ago

<

Exactly.

#624 4 months ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

If Shadow is in the works, I'd like to nominate the addition of an add-a-ball during multiball. And possibly some scoring adjustment to the jackpots (or the ability to increase them before or during multiball).

You can increase the jack-pots. The inlanes increase them .

#625 4 months ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

You can increase the jack-pots. The inlanes increase them .

Yes yes, but the lanes give a very marginal increase.

2 weeks later
#626 3 months ago

Let's all agree that NGG deserved a code polish and upgrade the most. Its a worthy layout with a fun theme and the best shot in pinball.

#627 3 months ago
Quoted from pinfarmer:

Let's all agree that NGG deserved a code polish and upgrade the most. Its a worthy layout with a fun theme and the best shot in pinball.

I'd love it, there's many times the slam ramp is lit but it doesn't go down.

1 week later
#628 3 months ago

Hey everyone. Any news or forecast on possible coding work related to STTNG?

coding_400x267-1 (resized).jpg
#629 3 months ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Hey everyone. Any news or forecast on possible coding work related to STTNG?

Soren said a while back in the thread he would basically release them when they're ready. A lot of us have provided suggestions for that game in this thread though, so feel free to drop some suggestions here if you have any. I would imagine he has to have access to a game for testing before writing any new code for it, so he may be prioritizing games he has nearby.

#630 3 months ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I was researching for a custom Tournament ROM for Taxi and I stumbled upon this thread from soren
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-taxi-custom-competition-rom
So I assume soren already created a custom Taxi patch years ago, which will eventually be released through PPS at some point? Just curious....because it would be great to be able to set the Jackpot min & max ranges & have the jackpot NOT rollover from game to game. The rollover kills Taxi for tourney play. A little slight polish & it would be the perfect System 11 IMO.
Hope the ROM is available again someday. Thanks for making all this possible. Cheers!

So whatever happened to the Taxi ROM you created 5 years ago. Did that ever get officially released yet?

#631 3 months ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So whatever happened to the Taxi ROM you created 5 years ago. Did that ever get officially released yet?

pinsider Kneissl might still have the old competition ROM. PM him.

#632 3 months ago

pinsider Kneissl might still have the old competition ROM. PM him.

I have the patch files for it sitting on my computer, but I don’t know how to either patch or burn them into an existing rom.

#633 3 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I have the patch files for it sitting on my computer, but I don’t know how to either patch or burn them into an existing rom.

The patch files were provided in an Xdelta3 format. Using the original ROM and the patch file, use Xdelta (xdelta.org) to create the new ROM file.

#634 3 months ago

I don't mind paying for it & supporting Soren's hard work. I know he's busy working on new stuff.

I just figured after the initial PPS announcement, most of his previous old ROM rewrites (that he completed years ago) would have already been released by now.

#635 3 months ago

If IJPA ever gets looked at my only request is that the startup POA test moves the POA more times before failing the test.

#636 3 months ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I don't mind paying for it & supporting Soren's hard work. I know he's busy working on new stuff.
I just figured after the initial PPS announcement, most of his previous old ROM rewrites (that he completed years ago) would have already been released by now.

I want the game ROM patch for my Rollergames to use in my pinball league. I messed up and did not get it back then. I would gladly pay for it even though I can patch and burn my own game ROMs.

#637 3 months ago

The only WMS machine I own is Rollergames. If there is ever a ROM update for it, I'll definitely buy it.

#638 3 months ago

Sounds like Soren needs a patreon.

#639 3 months ago

I just want a new rom release for any game, just to keep Sorens momentum going

#640 3 months ago

TOTAN rom would be amazing also, simple changes with a hudge return

1 week later
#641 86 days ago

I have a BSD with L-2c I think this is a Soren rom? Anyhow, I was wondering if there is a glitch? My machine goes into ball search when the ball is loaded in the shooter lane after about 15-20 seconds. It is driving me crazy. The shooter lane switch works and the settings are set for 90 seconds to launch ball but the game goes into ball search right away. I’m wondering if this is a glitch in the rom? Or I have a bigger issue?

#642 86 days ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

I have a BSD with L-2c I think this is a Soren rom? Anyhow, I was wondering if there is a glitch? My machine goes into ball search when the ball is loaded in the shooter lane after about 15-20 seconds. It is driving me crazy. The shooter lane switch works and the settings are set for 90 seconds to launch ball but the game goes into ball search right away. I’m wondering if this is a glitch in the rom? Or I have a bigger issue?

Bad/mis-adjusted switch in the shooter lane?

#643 86 days ago

Bad/mis-adjusted switch in the shooter lane?

I tested the switch in switch test with a ball. Everything tested fine?

#644 86 days ago

I tested the switch in switch test with a ball. Everything tested fine?

test it again, bounce the ball into the shooter lane multiple times and see if the switch works 100% of the time.

#645 86 days ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

test it again, bounce the ball into the shooter lane multiple times and see if the switch works 100% of the time.

I agree,

See if you can get it to fail on a soft roll out or by setting it very gently.

#646 86 days ago

Pull all the balls and go into switch level test. Make sure all switches showing closed are optos that you would expect to be closed. (optos are normally closed and open when triggered). If you have an opto somewhere registering the game will think there's a ball on the playfield.

After verifying the switches, do this: record your settings. Do a factory reset. See if behavior changes. Add your settings back in exactly. Test again. If it does it one way but not another, put the latest factory rom in (L-1). Do the same thing. Factory reset with default settings, test. Apply your settings. Test. For it to be the rom change, the only time it will happen without anything else changing would be when you have the modded rom in.

#647 85 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Pull all the balls and go into switch level test. Make sure all switches showing closed are optos that you would expect to be closed. (optos are normally closed and open when triggered). If you have an opto somewhere registering the game will think there's a ball on the playfield.
After verifying the switches, do this: record your settings. Do a factory reset. See if behavior changes. Add your settings back in exactly. Test again. If it does it one way but not another, put the latest factory rom in (L-1). Do the same thing. Factory reset with default settings, test. Apply your settings. Test. For it to be the rom change, the only time it will happen without anything else changing would be when you have the modded rom in.

Ok I printed out the switch matrix and everything is normal. completed a magnet test for the mist assembly and that tested without errors or faults. did a factory rest. went back into switch test placed ball in the shooter lane and that shooter lane switch tests fine. Trough switches all work... I am at a loss? I do not have the L-1 rom as the person I got the machine from did not give it to me. So I will wait for the L-1 rom and probably swap out a solid backup MPU I have on hand and install L-1 into that mpu when the rom arrives. If it goes into ball search after all that I guess I am going to pull out my hair? lol

#648 85 days ago

I have a BSD with L-2c I think this is a Soren rom?

I wasn't aware that Soren updated the original BSD CPU ROM (Version L-1). Can you provide a link?

Thanks.

Gord

#649 85 days ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I wasn't aware that Soren updated the original BSD CPU ROM (Version L-1). Can you provide a link?
Thanks.
Gord

No clue, my machine came with this rom. Did some research and I believe it to be a Soren rom.

#650 85 days ago

I asked him about this he pulled it but indicated it just didn't let the ball saver time out when the ball was in the pops. No other changes.

No link and I don't have it in my archive either. There's the Papa one that's t1.7 that fixes the tilt bug and can set mystery to fixed value. That might be on vpinuniverse.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Sale Pending! Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 11.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
There are 759 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!