• Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240108_210859 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
sound files CGC (resized).png
Terminator2_L8_3 - Description.pdf (PDF preview)
20220601_221755 (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 9.04.27 PM (1) (resized).jpeg
MBA_Message.pdf (PDF preview)
coding_400x267-1 (resized).jpg
P1020388 (resized).JPG
06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf (PDF preview)
154719499_10226515021761326_4843147460346241911_o (resized).jpg
drug message (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
20201231_105558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 970 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 20.
#551 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Are these roms supposed to be on ebay? ebay.com link: itm

That listing is from Matt's Basement Arcade, they are an authorized seller, so yes.

"You can get the authorized game updates at: Matt’s Basement Arcade, Classic Arcades, Action Pinball, Astill Amusements, dotsandloopspinball.com (Soren Worre), and Planetary Pinball."

#552 2 years ago
Quoted from chillme:

That listing is from Matt's Basement Arcade, they are an authorized seller, so yes.
"You can get the authorized game updates at: Matt’s Basement Arcade, Classic Arcades, Action Pinball, Astill Amusements, dotsandloopspinball.com (Soren Worre), and Planetary Pinball."

Ok, I ordered from Action because I didn't know the ebay seller was authorized.

#553 2 years ago

FWIW I’ve bought a bunch of ROMs from Matt. Good dude, responsive, reliable.

#554 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

This is not a "new modes" request but I'd happily pay for an updated ROM for the original MM that stops the sound card from resetting after each ball with that loud POP.
Lyman said they did this as a "precaution" for location play but that it wasn't needed so he would remove that bit of code.
Unfortunately WMS then got out of the pin biz and he lost the rights to update the code.
May not bother everybody but hearing that pop after almost every ball kinda spoils the experience.

Weird, I know exactly what you’re talking about without playing mine, but it never bothered me. Interesting to know the history of it.

4 weeks later
#555 2 years ago

Ok, I ordered from Action because I didn't know the ebay seller was authorized.

Sorry, I'm late to the party and have been kinda idle in the forums due to the little one. Yes, that ebay listing is mine, and I am an authorized seller. Thanks guys for vouching for me!
And thank you for questioning it.

And here's my 2 cents on ebay for people looking for roms:
TBH, I really hate selling on ebay lately for various reasons, left unsaid here, as I don't want to derail this thread. However, enough people still look for roms there before they look here as I will never be able to compete with ebay's SEO rankings.

Keep in mind buying on ebay puts money in ebays pocket, and now it's required that they charge you sales tax in most states now. Sites who sell their own stuff usually only have to collect for sales to their own state. Come to me direct via pinside message if you have questions [or the seller of your choice's site like you did ...we are not cut-throat], or buy on my pinside shop, I'd rather a cut go to Robin and support Pinside, or another authorized seller, than ebay whenever possible

If you're in Canada, Astill is a great guy and has helped me out in the past. Overseas/UK, check with Soren direct @ dotsandloops, some sellers don't ship international, and us that do still don't trust the USPS right now lol

If you've got a set in your hand, the authorized Soren roms will have blue license holograms, and the non-Soren roms are the gold holograms. The blue holograms is how you know Soren is getting taken care of. No holograms means PPS never heard of 'em and probably should .

#556 2 years ago

Astil is AWESOME!

I sent him Italian speaking ROM files for my Farfalla.

He burned them for me and they are perfect!

Very good service there.

4 weeks later
#557 2 years ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

Sorry, I'm late to the party and have been kinda idle in the forums due to the little one. Yes, that ebay listing is mine, and I am an authorized seller. Thanks guys for vouching for me!
And thank you for questioning it.
And here's my 2 cents on ebay for people looking for roms:
TBH, I really hate selling on ebay lately for various reasons, left unsaid here, as I don't want to derail this thread. However, enough people still look for roms there before they look here as I will never be able to compete with ebay's SEO rankings.
Keep in mind buying on ebay puts money in ebays pocket, and now it's required that they charge you sales tax in most states now. Sites who sell their own stuff usually only have to collect for sales to their own state. Come to me direct via pinside message if you have questions [or the seller of your choice's site like you did ...we are not cut-throat], or buy on my pinside shop, I'd rather a cut go to Robin and support Pinside, or another authorized seller, than ebay whenever possible
If you're in Canada, Astill is a great guy and has helped me out in the past. Overseas/UK, check with Soren direct @ dotsandloops, some sellers don't ship international, and us that do still don't trust the USPS right now lol
If you've got a set in your hand, the authorized Soren roms will have blue license holograms, and the non-Soren roms are the gold holograms. The blue holograms is how you know Soren is getting taken care of. No holograms means PPS never heard of 'em and probably should .

Thanks for all the work you do with this! I recently bought a Judge Dredd L1AT rom from you, and it came much quicker than I anticipated. It was really satisfying seeing how the ball locks were supposed to work originally.

#558 2 years ago

Would love some info from Soren about progress, what's coming and what not, this thread is dead right now

#559 2 years ago

Hopefully he is doing ok and maybe just focused on new code. Would be awesome to get a bug fix for Bad Cats (to fix if you start a game with GI in the back glass flashing) since you lose the skill shot. Maybe some rule updates too.

#560 2 years ago

For a number of reasons, it has been quite lately. I know. Sorry for that.

Things are being worked on and releases are planned. Thanks for the support.

#561 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

You rock!

#562 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

We wait, is for a good cause Hope TOTAN some day
Keep the good job.

#563 2 years ago

Proudly presents... New software updates for Mousin Around and Theatre Of Magic.

If interested, please buy from one of the official distributers listed in the first post of this thread.

Thanks.

--
Mousin' Around!
Revision 5.0

Summery

New feature adjustment adding runmodes to the target bank and center ramp.
Bug fixes.

Improvements

Limits the repeat shot play of the center ramp returning to same flipper.
Reward for controlling a streak of shots to same ramp without hitting other shots.

Release note

--
Theatre Of Magic
Revision 2.0
12 October 2021

Summery

A defect in the Trunk control that could cause it to stop working midgame is fixed.
Compensation for failing outlane ball saver.
Three new feature adjustments to aid fine tuning score balancing and mode difficulty.
Strategic Basement awards in competition play.
In competition play, the multiball is not started as compensation during ball search.
The revision 1.4H Tiger saw motor control is ported to this revision.
The display omits buy-in high scores when buy-in is disabled.

Improvements

Better mechanical device stability for location as well as competition usage.
Better applicability in competition usage in all levels.
Minor bug fixes.

Release note

#564 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Proudly presents... New software updates for Mousin Around and Theatre Of Magic.
If interested, please buy from one of the official distributers listed in the first post of this thread.
Thanks.
--
Mousin' Around!
Revision 5.0
Summery
New feature adjustment adding runmodes to the target bank and center ramp.
Bug fixes.
Improvements
Limits the repeat shot play of the center ramp returning to same flipper.
Reward for controlling a streak of shots to same ramp without hitting other shots.
Release note
--
Theatre Of Magic
Revision 2.0
12 October 2021
Summery
A defect in the Trunk control that could cause it to stop working midgame is fixed.
Three new feature adjustments to aid fine tuning score balancing and mode difficulty.
In competition play, the multiball is not started as compensation during ball search.
Improvements
Minor bug fixes.
Release note

Whoah! Awesome Soren. Many thanks for your hard work.

I will 100% buy the ToM ROM ( don't own Mousin).

#565 2 years ago

Still hoping for Funhouse and No fear !

#566 2 years ago

Nice to see something happening here, even if it is not yet my machine Thank you!

#567 2 years ago

Just ordered a MA set, thanks for making them official!

#568 2 years ago

We will have them on the store within an hour ...

planetarypinball.com

#569 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Theatre Of Magic
Revision 2.0
12 October 2021

Summery

Improvements

Minor bug fixes.

Release note

Soren, for those that have the Trunk board "mod" (believe it was called the Matt board or something) and the Tiger Saw already functioning...how will the 2.0 version impact these?

I guess in short, how will the 2.0 version impact a machine that has mods on it that previously fixed issues?

#570 2 years ago

First of all, the new version runs with the rev 1.3X security chip.

Tiger saw is same output. So fully compatible.

It runs with the Trunk board installed. But the limited functionality of the board takes precedence. Meaning the Trunk not registering while rotating.

#571 2 years ago

Any chance of a T2 updated ROM?

#572 2 years ago

One of the problems of a T2 fix is that the game is known for a bug that I cannot reproduce. And have never seen happen myself. That the cannon hits to start multiball takes an underflow to 255. I may hang on an earlier revision. So already fixed. I don't know. Any information is much appreciated.

#573 2 years ago

I've been planning on selling my Mousin' Around, but now I might just keep it a bit longer to try out the new ROMs! I've been meaning to update mine (Their pretty old), but I'm glad I held off until your updates were ready!

#574 2 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

We will have them on the store within an hour ...
planetarypinball.com

Im not seeing the version 2.0 theater of magic on the PPS site yet. Is there another place?

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/wpcroms.html

#576 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

First of all, the new version runs with the rev 1.3X security chip.
Tiger saw is same output. So fully compatible.
It runs with the Trunk board installed. But the limited functionality of the board takes precedence. Meaning the Trunk not registering while rotating.

Hi Soren,

Back in June of 2008 I purchased Tom Callahan's (pin-logic.com) Tiger Saw mod for my TOM and at the same time also had to purchase the following mod from 'Shifted Bits' in order for it all to work with TOM ROM version 1.4H.

Item Name:
Ewe 22 Security Chip

Item Options:
Game: Theatre of Magic (V1.4H Homerom)

Requirements for Tom Callahan's Tiger Saw mod to work are below.

1. EWE22 PIC CHIP from http://www.shiftedbit.com
2. EMI PCB

Tom Callahan's website at the time listed the following with regards to item # 2:

EMI PCB (SAMPLE PART #: TZ-A-15542)

I just purchased the new TOM ROM version 2.0 from Matt's Basement Arcade. Will this new version of the TOM 2.0 ROM function with the Shifted Bits Ewe 22 security chip? I am just curious as the Tom Callahan Tiger Saw mod has been working really well for 13+ years using the EMI PCB listed above and I was planning on installing the new TOM ROM version 2.0 when it arrives and am hoping that it is plug and play like the CFTBL ROM update was for me.

Both shiftedbit.com and Tom Callahan are no longer in the pinball mod business.

Thanks.

Gord

#580 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

One of the problems of a T2 fix is that the game is known for a bug that I cannot reproduce. And have never seen happen myself. That the cannon hits to start multiball takes an underflow to 255. I may hang on an earlier revision. So already fixed. I don't know. Any information is much appreciated.

I think that bad stuff can happen if you get restart when it's at zero.

#581 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Will this new version of the TOM 2.0 ROM function with the Shifted Bits Ewe 22 security chip? I am just curious as the Tom Callahan Tiger Saw mod has been working really well for 13+ years using the EMI PCB listed above and I was planning on installing the new TOM ROM version 2.0 when it arrives and am hoping that it is plug and play like the CFTBL ROM update was for me.

The rev. 2.0 runs with the original security chip. For those who have upgraded to 1.4H and who have since lost the original security chip, they will have to source a new one before the game will run with this new version.

I cannot speak for the specifics of a mod that someone has made back in the day. But the rev. 2.0 Tiger saw motor control is using the same outputs (connector/pin) as the Williams 1.4H version. Which leads me to believe that it should be compatilble with excisting upgrades.

#582 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

The rev. 2.0 runs with the original security chip. For those who have upgraded to 1.4H and who have since lost the original security chip, they will have to source a new one before the game will run with this new version.
I cannot speak for the specifics of a mod that someone has made back in the day. But the rev. 2.0 Tiger saw motor control is using the same outputs (connector/pin) as the Williams 1.4H version. Which leads me to believe that it should be compatilble with excisting upgrades.

Yeah, I don't have the original TOM security chip as I only have the replacement EWE22 PIC CHIP from Shifted Bits. So it sounds like you are saying that the new TOM ROM 2.0 will not work with my current replacement security chip?

Would it hurt anything to swap out my current 1.4H TOM ROM with the new 2.0 TOM ROM? If it doesn't work with the new 2.0 TOM ROM I could always just swap my original 1.4H TOM ROM back into the game. I am assuming that a ROM swap would not damage anything in my game, but if it is an unknown then I will not make the ROM swap as I sent my TOM off to Chris Hutchins of HEP for a full restoration in 2010 and the game has worked flawlessly ever since.

Originally I purchased my TOM from Treasure Cove back in 2008 and I had them install Tom Callahan's Tiger Saw mod into my game and I never received the original security chip as it was replaced with the EWE22 PIC CHIP from Shifted Bits which was required for the 1.4H ROM to work with the Tiger Saw mod.

Gord

#583 2 years ago

Can the anypic patch be used?

#584 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Original security chip might be hard to source for these older games.

will this one work? He says its original factory software from PPS:

ebay.com link: itm

#585 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Original security chip might be hard to source for these older games.
will this one work? He says its original factory software:
ebay.com link: itm

Thanks for the link. That looks like it should work. I will pick one up.

Gord

#586 2 years ago

thank you Soren !
looking forward to what's coming up

#587 2 years ago

Booting up a game with an incorrect or missing security chip will not do harm to anything. Not even clearing the RAM (factory default). The game just will not go into attract and neither start any game.

#588 2 years ago

Awesome to see new titles being completed! Patiently waiting for Judge Dredd to drop someday.

#589 2 years ago

Soren, thanks for your hard work! Indeed exciting to see official releases even though I don't have these games. Looking forward to STTNG! Are you basing these revisions off the non-ghosting versions of ROMs for games that have that issue?

#590 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Booting up a game with an incorrect or missing security chip will not do harm to anything. Not even clearing the RAM (factory default). The game just will not go into attract and neither start any game.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Gord

#591 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Soren, thanks for your hard work! Indeed exciting to see official releases even though I don't have these games. Looking forward to STTNG! Are you basing these revisions off the non-ghosting versions of ROMs for games that have that issue?

You could say I am. Williams was updating the (WPC system) lamp refresh procedure sometime in 1995. And that procedure no. 2 works better with LED lamps. Though you might find some types of LED that are so bad they look poor regardless. The new ROM releases for games that were using the old procedure will be have it upgraded to the new one. TOM was originally released with the new procedure. No upgrade necessary.

#592 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

You could say I am. Williams was updating the (WPC system) lamp refresh procedure sometime in 1995. And that procedure no. 2 works better with LED lamps. Though you might find some types of LED that are so bad they look poor regardless. The new ROM releases for games that were using the old procedure will be have it upgraded to the new one. TOM was originally released with the new procedure. No upgrade necessary.

I was curious because I have the "ghosting-free" ROM in my game that I bought aftermarket, but I have no idea exactly what that entails. Not sure if it's an updated factory ROM like you mentioned or something that was homebrewed. Just thought it would be worth mentioning. Thank you for the response!

#593 2 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

Awesome to see new titles being completed! Patiently waiting for Judge Dredd to drop someday.

I'm going to be happy with pretty much any WPC rom soren puts out

#594 2 years ago

I'm going to be happy with pretty much any WPC rom soren puts out

LOL yes hard not to with your line up

#595 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Hi Soren,

I was able to find the original installation instructions for the Tom Callahan (pin-logic.com) moving Tiger Saw mod tucked away in my pinball files. The installation instructions may help to answer some of the questions that you had regarding this mod.

I hope that posting these installation instructions is not violating any Pinside rules as this mod has not been available for several years now. If posting these installation instructions is against Pinside rules I will remove them.

Gord

06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf

#596 2 years ago

Thanks That verifies connector J125-3.

#597 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I was curious because I have the "ghosting-free" ROM in my game that I bought aftermarket, but I have no idea exactly what that entails. Not sure if it's an updated factory ROM like you mentioned or something that was homebrewed. Just thought it would be worth mentioning. Thank you for the response!

Possibly more detail than you want: https://emmytech.com/arcade/led_ghost_busting/

#598 2 years ago

I cannot speak for any modified ROM that may be installed out there. But I know that some of the "ghost free" versions circulating was done using a tool that does the same thing. Replacing the procedure in the earlier games with the one Williams started using in 1995. In other words. If you are using one of these ROMs, the lamp performance on ROMs from my hand should be the same.

And speaking for WPC games only on this.

#599 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

I cannot speak for any modified ROM that may be installed out there. But I know that some of the "ghost free" versions circulating was done using a tool that does the same thing. Replacing the procedure in the earlier games with the one Williams started using in 1995. In other words. If you are using one of these ROMs, the lamp performance on ROMs from my hand should be the same.

And speaking for WPC games only on this.

Thank you both for the clarification!

#600 2 years ago

Hi Soren,

Well today I received both the TOM 2.0 ROM updated by you and burned by Matt's Basement Arcade and also the TOM U22 security chip that I purchased off of Ebay from Classic Arcades. Everything works perfectly in the game and with the Tiger Saw mod.

I read through your release notes for the TOM 2.0 ROM version and verified that the functionality that you ported over from the 1.4H ROM version works like it should and also confirmed that the new enhanced Tiger Saw features work correctly.

I have attached a photo of the TOM 2.0 ROM and the TOM U22 security chip installed in my TOM. I also have included the following two URLs below which show my TOM booting up so you can see the serial number and game number from before the update with the 1.4H ROM and after the update with the 2.0 ROM.

Your porting of the Tiger Saw functionality from the 1.4H ROM to the 2.0 ROM worked perfectly during my testing via game play and also through testing on the diagnostic menus. Thanks for your help as this has been a learning experience for me, but it is always good to understand how things work.

Gord

P1020388 (resized).JPGP1020388 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 970 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades/page/12?hl=trolldownstairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.