tron1 (resized).jpg
tron2 (resized).jpg
IMG_4921 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4920 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4060 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6148 (resized).png
IMG_9848 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3022 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8605 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Also, I bought a Tron pro and the light cycles seem very faint. They are wired to the GI? Is this incorrect? I heard they should be wired to 5v source? Where and how would I do that? Any help would be great. Thank you!!!

Mine are wired to the 5v in the head (photo attached). I installed the recently, so I happen to have a photo. I purchased mine from Hooked (who provide a nice harness/extender).

snaroff

IMG_0978 (resized).jpegIMG_0978 (resized).jpeg
#8631 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Okay, but it also is clicking when the dmd score changes between balls? Seems odd?

It is odd, but without looking at how all the mods were installed, it's impossible to help. This is one of the big issues I have with heavily modded games...if the person installing the mod doesn't know what they are doing, who knows what could be going on. I recently picked up a TRON LE and the ColorDMD was installed improperly...was almost 1" pushed back from the speaker panel (which resulted in pretty lousy images). The previous owner thought I was being "anal" when I pointed it out (since the game didn't have the proper/original spacers to fix the issue), which I thought was odd. If you spend $400 on a better display, don't you want the display to perform up to spec?

snaroff

1 week later
#8683 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Anyone know what to do to reduce power on the eject coil for the shooter lane?
Mine fires the ball like a rocket, thank goodness there’s a metal bracket there, I get a super “crack” every time the ball goes to the shooter

Don't believe so...just look through my menus. Only a high level setting for "Coil pulse power", which would effect all coils.

2 weeks later
#8771 5 years ago

Just installed a new, freshly oiled disk motor. Original worked fine, but was starting to make noise. Also finally upgraded from black to translucent disk rubber...the ball movement is scary! TRON LE is a masterpiece.

IMG_1209 (resized).jpegIMG_1209 (resized).jpeg
#8783 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

How noisy is the new motor when it’s running full speed? I’m considering doing a test and swapping out a shaker motor for it and see if mines any better. Already tried oiling it to only a small reduction in noise.

My new motor is very quiet. The original motor only had 1000 plays on it and wasn't too bad...kept it as a backup.

#8784 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

How noisy is the new motor when it’s running full speed? I’m considering doing a test and swapping out a shaker motor for it and see if mines any better. Already tried oiling it to only a small reduction in noise.

Another note...I originally purchased the new motor at PinballLife. It was unfortunately wildly noisy out of the box. Sent it back and purchased one from Marco. The Marco motor wiring was identical to the original motor. The Pinball life motor slightly different wiring. The Marco motor was quiet out of the box. Have no idea why a brand new motor would be noisy...

3 months later
#8939 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Thanks guys. As expected it wasn't working but I fixed it. I also installed the clear disc rubber finally from Europe.... Wow. Big difference and so far not too top crazy but crazy enough.

I installed the clear disc rubber on both my TRON's and lubricated the motors (now whisper quiet.

It looks awesome and the ball movement/spin is 5-10x more dramatic. I've had balls go through GEM, Quorra...it's just sick.

Highly recommend....

#8946 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I wish there was a halfway house between the clear and black. I don't want to trash my Tron LE with supersonic balls or even just wear the playfield down with insane spin, but I would like to do away with the black crap around the orbits...
[quoted image]

My games haven't suffered any ill effects of the "supersonic balls" Getting rid of the black marks is a huge benefit. Don't resist! You will love it.

#8960 4 years ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

Where would the lube points be on the disc motor. Might try that as well clean the disc with IPA.

I just used a few drops on the top/bottom center shaft (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GHY8T6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00). Totally eliminated any noise...

1 week later
#8995 4 years ago
Quoted from hwol:

Hi,
I would like to post this question also in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-replacing-disc-motor-with-a-higher-quality-one#post-4984426
Has anybody of you a good hint where to buy a better quality tron disc motor, which produces less noise?

There is nothing wrong with the quality of the motor.

A few drops of this oil will totally eliminate the noise. I own 2 TRON's and it worked beautifully on both.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GHY8T6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb169.pdf

#8998 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I found that was useless. You’d get a small window of it being a little better then just reverts to original volume.
I ended up switching the motor with a lesser utilised shaker. It’s much less but not perfectly quiet as I would have hoped.
I also got a couple of comparable Johnson motors I still need to give a try.
Based of what I’d noticed with my original motors my guess is that the bearings in the stock ones are not really rated for the constant speed this motor is used at in Tron.
Normally end users oiling bearing is the last thing you should be doing. Rather you should be replacing them with more suitable versions (high speed, sealed against carbon etc).

Hmm. I actually bought a brand new motor from a reputable pinball dealer and it made noise out-of-the-box. They told me to oil it as well. Your assertion that "Normally end users oiling bearing is the last thing you should be doing." doesn't strike a chord with me. Oiling the motor has worked like a charm for me and my games get lots of exercise.

#9001 4 years ago
Quoted from hwol:

Unfortunately in my case oiling helped only for a short period and other pinball friends had more or less the same experience. The only valid solution in their opinion is to substitute the motor with a higher quality one.

Bummer. Did you & your friends find/install a higher quality motor?

#9008 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The motor uses bushings that wear and you get slop.. and hence the noise. No amount of oil can undo that slop.

I'm not an expert on the motor construction. I gladly defer to you on the theory.

I can speak from experience. Both my TRON motors are working great after thousands of plays. I've only oiled them once and it fixed the loud noise 100%. Maybe folks are oiling them incorrectly OR using the wrong oil. Who knows. As a fairly frequent poster on "Stern quality" issues, I can say that TRON motors aren't on my list of low quality mechs.

#9009 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I just ordered a replacement from Pinball Life. Hopefully that cuts down the noise.

I did this and had noise "out of the box" (they gladly took it back...great company to deal with). A PL employee told me to oil it, which I didn't feel good about since it was "new". So I oiled my original/stock motor and everything was quiet and back to normal.

#9011 4 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Trust Snaroff, He's a true friend to Pinsiders. Maybe we can find out exactly where the oil is being applied so that everyone is on the same page for results!

Thx Joe I actually removed the motor and oiled BOTH ends of the spinning post. 3 drops on top...3 drops on bottom (with ample time to let settle). If you try to oil the motor without removing it, it's much more error prone (and impossible to oil both ends).

I still have a new/spare motor, but it works no better than the oiled original/stock motors.

#9015 4 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Anyone have an extra clear disc rubber they want to sell? Pm me.

I recently installed 2 sets from pinball-mods.com. John recently received more stock. Makes a huge difference.

http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-stern-tron-tron-le-spinning-disk-pad-set-p-51.html?osCsid=1dbf7d1ed1cb9498ed42c9b24278e5d1

#9030 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I definitely need to figure out if a Tron Pro will do or if a Tron LE is the way to go.

Here's the complete list of LE goodies:

1 - Daft Punk Multiball
2 - Silver around PF inserts
3 - Drop targets instead of standups
4 - Moving Recognizer
5 - Color changing lighted ramps
6 - LED insert PCBs
7 - Alternating color flashers under the spinner
8 - Individually controlled recognizer inserts in front of the 3 target
9 - Chrome trim
10 - Metal apron with clear blue windows w/ flashers
11 - Metal PF rails
12 - Traditional lockdown bar and receiver
13 - LE numbered plaque on back box and signed certificate of authenticity
14 - Hologram sticker on translite

Still the most played game in my collection. Had a 19 year old over yesterday...first time he's ever played a "real" pinball machines (he has played phone app simulations). He played for about 2-3 hours and TRON was his favorite. Always curious to see what newbie's gravitate toward. TRON is only of those rare games that appeal to both new & experienced players.

#9035 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Tron rocks, I have a heavily modded pro that’s probably as close to an LE as I can get with a pro but so wish had an LE. I saw an LE in California Disneyland and it’s was so dirty and neglected. Made me sad, thing is no one was playing it, the owner would have been better off selling it for low end LE money and buying a new game or two used pins.
I think Tron was the best Stern LE ever made, but I got back in the hobby like 1-2 years too late.

I bought my LE late last year...had it shipped from NJ->Florida. Right after I purchased it, a pinball buddy 30 miles away offered me his for considerably less...sigh. Then, more started coming up for sale on Pinside. No doubt if I were looking today, it would likely be tough to find one! Some titles seem to come/go in waves. Sometimes I think the TRON VE chatter influences sellers to let their baby go...who knows.

1 month later
#9090 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Thank you for the input. I haven't done anything like that before. Someone else obviously did. Just a bit baffled why they would do it with El wiring instead of the significantly better and interactive, light changing ramp mods.

I have EL wiring that I did myself, before the fancier option was available. I also have an LE. While I prefer the LE, I can't say it's that big a deal. My Pro has blue & orange static EL wiring and it works just fine.

#9095 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

That is what this one has as well. Is the brightness adjustable on your El wires? It looked a bit dim on tge one I looked at but the owner didnt know if there was any wayvto adjust the brightness setting.

As far as I know, the brightness isn't adjustable. IIRC, the wires dim over time (based on usage). Mine are still very bright.

1 week later
#9126 4 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Cracking game tonight, almost 100 million better than my previous high score! Portal played and one Gem shot away from getting everything flashing a second time (I don't know whether you get a second SoS or not).[quoted image]

Nice score! I’m curious, did you get to Portal directly and collect the 50M bonus for not needing SOS? My son did it the other day and it was pretty cool.

Also, what do you think of Portal MB? We are having a hard time understanding the objectives for Portal MB (and I can’t seem to find a useful rule sheet).

2 weeks later
#9197 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Can anyone make me up the resistors that will reduce the power of the motor? A potentiometer setup would be awesome if that's even possible. It's beyond my skills electrically and I don't want to risk running the clear disc without it, at least initially.
Happy to pay obviously.

I moved over to the clear disc without adding a resistor and it’s been a blast with 0 damage. The ball movement is insane...really beyond any mech in any game I’ve ever played. It’s really cool when the spin causes it to nail GEM! No joke. Not trying to convince you, just giving you my experience...

#9209 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

The major downside of the black disc isn't so much the power of it, it's the crud it leaves all over the playfield and balls, which gets deposited around the loop at the back and is difficult to get to without removing the ramps.

So true (and my main motivation for wanting the clear disk). I was totally blind-sided by the ball movement/speed with the clear disk. I've decided to purchase an extra assembly (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/511-6925-00) which makes it easy to swap disks. Price is absurd, but what the heck...

#9211 4 years ago

Any idea who manufactured these end-of-ramp plastics?

IMG_2387 (resized).jpegIMG_2387 (resized).jpeg
#9214 4 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Does that Marco product comes without any coating on the top so you can basically select what you want for the top (clear, blue, standard black, etc)?

Don’t believe so. Most likely comes with the standard black (as specified in the Stern manual).

#9225 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Thanks. Anything else needed with it to get it connected? Never used a sub before, thinking it’s time with Tron and maybe pick up a second for BSD.

Last week, I hooked up a sub for the first time after purchasing a TRON with the pinnovator sub-connector installed.

I happen to have a pretty crazy NHT-10 sub (ebay.com link: NHT 10 Powered Subwoofer 300W) in storage...can't believe I never made use of it!

#9231 4 years ago

fyi...looking for experience/feedback, so I created a separate topic. thx.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-experience-adding-lego-lightcycles-to-tron

#9240 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Thoughts? I saved the original chrome parts[quoted image][quoted image]

Not awful, but I prefer the contrast of the chrome. Too much blue for my taste.

#9246 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Here are some photos of my Tron. I’ll need to order a topper at some point this year. Are there any suggestions for this? I’m unlikely to make a topper. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! Beautiful example. Matching coin door looks awesome!

One really minor thing I noticed (since I'm adding them to my chrome apron). Your apron decal is from the Pro apron.

Terry @ Pinballlife managed to get me the LE decals from Stern for a sensible price. Marco also has them in stock.

Image 8-16-19 at 2.33 PM (resized).jpegImage 8-16-19 at 2.33 PM (resized).jpeg
#9251 4 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

Maybe a friend of mine can make a reproduction of these two plastics.
Can you send me a scan to [email protected] .

That would be great. Will do this later today...

#9252 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

That would be great. Will do this later today...

Just sent images of these plastics to the email provided.

If you remake these, I recommend tweaking the design so the yellow isn't so fragile. Removing the cut out closest to where the ball hits would be the simplest solution. The 1/4" gaps are where mine cracked (after the ball rebounds from the end-of-ramp kickback).

Keep us posted on any progress! I'm sure the TRON community would be thankful.

IMG_2436 (resized).jpegIMG_2436 (resized).jpegIMG_2437 (resized).jpegIMG_2437 (resized).jpeg
#9254 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Offer them in clear to please? I'm not a huge fan of all the different colors but do thing that would still look pretty cool in clear.

The other benefit of your suggestion is the yellow/blue make it difficult to see the "C" & "U" lanes (which negatively effects gameplay).

#9262 4 years ago

Thanks to PinballLife/Stern for getting me the LE stickers for this badass chrome apron!

IMG_2438 (resized).jpegIMG_2438 (resized).jpegIMG_2493 (resized).jpegIMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#9268 4 years ago

The new wide-angle camera on the iPhone 11 rocks for filming pinball.

TRON rocks.

1 month later
#9303 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Anybody every have their Hallmark light cycle go out completely? I verified 5V power is getting to it, and I soldered the wires inside to bypass the pushbutton and they are still soldered together. I took the light cycle out of the game and don't see any issues yet... Next step would be to completely split apart and disassemble the bike to look for any other issues but it might just be dead.

Yes...the LED in these cycles don't last forever unfortunately. I purchased a new one on Amazon for $25 back in August. Looks like it's still available, however the price is now $35 (for the 2011 yellow/orange). The 2010 blue Lightcycle is no longer available.

Disassembling the cycle and fiddling with it didn't seem worth it.

#9304 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I feel dumb and can’t find info... is Tron a mono or stereo game? From memory of it’s wiring, thinking it’s mono.
I’m on the quest of getting the best sound out of it as possible. I currently have a flipper fidelity kit installed and a Polk10” sub under the cab... and I’m underwhelmed. I know it can be much better. Not really looking for the pinwoofer solution at this moment either. I’m thinking more Danesi Designs

I believe all SAM games are mono (which includes TRON).

I just installed PinWoofer kits in my KISS and AC/DC and was blown away by the results. The PW amps are awesome. I installed them while reusing my upgraded backbox speakers on my AC/DC. I plan on integrating these amps with my existing Flipper Fidelity speakers on Metallica and TRON later this week.

I'm curious...did you install a PinWoofer Kit? If so, what didn't you like? If not, I highly recommend the product. I've fiddled with various audio upgrades and think it's best-of-breed (and sensibly priced when compared to other mods).

#9312 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

What could cause the right Flipper on my Tron to stop working? Is there a fuse in that area or would it be something else?

Most likely a fuse or disconnected wire on the flipper solenoid. Just happened on my LOTR and it was simply a fuse.

2 months later
#9366 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Wish I’d bought Tron ages ago. Anybody selling the Arcade mod?

I actually listed this today (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-mini-arcade-mod-2#post-5455987).

2 months later
#9471 3 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

That’s an impressive little model - I like it.
However, my feeble brain cannot cope with the lack of an arcade machine (mod or otherwise) in that spot. It just doesn’t compute, sorry. Are there any other possible places it could go?

I agree. If it were my game, I'd install the FLYNN arcade model where the popular FLYNN sign typically goes (and I'd add a TRON arcade above the scoop...where it belongs

Image 2-5-20 at 9.47 PM (resized).jpegImage 2-5-20 at 9.47 PM (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#9503 3 years ago

Man, just missed getting to "Portal" because I didn't light "TRON"...don't think that's ever happened to me...usually lights without focusing on it.

2 months later
#9655 3 years ago
Quoted from ZfromEarth:

Sound Mod
[quoted image]

Not PinWoofer?

3 months later
#9800 3 years ago

deleted...wrong thread

3 weeks later
1 week later
#9862 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Welcome! Tron is a fantastic pin. I'm so close to reaching Portal, which is a fun place to be - close but not quite at the end. I keep getting all but one mode completed. The "second chance" to complete each mode during Sea of Simulation is clever. It's a good change-of-pace pin that is fast and can be punishing, but isn't unfair. Plus, for fans of the films, I feel Stern did a fantastic job capturing the look and feel of Tron, even if the playfield artwork itself isn't the best ever. I love the Tron universe art blades by Retro Refurbs also, they add so much depth to the game. Mirrors look good on this one too! I traded an almost new MET for my Tron 2 years ago and have been thrilled with the trade, and I loved MET.
Good luck adding your Tron safely! Enjoy it!

Another amazing milestone is reaching Portal without needing SOS...I think it's a 50M bonus for doing that. I think I've accomplished this once.

Hey, don't know how your disk is configured, but the translucent rubber mod adds a lot of cool ball action (and also looks better and keeps the PF free of black marks). Here is a link to an old post of mine on this topic:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/176#post-4796628

#9865 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks, I will try to complete all the modes without starting SOS. I also have the clear rubber disk on my Tron. The ball comes out of there so fast I always keep my flippers up whenever I shoot into the disk. So often the ball is ejected so fast I can’t react to it, but my flippers save me. I need to add a backup clear disk. I’m not sure how long they last.

Cool that you have the clear rubber disk. Some folks warn that it can damage plastics/etc., but I've had it for a long time without damage. I'm sure it will last a long time, but having a backup makes sense. With my disk, the ball can have so much spin on it that it makes Gem/Quorra from the spinner!

1 week later
#9886 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Hey Tron folks! Happy new year. So I’m in the market for a Tron and I am looking at 2 different pro’s. Both have the “ramp light mod.”
From what I have found these ramp mods vary.... there was Eli’s ramp mod from pinbits, the total Light show version, then I have seen just basic el wire on the ramps?
Next question is seems like the going rate for a decently loaded tron with low play is around 7k?

Yes and yes. I own a wildly modded Pro with the Eli's ramp mod and an LE. I use to own this one with static EL ramp lights and liked them just fine (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-tron-legacy-immaculate-pro#post-5164839).

1 month later
#10066 3 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I hope this doesn't come across rude, but the el wire just won't compare to any of the proper fibre kits.
Spend the extra money and do it right.
El wire is often too thin, too dim, and just makes the game look worse.
Again, my opinion, but if you don't do it right, maybe don't do it at all.

Not rude, but bad advice nonetheless.

I sold the following TRON with orange/blue el wire and it wasn't "thin or too dim". Looked great.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-tron-legacy-immaculate-pro#post-5164839

I added the el wire many years ago, so I can't help TrueJedi with the specifics. Just don't be discouraged if you want to pursue the static el option.

#10069 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Just for the record, it's relatively straightforward (and cheap) to add "non game controlled" fiber optics. The fiber optics system is essentially an RGB led emitter connected to fiber optics cables. In my Tron that's what I have, and it cycles colors.
There are two downsides though:
- Not game controlled, unlike Eli's mod
- The brightness tends to dim at the exit of the ramp (the light emitters are connected on both sides of the fiber optic - so two per ramp, so the exit of the ramp is the farthest point from the emitter). Probably can be improved with the right choice of LED emitter and fiber

I fully aware...I own 2 TRON's currently. One with Eli's mod and the Stern fiber optics on my LE.

Nevertheless, the static LED's on the game I sold in the post above worked great.

1 month later
#10108 3 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

So question for you Tron lovers... My playfield is perfectly level all over including the cabinet. I am getting a pretty hard left lean just in my shooter lane area. I am thinking my playfield is warped, but unsure.
Check out this video below of how hard left leaning it is:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q3UnQAUAHd6qpEZQ6
Anyone else have this issue?
--Scott

Hey Scott,

I had a similar issue with a heavily modded TRON Pro. I discovered the following brackets were missing from the cabinet…they effectively center/hold the PF in place. I believe the previous owner removed them while installing mirror blades (and never reinstalled them).

Considering the video you posted, I would bet on missing brackets over PF warping.

Steve

image001 (resized).jpgimage001 (resized).jpg

#10125 3 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

This elastic is broken. Not very handy with repairs on pins just yet ... how the heck do I get in there to wrap a new elastic around these posts?
Also, anyone know the exact elastic I’d need? A link would be fantastic.
Thank you so much in advance!
[quoted image]
Edit: I took the old elastic off. It looks like they used an elastic and used a cable tie to loop the elastic. Is this common practice? How would I go about this? [quoted image]

Looks like 1 3/4". Here are the 2 pages from the TRON manual that shows you the rubber rings table/schematic.

Image 4-18-21 at 6.28 PM (resized).jpegImage 4-18-21 at 6.28 PM (resized).jpeg
#10140 3 years ago

If people are getting 20k for GNRCE, TRON LE might in fact fetch ~20k. TRON has proven itself as an awesome game and the license is arguably more universal than GNR. To be honest, in today's market, I wouldn't sell my TRON LE for under 15k. TRON LE, Rick & Morty and JP2 are my 3 favorite games.

#10148 2 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Looks like twins.

Ugly twins. No offense, but not feelings the funky two-tone armor/legs (especially on an LE).

#10153 2 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Mezel Mods used to sell target splints, to keep those targets aligned properly. Invaluable on Tron because they get whacked pretty hard.
The Tron ramps are unfortunately unobtainium.

Didn't know this! Lucky I have an extra set of new LE ramps in storage.

#10192 2 years ago

No brainer @ 25k...and I'll throw in a brand new set of ramps (even though the original ramps are flawless

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-tron-legacy-le-249

Will be interesting to see if it sells!

#10194 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Add a forum topic! I want to see the chatter!

Me too I think it already is a forum topic...delt31 already posted after I bumped it.

1 week later
#10223 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

well, not to bore you ( ) but reaching PORTAL is not the challenge on TRON
but than yes, finishing it is another story... not much guys have done it
good luck !

Or getting to Portal without needing SOS...believe the machine awards a 50M bonus for that. I've been to Portal many times, but only completed it without needing SOS once. My son has done it several times.

#10225 2 years ago
Quoted from N-Squared:

Yet on my machine your score still sits firmly in the GC position.

Sweet. Yeah, on my Cali TRON, my son has kicked his dad's butt. Oh well.

#10228 2 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

How exactly does one beat Portal? Never figured out what to do once (in a long while) I get there.

Don't know...for me just getting to Portal MB is the fun. Portal MB itself is has never blown me away (in terms of rules/objectives), but I've never studied the rules (so maybe I didn't play well enough to appreciate it?).

2 weeks later
#10248 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

The transparent rubber ring on my spinning disc (bought from Pinball Center) came off after a few months. I bought a new one, removed the original double side tape (as I know it does not hold), used Super Glue, but it came off again after one week.
Is there any glue recommendation you would have to ensure it stays ?

If you want to do it right, I get a fresh disk and transparent ring (https://www.pinballlife.com/tron-plastic-spinning-disk.html). The glue atop glue doesn't work well...I've been there and done that. Working with fresh parts solved the problem for me.

Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Is this a common mod? Do you have any info on it?

No. Takes the fun away from the transparent disk. Not necessary.

1 month later
#10392 2 years ago

Tried to re-glue it.. lasted about 5 games. so ordered a new disk pad set. The only place I could find the clear pad set was from pinball mods http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/spinning-disk-p-51.html
Also ordered a new disk as well.

Smart to order the new disk. That's what I ended up doing when the pad was coming off. The glue is extremely hard to get off the disk, which makes it hard for the new pad to adhere properly.

1 month later
#10483 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Out of curiosity, do many players reach Portal ?
I was a few shots away from reaching it, just had to validate light cycles in Sea of Simulation, and I'm a below average player, so I was wondering... Either I made tremendous progress in my game skills, or the game is easier than others I own

What's really cool is reaching Portal without needing SOS! I've done it once...50M bonus! My son has done it several times...

4 months later
#10597 2 years ago
Quoted from Newtothis:

To my understanding it is unlike Elis in that I’m pretty sure Elis is tied into gameplay. I definitely agree the fiber optics add a lot to the game. I’m one of the ones who looked everywhere for an Eli’s / Pinbits kit with no luck

Considering how popular TRON has become, I'm shocked Pinbits hasn't restocked this. They could probably raise the price and none of us would blink. I currently own a heavily modded Pro with the Eli/Pinbits kit installed and love it.

#10599 2 years ago
Quoted from Newtothis:

As far as I can tell Pinbits doesn’t exist anymore but I agree I would have paid dearly for a kit. I only resorted to making my own out of desperation

Yeah, I made my own on my first TRON Pro (before Eli's kit existed). I've owned 2 Pro's and 1 LE The current Pro I own (modded by delt31 IIRC) is a beauty...the Mike Chestnut chrome is nicer than the Stern LE chrome and the Eli kit is as nice as the Stern LE lighting.

If Pinbits doesn't exist, surprised another retailer hasn't picked up the rights to build/sell it...seems like they'd sell a bunch in this market.

2 weeks later
#10602 2 years ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Relatively new to Tron and quick rule question.
How do you re-activate Sea of Simulation?
I lit all modes on Ball 1. Ball 2 got the scoop/skill shot but the SOS animations ate up my ball save and the bounce off the scoop eject drained my ball damnit!
3rd ball and I thought I’d still be in the Sea but alas I was back to normal gameplay. Scoop didn’t start SOS again. What do you do to re-activate that mode?
Cheers!

"Before getting into the SoS completion rules, it's worth noting that you
may only play SoS once during each progression towards qualifying for
Portal MB. So if you crash and burn on SoS, you have to complete any
unlit stage the old-fashioned way and cannot requalify for SoS again
(unless you play Portal and start all over again)."

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/iHvfeiha8hU?pli=1

4 months later
#10722 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Is the LE worth it? Are they coming down at all in price or still crazy?

I owned an LE and now own a heavily modded Pro (with the Eli ramp kit). When the LE's started selling for over 20k, I let my LE go. Don't miss it at all. One of the greatest LE's of all-time (since Premium's didn't exist). "Daft Punk Multi-ball" (unique to the LE) was a pretty big disappointment.

My heavily modded Pro has much nicer chrome armor and apron (Stern's chrome on the LE didn't age well at all). The higher resolution decals are also nicer on the Pro. I also prefer the "TRON" switch targets over drop-down targets (which is odd, since I usually prefer drop-downs). Considering the difficulty of making the GEM shot, it's easier to bank the ball by hitting the TRON targets.

IMG_0947 (resized).jpegIMG_0947 (resized).jpeg

#10735 1 year ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Who did you get your chrome armor from? I've considered chroming out my pro and yours looks amazing.

Thanks! The amazing Mike Chestnut I believe, who passed in 2016.

#10737 1 year ago

snaroff this is really great feedback, thank you for sharing. I remember you had an amazing LE. I was not able to afford an LE. I was able to get a hold of a phenomenal pro, that has the Eli kit, arcade mod, laser cut chrome (from pinball plating as well) rails, and a bunch more. After having my pro and then playing an LE, I’m so glad to have my Pro and the extra 12+k it would have cost me I can buy a ton of lifetime supply of cheeseburgers with [quoted image][quoted image]

Wow...your Pro looks sharp! Congrats.

Yeah, it's funny...I bought my TRON LE in 2018 and paid 10.5k for it (and shipped it from NJ=>FL). At the time, TRON LE's were fairly hard to find and 10.5k was consider "top dollar". The game sat on Pinside for months IIRC...the seller was very patient. One of the really cool things the LE came with were brand new LE ramps! So if/when my Pro ramps ever wear out, I have brand new pre-drilled LE ramps to install! In today's market, I can't imagine what the ramps are worth.

Another odd detail is right after committing to purchasing the TRON LE in 2018, a local pinball buddy in Florida offered me his for ~8.5k! I almost bought it, but decided to pass (since I'm not a hoarder/retailer). The COVID pinball bubble is sometimes hard to fully grok.

9 months later
#11206 1 year ago

Does anyone know when the apron lights are supposed to flash? Thanks for any help...trying to test them.

IMG_2508 (resized).jpegIMG_2508 (resized).jpeg
#11213 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Actually now that I'm thinking about it I think it is possible, it just won't be labeled.
The LE combines some flashers that are separate on the Pro to make room for the apron ones. Lemme see if I can look it up.
Edit: Hmm, memory might not be right. This is the LE flashers and I don't know where the apron lights are supposed to be. Steve have you tried going through the single coil test menu? Pull it up and start with 18 and work your way through this list and see if anything lights them.
[quoted image]

None of the coil tests fire up the apron flashers. They do light during gameplay, however I haven't noticed a pattern...it's fairly infrequent.

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

If you have an LE you can test them with the single coil test in the menu. #20 (Q20) FLASH: BOTTOM ARCH (LEFT) AND #21 (Q21) FLASH: BOTTOM ARCH (RIGHT). If you've added these flashers to a Pro then you will just need to test them in gameplay. Although Stern left the functionality for them in the Pro code, they removed the ability to test them in the Pro coil test menu.
During a game: They flash during various modes. They should definitely flash during the end of game light show.

Yep, it's a modded Pro and there doesn't appear to be a way to test them. Oh well. I imagine it was modded to emulate the LE, but it's hard to know.

2 weeks later
#11277 1 year ago

Finally got Aurich's insane topper installed. Wow. Photo doesn't do it justice...

IMG_2685 (resized).jpegIMG_2685 (resized).jpeg
#11279 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Lets hope not. It really does seem to clash with the design of the machine in that photo.
Definitely not for me if that's how it looks IRL.

Hmm. In what regard does it "clash with the design of the machine"? Honestly curious.

5 months later
#11443 7 months ago
Quoted from squirtbrnr:

Looking for an acrylic topper for my TRON. I believe these were made by Laseriffic. I’m looking for the one with the light cycle and have the full color LED strip in the base. Let me know if you have one and looking to sell or where I might find one. Thanks!

Mine is unused after upgrading to the Aurich topper. Was going to keep it, but since it's doing nothing here might be better to let it go. PM me if interested...not currently listed for sale.

IMG_4130 (resized).jpegIMG_4130 (resized).jpeg
5 months later
#11608 50 days ago
Quoted from sandro:

I’m actually considering selling my Tron pro. But I’d like some opinions, in general, I often strip mods from a machine and sell it separately. That is especially true with prices softening lately.
But, I actually have Jay’s other set of metal wireform ramps and LED strip lights on mine. Would it be better to sell it with the mods and try to get a premium price on it, or strip it, sell it for market price and sell (or keep) the mods separately?[quoted image]

Many collectors would prefer the original ramps w/Eli light kit over what's in the photo. Some mods make the game worth less, not more...doesn't matter what the mod cost. The wireworm ramps might be nice, but most people have never experienced how they play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.