• Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240108_210859 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
sound files CGC (resized).png
Terminator2_L8_3 - Description.pdf (PDF preview)
20220601_221755 (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 9.04.27 PM (1) (resized).jpeg
MBA_Message.pdf (PDF preview)
coding_400x267-1 (resized).jpg
P1020388 (resized).JPG
06 VERSION-INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR THE THEATER OF MAGIC T.pdf (PDF preview)
154719499_10226515021761326_4843147460346241911_o (resized).jpg
drug message (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
20201231_105558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 970 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 20.
#451 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Because you keep requesting a feature no one else wants. If we are going to get new features, let's ask for things that the community at large wants.

A feature that just happens to take advantage of a MOD you are coming out with...

Back to the request list- Thoughts for a setting to randomize TV awards on WCS?

#452 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Do you have your machine on 3 ball, with no buy-in?

Yes how else would you set a STTNG up?

#454 3 years ago

TAF doesn't have an autolaunch mech, only the plunger. It would not behave in line with other ball save games. I would say it needs to stay the way it is.

#455 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

TAF doesn't have an autolaunch mech, only the plunger. It would not behave in line with other ball save games. I would say it needs to stay the way it is.

CFTBL has ball save - "Stay cool, daddy-o" - and just a plunger ?

#456 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

It depends upon what you mean by "ball save". Do you mean "plunged the ball and it drained in the first few seconds, so give it back" or do you mean "just started multi-ball and some of the balls drained right away, so keep giving me more"?

If you mean the first one, then yes, you can have ball save without an autoplunger. If you mean the second one, then no, you need an autoplunger.

#457 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

It depends upon what you mean by "ball save". Do you mean "plunged the ball and it drained in the first few seconds, so give it back" or do you mean "just started multi-ball and some of the balls drained right away, so keep giving me more"?
If you mean the first one, then yes, you can have ball save without an autoplunger. If you mean the second one, then no, you need an autoplunger.

Road Show has some 2 ball multi-ball savers aka lose both balls and get one back.

Big Guns has INVINCIBLE mode and if you lose all balls you get one back.

#458 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I see the difference as you describe, but most WMS games of the 90's era with a ball save do auto-launch the ball back into play when saved. I am not a big fan of putting it back into the shooter lane and leaving it sit on a "save". That is what would have to happen for the TAF suggestion to be implemented. I don't think that is a good solution. I understand why some folks would want it, but the implementation available through software only doesn't work in my opinion.

#459 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

I see the difference as you describe, but most WMS games of the 90's era with a ball save do auto-launch the ball back into play when saved. I am not a big fan of putting it back into the shooter lane and leaving it sit on a "save". That is what would have to happen for the TAF suggestion to be implemented. I don't think that is a good solution. I understand why some folks would want it, but the implementation available through software only doesn't work in my opinion.

Well, assuming you don't mean the multi-ball save - then putting the ball into the shooter lane to be re-plunged manually is fine.

And virtually EVERY WMS game from the '90s (and at least '80s Bally) has this, including TAF - most people just don't realize it. If you score ZERO points on a ball, the ball is typically "saved" and returned to the plunger.

This is primarily done to avoid loosing a ball when the ball feeder mechanism has mis-fired. It's essentially impossible to do on a properly functioning TAF, but on some machines (especially SS machines) it is possible to keep re-plunging balls, scoring zero points each time.

In this case the "ball save" is based on "lack-of-points" rather than based on "lack-of-play-time", but the concept is the same.

#460 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

And virtually EVERY WMS game from the '90s (and at least '80s Bally) has this, including TAF - most people just don't realize it. If you score ZERO points on a ball, the ball is typically "saved" and returned to the plunger.

Indeed. I can demonstrate this on my Jokerz! and Scared Stiff right now. Both will allow you to plunge again until you score a point. On Scared Stiff, it's common to short plunge the ball to try and hit the spider hole as the first shot. If it makes it through the gate and drains without hitting any switches, you get another shot without using up your initial ball save. Jokerz! is a little harder, since you need to make the ramp without hitting the ramp switch, but it happens on occasion.

#461 3 years ago

Would you agree that scoring zero is the outlier scenario vs hitting some switch and scoring something?

#462 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Would you agree that scoring zero is the outlier scenario vs hitting some switch and scoring something?

Of course, but that's not the point. The point is that a ball save is still functional/viable even without an auto-launcher. And actually exists on most games already in this form.

The fact that it is used infrequently does not change the fact that it works.

And if a "no points scored" ball save can work, so can a "short time played" ball save.

#463 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

It doesn't need an autolaunch mech. TAF already has a ball save. If you do not score any points the ball is returned. Would be nice to be able to set that to a period of time instead of a score (or to a minimum score award).

I don't want it for myself personally but I'm trying to rope in casual gamers, many of which have never played pinball. I don't want them kicked in the teeth by TaF and get discouraged.

#464 3 years ago

Pat Lawlor *hates* ball savers. hence his games don't have them. adding one would go against the designer's wishes, if that matters to anyone... and besides, it's pretty hard to loose a ball very quickly in addams. light plunge gives it to the right flipper through the swamp. heavy plunge goes all the way around (and if you loose it that way, that's *your* fault, not bad luck.)

#465 3 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Pat Lawlor *hates* ball savers. hence his games don't have them. adding one would go against the designer's wishes, if that matters to anyone... and besides, it's pretty hard to loose a ball very quickly in addams. light plunge gives it to the right flipper through the swamp. heavy plunge goes all the way around (and if you loose it that way, that's *your* fault, not bad luck.)

I'll reiterate

I don't want it for myself personally but I'm trying to rope in casual gamers, many of which have never played pinball. I don't want them kicked in the teeth by TaF and get discouraged.

My TZ has ball save, that's a lawlor machine no?

#466 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I'll reiterate

Dialedin as well.

#467 3 years ago

Everytime I see new posts on here in hoping its Soren announcing new releases.
Guess we'll just have to keep waiting

#468 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I'll reiterate

Try a factory reset your tz and see if there is still a ball save. Pretty sure it wasn't turned on by default, but I am not 100 percent and no longer have the game.

#469 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Try a factory reset your tz and see if there is still a ball save. Pretty sure it wasn't turned on by default, but I am not 100 percent and no longer have the game.

But I have th option to turn it back on. Older ROMs only had ball save on the first ball. The last rom had the option for all three balls.

#470 3 years ago

Is there a promulgated list of finished code updates on this thread?, or elsewhere?

#471 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Is there a promulgated list of finished code updates on this thread?, or elsewhere?

Post #2 (key post) has the current release of ROMs (which were the initial ones) - as to whether this post will be updated as new releases come out is unclear

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades#post-5967032

#472 3 years ago

I do not think Pat Lawlor hated ball saver as such. But I like to believe there was a clan in Williams developement, who disregarded ball saver (early on) because they believed their customers did not want it. Maybe one short sighted halfwit operator told them to forget about that stuff prolonging the game time and deducting his cashbox. Other designers might have seen it as a design element in the toolbox to make insteresting games. Maybe a way to make a design work. A design brilliant in one way, but too drainy to start with (F14, T2,...). And ultimately the concept won.

The short game time argument I always find cute. I say value for money wins in the long run.

I also find the "too confusing" argument just as cute. You are giving the player the ball back after all.

#473 3 years ago

Sometime the timed ball save feature can also become an exploit... People would voluntary drain on Getaway to get another shot at trying the loop, which is not the spirit!

#474 3 years ago
Quoted from matiou:

Sometime the timed ball save feature can also become an exploit... People would voluntary drain on Getaway to get another shot at trying the loop, which is not the spirit!

I "exploit" it all of the time to get through the gears.

However, I am curious why it wasn't originally programmed like other pins where once it is used during a ball then it is disabled for the remainder of that ball.

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from soren:

I also find the "too confusing" argument just as cute. You are giving the player the ball back after all.

I know that sometimes new players at my place in multiplayer games start playing each others balls when a ballsave has occured without an autoshooter. Maybe that's where the 'confusion' comes from.

To get back on topic for the updates, I'll repeat my (maybe annoying) request: I'd buy a new BSD and DrWho rom purely for videomodes where the order is randomized (not the speed, just in which order in which the wolves appear or in DrWho which obstacles, long or short, appear).
That said, I also think you should do what you think is important. You can never please all of us. Just trying to convince you though

#476 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

I know that sometimes new players at my place in multiplayer games start playing each others balls when a ballsave has occured without an autoshooter. Maybe that's where the 'confusion' comes from.
To get back on topic for the updates, I'll repeat my (maybe annoying) request: I'd buy a new BSD and DrWho rom purely for videomodes where the order is randomized (not the speed, just in which order in which the wolves appear or in DrWho which obstacles, long or short, appear).
That said, I also think you should do what you think is important. You can never please all of us. Just trying to convince you though

Doesn't Doctor Who already have a random setting for video mode?

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

I am not arguing that ball saver comes as a surprise to newbies. And they wall off the game prematurely in multiplayer games. I have witnessed this myself numerous times. But, ball saver is a quality to a game. And these people are early on the learning curve. And there is so much games could do to assist this.

#478 3 years ago
Quoted from soren:

I am not arguing that ball saver comes as a surprise to newbies. And they wall off the game prematurely in multiplayer games. I have witnessed this myself numerous times. But, ball saver is a quality to a game. And these people are early on the learning curve. And there is so much games could do to assist this.

I know you probably have a list of games to do but, out of curiosity, how difficult is it to modify TaF’s ball save since it already exists relative to some of the other recoding you are doing)

#479 3 years ago

The "ball saver" you reference to is a lower level stage in the state machine of the pinball machine logic.

New ball (/new player) -> shooter lane -> ball in play -> drain.

With draining during shooter lane state reserving ball and staying in shooter lane state.

On Williams games (traditionally): Shooter lane state, the score is blinking. Ball in play state, the score is slowly rolling.

In order to determain the advancement to ball in play, the game logic needs to see the ball in action on the playfield. This is traditionally a switch hit out of trough/shooter lane. And was later in the 90's on Williams change to three different switches (same for Stern/JJP now a days). But is highly individual per game. On some games some switches are still a one hit one. On some games a ball saver can trigger the advancement. It is just a mess.

All this to make sure that a player is not drained prematurely. Because if this happens, the player will walk away never playing the game again. Possibly vandalising the game or, even worse, complaining to the staff demanding a refund.

With the introduction of ball saver (circa T2), the path is...

New ball (/new player) -> shooter lane -> ball in play -> ball saver -> drain.

With draining during ball saver state reserving the ball and, where available, auto plunging it. And staying in ball saver state with the timer not reset.

So, after this long explaination. A ball saver is a new feature to make on game lacking it. It is timed, ball in play logic is not. And, should be backed up by lights (shoot again), DMD, sound effects and speech. With DMD being hard (for something that looks half decent) and sound not possible.

#480 3 years ago

I am a bit confused about the development of this thread, honestly speaking. After the initial announcement by soren there were a small number of SW released and since then the only thing I see here is a bunch of users going on about "I want this" and "I want that" with the OP getting in here and there, but somehow without clarity on whther or not it will be done or not. This thread would benefit a lot from one of three things:

1. Put up a list of planned ROMS and a list of planned changes. Then people can go on about what they like and what not, but the scope is set and that is it.
Or 2. Put up a ROM list and let people decide on features based on whatever transparent system is available to do so.
Or 3. Not fuel the - in this case pointless - debate and just release whatever is ready, whenever it is ready.

This half-announcement half-joint-feature-debate-decision-frankenstein on the open forum really only brings frustration for no good reason.

My bottom line is: Whenever the ROM for Getaway is ready, I will buy it. And although I am really deep into this machine I will not cry about what Soeren does or doesn't do, or any decisions he makes, unless specifically asked about it in private. I am deeply grateful to maybe get an official improvement for one of the best pinball games on the planet.

#481 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Doesn't Doctor Who already have a random setting for video mode?

I think even on the hard setting it is not random

#482 3 years ago
Quoted from harig:

I think even on the hard setting it is not random

Indeed, as far as I know, there's no random-setting

#483 3 years ago

I understand the requests for updates to more games. Please be patient. More stuff is under developement. And more stuff will be released.

I guess you can imagine the difficulty sources games for testing these times.

#484 3 years ago

Thanks for all your hard work on this. Is there a consolidated list of the games being worked on and considered? Maybe at the bottom of the list some possible future titles?

Do you have access to the Bad Cats source code? If so do you think that may eventually make the list? I don’t know if it has been mentioned but I believe I found a bug in the most recent code for that game.

If your current game ends and you want to start another immediately after and press start while the back glass lights are flashing it will start a game but there is no skill shot lit. You lose that initial shot and just light whatever the ball hits without the possibility of a 2x bonus. Rest of the game plays normally. If I wait that doesn’t seem to happen.

It would also be nice to take one of the unused settings and use it for adjusting the back glass strobing after a game ends. The current setting could be the default but allow it to be reduced or set to zero.

I’m sure others may have other requests for Bad Cats that could help out this fun quirky game.

#485 3 years ago

So, one bug that I found was when Scared Stiff starts with a functional spider and it errors out during play. It simply exits the spider and spits the ball back out. It would be nice to either restart the spider with the lights only(preferred), or relight the spider hole when spitting out the ball. It sucks to have it hang, then rob you of a spin. Especially on a close game, where starting a multiball or the stiff o meter might mean the difference between winning or losing.
This is the sort of coding that I would love to play with.
EDIT:
Oh, I have also seen this on a few machines. If you qualify for the stiff-o-meter during a crate multiball that has the extension and then drain a ball, it will often times kick into the beginning mode of the stiff-o-meter instead of continuing the multiball. Not sure if it happens 100% of the time or just occasionally, but I have seen it several times on different machines.

#486 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

Indeed, as far as I know, there's no random-setting

Strange, I found mention of a random video mode on an old Doctor Who ruleset, but I have found a number of errors on these before so maybe it's inaccurate. I always figured I'd set the video mode to random if I ever picked up a DW so if that's not actually an option it would definitely make for a great addition to the code.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I found mention of a random video mode on an old Doctor Who ruleset

#doctor-who might choose a random wave on some difficulty settings and keep the pattern the same for a given wave.

#488 3 years ago

Would be nice to look at the software for Terminator 2, would like to use it in a competitive setting one of these years.

PAPA Notes:
Terminator 2 software contains bugs that can potentially be devastating to a competitive game. Known bugs include: 255 drop target hits to multiball, and a multiball bug that may occur when a ball is locked with zero seconds left on the timer causing a string of odd behavior from the game.

#489 3 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Would be nice to look at the software for Terminator 2, would like to use it in a competitive setting one of these years.
PAPA Notes:
Terminator 2 software contains bugs that can potentially be devastating to a competitive game. Known bugs include: 255 drop target hits to multiball, and a multiball bug that may occur when a ball is locked with zero seconds left on the timer causing a string of odd behavior from the game.

Agreed. I have looked into T2. The 255 hits problem is not found yet. The other one is. Though there might be additional issues to deal with.

I have a sneaking suspicion, that the 255 hits one is on older software revs only. Any confirmation on software revisions and, even better, ways to trigger this is MUCH welcome.

#490 3 years ago

I know that there was some weird scoring issues with it at some point too I have one at the arcade now so will be able to take a closer look for sure.

Quoted from soren:

Agreed. I have looked into T2. The 255 hits problem is not found yet. The other one is. Though there might be additional issues to deal with.
I have a sneaking suspicion, that the 255 hits one is on older software revs only. Any confirmation on software revisions and, even better, ways to trigger this is MUCH welcome.

#491 3 years ago

I’d like to get the operator to buy one of these ROMs for a Creature in my league. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to order? There are a bunch of options.

Also, I’d like to get one for my own Demolition Man. Can someone help me out with that as well? I have the profanity ROMs and would want to keep that option. Unless there isn’t an option to have profanity and the claw change portion.

Thanks!

#492 3 years ago

You might be in luck, if the profanity sound ROMS replaced the original callout sound data, they should play with a newer revision. If the profanity callouts are additional data in the sound ROM and not replacement, you'd have to edit the new ROM to call the profanity sound effects. I remember the potty-mouth version would say both "be well" and "be f*cked" so it may be the letter setup...

#493 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You might be in luck, if the profanity sound ROMS replaced the original callout sound data, they should play with a newer revision. If the profanity callouts are additional data in the sound ROM and not replacement, you'd have to edit the new ROM to call the profanity sound effects. I remember the potty-mouth version would say both "be well" and "be f*cked" so it may be the letter setup...

the home rom add an vulgar speech settings and when you tilt warnings say fuck you in sound and on the DMD

#494 3 years ago

I think that's T2? DM had more profanity added than that.

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I think that's T2? DM had more profanity added than that.

that is just one thing there is an lot more
Full tilt they say puck ass mouthfucker

#496 3 years ago
Quoted from soren: With the introduction of ball saver (circa T2),

If geekmem serves me right -- Flight Insurance in F-14 was first. Of course, most likely not yet part of a general low-level ruleset for all machines building on the same OS.

/Enver

#497 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I "exploit" it all of the time to get through the gears.
However, I am curious why it wasn't originally programmed like other pins where once it is used during a ball then it is disabled for the remainder of that ball.

Quoted from matiou:

RBION's correctly adjusted shooter lane gives you a Jackpot when draining and letting the machine 'ball save'. Nothing wrong with a good grasp of a game's rules.

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from Enver:

RBION's correctly adjusted shooter lane gives you a Jackpot when draining and letting the machine 'ball save'. Nothing wrong with a good grasp of a game's rules.

Sorry, I’m confused why your quoted two Getaway posts. What is the correlation you are making?

#499 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sorry, I’m confused why your quoted two Getaway posts. What is the correlation you are making?

I think he's agreeing with you and saying that knowing a game's rules and using them to your advantage isn't necessarily an "exploit"

To correctly pull off multiple loops on Getaway during the timed ball saver takes skill. You need to be able to to drop stop the ball with the left flipper multiple times in succession. And you also need to know that having two balls locked makes it less effective as the trough has to cycle the ball through instead of serving the next one up right away. And you always run the risk when trying to pull off one more loop that the saver will end and you'll lose the ball.

I'd be okay with having an option to make one ball save then it turns off. But completely taking away the timed ball save would get rid of a part of the game I enjoy.

#500 3 years ago
Quoted from Enver:

If geekmem serves me right -- Flight Insurance in F-14 was first. Of course, most likely not yet part of a general low-level ruleset for all machines building on the same OS.
/Enver

it was linked to EB's and EB off = Game says ball saved when it is not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NH
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 36.95
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 84.99
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 970 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades/page/10?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.